What’s Up, Buttercup?

by Erin on February 19, 2008

Butterick 3548

Now, usually I'm a fan of the florals. I like flowers (and puppies, and babies, and long walks on the beach …) but I like them in their place. Not as the place. This dress gives me Day of the Triffids flashbacks, which are not good things to have.

Of course, it's technically not a dress, but a beach coverup (which explains the barefooted model, if not her biceps bracelet; nothing short of enslavement by Jabba the Hut explains the biceps bracelet). Perhaps the petaled hat (and petaled cape collar) keeps out the sun (and gives you REALLY odd tan lines).

I like how the full-on daisy on the left is labeled "JUNIORS" while the yellow version, ostensibly more sedate, is labeled "MISSES". Yes, you need this guidance, because heaven forbid you dress up as a TOO-YOUNG Giant Flower. A scandalized hiss would run through the cabanas!

Thanks to Stacie for the link … the pattern is from Etsy seller joules (and has already sold, but she has OTHER patterns …)

MadeByAmanda February 19, 2008 at 7:54 am

All I can hear is my mother saying “Pull your hair back. No one can see your face with your hair in your eyes like that.”

Christy February 19, 2008 at 7:56 am

Reminds me of the white dress Wilma wore on the Flintstones.

Allison February 19, 2008 at 8:05 am

This would work as a costume for one of the fairies in A Midsummer Night’s Dream, but beyond that, I can’t imagine anyone actually wearing it.

Katie Alender February 19, 2008 at 8:11 am

I love how the Misses’ version has the more sedate, monochrome flower hat, signifying how much more mature the wearer is than the goofy Junior in her bi-color hat. I mean, really! Only babies wear flower petal hats with TWO colors of fabric.I do find the pattern cute in a way I can’t explain, though.

Lydia February 19, 2008 at 8:36 am

Hmph. Certain bellydancers would argue your stance on bicep bracelets. =DBut I’m with you on the triffids comparison. *shudder* For a moment, I thought (hoped?) that this was a Halloween costume.

Latter-Day Flapper February 19, 2008 at 9:13 am

That just might be the worst hat ever. It looks like she has a banana peel draped over her head. She can’t possibly see where she’s going; she’ll end up putting her eye out on a beach umbrella, or walking off the end of the pier.

Anonymous February 19, 2008 at 9:26 am

After all is said and done, it is cute. Having grown up in the 60’s, I can see this walking down the beach…thankfully on someone else! I’d take this dress anyday over ON’s jumpsuit hotpants even with the hat!

kim p. February 19, 2008 at 10:07 am

I’m thinking high school production of Little Shop of Horrors.”Feed Me Seymour!”

Kalin February 19, 2008 at 10:07 am

Maybe I’m in a weird state from running out of hot water during my shower this morning, but I actually really like the junior dress. I agree about the hats, but the dress I like.

Ladygrande (Texas Marie) February 19, 2008 at 10:38 am

Back in the “olden days” there was actually a classification known as “Junior Miss”. The dress is cute – my sister made one of these but would not wear the hat. She wore it to school – not as a “cover-up”.

Anonymous February 19, 2008 at 10:42 am

Holy cow! My mom had that pattern! I remember that she made the scalloped-hem version (for herself) out of white pique, and put a dark blue binding around the neck and armholes. She even added a patch pocket, also outlined in blue binding. I coveted that dress fiercely. It was really cute, and so was she. She was about 27 and we lived in Hawaii, so it wasn’t all that out of place. Of course, she didn’t make the hat (shudder).

Fanfreluchesco February 19, 2008 at 10:44 am

the petaled collar is excellent!!!I think I will try it:-)thank you for the idea

Anonymous February 19, 2008 at 10:46 am

I like the yellow dress but would never consider making the hat!! I sewed a lot in the 60s and remember some of these types of dresses. I never made the outlandish ones!

Mimi February 19, 2008 at 10:53 am

I actually like the dress shape, but the hat has got to go. Ay yi yi!

Janice February 19, 2008 at 10:56 am

I’m not a dressmaker and the only thing I’ve ever made is a blanket w/my mom when I was 9 and even straight seams overwhelmed me but even if I never become an accomplished seamstress, your posts are hilarious!

Cathy February 19, 2008 at 11:09 am

This reminds me of my sheaf-of-wheat costume for a school celebration of the Kansas Centennial (1960 – I was almost 6).

Theresa February 19, 2008 at 12:08 pm

I liek the more sedate misses dress..the hat – not so much.

Anonymous February 19, 2008 at 12:47 pm

that reminds me of the episode of “Pushing Daisies” where the girl at the car facotry wears a Dandelion hat and lime green dress. 😀

Sue February 19, 2008 at 1:19 pm

a cute little sunburn-preventive number for a small child, bring it on! this is the cutest! and probably great for walking along the beach looking for shells and sea glass, no sun or glare through those petals!

Thoughts on Life and Millinery. February 19, 2008 at 1:22 pm

Another perfect outfit for wear at reference desk.Including the hat.I dare say no librarian patron would bother a librarian wearing that get up; blog reading could be enjoyed for hours at a time.

DivaJean February 19, 2008 at 1:23 pm

The outfit would look more normal with gigantic sunglasses, like Jackie O. or Bono from U2. (Like a hybrid of bee and flower! lol!)

colleen February 19, 2008 at 1:33 pm

Funny that no one else thinks that Ms. Yellow looks like a banana, and the hat is evocative of banana peels.

ISS Man 71 February 19, 2008 at 2:46 pm

Tim Burton’s wardrobe manager bought this pattern for his next movie. Good thing Johnny Depp has nice legs.SF,Terry

Anonymous February 19, 2008 at 3:57 pm

I sense a production of “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” coming on…or a Tinkerbell or Peter Pan costume at least…

BellaKarma February 19, 2008 at 5:14 pm

I’m pretty sure I saw these two the other day…while I was on Vicodin.

Help I need a user name! February 19, 2008 at 9:27 pm

Oh. My. Word.HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!Sorry…had to get that out. Golly, I think I’ll pass on that pattern…

kagitsune February 20, 2008 at 3:39 am

*first time commenting, even though I’ve been reading for about a year*A dress for the beach party… on Halloween…? O_o;;Really, even I wouldn’t want to look like a banana suit reject… and I’ve been known to wear some crazy stuff. -_-;;

Anonymous February 20, 2008 at 6:44 pm

OH MY GOOOOODDNNNNESSSSWhat year is that thing from?I can’t imagine wearing that droopy hat – even in the 60’s!Laughing merrily.Sallyhttp://sallysews.blogspot.com

Elle February 21, 2008 at 11:25 am

One wearing of the yellow outfit and you’re known as “Bananahead” forever. It might be fun to poof breaths out constantly and play with the banana peels, but only if you’ve totally run out of other things to do.

AmandaMay February 23, 2008 at 9:08 pm

I saw this post image and giggled, and then just now I found the outfits in which she would no doubt dress her children…http://www.sovintagepatterns.com/catalog/item/1693568/5132280.htm

Joules December 2, 2008 at 10:04 am

Happy to provide the amusement. This fab Butterick pattern is one I would love to find again!