That Other Thing: Announcing the 2008 Dress A Daybook

by Erin on December 12, 2007

2008 Daybook

Remember a while back I was going to announce something (I thought was) cool? Well, after much not-working-on-it delay, I've finally finished it: a 2008 Dress A Day daybook.

2008
By Erin McKean

Some caveats: I haven't gotten my copy yet, so I don't really know how it looks, but other Blurb books I've seen have been nice.

Today's the last day to order for Christmas, with hugely expensive next-day shipping. I highly recommend you don't do that, honestly.

There aren't a lot of pictures in the book. At all. It's just quotations I liked.

If you don't want to order from Blurb, but you still want one, here's a PDF file … it's under a CC license so go ahead and take it to Kinko's or wherever; you might have to do some messing around with the imposition to get it to print all nice, but have at it! If you make a fancy cover for it (the pdf is just the innards) please send me a picture, okay?

belphebe December 12, 2007 at 2:12 pm

I do love the About the Book blurb at the end.But I have to get a dictionary (New Oxford American, perhaps?) to figure out some of the words at the beginning. “vade mecum”?Runs off to find a dictionary.

Stephanie December 12, 2007 at 2:31 pm

OMGosh! So all those Christmas presents I’ve been mulling over and avoiding shopping for … I could print out the PDF, make nice covers, and send Dress a Daybooks as gifts?

Erin December 12, 2007 at 2:34 pm

Stephanie — absolutely! (You’d have to figure out a way to bind them, but go at it!)

Toby Wollin December 12, 2007 at 4:16 pm

Darn – I was so sure that vade mecum was latin for something, but no luck at all….

Erin December 12, 2007 at 4:28 pm

all right:vade mecum |vd mkm; vd m-|nouna handbook or guide that is kept constantly at hand for consultation.ORIGIN early 17th cent.: modern Latin, literally go with me, from Latin vadere go, from an Indo-European root shared by WADE.You know my day is not complete unless I’ve sent someone to a dictionary, right?

India December 12, 2007 at 4:43 pm

Yay! The date book lives!But, um, I don’t suppose you want to know about the typo in the colophon . . . ?

bani December 13, 2007 at 1:45 am

Ooooooo.Ooooooo.:D:D:D

Lou December 13, 2007 at 5:29 am

oooh!i think i might make my own and have it sit on my desk so i can keep all those important dates down!:)

Mary December 13, 2007 at 5:50 am

Thanks, Erin. The quotes are priceless, and the format, so elegant.

Lisa Simeone December 13, 2007 at 7:38 am

Erin, what a wonderful idea! I will definitely be ordering one (I certainly can’t figure out the whole printing/binding thing). And, of course, being a student of Latin, I was thrilled to see you use “vade mecum.”Gratia tibi!

cathy December 13, 2007 at 9:31 am

All right, I looked up “colophon”. Is this one at the beginning or the end of the book? (Not downloading it right now.)

Sue M. December 14, 2007 at 6:48 am

Erin, I don’t get it…I thought that you were going to write a book book. I do hope that this entry book, nice as it is, doesn’t stop you from publishing a collection of dresses and their stories.Your public awaits…

cindy b December 18, 2007 at 5:05 pm

Erin, places like Staples can do a spiral binding on things such as day planners for not much $$