I Don’t Know What You People Are Thinking

by Erin on September 18, 2007

Neiman Marcus dress

Seriously. Holly at LuciteBox Vintage has had this up as a Buy-It-Now on eBay for like, a week now and it's STILL THERE. I was looking at my list of to-be-blogged topics and thought "There's no way that dress is still up," but when I went to check, it was. Sheesh! What is up? Is everyone still getting back from Labor Day vacation? Are you still trying to get that last week of wear out of your summer sandals? Does everyone have the horrific head cold I came down with?

I mean, check out the back:

Neiman Marcus dress

That alone should have made you hit that handy "Buy It Now" button.

Anyway, it's navy, B36/W26, and just plain gorgeous, and pretty affordable at $74.

Everyone should have a very structured dark dress for the days where you Mean Business. This is a brook-no-nonsense, take-no-prisoners dress. I have one that is black crepe and insanely severe; but it can go from lady-scientist to hardcore-vamp with a change of shoes and a slash of red lipstick. This is one of those dresses, and believe me, once you have a dress like this you feel a renewed sense of confidence. It's like having a $100 bill in your pocket, an unmetered parking space, a new pair of kickass shoes, and a fantastic idea, all at once. Even when you're not wearing it. Just having it in your closet, ready to pull out in case of emergency, is enough.

So why is this one still available? I don't know. I am going to have to fall back on my traditional there's-no-good-explanation explanation: sunspots.

Rebecca Spang September 18, 2007 at 9:39 am

The dress IS gorgeous, and there MAY be sunspot activity, but there could be other explanations. Such as: it’s navy, which can be tricky to match. It should fit me in the waist but I might have to take in the bust–and that would be difficult, given how structured it is. And, finally, buying vintage on-line strikes me as an inherently risky venture. For all the glories of a well-wielded tape measure, it’s still important to TRY IT ON.

Anonymous September 18, 2007 at 9:42 am

Aaaaack! The neck is choking me! Give me a pair of scissors now! Phew. Relief. I feel better now. Oops. I ruined a vintage dress. Now I have a real story to tell when I sell in on eBay, just like that mom who sold an ordinary baseball for a gazillion dollars.

Ladygrande (Texas Marie) September 18, 2007 at 10:04 am

Well, darn! I was that size in 1964. Not now! If I was, that dress would be mine. Can’t talk my girls into it either – they like casual. Don’t forget – it needs a little hat!Marie

WendyB September 18, 2007 at 10:04 am

Lovely!

kim p. September 18, 2007 at 10:06 am

For me, too many dark stars aligned: the navy star, the 26-inch-waist star, and the choking-collar star. And, for some reason, it makes me think this is exactly what a severe schoolmarm at David Copperfield’s school would have worn! Sorry!

ita September 18, 2007 at 10:14 am

*Maybe* we’re thinking that we have a closet full of unworn dresses this blog has *forced* us to buy, and are trying to behave.

Nora September 18, 2007 at 10:26 am

I guess you can take the girl out of the library, but not the library out of the girl, because I love it. I love the structured top and all the leg room underneath (so you can really kick ass in it).Sadly it’s a mite (and by mite, I mean 3-4″) too small for me. Too bad, because I’ve got several pairs of shoes I could wear with such a dress now (red slides, wine patent pumps, and brown curved-heel boots…) And how great would it look with these tights I’m coveting:http://www.sock-dreams.com/_shop/pages/socks_detail_ProductID_352.php

Sarah September 18, 2007 at 10:31 am

When I first saw it–I thought,”School marm”, too!! Eesh…much too severe, too tiny waisted, choking neckline. But I’m sure there is a one-of-a-kind gal who can fill this dress and knock off a great look…somewhere out there.

Anonymous September 18, 2007 at 10:42 am

I would have a hard time getting into it. I would need emergency lipsuction to remove, well, half of my bust, 6 inches from my waist, the hips would work (I am smaller on bottom than on top), and I have lots of shoes I could wear, and I never adverse to an excuse to buy another pair…*grins*Linda

Tracy September 18, 2007 at 10:54 am

I adore this dress, EXCEPT the collar. I’ve been toying with buying it myself, but then there’s that collar again. If only it was a simple round neck. I have the “most” perfect Aurora Borealis choker with matching cuff to good with it a simple neckline….sigh If I could see/touch this dress and know that I could remove the collar then yeah, I’d buy it in a heartbeat.

kathyg September 18, 2007 at 10:58 am

Lovely dress, but oh…to have a 26″ waist..in my dreams!

Miss Kitty September 18, 2007 at 11:03 am

It’s so gorgeous…and I’m still too big. %^$@#$%@^!!!!!

Jora September 18, 2007 at 11:18 am

My heart just skipped a beat for this dress. Alas, it’s just not working for me size-wise. It is quite inspiring though.

Anonymous September 18, 2007 at 11:22 am

Tiny waist + relatively large bust + choker collar = very hard for most of us to fit into.

tea September 18, 2007 at 11:26 am

I would like to find the pattern for this dress because I would un-choke the neck, make the waist bigger and the bust smaller, and have the perfect winter dress to make again and again.

Lady Be Good September 18, 2007 at 12:21 pm

For my part, although I love the structure and color of the dress, I take issue with superfluous fabric flaps. I can’t figure out why this seems ‘superfluous’ to me, and not “devinely detailed”, but it does. Oh yea… and its too small;)

woodsywoman September 18, 2007 at 12:47 pm

I’m no novice when it comes to hitting the BIN button or taking a leap of tape-measured faith in terms of vintage fabulosity. And fabulous this is. Problem is, I already have a few of these Fierce Fraulein dresses and far too few occasions that call for them. You’re right about the instant confidence they impart. I pull mine out whenever I need to strike fear in the heart of an underling or convince a client that I really am much more experienced than I look. I see the dress is gone now; may the buyer enjoy her new-found powers of intimidation!

La Pluma September 18, 2007 at 2:55 pm

This is EXACTLY the kind of dress I would buy – exactly – except for the fact that I don’t fit into it. In fact, I am on the plus-side of plus-size, so the one on ebay is a no-go. Then again, give me a pattern to adjust and I’d make mine in a heart-beat. I’ve gotten GOOD at adjusting looks for petite women into curvy-friendly numbers! :-)I love your blog. Thanks!

lsaspacey September 18, 2007 at 3:16 pm

Apparently all it needed was you dear, because it is now GONE. Congrats! You are the word of wisdom and the remedy to sunspots.

Anonymous September 18, 2007 at 3:18 pm

yep I’m joining the if only my waist was a 26 I would now own that dress crew, perhaps there is a pattern for the larger around of us who still would like to own an “I Mean Business” dress.

Kristen September 18, 2007 at 4:05 pm

perfect dress for the perfect measurements. if only i could have “pregnant boobs” without the belly that goes with it, i might have the right measurements. (that sounds like i’m pregnant. i’m not, i’m just SAYING) :)

angldst September 18, 2007 at 4:49 pm

Darn, that dress would fit me, I’d look good innit, and I’d find shoes on the rack ‘o d00m on the back of my bedroom door for it. Sadly, I clicky, and someone else has gotten there before me & snapped it up. *cry*. Oh, well. There will be other dresses, oh yes. -d

Minya, Warrior Seamstress September 18, 2007 at 6:20 pm

I’m not sure I understand “very structured” as it applies to dresses. Can someone explain?

Adrienne September 18, 2007 at 7:25 pm

Like it – modest, pretty and only a bit short for my taste; have no money and too much fat. I have to learn to cut out the beenies and weenies so I can make one for myself…

Scarlett September 18, 2007 at 7:53 pm

Minya, I interpret “structured” as just that – made with fabrics that stand up, crisp straight lines, and lots of very…buttoned-up and defined details. A pencil skirt = very structured, a peasant skirt = totally not. If I can picture it holding up without a person in it, that’s VERY structured.

Dusty Penguin September 18, 2007 at 8:06 pm

I could never get into it either, but I really like it. I, too, have reservations about the collar. It seems to sit too high and the collar itself looks too small for the dress. I’d like the round neck idea with a vintage crocheted lace detachable collar.

Moonwishes September 18, 2007 at 8:14 pm

I didn’t like it on sight, but now with the other comments I realize why. Way too tight neck! I don’t understand the front flap thingy either, I mean what is it? That plus I’m also a Plus size. Glad someone found it and gave it a home.

ambika September 18, 2007 at 8:54 pm

I love it. It’s the 26 inch waist that would have stopped me from buying it.The front panel is so nautical, which is so me.

Anonymous September 18, 2007 at 9:21 pm

The mere sight of that neckline is making me claustrophobic. Let me out! Let me out!Rita

Anonymous September 18, 2007 at 9:53 pm

i’m thinking damn i wish that was a few sizes bigger!

Help I need a user name! September 18, 2007 at 11:35 pm

My first thought, upon seeing the first picture, was “Now izz the time on Shhprockkits ven vee dahhhnce!”The back is, indeed, stunning; alas, I, too, would have to cut the neck out. I can’t stand things touching my neck. Even necklaces. (((shudder)))

Defrost Indoors September 19, 2007 at 12:25 am

I agree, it’s great except for the collar. By gum, though, you’d feel ten feet tall and bulletproof in that one!For something a bit more festive (and easy to breathe in), check out this piece:http://tinyurl.com/2v3wga

Anonymous September 19, 2007 at 6:05 am

Wh is the collar tight? We wear turtlenecks, and we let FAR TOO MUCH OUT these days concerning our breasts anyway – espcially the over 35 crowd and up who do not realize their’buddies’ just do nt look good anymore, anyway! Beautify America; COVER!

Jillian Rueter September 19, 2007 at 9:52 am

Wow, this is such a beautiful dress. I love all of the auctions. Thanks for the recommendation.

propriatress September 19, 2007 at 10:42 am

always a pleasure to see the adorable Holly Lucitebox featured! and you are so right about the Ida-Lupino-aspect of the authoritative energy that dress inspires….

andapanda-rlf September 19, 2007 at 2:42 pm

Holly Lucitebox has a real flair for style.

Anonymous September 19, 2007 at 4:17 pm

it’s NAVYand $74

Kathleen September 20, 2007 at 6:43 pm

When I grow up, I want to be just like you.

Anonymous September 20, 2007 at 10:27 pm

Can I say it’s ugly? Becuase I think it is.

Diana @ So Fash'on September 21, 2007 at 1:59 am

love the waist part! amazing!

Robinson September 21, 2007 at 9:05 pm

Eh? 35 and up? Sorry, but I know many a woman, 35 and up, who can still pull off a tasteful decollete. Give me a break… 35 and up. Sheesh.

Nancy Bea Miller September 22, 2007 at 7:57 am

Great dress, yes, but that neck has me choking just looking at it. Would definitely need to try it on before dropping $75. You made me aware that I really need a severe scary dress dress in my closet, though,for confidence building through wardrobe building! ;-)