Another Office Dress

by Erin on December 23, 2005

brown severe dress

Here's another Take Me Seriously dress, this time from Woodland Farms Antiques (this dress, I need hardly add, has never seen a farm, much less a woodland one, but I digress).

This dress has an entirely different narrative: this is the dress that the assistant wears. Wait. This is the dress that the assistant wears in the last scene of the movie, the one after she's taken over the whole office while the overbearing, martinet boss (older, male, chauvinist) has been (ill/stuck overseas/unlawfully imprisoned). He comes back to find the office running better than it ever had, the big client landed, the big deadline met, the president overjoyed … and himself now the assistant. "Are you ready to take some dictation, Mr. Elway?" the erstwhile assistant asks sweetly, wearing this dress and handing him a steno pad.

I have watched entirely too many screwball comedies, haven't I? But can't you see Myrna Loy in this dress? Who plays the poor blowhard Mr. Elway?

It's 34/26/35, and $125. It's also item #20 in the 1950s category, which is important as the site is frame-laden and you can't link directly to a product page (… have they never HEARD of bloggers?) Anyway. There's a lot (a lot a lot) of other wonderful stuff, too, but there's no search function, which is okay because they can't really spell ["umpire" waists abound] and they don't list sizes in a consistent format, so if even if you did search you wouldn't be able to find anything, anyway.

Thanks to Madelene for the link!

Anonymous December 23, 2005 at 7:58 am

Wow. Just…wow. I love the subtle horizontal stripes in the weave, too. *fans self*–Lydia

La BellaDonna December 23, 2005 at 8:56 am

Yowza. Please send … in the right size. *sigh*For what it’s worth, I suspect the fabric is a silk and wool weave, because it’s identical to a chunk that I bought for a friend. The same fabric appears in the coat of one of Jane Austen’s gentlemen in a recent film/TV adaption; possible Mr. Bingley, but now I have to double-check.Why yes, I AM a geek. How could you tell??

Anonymous December 23, 2005 at 12:39 pm

I *heart* this dress, as much for that luscious color as anything else.~Madelene

Jilli December 23, 2005 at 12:45 pm

Oh gracious. I have to point my friend Kij at that dress. It would look so, so good on her!

shana December 23, 2005 at 2:52 pm

I’ll have you know I tried on a dress today at a thrift store and thought “Oooh! She’d love this dress, it has a pocket!” Actually there were two dresses, and I may end up sending you one of them. Cause it was $0.45. Though I have no idea if it would fit you or anything. :)

Erin December 23, 2005 at 3:01 pm

Oh, wonderful! All dresses cheerfully accepted. The thrift stores where you are now must ROCK.

janellio December 23, 2005 at 11:13 pm

You know, I bet there is some kind of increased traffic/purchases at these vintage clothing sites due to your reccomendations and posting of pictures. As most vintage dresses are not my size, I have roughly 200 fantasy cocktail dresses saved to my hard drive.

Erin December 24, 2005 at 7:22 am

I hope the sites get more traffic … it’s hard to run a vintage clothing business! I need to do a week of either large or very small dresses, don’t I?

Sarah December 1, 2013 at 1:44 pm

What would an ‘umpire’ waist dress be like? It might be very precise, like a line-call in tennis. Or made out of jersey, a la early Coco Chanel. Maybe it would make people shout at you that you ‘got it wrong’ or imply that you have eyesight problems.
And don’t get me started on ‘asymmetrical’. That would just be plain rude.

Sarah December 1, 2013 at 1:51 pm

And don’t get me started on ‘assymmetrical’. That would just be plain rude.