not exactly what is usually meant by “basket case”

by Erin on February 13, 2007

1940s basketweave dress

Beth sent me (I don't want to tell you how long ago) this link to The University of Virginia Collection of Historic Dress … well worth spending a little while (by "little while", of course, I mean "the rest of the working day") clicking around it.

This dress is, quite simply, heart-stoppingly gorgeous.

1940s basketweave dress

Wouldn't you want to wear this with yellow satin shoes and clutch, and (of course) yellow diamonds? Or at least citrines?

I hope someone who's attending the Oscars decides to wear something like this. Maybe I should start posting "Oscar Dress Suggestions 2007". Send me links and I will!

Anonymous February 13, 2007 at 10:44 am

Here’s my vote for someone’s Oscar dress, from Gaultier’s recent haute couture show in Paris:http://www.style.com/slideshows/fashionshows/S2007CTR/JPGAULTI/RUNWAY/00160m.jpgImagine that blue popping off the red carpet, which would in turn bring out the red decoration at the bust! Headdress fabulous but optional, depending on whether one of your competitors is seated behind you.

Lauren February 13, 2007 at 10:47 am

Wow… that is gorgeous. Now I’m going to have to look at more pretty dresses to submit for Oscar suggestions. Oh darn… what a boring, ugly waste of time, haha.

Brian February 13, 2007 at 10:51 am

So apparently there is something good about my alma mater.I really should borrowed the money and gone to Chicago, though. Then I could have hung out with Edwards for four glorious years.

Erin February 13, 2007 at 10:52 am

Edwards? What about me? Oh, wait, I’m older than he is. Two glorious years? :-)

Rebecca February 13, 2007 at 11:45 am

Holy Cats! Did you see that the bottom of the skirt measures 40 yards?! That is truly Oscar-worthy! Let’s take a moment of silence for the woman who put in that hem.

Suzanne Earley February 13, 2007 at 11:49 am

Wow. That is gorgeous. Makes me wish I had somewhere to wear an amazing dress like that. Of course, that particular dress would look hideous on me (not remotely my color…)

becky f. February 13, 2007 at 12:12 pm

That dress is amazing.unrelated: I was at a lecture last night on accessories in the Renaissance, and the speaker ended by speaking about a revolution in accessorizing — the pocket! It made me think of dressaday. :-)

Terry Ellen February 13, 2007 at 12:42 pm

You may want to try http://cti.itc.virginia.edu/~dress/contents.htmlThe introduction linked to does not have any navigation, and you can’t get to the dresses!The dresses are the point, right?

Erin February 13, 2007 at 12:47 pm

Thanks Terry! Fixed!

Ladygrande (Texas Marie) February 13, 2007 at 1:10 pm

This yellow dress is fabulous, but I like much better the 1940′s red velvet (1940s Red Velvet Evening Dress with Flared Skirt). Oh, my goodness! Thanks for introducing us to the site.

Andrea February 13, 2007 at 2:25 pm

The 1950s Mint Green Chiffon Party Dress is so sweet.Makes me wish I was a sweet young thing going to a party in it.

Cathy February 13, 2007 at 3:46 pm

Amber. I would consider wearing amber with this dress.

Catherine February 13, 2007 at 3:50 pm

This dress is amazing!!! absolutely stunning, I want one:-(

Moonwishes February 13, 2007 at 4:08 pm

I lost my breath on this dress even before I read your comments. the only thing to improve it would have been more pink in the dress!

Susan February 13, 2007 at 5:11 pm

What a stunning dress!!!

Hege February 13, 2007 at 5:53 pm

It’s just amazing! I don’t know which era I like better, 20s, 30s, 40s, all are so spectacular. I wish it were possible to see this collection in person…

Jen February 13, 2007 at 7:02 pm

Stunning! Peridot might be nice, too…or rubies.Gah. What a dress! And thanks for the website, too…

Helen February 13, 2007 at 10:50 pm

that dress is the best dress I have seen in many moons! I too would love it in a different colour. How many people could carry off that yellow?Sigh it is gorgeous

Anonymous February 14, 2007 at 4:58 am

I can see Reese Witherspoon wearing it….

S. February 14, 2007 at 7:27 am

Sigh, who wouldn’t want to be such a gorgeous basket case?

Carolie February 14, 2007 at 7:30 am

I never thought a dress would make me get teary-eyed…but this one did. My breath caught in my throat, and I YEARNED for the body and the lifestyle that would fit this dress. I check every so often for more of your “Secret Lives of Dresses”…they are truly amazing. If/when you decide to publish, please keep me in mind. I’m a book designer/typesetter, and I’d love to discuss designing the simple setting for the lovely mouthfuls of your tales.carolie(at)wordmagix(dot)com

knitgirl February 14, 2007 at 8:41 am

Congratulations, Erin, I saw an article about your That’s Amore! book. It sounds really interesting. I love learning about idioms in different languages. I studied Russian at the U of C many moons ago and had a book of nasty Russian words and phrases, that was lots of fun, but the languages of love is a really great topic!

enc February 14, 2007 at 10:01 am

big, fat, gumball-sized champagne Tahitian pearls. Choker.

PaperDollyGirl February 14, 2007 at 12:43 pm

WOW! Great link, and what an absolutely stunning dress. I love it!

zelia February 14, 2007 at 7:04 pm

amazing…i love it very much. i wonder how hard it would be to make a variation of that dress. too hard would be my guess, but a girl can dream.

Bejeweled February 15, 2007 at 10:08 am

What a stunning, glamerous dress! So beautiful! I’d vote for peridot, citrine and pink tourmaline to go with it.

Nicola's Vintage Boutique February 18, 2007 at 12:46 am

Thank you for posting the link!I love finding new vintage sites, its always a treat