A Net Loss.

by Erin on February 24, 2006

tasteless dress
Well, you know it's a successful dress when you have to beat up a sailor AND a tourist-trap "Indian" to get the raw materials. Jesus Hieronymus Christ, this is the ugliest thing I've seen since the 1972 Naugahyde Alive! Festival.

I'm sure very few of you will be surprised that this gem is from Victoria's Secret, whose clothes often cover (or rather, don't cover) the large and expressive range between "skanky" and "trampy". (And I suppose the few of you who are surprised are wondering, jeez, how would you build a pole-dancing routine around *that*?)

Now, I'm not against sexy dresses — but you have to admit there's a gulf between "sexy" and "gynecological", and VS dresses often leap that gulf and keep right on running into WTF?-Land. And do you know why all the VS models have that exaggerated head-tilt? They're trying to keep their precious gray matter away from the clothes, that's why. It's not provocative, it's *protective*. They actually wear lead aprons between shots.

In fact, this dress is so horrible, I feel as if I have to present an antidote. Here, look:
Elie Saab dressWhew. Thank you, Elie Saab. Thank you.

IA February 24, 2006 at 6:54 am

Of course! A Southwestern-style lobster pot! It makes yesterday’s dress at YouKnitWhat look chic and restrained. Not to mention much better for pole dancing.Gaah.

vintagecrochetgirl February 24, 2006 at 7:32 am

I was actually thinking of a way to duplicate that VS dress. You know, get out the crochet hook, grab a yard or two of a geo print fabric for the skirt. At least at least people would definitely know I’m not from around here wearing a frock like that….

Anonymous February 24, 2006 at 9:27 am

I think tarty clothes are interesting on people with no sex appeal.On Monica Belluci that would be the most crotchy dress in the world, but on Nicole Kidman…Hey Nicole, Dare’ya.

jenny February 24, 2006 at 1:21 pm

I’ll bet that this little wonder is the result of a “Recycle This!” design contest. The top was once a crocheted market bag…but you’d never know! And the bottom was made from the curtains that used to hang in the designer’s grandparents’ motor home.That Elie Saab dress is like washing your hands with scented soap and hot water after you’ve pawed your way through a really nasty thrift store. *Whew.*

schal February 24, 2006 at 2:29 pm

Now THAT is perfect beauty (the 2nd dress!) Made my day to look at it!

Floridaprincess February 25, 2006 at 10:00 pm

Well said Jenny!!! Southwestern lobster pot was very good too. It looks like something retro from the 70′s that got confused, an went for 2 different looks in one dress.

Anonymous December 19, 2006 at 1:07 am

Elie Saabs dress is very classy; you must be blind to criticize it. Please keep your nasty comment, he is a great designer. In my opinion he is one of the best. You should look deeper then the sex appeal, boobs or the ass are showing more, it shows how vulgar you are, with no taste at all. you should not be allowed to talk about fashion when your so ignorant.

Anonymous June 26, 2007 at 9:26 pm

anyone who has nothing nice to say about Elie saab is crazy. he is one man that has a great eye for detail. there is no other male designer that really knows how to create anything that looks great on anyone. He creates clothing that is different but very wearable.