Duro Live Action Shots!

by Erin on September 14, 2006

If you want to see a never-posted-before Duro dress of mine on video, go here. It's about a minute or so from the end — don't worry, the whole thing is safe for all eyeballs.

You should know me when you see the dress, but, if not, I'm the wildly gesturing (and possibly just a teeensy bit overly-didactic) woman in green at the podium, making Jimmy Wales smile. (Unless Nightline did some fancy editing.)

Thanks to Jimbo for the heads-up!

sheri September 14, 2006 at 5:02 pm

You’re a Star!!!You and your dress look fantastic!S.

nora September 14, 2006 at 5:37 pm

Dress and gestures befitting a star. Yay!BTW, walking down the main street of my burg today I saw surplice bodices and midriff bands on the dresses in the window display of the most chic store…either we’ve all got our finger on the zeitgeist (to freely mix metaphors) or you, in your stardom, are exerting your influence for the good.Keep up the good work!

carrie September 14, 2006 at 7:46 pm

how neat! and, of course, great dress!

Gigi September 14, 2006 at 10:47 pm

OMG, you’re famous! The dress looks great in action.

Shannon Ann September 15, 2006 at 7:58 am

You are so much more stylish than others featured. Long Live the Duro!!!

Anonymous September 15, 2006 at 8:04 am

Oh my goodness – we’ve come to know you so well through this site. Haven’t got a clue what you look like, but didn’t I just know which one you were in the video! And all because of the dress!Have visited a particular Wiki site and found a mistake, but didn’t feel authorised enough to correct it. Now I’ve watched this video, I might just go back and do it.

Anonymous September 15, 2006 at 8:06 am

Btw – the last entry was from Esther A. For the umpteenth time I’ve forgotton my log-in details, and I just can’t be bothered any more to trudge through the proceedure to get them back. One day, perhaps.Esther

Becky O. September 15, 2006 at 8:08 am

Well done! Everyone was smiling at you, I’m sure for both your wit and attire.You rock.~Becky

Anonymous September 15, 2006 at 8:18 am

do you have sections on wikipedia you watch over?

john September 15, 2006 at 10:46 am
Tiger Feet September 15, 2006 at 11:41 am

Wow, you look so bright, stylish and put-together. It makes me SOOOOO sad though to see the other people featured. What has happened to people? Have we (or they really, not counting myself among them!) lost all appreciation of acceptable standards of appearance, or even just the joy of dressing to impress?How hard would it be for men to throw out the tees and buy a dapper shirt, with a sporty jacket. It’s doesn’t have to be square – just look how good Andre 3000 or Justin Timberlake look when the’re photographed. This whole Tee-shirt Nation thing is really depressing.

Erin Elizabeth September 15, 2006 at 12:05 pm

Oooo! The shot of you in the dress was way too short. But being the communcations graduate student geek that I am (see the blog), I thought the whole 8 minutes was facinating.

julia fc September 15, 2006 at 4:04 pm

One of my favorite colours! Awesome. Go Wiki!

MasoumaRose September 15, 2006 at 6:54 pm

Wonderful Wonderful! You wonderful!

gracie September 15, 2006 at 9:17 pm

erm… wheres the video?

Floridaprincess September 16, 2006 at 12:33 am

Erin, you look great!!! They must have edited it was like flashes of you. The little video was a great story too. I looked up something last night on Google and it took me to this site. I learned so much about yarn from this site, that I did not know. I thought the info was really great. I did not know anything about this site till this video. Thankyou for teaching me something today.Woo-hoo for knowledge!!!

arabellaesmerelda September 16, 2006 at 9:45 am

John always manages to make me laugh. Thanks.

Jan September 17, 2006 at 10:22 am

Gosh Caroline, thank you thank you thank you! Very rarely does anyone denounce the T-Shirt nation! That was awesome! I loved your comments!!I am so sick of having to explain or justify my “dressed up” appearance.I don’t want to wear a tee shirt and shorts or jeans! I love to wear a dress! It’s FUN being a “girl”! Thank you for being out there. Currently I know no one like me. I am isolated in my entire family, circle of friends, and husband’s family especially. The next time anyone asks me “Why are you so dressed up?” I am going to cry.

bani September 17, 2006 at 2:27 pm

Argh, I hardly saw you at all! Way too fast. But the little I saw looked fabulous. :-D

Dani in NC September 17, 2006 at 7:27 pm

Jan, I found out what you mean first-hand about justifying your appearance. I am definitely part of the T-Shirt Nation, but I’ve always admired people who took the time to dress well. About a week ago I decided to become one of them, and you can imagine the reaction I got. All of my coworkers asked me if I was going on a date or a job interview after work. These days you have to have a special occasion to put on a nice dress. Either that, or you have to be self-deprecating and say that you forgot to do laundry :-).

oracle September 18, 2006 at 8:49 am

I don’t think people have any business at all judging how others dress. And, I don’t think turning prejudice onto others in an attempt to defend ourselves is any better, either. Although I understand it, from an emotional point of view. But it’s still not okay. How we dress should be for self-expression, period. I believe that we need to achieve genuine self-acceptance about how we’re dressing, and not need others to accept us first. I’ve learned this over many years. I’ve dressed out of fashion for most of my life, and do my own thing, and I used to get criticized a lot from both sides whether I dressed up or not. But this has changed for me over the years, and now people dressed differently than me come up and say how they admire my courage to do what I want, and how they always love the way I look, and things like that. And they’re from all walks of life, dressing-wise. So I know that this works.I react badly when I detect that people are judging others for how they dress, because of how much I was hurt by it myself years ago. Judgement’s not nice.

Robinson September 18, 2006 at 9:26 am

Erin, you look fabulous. I have to say that I am part of the t-shirt nation, but I mostly shovel horse manure and feed pigs and chickens and ducks. Your blog (and your green Duro dress) has inspired me to start a search for a dress to do it in though! As far as judging people for how they dress, we are a visual creature and it’s natural to react to what we see in whatever way. Maybe it sucks but that’s life.So any suggestions for what dress might look cute with a pair of rubber muckers? Unfortunately I haven’t been able to find a cute pair in my size. Curse of the Sasquatch.

oracle September 18, 2006 at 11:13 am

Reaction is different than judgement. It’s the difference between “I like this” and “I feel this way” and, even “I don’t think that flatters her” versus “There’s something wrong with YOU for being that way.” And I’m happy to say that I now know a lot of people who can see beyond passing judgement on others’ style of dress and are committed to treating people with more decency. So I can’t agree that “that’s life” — in my experience, it’s not.

oracle September 18, 2006 at 11:48 am

Erin, we miss you!

Robinson September 18, 2006 at 12:02 pm

I don’t see the difference between reaction and judgement when we’re talking about someone we have no knowledge of other than seeing what they are wearing, I’m sorry. I also haven’t seen that anyone here has cast any particular aspersions about anyone’s actual character based on their clothing. Only that their preference would be to see people who are speaking at big conferences and being interviewed for news programs dress a little more professionally.

oracle September 18, 2006 at 12:18 pm

And there it is.

Robinson September 18, 2006 at 5:46 pm

Mmmm. I guess I will consider myself judged.

oracle September 18, 2006 at 6:14 pm

Unfortunately, there is no point in us continuing this exchange, because we’re not talking on the same level. When I first entered into this discussion several steps back, my intent was to create some awareness about the fact that dressing is a personal choice, and even though we may not like what we see in other people’s choices, it’s really important to grant them, and respect their choices, when we comment about them. What has happened now is that the exchanges have moved into the area of one-upmanship. Whatever I might say, you are just going to reverse it back on me. This is not a useful conversation, so I’m not going to contribute anything more to it.

SDMC September 18, 2006 at 7:16 pm

Cool dress! My children consider “Wiki” to be the ultimate answer guide….so it was neat for me to see the whole film.Even my children and dh comment on how different people dress now compare to prior time periods. It is just so hard to permanently give up the jeans….lol.

SDMC September 18, 2006 at 7:17 pm

GEEZ — forgive my grammar….how differently people dress

john September 19, 2006 at 8:04 am

shara, I read the sentence as if the word was modifying people rather than the verb to dress.