A sign of the monkopolypse

by Erin on August 31, 2006

sock monkey dress

Considering that five people sent me links to this before breakfast (including my little brother — hey Matt!), I figured that I should post it, even though I'm sure all of you saw it on boingboing already — it has just occurred to me that I get more information from boingboing than from any other place, which is either inspirational or sad, take your pick).

Click on the picture to hit the link my brother sent (Matt, why are you reading the Tampa Bay paper?), which has audio and video and whatnot. Frankly, I was too scared to listen to the audio, or watch the video. I'm not sure which would be worse. For instance, what if the audio went like this?

Radio guy (in radio voice): "We're here with Rebecca Yaker of Minneapolis baby and bedding site Hazel and Melvin's Room. Can you tell us how you came up with the idea for a sock-monkey dress OH MY GOD ONE OF THEM WINKED AT ME NO LOOK THEIR MOUTHS ARE OPENING I DID NOT KNOW THEY COULD DO THAT SHARP TEETH OMG NO NO NOT MY MIC FOR THE LOVE OF GOD HELP ME SOMEONE PLEASE AAAAARRRRGGH."

But what if the video, in addition, showed their sharp little teeth glistening with gore, and the model with her arms raised in that B-movie "I'm being controlled by forces I cannot understand" pose? That would be even more terrifying.

Now that I have an inkling of the sock monkeys' evil plan I might have to hide all the
Tony Millionaire's Sock Monkey and Tom & Pippo books in the house. UNLESS IT'S ALREADY TOO LATE. Was that the soft thump of a knitted wool foot behind me?

patsijean August 31, 2006 at 11:54 am

I’ve said this before and I will say it again. I absolutely HATE sock monkeys. In fact, I think I am more than a little afraid of those evil things. Look at them closely and carefully. See why????? Isn’t it obvious????

Jennifer August 31, 2006 at 11:54 am

Aw, MAN. Too bad You Knit What?? has ended operations…I’m with you. Those monkeys look rabid to me. The dress would be ind of pretty without them, but EEEK!

Girlonarock August 31, 2006 at 12:18 pm

I can’t tell you how refreshing it is to know that someone out there sees things as vividly as I do!!!It’s a very scary dress.

Julie The Vintage Goddess August 31, 2006 at 12:35 pm

Sock Monkeys rank up there with clowns and those dolls with the glass eyes that follow you all around the room as things that seriously freak me out.At least we now know their evil plans to take over the world.

lucitebox August 31, 2006 at 1:29 pm

*snickers*I love this dress. It is insane and wonderful! Mr. Pinkers, the sock monkey on my desk, was extremely worried when he saw it.

Anonymous August 31, 2006 at 3:34 pm

YEAH! My town made it onto A Dress a Day!For a sock monkey dress?Ummm – never mind.Amy

Anonymous August 31, 2006 at 3:41 pm

Ok…but you really need to go back and watch the video because there are actually two dresses…the other one only shown briefly, but long enough to see that it is a simple, elegant design WITH SOCK MONKEY BOOBS. Now, I have never met a sock monkey I didn’t like. I was actually born in the town where the red heel socks are made…and so the sock primate has been a part of my life since day one. But there is something ummm…a bit “off” about covering your girls with the gaping red mouth of the monkey.

Anonymous August 31, 2006 at 3:44 pm

My daughter would adore this dress. Wouldn’t it be great to have the nerve to wear it to the company dinner and dance? Better not – husband values his job. And after a few drinks, I look too much like one of those monkeys for comfort. Esther A.

mickey August 31, 2006 at 3:59 pm

I recently made my first sock monkey, albeit I used the wrong socks so mine is a little unique. But he’s in the sock monkey family and sits proudly on my dresser and watches me while I sleep. And dress. And… eek. Now I’m creeped out by my own monkey. I’m gonna show him that dress, lest he get ideas.

Hecate August 31, 2006 at 6:21 pm

That’s so silly that i really like it.

enc August 31, 2006 at 6:37 pm

It’s unnecessary, but kind of cool, like Flea’s stuffed-animal pants in that “Higher Ground” video.

matt August 31, 2006 at 7:12 pm

I don’t actually read the Tampa paper, I got the link off of FARK.com. In fact I don’t actually read anything. I have outsourced all my reading to India and they beam the information to my tinfoil hat.Much easier that way.

Anonymous August 31, 2006 at 8:49 pm

I was so focused on what was wrong with her hair, it took me a minute to realize her dress was staring at me. Now, I’m going to have nitemares! Why are some of the eyes blue??

Raven August 31, 2006 at 9:40 pm

Darn it! We took pictures of the sock monkey dresses at the fair to send you, but I hadn’t retreived them from my honey’s flickr account yet. I think the dresses are awesome, and I would totally wear them. The one with the sock monkey boobs also has a sock monkey backpack. As we were finishing taking the pics, a guy says to his wife, “do you suppose she wear those?” She replied, “I highly doubt it. Unless to a Halloween party…” I turned to G and said, “I would totally wear those out.”I’m also jealous that I can neither knit or weave my own cloth, and did not come up with the idea myself.

Oblivious Maven August 31, 2006 at 9:52 pm

From the droopy look in her eyes, the drugs are just kicking in that she had to take to wear that in public.

Anonymous September 1, 2006 at 12:50 am

That fabric looks incredibly itchy.

Floridaprincess September 1, 2006 at 2:23 am

What will they think of next.Erin you find the most entertaining things for us to look at. Your brother Mat is a hoot!!!

k. September 1, 2006 at 7:33 am

From the disembodied monkey heads all the way up to the tube-sock bow, this dress is mesmerizing in all the wrong ways. Like Donald Trump’s “hair” is mesmerizing.But it makes me feel better about my “design” skills, at least.Love the blog, Erin!

Absinthe September 1, 2006 at 7:45 am

Its positively frightening.

lulu September 1, 2006 at 9:47 am

ok, here’s the thing. I saw the monkey dress in the window of a store in my neighborhood a few months ago. It stopped me dead in my tracks, but not because of the monkies. No, the truly weird thing was the dress NEXT to the monkey dress. It was made of astro turf. Like faux plastic green made you want to miniature golf astro turf. Kinda long bladed, looked like it could use a mow. The dress, of course, was full length, like the sock monkey dress.Weird dresses. Weird Store. I visit often. And best of all, you can make your own – they have the patterns…it’s http://www.craftyplanet.comOh, the possibilites . . .

Carrie Ann September 1, 2006 at 10:05 am

Raven, I saw the dresses at the Fair, and my boyfriend also took pictures, so one way or another we will get the Monkey Boob Dress to Erin.So ridiculous and awesome.

FunnyGal KAT September 1, 2006 at 10:31 am

I can’t get over the model’s hairdo… do you think it was styled that way or was it mussed up by the monkeys running wild just before the photo was snapped? The whole look is just weird!

john September 1, 2006 at 10:42 am

too bad it didn’t have a better waistline-Carol Duvall would love this

Anonymous September 1, 2006 at 10:42 am

I think the dress is awful, but it does look better than the model’s hair. She should have kept on that dreadlock-hat thingy people usually wear over hair like that.

Tagatha September 1, 2006 at 11:25 am

This reminds me of the Mad Scientist in a South Park episode: “Do you want more asses on your monkey?” Except this would be “Do you want more monkeys on your dress?”

JuliaR September 1, 2006 at 12:29 pm

The Horror. The Horror.

Lisa Laree September 1, 2006 at 12:30 pm

Well, it is 12:24 PM in my neck of the woods and I still can’t find a new dress for today.Did the sock monkeys get Erin? Should we send a rescue team?

Lori September 3, 2006 at 11:37 am

I had the pleasure of seeing both dresses at the MN Fair – they were a hit! Heard comments – most wondering what was the deal (Minnesotians are not known for their creativity and fashion sense…). If you are interested in the other dress, I have a couple photos on my blog – http://www.sewcrazy-mn.blogspot.com.~Lori

Marji September 5, 2006 at 1:12 pm

the scariest thing is, there were not only this one, but TWO monkey dresses at the Minnesota State Fair. who and what were they thinking? the other was a bit more form fitting.

Anonymous December 30, 2006 at 6:56 pm

Happy new year !-! o:)))))

The Beautiful Kind November 4, 2007 at 3:37 pm

The material used to make this dress is not itchy at all – sock monkeys are not itchy. They are made from red heel socks, the softest thing a lumberjack wears, even softer than his crazy ass beard. I want this for my wedding dress, and I want a train carried by two sock monkeys in tuxedos, and I want a little sock monkey flower girl and…you get the idea.