Sunny California.

by Erin on March 23, 2006

Whirling Turban dress
I'm in Pasadena, it's 70 degrees outside, and there are palm trees, and azaleas in bloom, and roses everywhere. (Not to mention fish tacos.) Considering I left a frigid, gray Chicago where the appearance of a single wind-scoured snowdrop was cause for jubilation, can you fault me for rubbing it in a little?

This dress is 100% pure California, to me. It's all of old-Hollywood sex appeal distilled into five yards of fabric. (Thanks to Li in Malaysia for the link!) It's from Whirling Turban. There are no prices on the site, so I emailed them for their price list, which is a TEN PAGE WORD DOCUMENT. But it's worth reading, because for what you get, their prices seem very reasonable, and there's a ton of valuable information about what body types will be best suited by which dress — I think it's a good sign when a business doesn't say "Oh, sure, we can please everyone!" because, of course, that's impossible. Better to say right out "This doesn't work for a D cup" than to get the D-cup's hopes up, and deal with the angry D-cup returns. It's much less "buyer beware" than "buyer make an informed decision."

Anyway. Prices. It looks like most of their list will set you back about $200, although some styles are much less. They also say that they welcome special orders and requests, so if you have something you want copied, or sewn up from a pattern, it might be worth dropping them a line and seeing what you can work out.

Seventy degrees. Roses. Dresses like this. Mmmm, California.

jenny March 23, 2006 at 8:52 pm

I love these dresses! So much fun, and they’d hide a plethora of figure flaws. The only thing that I don’t like about this dress is that, up close, the little fold-down flaps at the bust remind me of a nursing bra…

jenny March 23, 2006 at 8:58 pm

I’m loving the “wing-bust bodice” dress in navy w/the pink fish on it. And I love the neckline of the “Peggy Would.”

Anonymous March 24, 2006 at 9:23 am

California is great and you came at a great time. This time last week and you would have had rain and cold winds. The weather gods must like you.

Gidget Bananas March 24, 2006 at 11:04 am

I LURVE all those dresses — alas, I don’t think any of them would look good on me. Big sniffle!

Anonymous March 24, 2006 at 12:11 pm

Hey gals, she sells on Ebay as well if it makes for any bit easier reading.. and I know she makes these from REAL vintage patterns (I’ve sold some to her!)Jen

Sara March 24, 2006 at 10:28 pm

That dress looks very much like a non-vintage one that I’m making for a wedding this summer (from a Craftster tutorial):http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=50712.0I mocked up the dress in some sheet fabric, and it actually came out! I can’t wait to get going on the real thing.P.S. I want to live in California too…..poo on rainy Seattle.

Carol March 26, 2006 at 3:48 pm

Thanks so much for posting the link to Whirling Turban! I’ve been scouring vintage clothing and pattern websites for years looking for dresses like these, but can never find them in the right size. I’m not a purist; I don’t care if it’s a reproduction, I just want dresses like those that fit. I just hope I haven’t let myself get so dumpy (working on it) that they can’t make one for me. It says on their Size Info page that your midriff must be smaller than your underbust measurement. I can get there if I suck it in a bit, and with their foundation-like construction and elasticised side-panels, I think I might be able to pull it off without looking ridiculous (especially with one of their matching bolero jackets) or passing out. What a great incentive to work out; I may print off some pics and tape them to my treadmill. I’m going to order one if they can fit me as soon as I can get my Mom over to help me take the measurements.

Ann Marwick July 10, 2007 at 11:08 am

Hi, I have been trying to send an email to this company because I want to order one of their dresses. I think I am not getting the emails through. Did they ever give you a telephone number? I cannot find it and I need this dress in a hurry. thanks Ann

Erin July 10, 2007 at 11:15 am

Did you try whirlingturban at yahoo.com? Also, I think they sell on eBay under that username, so you can try to send a message through eBay too.Good luck!

Anonymous March 31, 2010 at 6:09 pm

hey Jen,what were the original patterns?vogue? pattern number?