Exercising: Some Options

by Erin on April 17, 2008

workout skirt

Although I often declare that I am not athletic, the evidence probably wouldn't acquit me of that charge. Since junior high I have committed the following sports and/or exercise activities: cross-country running (very slowly), throwing the discus and shotput (ineptly), playing soccer, both high-school indoor (hello, knee damage!) and college outdoor (position: benchwarmer), step aerobics (lots of fun but requires suspension of natural sense of the ridiculous), yoga (Iyengar, most fun ever, but really only with one specific teacher [YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE]), treadmill walking [only supportable by viewing of Dr. Who and Torchwood]. Oh, and weightlifting, either intermittently or concurrently with any or all of the above.

And, of course, roller-skating, although anything done in a venue where you can also buy a corn dog is automatically suspect as exercise.

My biggest problem with exercise, of course, has always been the general crappitude of exercise WEAR. Tight pants? Tighter tops? After a certain age, a "Don't Mess With Texas" t-shirt and raggedy soccer shorts just don't cut it.

And then came these folks. They sent me an email and I grudgingly took a look at their site, but the grudging turned to grudging admiration. This skirt is GREEN! It has workout shorts under it! It has TWO pockets. It has something called "tummy-tuck" technology. And the best part? The style name is "Rollergirl."

I don't like the logo (I don't like ANY logos) but hey, nothing's PERFECT.

I'm seriously tempted to get one of these; the weather's getting better, I could use more exercise, my outdoor roller skates have just been gathering dust … and this would solve my "what can I wear skating in the Skokie Sculpture Park and not feel like a very conspicuous idiot in the grocery store on the way home?" problem.

And if I got the black one maybe I'd even feel up to skating in Central Park. Certainly more up to it than skating in street clothes or in the ubiquitous (and too-tight) black lycra capri pants. You never know …

The skirt's $56, click on the image to visit their site. Their size chart goes up to XXL (22), but it looks like this skirt is only up to XL (about an 18).

the_lazymilliner April 17, 2008 at 9:45 am

I don’t like the logo either. I’d put an applique on it.

Anonymous April 17, 2008 at 9:56 am

This very issue is why I’ve been buying golf “skorts” for years even though I don’t play golf.

jess April 17, 2008 at 10:21 am

I have nothing but good things to say about skirtsports! I love that skirts don’t ride up while I am exercising or give me that wedgie thing. They are also just more comfortable to wear (for me). :)

Shauna April 17, 2008 at 10:21 am

Oh, that’s perfect! I’ve been looking for something similar to run and play tennis in.

Lydia April 17, 2008 at 10:40 am

I had an image of doing Sarvangasana (or better–Plow Pose!) in this skirt and had a moment of giggles.Lydia

Marjie April 17, 2008 at 11:16 am

Ditto to the “skirts don’t ride up” comment. I made a princess seamed dress out of sweatshirt fabric for a visit to the pumpkin patch a few years back, and it’s the best outdoor wear (with tights and boots) that you can get. And at least you aren’t asking if your @$$ makes those black lycra capri pants look fat.

Lisa @ the Vintage Fashion Library April 17, 2008 at 11:35 am

I’m not sure, as an XL, that I would wear anything article of clothing with the word “roll” in it.

smonster April 17, 2008 at 11:40 am

Oh my goodness, I want one of those for going out dancing! License and cash in the pockets, no worries about flashing, comfortable…I’m with y’all on the applique over the logo thing.

La BellaDonna April 17, 2008 at 11:52 am

Ditto on the applique over the logo.I LOVE the idea that someone’s making workout skirts available! I don’t see anything that’s weightlifting or martial-arts specific, but then, it doesn’t have to be. I’ll have to go back and check their size range; here’s hoping that they don’t think only size 10-and-under exercise!Marjie, I did the same thing with some nice black polarfleece- a really pretty princess dress, which was for the unheated Victorian I was living in at the time. Not surprisingly, it was just fine for the outdoors, too! And of course, polarfleece comes in all sorts of colours and patterns these days; no reason not to have a pretty one!

bettyninja April 17, 2008 at 12:15 pm

Oh jeez that skirts rocks. The color is insanely great.

DazzLynn! April 17, 2008 at 12:16 pm

Sounds like you need to check you out some ROLLER DERBY!based on your “feel up to skating in Central Park.” comment, I think this might be for you:http://www.gothamgirlsrollerderby.com/DazzLynn!#8 San Francisco ShEvil DeadB.A.D. Girlshttp://www.bayareaderbygirls.com/

mappchik April 17, 2008 at 12:23 pm

I have one of the running skirts. Love it! They also make a couple of sports dresses. Have been seriously thinking about getting either the Marathon or Footloose dress. Would be fantastic this summer over my cycling shorts.

wundermary April 17, 2008 at 12:34 pm

Do you have a pair of these Quadline skates? They look like they have a wide stance, I imagine myself knocking the wheels together. I see they are offering a rear brake mount, that seems odd for a quad skate. If you have a pair, what do you think?

The Rotund April 17, 2008 at 12:58 pm

Oh, I am so sad they don’t make these in larger sizes!I really despise the skort in everyday wear but it makes perfect sense for this.

Sarah April 17, 2008 at 1:07 pm

Okay, that’s really cool! One of the things I hate is ugly, un-cute exercise clothes.

tea April 17, 2008 at 1:57 pm

There are workout skirts at the bicycle shop by my house, so that’s another good place to look if anyone is interested. I mean, not the bike shop by *my* house, per se, but maybe one near yours! :)

Theresa April 17, 2008 at 2:06 pm

I refuse to take part in any activity, except swimming, in which you can not wear heels. I was told, “You are the only woman I know who wears a dress and heels to judge a dog show oustide on a soccer feild.” *what else would I wear?* This year it was a dog print shirtwaist. Last year it was a dog print Butterick walk-a-away. If I was going to UGH! exercise, I might consider one of those skirts but not at $56!

Susan Marie April 17, 2008 at 2:17 pm

I really like the skirt- except for the price. But, I’m glad to know something like that exists so I can look for a cheaper version! I also am excited to read that you share my enjoyment of Doctor Who and Torchwood (though- I haven’t branched out into treadmill walking while viewing).

Danika April 17, 2008 at 3:05 pm

I just bought this exact skirt to wear to run my first marathon! some fyi-s: the rise is LOW. it is probably four fingers below my belly button. I bought the medium, and I wear size 8, and it fits perfectly.Also, it is quite short! the “gym girl” is longer–which means that the pockets on this one are shorter, and thus smaller. Also, if it has a port for a headphones cord, I can’t find it.Oh, and there’s also a “skirtsports” logo on the back yoke.All the line are great, though–MUCH better for running than spandex shorts alone. I find it much easier to go running when I can look cute!”Atalanta” also has a line of running skirts, and I have running skirts by both New Balance and Nike that I love. But skirtsports is my favorite for the pocket design and the colors.

Alaina April 17, 2008 at 3:30 pm

Central Park? You live in NYC? And all this time, I never knew. How many of you others live in NYC? We should have a Dress A Day and Coffee Sewing Social.

rosecampion April 17, 2008 at 5:34 pm

The Rotund- I too am quite sad that it doesn’t come in the larger sizes? Why do companies assume that people over size 18 don’t exercise? Landsend makes a sports skirt/skort that goes up to 3X, but it’s only available in black and it only has one pocket.

Erin April 17, 2008 at 5:36 pm

Alaina — I live in Chicago — I just go to NYC a *lot*. And yes, I have Quadlines! They do have a wider truck that takes a bit of getting used to, but it’s not difficult. They’re fun!

raven April 17, 2008 at 6:10 pm

I have enjoyed your blog for a while now…and think you are delightful. However, the delight has increased exponentially now that I know you like Dr. Who and Torchwood. You are officially a Rockstar in my book.

CountryMouse April 17, 2008 at 6:10 pm

I love this skirt. I hate excercise-wear too and especially find running in shorts to be so demoralizing, I never run well when I don’t like my outfit. I generally wear capris but might give the running dress a try, thanks!

Cordelia April 17, 2008 at 8:29 pm

Roller skating is excellent exercise and lots of fun. I did roller derby for a while and love that a lot, though skating outdoors just for fun is still my favorite.I wear skirts and dresses most of the time, and that includes when I’m roller skating or riding my bike (as transportation). I’m about a women’s size eight, and I make my own everything or buy it at the thrift store. During my derby days, where short athletic skirts are par for the course, I discovered that the XL and XXL in the little girls section often had skirts with built in under-shorts that fit me perfectly.Of course, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with roller skating in a knee length a-line with a full crinoline underneath. Roller skating is already so picturesque, you may as well go all the way.

lorrwill April 18, 2008 at 12:32 am

Doctor WhoRoller Skating as in quadsJust say NO! to logos?I think we must be related somehow.And this skirt rules.

Eirlys April 18, 2008 at 8:17 am

Great timing! I opened your post after my first run of spring (can’t steal myself to run if I need gloves). I confess to being on the frighteningly slender side (my running partner nicknames me “the whippet”), so I’ve pretty well made my peace with ubiquitous, dull, black lycra. However, I’m delighted that you have found us all a better way. That bright green is really something! Highly amused by the Skirt Sports Skirt Chaser race series – where the men all start some way behind the women. Surely the perfect virtue created out of necessity!With all of you on the logo issue, BTW.

MadeByAmanda April 18, 2008 at 11:17 am

If any of you would be interested in sewing your own spandex skirt-short combo, there is a two piece swimsuit pattern here:ohttp://www.biblicalwomanhoodnline.com/fmpswimwearpatterns.htmThe bottoms seem to be just like the exercise skirt. It would definitely be cheaper than $58 if you found a good price on material.I just made the swimsuit up a week or so ago, and it looks really cute. Kind of swishy like a cheerleader’s skirt. Sewing with swimsuit material isn’t as hard as you might think. The instructions are very clear.

MadeByAmanda April 18, 2008 at 11:19 am
Angel - Having a Nemesis April 24, 2008 at 3:49 pm

I’ve since become a major fan of their clothing….and attempting to talk hubby into a very large order ;)I’m not a spandex kind of girl. But I am certainly a skirt kind of girl. And I *love* the design with iPods in mind. I’ve already created several playlists in my head for various activities that I will be doing wearing my own mojito skirt :)