Waiting For Summer

by Erin on January 30, 2007

popsicle dress

Do any of y'all remember the popsicle fabric I bought off eBay, way back in December 2005? Well, I hardly remembered it either, until I was in the sewing room this past weekend looking for something else, and then I remembered that last fall I had started to make a dress out of it.

I say "started", because, in a true triumph of hope over experience, I put it together in September. This happens to me a lot. It's early September, it's still in the high seventies, degree-wise, and I think, "Oh, sure, I'll make one last summer dress and wear it for a few weeks before I break out the sweaters." No. I usually get it right to this stage (the dress above is missing the side zipper and the hem isn't finished) and then, BOOM! The temperature drops to 50, I have absolutely no interest in popsicles, either to eat or to wear, and the poor dress has to live in purgatory all winter long.

I figure round about March I'll feel like finishing this up. Here's a close-up of the bodice:

popsicle dress

I'm very pleased, though, that this dress has all the colors I said I was going to concentrate on this summer: yellow, blue, green, and orange. If I really stick to that plan, maybe I can even justify buying these shoes, in blue …

Anonymous January 30, 2007 at 8:04 am

I am impressed by how smoothly the bias binding is applied and that you added yellow piping with the bias binding at the neckline.Amy

twollin January 30, 2007 at 8:15 am

oooo, love the dress. Any hopes for some left-over fabric for a belt…with a covered buckle? Hmmm? And, of course, you can always justify the shoes. I mean, you saved so much on the dress, right?(at least, that is my favorite justification for the shoes…)

Jenn January 30, 2007 at 8:18 am

Ohhh…want. Want. So pretty!On a more verbal level, Erin, what’s the pattern number for this dress? I imagine that it’d be easy, but if I’m going to try something like this, I’d like to reduce the error margin.Thanks!

Anonymous January 30, 2007 at 8:22 am

Definitely finish this one – so you’ll have something to wear with those great shoes you deserve!

Miz Shoes January 30, 2007 at 8:38 am

1. Yes, pattern number please, because I want to make one of these, as well.2. It’s just me, but I’d go for the green version of the shoes… I know you have blue piping and all, but on my monitor the greens are a better matchy, without being all matchy.3.Yeah. There was a three, when I started. Not so much now. Sorry.

Debby January 30, 2007 at 8:54 am

Really like that dress and it just says “SUMMER” doesn’t it. And the shoes do look like they would just finish off the dress.

Henriette January 30, 2007 at 8:54 am

You’re on a roll! February’s Show and Tell is starting early…Very nice work, the fabric is not “me”, but I love the work and design – very impressive!

lucitebox January 30, 2007 at 9:01 am

YOU ARE KILLING ME!I love, love, love that dress. I don’t remember the fabric and I think I squealed when the dress popped up as today’s entry. I want that dress. Holly

Isabelle January 30, 2007 at 9:14 am

What a great dress you’ll have next summer! And I love, LOVE those shoes.

Anna January 30, 2007 at 9:22 am

Oh my…that’s darling.

sara jane January 30, 2007 at 9:27 am

Fab dress. I’m glad I’m not the only one with half-sewn seasonal projects.I also vote for the green shoes.

Anonymous January 30, 2007 at 10:55 am

i just squealed out loud when i went to that shoe websiteamanda.

Gidget Bananas January 30, 2007 at 11:22 am

Oh, that IS adorable, and it looks so easy to wear! Hey, why not have a movie star moment and get a pair of those shoes in every color?

patsijean January 30, 2007 at 12:06 pm

Love the dress; love the shoes. Why aren’t they making beautiful shoes like that these days? The only way to have a confidant walk is to wear shoes that will walk with you, support you, be part of the process. The current fashion favorite, Slides (I imagine cheap and easy to produce) will not do that. Now, if they had those lovely shoes in wide widths, or in pre-Free Trade Agreement sizing, I would be a customer for life. I love the Babydoll pumps. You

nora January 30, 2007 at 1:19 pm

Great dress! I love the trim and the sleeve shape. I am ending up with a lot of turquoisey-blue things lately too…but I also am weak for that color green, so I too vote for the green shoes, or preferably one in each color (pink/red/orange combo is also GREAT – not so great next to my face, all the more reason to get the shoes!)I think it would be a public service if you got those shoes and reviewed them for us (also just your fabulousness in them, with that dress, would be a public service). I love the Re-mix styles but have heard mixed reviews on the comfort (my friend has a pair that she loves, and she’s vegan – they’re her only leather shoes, a big splurge). My favorite new shoes are Miz Mooz, and there’s a really cute mary jane style – in light green! – on sale on the infinity shoes website. I just keep waiting for them to go a bit more on sale…

Shannon January 30, 2007 at 1:19 pm

De-lurking… I really like your blog. I am a dress fan myself, and working on increasing my dress wardrobe almost as I type. Today’s dress is just too cute – so fun for summer!! And as many have already said, those shoes are fantastic!! I’m going to have to turn on the charm big-time and see if my hubby won’t let me get the turquoise ones…

Lisette January 30, 2007 at 1:31 pm

The popsicles are too cute, I would get the shoes in every color just to be prepared. You never know, and those are going to be your colors for the summer…

lucitebox January 30, 2007 at 1:47 pm

Yes! If you do buy them, review the shoes for us. I have heard mixed reviews on Re-mix shoes, too. I would love to know how they work for a working mom who probably does a fair amount of walking in Chicago. Every color? Wouldn’t that be AWESOME! If I liked the fit, I would even if I couldn’t afford to do it!Holly

Anonymous January 30, 2007 at 2:02 pm

It’s adorable! It’s the definite summer dress, I wish it was mine… :)/Nanna

Kristen January 30, 2007 at 3:34 pm

oh yes, pattern number Please!!

samsara January 30, 2007 at 4:32 pm

What a fabulous novelty print. I love the colors of the popsicles, but the line drawings of the ice cream carts really steal my heart. The trimming is just perfect.This is my first post after much lurking. Erin, I love your blog! Thank you for sharing all these beautiful dresses.

Erin January 30, 2007 at 4:41 pm

Aw, you guys are all so nice!I’ll see if I can’t dig up the pattern number … I vaguely remember doing the top from one pattern and the skirt from another, and the bias binding was because I hate doing facings!

Linda January 30, 2007 at 6:41 pm

Love this dress, it does speak so mcuh of summer and I wish it was here already. But I got to say I love, love, love the shoes!

Sherry January 30, 2007 at 6:44 pm

I really like the neckline. What a great idea. You cold wear one blue show and one green shoe.

Rebecca January 30, 2007 at 7:10 pm

I hate to be redundant so I’ll recap in brief: shoes-good, dress-better, DAD-the best part of my daily surf. Thank you!

Juliane January 30, 2007 at 8:48 pm

This made me smile. The only thing I don’t like about it is that it’s not mine.As an accessory, how about a pair of sunglasses with bright yellow frames?

Anonymous January 31, 2007 at 2:02 am

I’m a little slow (I’m often told), but htwollen mentioned in her tag reply about Gail Griggs Hazen who had the “revolutionary idea that most of us are an entirely different size in the back half to the front”. Given the recent discussions on “military bearing” and pattern alterations to front and back, I tried to Google Ms Griggs Hazen to find out more but to no avail. Can htwollen (or anyone else for that matter) shed some more light? Is there a book? Are there commercial patterns? I,too, would like to save a lifetime of unpicking muslins!Emma from DownUnder

Anonymous January 31, 2007 at 6:47 am

Wow! What a great print. Very gutsy to make a dress out of it! I just can’t make myself wear anything above a subtle print.

Anonymous January 31, 2007 at 6:47 am

Anonymous January 31, 2007 at 6:47 am

Anonymous January 31, 2007 at 6:47 am

Anonymous January 31, 2007 at 6:47 am

Anonymous January 31, 2007 at 6:47 am

Anonymous January 31, 2007 at 6:47 am

Anonymous January 31, 2007 at 6:47 am

Anonymous January 31, 2007 at 6:47 am

Anonymous January 31, 2007 at 6:47 am

Anonymous January 31, 2007 at 6:48 am

Sorry ! Didn’t mean to post that so many times! Computer was being slow/stupid!

JenniferD January 31, 2007 at 7:05 am

Hey! I’ve got a summer dress in the same fix. She finally got her ten button holes and buttons sewn, but now languishes waiting only for her hem. A lovely thing. I love your pattern, looks like a very nice quickie one. Where can I get one like it???Ta!

La BellaDonna January 31, 2007 at 7:58 am

Emma from Down Under, I’m not familiar with Gail Griggs Hazen off-hand, but if you go to trulyvictorian.com, all their patterns, bodices, skirts and whatnot, are sized in that fashion. Don’t panic because it’s a website for Victorian patterns; look at the “bodices,” especially in the Natural Form section, and realize that they would make perfect jackets, or basic … bodices. Once you have one bodice that fits properly – regardless of the fact that it comes from a Victorian pattern website! – you can use it to alter all other patterns, from all other manufacturers, to fit equally well. The patterns (and the website) show the formula for fitting the garments; the patterns are available in sizes 30″-50″ bust. The formula is pretty simple: measure your back from crease to crease (that is, where your arm joins onto your back and makes creases/folds in the skin of your back; you’ll probably need help for this, since you need to measure your body closely, and not your clothing), and pick the correct back size. This will have a corresponding measurement called an Adjusted Back; this measurement is subtracted from your Bust Measurement, to get your Adjusted Front Measurement. You then use the Front pattern piece with that Adjusted Front Measurement. IMO, it’s the closes to an ideal fitting approach I’ve encountered yet – the back is fitted; the front is fitted. No assumption is made about “what kind” of front should go with any given back; just that that the front measurement, combined with the back measurement, will equal the total measurement! You can be broad-backed with a narrow front, narrow-backed with a broad front, broad back and front (as in pretty equally divided), etc. Where necessary, if the pattern is offered in two separate sizes, what separates the sizes is whether there is a difference between the bust and waist of 7 inches or less/7 inches or more (regardless of the number of bust inches, total). I made a staggeringly beautiful wedding dress for my sister-in-law, starting with some of their patterns, and the only real fit difference was going down one size, total (that is, one size smaller back than I’d originally picked, and one size smaller front than I’d originally picked) – and this was for a bosomy girl with a strong hourglass shape. And although the patterns are designed to be worn over corsets, I find they fit just fine over my bra. http://trulyvictorian.netfirms.com/instrucfull2.html (fit instructions)http://trulyvictorian.netfirms.com/catalog/420.html (basic bodice, natural form)Some Helpful Hints: If you have a fairly Military Posture – that is, if you stand very erect, with your shoulders back and down, or if you have a very 18th Century posture, and you carry your shoulderblades compressed [that is, squeezed close together], you will probably have a very narrow back measure. If you try clothes on and the backs are baggy, even if the fronts are snug, you will have a narrow back measure (Erin’s “reverse dowager hump/gap” and my “room for a joey”), and a correspondingly wider front measure. If, on the other hand, clothes tend to pull across the back, or if you tend to slump in the modern “20 hours a day on the computer” posture, you will have a wide(r) back measure, and a correspondingly narrow(er) front measure. Remember to start with the back measure, always. Especially for the busty ladies who spent years buying patterns that were too big, because they were buying by their bust measurements, rather than their high bust measurements, this is an opportunity to make a bodice that really, truly fits you. The patterns are multi-size; the one I’ve linked (TV420) is $13.00. Considering the anguish most of us have gone through in an effort to achieve something like a decent fit, I think it’s well worth it.Really Sneaky Suggestion: Something we’ve yet to address, much, on DaD, is the Specatacular Ethnic Booty. I’m not talking about your ordinary Blessed with Big Backside, of the JLo variety; I’m talking the backside which is entitled to its own zipcode, and the difficulty in fitting it, while sewing, which is not addressed in standard sewing texts. This is the backside which hikes up all skirt hems, and causes jackets to jam at the waistline, because there’s no covering it. The ladies with this type of backside are advised to try TV460 or TV463, which are bodices/jackets designed to go over a prominent rear.

La BellaDonna January 31, 2007 at 8:29 am

Hah!Author Gale Grigg Hazen, below (Fantastic Fit for Every Body, et al.):http://www.sanantonio-sews-asg.com/hazen.html

Anonymous January 31, 2007 at 9:14 am

Oh, Erin! Lovely, as always. I’m blown away by the piping/bias treatment on the neckline. I need to try piping again. I did it on a mandarin collar blouse ten years ago and it scarred me so badly I’ve been hesitant to try it ever since. I must say, though, this dress provides more than a little inspiration.–Lydia

Sara Jane January 31, 2007 at 12:13 pm

La Belladonna – Thanks for your sneaky suggestion. Being quite “non-ethnic”, I nonetheless have a zipcode-worthy booty. Will definitely check out those patterns!

Anonymous January 31, 2007 at 5:51 pm

Thanks la belladonna for all the fitting tips – will try to track down a copy of Fantastic Fit and go back through my Threads mags to look for any articles from Hazen, too.Emma from DownUnder

DivaShop January 31, 2007 at 6:19 pm

Oh, what a cute dress to frolic in! Lol, frolic sounds like more of Spring/Summer word to me.

Anonymous February 3, 2007 at 10:40 am

Please, please provide us w/ the pattern that you used for this dress. Thanks so much, Erin

nicegirl512 February 5, 2007 at 7:17 am

Love, love the neckline and sleeve binding! I am having a dolman sleeve moment; can’t get enough of them. It will be warm…eventually.

Raven February 5, 2007 at 10:35 pm

I really dig this one. Teh fabric is great, and I love the trim and piping!

Erin February 20, 2007 at 7:31 am

Hey guys, I finally found the pattern number for this one — it’s a vintage Simplicity, #3580. Sorry I don’t have a picture to post but my pattern envelope for this one is too beat up to scan!

Anonymous July 2, 2007 at 3:33 pm

Lovely dress I got so excited when I came across all this info this is ubelievable

Anonymous September 9, 2007 at 6:37 pm

Keep up the great work. It very impressive. Enjoyed the visit!

Lou December 3, 2007 at 9:51 pm

love the fabric and love the dress!especially the trimming around the top.

Anonymous January 2, 2008 at 8:35 pm

I loved all about this dress… I think I simply fell in love with this one… Got to get one like this!

Cindy S February 2, 2014 at 10:10 pm

If you still own this dress. I would love to own it! Please comment!