Linktastic Friday No. 5

by Erin on March 21, 2008

Ann's Shwe Shwe Duro

Wow, it's linktastic Friday again. Where does the week GO?

That Duro dress up there is Ann's — remember her Shwe Shwe blog?

It's snowing here in Chicago today, but Lisa sent me a link to a pink shirtwaist dress that I wish I were wearing today. Outside. On a picnic. Without snow.

This dress would be an excellent picnic dress, too. With those pockets, you wouldn't need a basket …

Nora sent me a link to this alphabet fabric, but I ended up buying this one. Although now I think maybe I should have chosen this one, instead. Ah, well.

Another tape measure bracelet from Lisa … sold out, but I bet if you emailed the Etsy seller she'd make you another one. Ask nicely, now …

Did everyone see this stunning (and stunningly expensive) Claire McCardell pattern on eBay? This one, while not as dramatic, certainly went for a lot less … and ooh! Check out this pattern, it's quite nice and looks very easy … thanks to Jeanette for the pointer to the second Claire pattern!

Completely Magnificent Dress from Sugardale.

Theresa sends a link to StyleShake, which I haven't had a chance to really play with yet. It's another one of those "choose your own adventure dress parts, and we'll sew it for you!" sites. Which generally I'm in favor of. As proof they'll make anything, though, I present to you this:

Styleshake dress

Whoa, that's it for this Friday, even though I have more links I really should post … maybe next week will have two doses of linktasticity. You never know.

Oh! One more thing: Jen at MOMSPatterns.com is having another 20%-off pattern sale, now through midnight Monday. (I don't know what time zone Jen is in …) Use coupon code 'slacker20', she says, because she's been slacking this month.

But, before I forget, this blog was given a very generous writeup in a new craft mag, Make It Mine! Thanks!

karooble March 21, 2008 at 10:56 am

That StyleShake site is ridiculously expensive. A plain cotton dress costs at least $200. They’re mad!

Jen March 21, 2008 at 11:36 am

I’m EST! In SUNNY, breezy, beautiful days Florida :DEnjoy your Easter, everyone!

Cracheru March 21, 2008 at 11:48 am

Hey Girl,too many h’s in your first “this one” link to the alphabet fabric. Can you fix it please? I’m dying to see what you bought.Thanks.

Erin March 21, 2008 at 11:52 am

Fixed! Thanks for letting me know …

geogrrl March 21, 2008 at 11:58 am

While these two patterns aren’t exactly like the Claire McCardell pattern, they’re similar, as well as cheaper and readily available from Butterick’s retro collection:Butterick 4919:http://www.butterick.com/item/B4919.htm?tab=evening_prom_bridal&page=2Butterick 6582:http://www.butterick.com/item/B6582.htm?tab=dresses&page=8

Maddy March 21, 2008 at 11:59 am

I love the pleats on that pink picnic dress, and the single button closure. Megamegamega cute.

Cookie March 21, 2008 at 1:07 pm

I’m somewhat thrown off by the illustrations on the vintage fashion patterns! I mean, in the first Claire McCardle link — the one with the halter style neckline — that “woman’s” waist is smaller than her NECK! I’m scared.

Theresa March 21, 2008 at 1:14 pm

I love the polka dot dress from sugardale.

Sugardale March 21, 2008 at 8:38 pm

I love Claire McCardell. She was big on functionality, which is a big plus with me. She’s cool.P.S. Thanks for linking to my dress, Erin.

lorrwill March 21, 2008 at 9:06 pm

Hey sugardale, the dress, the shoes, everything looks so perfect together. tres kewl.

Theresa March 21, 2008 at 10:46 pm

Geogrrl – I made Both of those Butterick patterns. 4919 as easier, i had a hard time understanding the directions for the neck on the other. i did the wiggle version. I really love wearing bot h dresses. I did 4919 in cotton – I think if I did it again I would use jersey knit because the waist has wide ties that wrap to the back. 4919 was the 4th dress I made.

geogrrl March 21, 2008 at 11:15 pm

Theresa, thanks for the reviews of the patterns. I have both (which is how I knew about them) and haven’t yet gotten around to making them up. I was wondering if 4919 would suit a rustle-y fabric because of the big sweeping skirt, but I think something softer like a jersey would look fabulous in that pattern.I love the look of 6582, but your warning will make me more cautious.When I do make up one or the other, I’ll be posting the results on the “Sew Retro” blog, and I’ll send Erin a note too, of course.It’s really Erin’s blog that got me interested in sewing again.

2008 March 21, 2008 at 11:25 pm

It is rumpled?

Meg March 22, 2008 at 9:19 am

Snap Crackle Pop! That’s the most expensive pattern I’ve ever seen. Ouch!Awwwwwwwwwwww, baby, thank you for that sale info on one of my favorite sites.

Anonymous March 22, 2008 at 3:17 pm

Don’t you all have a problem catching those pockets on doorknobs and other things that just reach out and grab any detail on a shirt, pants, or dress at about hip heighth? I love pockets but they catch on everything! Or am I just clumsy?Love all the dresses but stick to wearing my favorite Lee jeans for just about everything.

geogrrl March 22, 2008 at 3:56 pm

Nope, can’t say that pockets have ever been a problem in that respect.

Eirlys March 22, 2008 at 5:48 pm

Ooh Nora, I just LOVE that alphabet fabric! Made my day. Thanks on behalf of all old typewriters fans out there.

Theresa March 23, 2008 at 9:20 am

geogrrl – as long as the rustly fabric isn’t stiff and is one color and the “wrong” side looks nearly as nice as the right side — it should be fine. On the other , with the tricky neckline, just buy a little extra fabric just in case you have to gut 2 or 6 times…then again it could have been my own inexperience.:)

Canuck March 23, 2008 at 12:39 pm

Erin:In the spirit of Linktastic Friday (even though it’s Sunday, Happy Easter!), here’s a link to check out – they do alot of wearable styles, so rarely seen in couture:http://www.storytailors.pt/

Theresa March 24, 2008 at 7:49 am

Canuck – O my gosh! I wasted so much time on that site today! I loved it. Especially the one where you get to dress the model.

Canuck March 26, 2008 at 12:54 pm

Glad to be of service :)

Peggy March 27, 2008 at 12:38 am

Just wanted to tell you how coming over to dressaday always makes me smile! Thanks for puttin’ up such fabrictastic, patternistic energy on the internets.