Holiday listmaking: Amphigorey Again

by Erin on November 22, 2006

ebay item 8305987417

I'm thinking about making a series of posts over the next couple weeks with suggestions of lovely (as India has it) Ramakwanzachanamas presents. One book that I would think anyone of any sensibility at all would thrill to receive would be Amphigorey Again, the latest collection of Goreynalia (a posthumous one, which is strangely appropriate).

I mean, whose tastes DON'T run to morbid situations featuring beautifully dressed ectomorphs? Anyone? The dresses in the "Neglected Murderesses" series of postcards alone … those dames knew how to dress, as well as dispatch.

If you have suggestions for things you think I ought to recommend, well, you all know where my email address is by now, or you can leave a comment … I'll try to do these in addition to the Regularly Scheduled Dresses, if I can.

Anonymous November 22, 2006 at 8:34 am

…and if we are impatient with the holiday demands of all and sundry but especially our children we can just click here (http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Museum/5999/gorey/beastbaby.html) to find renewed appreciation for the little darlings by comparison…

nancy bea November 22, 2006 at 8:54 am

Oh, excellent idea! Unlike my children, I have difficulty coming up with a list of things I want. The things I really want are ineffable, not purchasable, especially by those whose allowance is on the small side. It is hard to buy a cure for autism or an end to the arms race when your allowance is $4 a week! But this book is a great suggestion, I love Gorey and did not know about this one. I hope you will continue your gift suggestions for those of us who are holiday-consumption-challenged!

Thoughts on Life and Millinery. November 22, 2006 at 9:26 am

Ramakwanzachanamas? Huh?Have you been at the cooking sherry again?There is no way to celebrate (let alone pronounce) all those holidays in one word without some help from the “sauce”.Happy Thankfulness Day. May you have so much to be thankful for this year that you are still listing things you are thankful for during your last bite of dessert. And then you’ll remember some more.PS: Who’s the cajun in your crew? Turduchen, yea-ah!

India November 22, 2006 at 10:37 am

I’m afraid I cannot claim credit for coining the term Ramakwanzachanamas (which I have no trouble pronouncing, Jill–it rolls off the tongue, rather like Methobapterian, the family religion of a friend of mine). I learned it from my friend Kate, the former poet laureate of Carrboro, North Carolina. Who better to expand your vocabulary than a poet laureate?

Ginamonster November 22, 2006 at 2:24 pm

I don’t know, but I do know a guy who is getting that book for a holiday gift!

Robinson November 22, 2006 at 5:16 pm

I adore Gorey.

Anonymous November 23, 2006 at 1:38 pm

I love Gorey. Back when I was dating my DH we met him at a book fair. We purchased a poster by him which illustrates the ABC’s with each letter the name of a child who was in the process of, how to put this delicatetly, expiring. It sounds sick but actually it is pretty funny. However, after we had children we put it away as we didn’t want our kids to get the wrong idea about their parents. Our poster has Gorey’s autograph.

Kai Jones November 23, 2006 at 8:38 pm

Completely unrelated to this post, but I’m sharing anyway. Because of seeing all the Duro dresses on this blog, yesterday I bought my first dress in years, and it’s a Duro.http://lanebryant.charmingshoppes.com/pagebuilder/lane_bryant_product_page?item=8829475&pagesize=3We planned dinner out for Thanksgiving and I wore it with black striped pantyhose and black heels. And I looked fabulous!Thanks for the inspiration.

john November 24, 2006 at 8:34 am

just break it down !Ra ma kwan za ha na mas !dropping out the “c” two more times Ra ma kwan za ha na mas !Ra ma kwan za ha na mas !Faster this time !Ra ma kwan za ha na mas !Ra ma kwan za ha na mas !Ra ma kwan za ha na mas !I think you’ve got it !

Madeleine Powers November 24, 2006 at 11:19 am

Speaking of e-mails and submissions and dresses (oh my), whatever happened to the Making Cheese contest?

Robinson November 26, 2006 at 6:02 pm

Kai Jones, that is a really cute dress. I like that it’s knee length.

Anonymous November 26, 2006 at 9:20 pm

Erin. Sunday night. In withdrawal. Waiting for tomorrow. Sigh.

Kai Jones November 27, 2006 at 4:39 pm

I have gotten so many compliments already from wearing the dress! And my legs look fab!