In One’s Salad Days

by Erin on March 21, 2007

Wish-Bone dress

Kate (of Hats by Katrinka) sent me this link to yet another company making dresses out of food (remember the Celestial Seasonings Dress?).

This one is from Wish-Bone, to promote their new sprayable salad dressings. I did almost bail out of watching the video when I realized it was hosted by Richard Simmons (my junior high school, in a move to encourage poor body image, eating disorders, and self-loathing among adolescent girls, had us do his "aerobics" LP in gym class. Many years later, in a fit of Stockholm Syndrome-induced thrifting, I bought a copy of that LP, which will really come in handy if I ever need to blast it from speakers to make teenagers or Noriega or whoever get offa my lawn).

Anyway, click on the picture to see the fashion show, where the models gamely wear cabbage leaves and spray salad dressing into the air. (If you like this sort of thing, this is the sort of thing you like.)

I'm really not sold on the cherry-tomato jewelry. I hope they're plastic, because otherwise … just too much sticky and itchy to contemplate. And a waste of good tomatoes.

Sarah from Oz March 21, 2007 at 11:58 am

This reminds me of a flyer my boss used to have in his office for a drag queen named “Hedda Lettuce”. It seems like something she would wear…(My boss, incidentally, was a professor researching disease in lettuce. Hence the relevence of the flyer :)

Theresa March 21, 2007 at 1:13 pm

It (and Sarah’s comment) reminded me of being dragged to a drag queen show where I got the inspiration to creat a Queen Bee costume for Halloween ( I took first place – thanks Drag Queens!) Anyway this is giving me Creature from the Black Lagoon or Attack of the Killer Tomatoes or perhaps the REvenge of Mr. MacGregors Garden costume ideas…”film at 11″

Anonymous March 21, 2007 at 4:14 pm

Oh. My. I hope those girls got combat pay. Especially the one wearing the watermelon cloche.andrea

Val March 21, 2007 at 8:47 pm

If this if from awhile ago, I think either Jay McCarroll or Austin Scarlett of Project Runway fame did a salad dress for this show.

Anonymous March 21, 2007 at 11:53 pm

Erin, you actually posted this dress last year, here. Not that it’s not worth repeating.

Brian March 21, 2007 at 11:53 pm

Hey now, I don’t know if we should be disrespecting Richard Simmons. Why, I once saw some games of the $25 Pyramid at Roscoe’s in Boys Town where “he” and “Charro” were the celebrity guests.John Edwards was actually paired with “Charro” for a game, but it did not go well.

Jamie March 22, 2007 at 1:23 am

This dress reminds me of the first episode of Project Runway season one when one of the guys made his dress of cornhusks!! I LOVE IT!!

enc March 22, 2007 at 6:39 am

Best.Post.Ever.

Erin March 22, 2007 at 6:48 am

Wow, you’re right (Anonymous, not iopine, although, THANK you, iopine). Heh. Obviously I now have nothing new to say about dresses and should shut down. I also like that I used basically the same subject line for both posts …

enc March 23, 2007 at 4:45 pm

I remember that post from before. I don’t care if you repeat. BEST.POST.EVER.!

Anonymous March 24, 2007 at 4:08 am

There is a new low for those poor women’s modeling careers!

bing March 24, 2007 at 12:25 pm

But wow, what gorgeous colors those veggies have … the cabbage dress in particular: the purples of the bodice, the chalky whites, the variety of greens!

Anonymous March 24, 2007 at 8:36 pm

Love it Erin and missed the first time, so THANKS! the carrot dress looks so heavy! they do need combat pay!

Ursula February 13, 2008 at 11:23 pm

FYI, this was included in the portfolio of Chris, one of the designers on the most recent season of Project Runway. He’s fabulous.