Traditional Dress/Untraditional Materials (another in the continuing series)

by Erin on November 27, 2006

chocolate dress

I know it sounds like a bad this-is-what-girls-like stereotype, but this dress is made (at least partly) of chocolate. Amy sent me the link to this dress (from the LJ community Sew Hip). The dress was part of a contest at the Twin Cities Chocolate Extravaganza, and was created by LJ blogger redheadedchick, a student in the Fashion program at the University of Minnesota.

Here's her original sketch:

chocolate dress

The belt, the bows on the shoes, the bracelet, and the dots on the dress were all chocolate, made by a pastry chef who was teamed up with redheadedchick for the contest. Supposedly the room was warm (occasioning some anxiety) but everything held up except the belt … which the model cleverly held up herself with her fashion-y hands-on-hips pose.

Fun, huh? The only change I would have made would have been to make a teeny little red-and-white striped (peppermint) pillbox hat. I love peppermint hot chocolate …

Anonymous November 27, 2006 at 7:39 am

She’s back! Yea! This is so cool and creative even if no chocolate were involved..

john November 27, 2006 at 8:12 am

and dark chocolate is good for your arteries, too

Thoughts on Life and Millinery. November 27, 2006 at 8:19 am

Peppermint striped pillbox hat.If they make it, will they wear it?Too late. I’m making it, and I’ll be wearing it.

Thoughts on Life and Millinery. November 27, 2006 at 8:19 am

Robinson November 27, 2006 at 10:04 am

I love that dress. I hope she makes it again in a more wearable form. I would wear it. Of course, I’d also probably get chocolate on it, but in a less artful way.

kmkat November 27, 2006 at 10:06 am

What a cool concept — thanks for the links. I’m a University of MN grad from sometime in the last century in a totally boring but financially solvent major. It’s good to know that the UofM isn’t all about business. It was not-so-lovingly referred to as the “great gray mediocrity” when I was first there.I would totally eat that dress :-)

Julie November 27, 2006 at 11:33 am

Wouldn’t you think that at a “chocolate extravaganza” in which pastry chefs are assigned to help make dresses, the room for the contest would be specifically chilled? I smell a rat. And didn’t I see Brenda loitering around the thermostat just before the contest? Hmmmm…In jest,a not-so-titian-haired reader

Marina November 27, 2006 at 3:38 pm

Hi. Your blog is great ! I leave in France and I love fashion. If you enjoy shoes, take a look on my shoesMarina (from France)

n.b. November 27, 2006 at 3:39 pm

What a charming dress! Even if the chocolates were sequins or embroidery, and the chocolate belt were just leather or velvet, it’s a delicious design.

Jen November 27, 2006 at 5:44 pm

That is such a lovely dress! I agree, if it were in a more wearable medium, I’d wear it.

ambika November 27, 2006 at 11:00 pm

I had no idea this was *food*. It looks so wearable.