Giant Friday Link-o-Rama

by Erin on February 15, 2008

First Love comic

I have been feeling mildly guilty because you guys have been sending me so many great links — much more than I could ever write about individually, even if I posted with BoingBoing-like frequency. BUT: they are so good that I don't want to deprive you of them, so I'm thinking about doing Linktastic Fridays. What do you all think?

First off, Jen sent me the awesome comic image up above. Who needs a two-timing guy when you have an outfit that great, I ask you?

Also: everyone's heard that Isaac Mizrahi is leaving Target to go to Liz Claiborne, right? I'm so excited about this; I really want to see what he can do at a slightly higher price point and a bigger collection. And I'm hoping maybe he'll choose some fit models that aren't so dern long-waisted …

Check out this ADORABLE corduroy windowpane-check jumper/dress (thanks to Lisa for the link). This one might show up as a Secret Lives someday, I think.

NYTimes reports on (recycled) juice box dress! Yes, I said juice box dress! (thanks to Barbara for the link)

Lisa at Miss Helene's found this great Home-Ec quiz in a pattern. Some of the questions stumped me, for sure. Try your luck … or just get a hit of sweet nostalgia off the mimeograph format.

Laura Skidmore of the Vintage Fashion Library was featured on CNN! And she gave a shout-out to Dress A Day! (And her hair in the picture is perfect …)

Robin sent a link to this truly terrifying 1970s jumper dress with the worst case of crotch-pocket I've ever seen. It takes quite a bit to make me dislike a pocket; this dress succeeded in doing so where so many others have failed.

And two sales for you: a bunch of sellers at Specialist Auctions are having a Vintage Blowout Sale — everything $19.99 or less! It started yesterday but I'm sure there's a ton of great stuff left (including lots of large-size patterns). More details are here

If you have been looking for the original version of the Butterick Walk-Away Dress (6015) Jen has a copy right now (B30) available AND has a different shirtdress-like version with a narrow skirt! (And if you use the coupon code love15 you will save 15% off any sized order through the end of the month!)

Whew. Did I forget anything? If I did, that's why Blogger made comments …

the_lazymilliner February 15, 2008 at 8:59 am

Aw right, Laura! It’s so nice to see a fellow SewRetro Yahoogroups user get some well-deserved attention….Mary Beth

Christy February 15, 2008 at 8:59 am

Oh gravy. How am I going to make time for all these fab links?

alilizbeth February 15, 2008 at 9:01 am

I **love** the alternate walk-away dress. Having made one of the originals (from the reprinted pattern), I have to say that the one thing I dislike about it is the neckline — and this new version fixes that with an ultra-cute collar. I love to sew, have never sewn vintage before, but it might be time to start …

Theresa February 15, 2008 at 9:36 am

I love link linky Friday!

tea February 15, 2008 at 9:38 am
enc February 15, 2008 at 10:40 am

Linktastic Fridays sound great to me!

Amy G. February 15, 2008 at 11:07 am

*gasping* I had that crotch-pocket dress in 1975! I was but 4 years old and my mother made it for me as a back-to-preschool jumper. Navy fabric with yellow-red-green pockets. Crotch pocket or no, it was one of my favorites. Thanks for the link!

Lydia February 15, 2008 at 11:44 am

Wow, Laura, congratulations for the great coverage! I don’t often have hair envy, but wow. Yeah. Gorgeous hair.Mary Beth, you mentioned Sewretro: Sewretro folks, next year is our tenth year as a Yahoo! Group. It was on a majordomo listserv for nearly two years before that. Can you believe it??? Almost twelve years. Crazy!

Anonymous February 15, 2008 at 12:37 pm

So, can we get vthe *answers* to the Home-Ec quiz next Friday?

R.M. Koske February 15, 2008 at 12:54 pm

Amy G., I had the crotch-pocket dress as a little kid, too! Mine was navy with red yellow and white pockets I think. I was possibly two. I don’t remember the dress except from photos, but my mother says I grabbed it off the rack and wouldn’t let go.I wonder if the style was a knockoff of a particular design?

oracle February 15, 2008 at 1:14 pm

Thumbs up for linktastic Fridays from me!

Sandy February 15, 2008 at 1:30 pm

I love the idea of Linktastic Friday!!

colleen February 15, 2008 at 2:30 pm

Oooh, there’s a pattern from Born Too Late wending its way to me as I write. Thanks for the linkage.

Vicki February 15, 2008 at 2:53 pm

Today’s post inspired me to take the plunge, buy the wrap dress pattern, and start planning to take up sewing. I hope a real neophyte such as myself can handle it. At least I can use my mom’s machine. This is one of my most favorite blogsites.

Melissa Walker February 15, 2008 at 3:08 pm

great idea to let us all in on the links! yay!

jujubee February 15, 2008 at 6:00 pm

Hi, I’ve been reading your site for a while now but am now just getting around to commenting. I love your blog and all the great links!After seeing the bit about the walk-away dress and seeing photos of completed dresses, I’m wondering how it would look if done backwards (ie. it buttons up in the back instead of the front). This would require swapping the skirt/top parts so the darts stay in the front, etc. Has anyone tried this, or am I just weird? :)

Lisa @ the Vintage Fashion Library February 15, 2008 at 8:00 pm

I have a copy of the walkaway dress AND an original ad, too. It’s fun to see it put together, being worn by a model.

Laura in IA February 16, 2008 at 2:24 am

You forget that dresses in the 1970s were about crotch length! That makes the pockets just about right.

Meg February 16, 2008 at 8:37 am

Many thanks for scheduling a link day!

Christina February 16, 2008 at 12:51 pm

That’s so funny, your comment about Mizrahi. My problem with his dresses is that they are too short waisted for me and thus make me look stumpy. I was hoping the move would encourage a longer bodice.

Mad Fashionista February 16, 2008 at 5:42 pm

DAHLING – thank you EVER so for the mention of the Specialist Auctions VBOE. Not only have I done quite a bit of shopping myself, I have some marvelous things at my little shop there, Bodaciously Yours Vintage, while I take a short hiatus from (ugh) Ebay. Take a look, vintage lovers, we have dozens of listings!

Mad Fashionista February 16, 2008 at 5:42 pm

Mad Fashionista February 16, 2008 at 5:43 pm

Excuse me for repeating myself!

lorrwill February 16, 2008 at 7:50 pm

Why is angry door girl angry that upside down kissing guy is kissing someone else? Not only does she have better taste in clothes, she probably likes to kiss like normal people, too. Good riddance, I say.:-)

Jen February 16, 2008 at 11:17 pm

fabric and pattern quiz–good lord, did I write that?I can still smell the copy solvent (ummm)

Sugardale February 18, 2008 at 3:22 pm

So a site for really great photos: shorpy.com. It is my home page on the internet, so before I do anything I always browse the newly posted photos.enjoy.

Jezebella February 26, 2008 at 1:07 pm

Okay, so you don’t like the crotch pocket, but can you love a UTERUS pocket? Because I’m kind of loving this one: http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=9073693