Gotta Start Somewhere (and with zippers)

by Erin on May 21, 2007

ebay item 8305987417

Weekend before last I was slounging on the couch, reading the Sunday NYT (as is my wont) and I remarked to my long-suffering husband that someday, somehow, I was going to go to the Metropolitan Museum of Art's Costume Institute Gala. (Not so much because I want to hang out with Those People, but because I want an excuse to make a really fantastic dress, and a place to wear it.)

"Why wait?" said Long-Suffering Husband. "Why don't you start with a fashion show here, like Columbia College's?"

So I did. (I didn't make a new dress, as I figured the Darth Duro would suffice.)

I had a fabulous time — the clothes were really excellent, and at the reception I stalked some of the designers whose stuff I had particularly admired, forced my blog card upon them, and asked them to send me pics of their work to show you.

My stalking paid off; one of the designers, Elena Deida, sent me this dress of hers. This dress was one I especially admired, although this picture is a bit arty, which obscures the best details. The print panel on the front is comic-book art (excellent!) and the side seams are heavy red zippers (also excellent). It is a nicely tailored sheath, as well; I'm afraid to say that I tend to be more impressed by good tailoring work in student fashion than by avant-gardeness of ideas. (The best, of course, is when forward-thinking ideas meet great structure.)

So, perhaps it wasn't the Costume Institute Gala, but then again, it's not like Poiret would have sent me .jpgs after (being dead, and unable to use a computer and all). I'll definitely be heading back next year — you should too, or find the student fashion show in your neck of the woods!

Celeste May 21, 2007 at 12:14 pm

Laurie May 21, 2007 at 1:06 pm

Moonwishes May 21, 2007 at 1:10 pm

Connie May 21, 2007 at 2:19 pm

Theresa May 21, 2007 at 5:04 pm

Connie – it does have an 80s pop meets 80s punk vibe.

Dinosaur Mom May 21, 2007 at 8:36 pm

T-Rex May 23, 2007 at 12:29 pm

fashion guide May 28, 2007 at 12:00 pm

8 Comments Close this window Collapse comments Celeste said… I know you already said this, but I’m going to say it again, and in a bit more depth. I don’t really have enough of an idea of what this dress actually looks like because of how it has been modelled and photographed. (Although I too often end up with my foot in a sink when I’m just sitting around.) If someone really wants to show off a great dress (or any other piece of clothing) why not really show us what it looks like? Can’t East Village type models be utterly hip while standing?? Okay, I feel better now… 12:14 PM Laurie said… Sounds fun – I wish you would have blogged about this event ahead of time. I’m in Chicago – I would have gone! 1:06 PM Gail said… So glad you explained the dress as it was hard to figure out, what with being distracted by the toilet, sink and what appears to be a medieval jail cell. 1:10 PM Connie said… Love the dress, don’t know that I would ever wear it.Do the shoes and/or model’s styling suggest 80′s fashion to anyone else but me? 2:19 PM Theresa said… Connie – it does have an 80s pop meets 80s punk vibe. 5:04 PM Dinosaur Mom said… Actually this looks a lot like an overdress to be worn with a burkini. Or maybe I am just spending too much time coveting my neighbor’s burkini. 8:36 PM T-Rex said… I want it. I have a shirt made of comic book fabric. Makes me want to drag it out again and wear it.I’m digging the shoes, too. 80′s in a good way. 12:29 PM fashion guide said… I love that dress, yes the images are artsy and everything, I think it adds to the dress. I saw this at the columbia fashion show as well, Elena Deida has some fantastic work, I’ve emailed her to find out if she has anything else to show.

Anonymous May 30, 2007 at 1:06 am

I love the dress and want to see more of her stuff!

Anonymous June 4, 2007 at 10:25 pm

I love the creative use of zippers! The cartoon motif catches the eye. Wish a better picture was available showing the interesting details.