Stripes done right.

by Erin on June 29, 2006

striped sundress

I love this dress from Shrimpton Couture. The matching of the stripes is just perfect, and the way they narrow to a point at the center front is sure to emphasize a slender waist (or create one).

It's 36B and $145 … I have to say that I think that's worth it, just because every time I have to match stripes this way, I end up a bedraggled mess, hair on end, the air around me blue with cursing (and I have convenient access to large dictionaries of slang, so it's not just your run-of-the-mill swear words being bandied about, I have to tell you), seam ripper tightly clenched in my fist … I'm surprised anyone who touches a dress that I've had to match stripes on doesn't get an electric shock.

There are more pictures at the site; go click the image to visit them.

peg June 29, 2006 at 10:15 am

Oh but to not match those stripes perfectly will have people talking about you behind your back…or at least that’s what my mother told me. “Rip it out and try again!” she’d say. That’s why I wear solids. Lots of great dresses at that site BTW…i especially like the little robin’s egg blue number, (notice it’s a solid).

Shrimpton Couture June 29, 2006 at 10:37 am

Erin! This is Cherie of Shrimpton Couture and I wanted to throw you huge hugs and kisses for featuring my pretty little dress! Your blog is one of the best! I read it every day!xoxoxo

melissa June 29, 2006 at 10:41 am

That front V-shape has given me the most wonderful ideas for some striped fabric that I love but has been languishing in my fabric pile because it’s just… SO stripey! Yes, this will do nicely…

Anonymous June 29, 2006 at 11:08 am

nice to the the vintage back after the last two numbers. the construction of this dress is truly inspirational.

Anonymous June 29, 2006 at 11:08 am

Gidget Bananas June 29, 2006 at 11:22 am

Great collection, ms. shrimpton!

Summerset June 29, 2006 at 11:29 am

Absolutely gorgeous! This dress is perfect. This more than makes up for yesterday’s brillo pad experience.

lucitebox June 29, 2006 at 11:59 am

YUM! What a great dress.

Absinthe June 29, 2006 at 12:13 pm

Its adorable. I LOVE this one!

Anonymous June 29, 2006 at 12:29 pm

Have you tried hand basting and then using a walking foot? That always works for me. Phyllis

bani June 29, 2006 at 12:58 pm

I work part-time in a dry-cleaner’s/laundry, and one of my tasks is pressing shirts, and one of the joys of the job is looking at really well-made shirts with stripes perfectly matched on the collar and cuffs. *sigh*BTW, Erin (I’m too lazy to e-mail), have you ever seen this website? http://www.getcutie.co.uk/index.asp Have a look at the fabrics!

sweetdarlin June 29, 2006 at 1:00 pm

I’m actually not a fan of this dress. It is beautifully pieced together, but with the top and bottom covered in stripes, my eyes are lost in finding a direction. The colours are lovely though.TOODLES

ellyjobell June 29, 2006 at 2:12 pm

What a neat dress! I love that sort of cut with the shirring on the back. I had an easter dress cut like it once. It had strawberry plants on it, though. BTW, I made a Tiki dress clone( A first try anyway) It’s on my blog if you want to see it.

ellyjobell June 29, 2006 at 2:13 pm

Ahk! Fiji dress not Tiki.

rowena___. June 29, 2006 at 2:55 pm

OH MY GOSH, I LOVE THIS DRESS!i love every, single, solitary thing about this dress, down to and including the circus clown palette of colors. the design and fitting details elevate an obnoxious fabric to a work of art!

Anonymous June 29, 2006 at 4:44 pm

Wow!!!

Thoughts on Life and Millinery. June 29, 2006 at 5:03 pm

Oh Erin, please, pretty please, share your resources, and create a sister site for those who sew, and need a swearing vocabulary colorful enough to compliment our creations. Something like:”Cuss a Day: Swear With Style While Making Style”. or perhaps “Couture Cursing: Stylish Swearing for Sewing Slip Ups”.If the Rabbi is right and there is a blessing for every occasion, then shouldn’t there also be a curse for every occasion as well?

Hecate June 29, 2006 at 6:37 pm

It’s nice sewing, no doubt, but I think it’s a bit old ladyish.

enc June 29, 2006 at 6:43 pm

AND HOW! Boy were they ever done right!

demondoll June 29, 2006 at 10:40 pm

That dress is beautifully constructed. I knew only one woman who could cut and build something that precisely, and she was crazy good. Way beyond my piddly talents.

Raven June 29, 2006 at 11:08 pm

*drooling* I love that dress! I love things that are built well. I really love the way the stripes are pointing in…very flattering for girls like me who try to emphasize a small waist in hopes no one will notice the large hips and ass. I wish I had the patience to create something like that.

Shiny Blue Black June 29, 2006 at 11:52 pm

Check out this dress if you like the matching stripes – the matching even goes all the way to the cute little capped sleeves (what’s more, check out UNDERNEATH the cute little capped sleeves)I would never be posting this if it were my size!

Shiny Blue Black June 29, 2006 at 11:52 pm

Oopsies. it’s here

Marie-Christine June 30, 2006 at 2:57 am

Oh pobrecita, didn’t anybody tell you that you need a walking foot? It’s not just for quilters, it’s for people who chew through scissors while trying to match their stripes. Believe me, if -I- can miraculously match stripes with a $10 device, so can you :-)..

robertajune June 30, 2006 at 8:57 am

This dress is beyond exquisite!!! The construction is an inspiration to all dressmakers. To keep stripes matched up, try hand-basting first, then use a walking foot.Thanks for the daily boost to all of us who still appreciate good fashion.

robbie June 30, 2006 at 11:28 am

I’m undecided. Would it be possible to see it on the model that wore the polka dot dress?

tori June 30, 2006 at 9:20 pm

O My Good Golly Gosh.Gorgeous.It even allows one to wear stripes without looking stupidly trendy, which seems to be the sad reality for most clothes lately.Wow.

Valerie June 30, 2006 at 10:24 pm

Perfect. Gorgeous. If I owned this dress I would feel like such a beauty. If I also MADE this dress I would wear it and feel like a goddess!

Linmayu July 2, 2006 at 12:11 am

Oh my god oh my god oh my god. If I were not so broke I would own this dress right now.