Takes “poodle skirt” to a whole new level. And stays there.

by Erin on August 28, 2006

ebay item 300021231860

You'd think I'd like this, right? I like dresses. I am very fond of dogs (especially other people's). I like novelty prints. So why does this give the me cold heaves? It is most likely the effect of too much, yet not quite enough, realism. Silhouetted poodles? A bit cutesy, but not horror-inducing. Lifelike, yet just, somehow, "off"? Evil. Evil in 100% cotton.

(This distaste for not-quite-there lifelikeness is what causes me to assert that "The Polar Express" is a horror movie.)

Anyway, once you've washed your brain out with soap, dash over to eBay seller timelessvixen's other auctions. She usually has nice things that AREN'T so obviously from Satan's bridge line.

Anonymous August 28, 2006 at 8:13 am

Over the top, Poodle-licious!What scares me is thinking of the type of person who would wear this!!!

Stephanie August 28, 2006 at 8:23 am

Satan’s bridge line, indeed. Ha!The pose she’s striking certainly doesn’t help matters.

Jennifer August 28, 2006 at 8:24 am

Ew.If they were cartoony poodles, I might think it was kind of cute. The dress itself is fun, but those damn dogs are just creepy. I too have a problem with pseudo-verisimilitude…CGI used to really freak me out before I got used to it.

Summerset August 28, 2006 at 8:36 am

I agree, something is wrong here, but what? Maybe it’s the colors or the number or realism of the dogs. The model’s pose certainly doesn’t help, but what would you do if you were handed this dress to model?

Anonymous August 28, 2006 at 8:42 am

Hey, it could have been worse. The model could have accessorized with a black satin choker. For some odd reason the poodles remind me of the bad artwork on printed t-shirts when I was a kid. The Dukes of Hazzard used to look unreal and out of place like that. I also can’t imagine where a person would wear this dress, except to a dog show.Amy

(a different) Amy August 28, 2006 at 8:53 am
K August 28, 2006 at 8:58 am

oh mannnn i’m not the only one that’s deeply afraid of the polar express!!!!!!! haha

diane August 28, 2006 at 9:51 am

Thank-you for validating my childrens movie pet peeves! Namely the way the movie industry tries to set our children up early for adult themes. Adults like horror movies right? Why not kiddie horror movies to de-sensitize them early? I am proud of the fact that my kids refused to see “Monster House”. My 8 year old informed me that the movie was “inappropriate” for them. They also got off the Walt Disney nightmare induced ride and said quite correctly “Mommy, that was disturbing”. Jeez I love my kids….Don’t even get me started on “Toy Story”……It is not the dress that disturbs me. It is the model with the “dog aliens have taken over my body again” expression. I hate it when that happens. That makes the dress a channel for the evil invaders….Good to see you on the watch for this kind of thing Erin. You are a great American.Diane

Laura August 28, 2006 at 9:53 am

I see the Uncanny Valley was already mentioned.It’s a great concept, isn’t it?

zimmersarmy August 28, 2006 at 10:40 am

This reminds me of Truck Stop t-shirts. The poodles are done in the same style that is usually reserved for wolves, deer and mountain lions. Every once in a while you will see it translated to a shirt where the cats are walking towards you on the front and walking away from you on the back. I call those cat butt shirts. Are the poodles behinds on the back side of the skirt? That would almost take the silly level to cool. Almost.

enc August 28, 2006 at 11:53 am

It’s tawdry, alright. I contend that it might be less offensive if the model wasn’t doing that awful pose. And what is with that ersatz “Mondrian” clock in the shot?

Anonymous August 28, 2006 at 1:04 pm

The model could have played it straight, like an ad model would have. The dress, awful as it is, should be forced to stand on its own merits (if you can find any there). I think that the pose really ascerbates the satan’s bride effect of the dress. Well, at least it is an “INTERESTING” dress.

banquogirl August 28, 2006 at 3:00 pm

I think it’s the eyes – the eyes are just sort of black gaping holes in the poodle faces that don’t seem to be looking the way the dogs faces are pointing. That’s why I think they look possessed. Creepy

Seor Tronosco August 28, 2006 at 5:55 pm

Hola!I found myself more intrigued by the clock in the background of the pictures? A natural defence mechanism I suppose, don’t look into those evil poodle eyes!!

Anonymous August 28, 2006 at 11:58 pm

Pet peeve:When Americans praise people with> You are a great American.rather than “You are a great person”.Even people I’ve become good friends with have had to be educated on the existence on non-American lifeforms on this planet. regards, grumpy foreigner

Floridaprincess August 29, 2006 at 1:35 am

Poodle-licious!!! so funny I love this expression.The models pose is silly.

Marji August 29, 2006 at 8:46 am

love the silhouette, but you’re right, the border on this one is downright creepy

Anonymous August 29, 2006 at 10:45 am

Dear Grumpy Foreigner–I believe the phrase “you are a Great American” was somewhat tongue in cheek, in this instance.Anyone who would use this phrase in all seriousness has a political agenda I’m afraid to learn.

Erin August 29, 2006 at 2:32 pm

Please remember that I will delete all comments that feature name-calling, unproven allegations, or other defamatory statements about other persons referenced by a particular entry (i.e., the eBay seller, model, web site proprietor, original designer, and any comments that cross the line from critical to defamatory, etc.).(Any comments directed at me are fine.)If you think I’ve deleted a comment in error, email me. If you think I may have missed a comment that needs deletion, email me.

Gidget Bananas August 29, 2006 at 3:45 pm

Am I the only one who remembers a book called “Poodles from Hell”? I liked it; I kinda like this dress, too. Luckily I have only cats to scare.

La BellaDonna August 31, 2006 at 3:26 pm

Erin, I believe the Poodles of Satan (a/k/a Devil Dogs), can be neutralized with a vigorous application of cat hair. It will utterly confound their nefarious plans.

The Beautiful Kind November 4, 2007 at 3:35 pm

I think it’s the model’s expression and pose that’s throwing you off.