Op-art after my own heart.

by Erin on August 21, 2006

ebay item 270020047207

Many thanks to Cherokee Geisha, who sent me a link to Capricorn Vintage on eBay. Capricorn Vintage just happens to be listing this dress, which I adore. I love op-art prints, but most of them are 1960s shifts, which are not easy for me to wear. This is an optical-illusion print (the classic temple/door one) in a 1950s silhouette! Check out this close-up:

ebay item 270020047207

A very nice size it is, too: B40/W32. It's only got a couple days left to run, so if you want it, click on the image to go to the auction.

I also love how the print gets larger as it nears the hem of the skirt — what a great effect! It reminds me of one of my all-time favorite "idea dresses" (that is, dresses I have an idea for that I won't ever be able to make) — I want a dress with a print of Tetris blocks, dropping from the shoulders to make a border of nearly-completed rows around the hem. Wouldn't that rock? Obviously, it would have to be a '50s silhouette, as well, to get the full effect, and to reference the 1980s '50s revival that was going on about the time the game was invented. Now, if only someone would make that Tetris border print fabric for me, I could get to work on it.

Anonymous August 21, 2006 at 7:56 am

This isn’t just a dress, it’s high art!

Anonymous August 21, 2006 at 8:32 am

this was up on ebay a couple of months ago, i was mulling it over, and, surprisingly, _no one_ bid. it’s lovely.

gracie August 21, 2006 at 8:40 am

Oh God. This is briliant! well. guess no one bid cos many are afraid of trying not-e-typical-kinda. shame.

oracle August 21, 2006 at 9:02 am

Ooh, yeah Tetris! Someone could paint a Tetris design on for you! On the fabric before or after you sewed up the dress. I can hear the crazy, speeding-up Russian music playing from the version I used to engage with! (Oh, God!)

Summerset August 21, 2006 at 10:04 am

Wow! That’s a fabulous dress!You just reminded me of all those hours spent playing tetris.

melissa August 21, 2006 at 10:28 am

Wow, that’s a fantastic dress, and for once, it’s actually in my size! *gasp* Though for $56 (the current amount), I’d really want to be able to try it on first…Now, when will the fabric shop starts stocking hographic and Escher prints, eh?

melissa August 21, 2006 at 10:28 am

ah, I meant holographic! “hographic” would be something a bit less classy, hahah

enc August 21, 2006 at 12:33 pm

Gee whiz, that’s clever. I really like the attention to detail.

MinaW August 21, 2006 at 2:10 pm

Love this sort-of fractal print.Erin, are you aware that inkjet prints on fabric can be made permanent and washable? The fabric needs preparation, and rinsing in a detergent solution after drying. Ready-to-go supplies (& how-tos) are available from Dharma Trading: http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/420658-AA.shtmlOf course, from a standard 8.5 x 11 print, that would be a lot of piecing, but the fabric comes in rolls, for anyone who has access to a large-format printer.WARNING: getting hooked on fabric dyeing, computer graphics, and fabric printing can be very addictive, and disruptive to one’s life and sewing projects. (“I’ll just dye the colors I want before starting to sew this project…”)

Gidget Bananas August 21, 2006 at 2:19 pm

Oooooooooh. How clever!

Absinthe August 21, 2006 at 2:40 pm

OMG! I LOVE this! I may have to bid on it.

Hecate August 21, 2006 at 5:53 pm

That is a gorgeous dress.

Minya, Warrior Seamstress August 21, 2006 at 7:18 pm

If you made the Tetris dress, you’d get lots of compliments wearing it to computer shows & science fiction conventions. I may have to figure out what that would look like for this very reason.

Anonymous August 21, 2006 at 7:59 pm

AWESOME DRESS! The seller is also awesome, a great vintie!

Dani in NC August 21, 2006 at 10:41 pm

When I pulled up this post, the first thing I thought was, “Oh, an iPod dress!”

bani August 22, 2006 at 3:07 am

This was cool! And your tetris dress sounds awesome too!

Anonymous August 22, 2006 at 10:27 am

Oh my! That is awesome. I at first thought they were images of the ipod. LOL!

ita August 22, 2006 at 11:20 am

::frowns:: The item has been cancelled.

Anonymous August 22, 2006 at 1:07 pm

Hi, this is capricornvintage. :) A lovely fellow ebayer reported my item for using the word Escher in my title, so it was ended on ebay. I have relisted it. I apoligize to all of the watchers and bidders. I didn’t realize I couldn’t use a last name in the title. :( Thanks so much for your compliments and comments! I love this site!

kaytee August 25, 2006 at 10:10 pm

Wow!After relisting, this sold for over $200!

Linmayu September 1, 2006 at 3:39 am

Hmmm. A Tetris dress would be absolutely *fabulous*. I wonder how hard it would be to print the fabric using those iron-on sheets that you use with an inkjet printer…

clew January 4, 2007 at 2:14 pm

Wouldn’t Cherokee strip-piecing (and much thought) work for a Tetris dress? I’d want that degree of intense color-contrast, and I think you can do strip-piecing with trapezoidal strips, although it takes even more thought. Me, I would maybe do one of the Folkwear designs instead; there’s a ?Turkish? coat made of widening strips. And then one could wear shiny boots and stride through the bridge of one’s spaceship.

Macey September 28, 2007 at 4:30 pm

I think this is a GREAT idea!!! I love the dress so much!! You did a great job on it! keep up the good work!

Anonymous April 5, 2008 at 11:36 am

i love it!!!!!

POJA April 7, 2008 at 10:50 pm

op art is imagine for life .I love it .

M-nim September 16, 2011 at 5:48 pm

Wow so Chick Glam! Most of my bffs would die not having it! By the way Middle School Art is doing Op-Art in class.

Liza D. May 3, 2013 at 2:02 am

Ask Tim Gunn how the Project Runway folks get their original fabrics made up each season. You CAN make that Tetris fabric (or pay someone with graphic design skills to create it). And when you do, I’ll be the first one in line to pay you to make me a dress with it!