dresses made of balloons and, um, “balloons”

by Erin on December 27, 2006

balloon dress

Doris sent me links to both these dresses. The first links to a site in Cyrillic, which I don't read (and probably never will, as "read Russian, Bulgarian, Serbian, etc." keeps dropping on my life to-do list, and is now set between "go back to Ecuador" and "learn to juggle flaming pins"). But it's very interesting, isn't it? And because so many of the other images on that page are child-oriented, I'm sure this dress has nothing to do with balloon fan-dancing or burlesque performance (no link to that art form because you can google it up for yourself, thank you).

balloon dress

This other dress is from an exhibit at the UCLA Fowler Museum, and is the work of artist Adriana Bertini [warning: site exceeds minimum RDA of Flash animation]. It's from an exhibit called "Dress Up Against AIDS: Condom Couture", and all the dresses are made from condoms. The thumbnails are staggeringly gorgeous; I'm going to be in LA in a week or so and I'm going to make it a point to go see this exhibit, as well as this one at MOCA (thanks to Miss Maya for that last link). Anything else I should do in LA while I'm there?

Debra December 27, 2006 at 10:47 am

From a distance, the last dress looks so soft and lovely!

the_lazymilliner December 27, 2006 at 11:44 am

How about roller-skating along oceanfront, Erin? Wear a dress and locals will think you’ve run astray from a Hollywood movie!

Rose December 27, 2006 at 11:51 am

I just realized that I haven’t been commenting here much since I started using an RSS feed. Meep!The first dress is fun, but the second artist’s stuff is out-of-control gorgeous. How on earth? Some people’s brains are just wired differently, you know?

Valsauce December 27, 2006 at 1:02 pm

While in Westwood, get yourself some cookies at Diddy Riese. Best deal in town.

Anonymous December 27, 2006 at 3:12 pm

Go to the fashion district; http://fashiondistrict.org/ has a map and info on the area. It is near MOCA so you might be able to make a day of it, if you have the time. Also check out FIDM, on South Grand and 9th, their scholarship store always has some interesting stuff for super cheap. http://www.fidm.com/ They also have a gallery but don’t have any exhibits up until January 29th, but they do have a lot of interesting online exhibits. There is also a fashion exhibit up at LACMA until January 7th, http://www.lacma.org. That’s just some clothing stuff off the top of my head.

Steph December 27, 2006 at 11:25 pm

Wow! What can I say? Those dresses are… Interesting??

Anonymous December 28, 2006 at 9:38 am

Oh both dresses are great! What patience the first one must have had.And thanks for the link to the MOCA! I would have never heard about it. I can’t wait to make a trip to see my two loves shown together. Happy New Year!

ambika December 28, 2006 at 11:40 am

I’d seen these condom dresses in other places–this is by far the prettiest and least obviously made of condoms. The balloon one is fantastic and would so fun as a costume.

Ms. Kat December 28, 2006 at 4:57 pm

YES! The other things you should see in LA are me and Lori and the Midnight Rollaway rink in Glendale.

Anonymous December 30, 2006 at 1:43 pm

That russian site was lovely. Did you look around and see the fabulous wedding dresses athttp://www.lobzik.pri.ee/modules/news/article.php?storyid=653Hard to believe they’re all made from toilet paper!

adriana bertini January 28, 2007 at 4:11 pm

Tks for comments and the post!Adriana Bertini*adrianabertini@terra.com.br

Anonymous January 20, 2008 at 4:41 pm

OMG GREAT DRESSES VERY CREATIVE BUT IF ANY1 WEARS THE BALLONI DRESS AND THE BALLONGS WILL POOOOOOOP UO WAT WILL HAPPEN???HAH INTRESTING!!

Anonymous January 28, 2008 at 4:29 pm

don’t put helium in the balloons that are blown up or u wont stay grounded for long