A Linktastic Friday to End All Linktastic Fridays

by Erin on May 16, 2008

No, not really — this is NOT the last Linktastic Friday. But I haven't done one in so long, that I thought ridiculous hyperbole would be justified.

A lot of this post will be on the LIFO (last in, first out). Like this wonderful post by a mom about her daughter's prom dress saga. (Thanks to Jo for the link, and to Patti (the mom in question) for the phrase "I'd eat raw tarantulas in hot sauce [for my kid]".)

Or like this dress:

Butterick 7787

Sent by Una, to add to the "fake bolero club". I kind of want it, even if it is a bit on the obvious side. (Not Dolly Parton-obvious, but still.) [And do you know what is awesome? This blog is the first hit for the Google search "fake bolero".]

Oh, and Jen at MOMSpatterns has offered us another coupon code, so that we can all take advantage of being members of the sewing blog cabal. 20% off from now until May 23, by using the code 'iheartsewing'. In other cabal news, Cherie at Shrimpton Couture is having a 15% off sale through the end of May.

You HAVE to check out this bathing suit up right now at Dorothea's Closet. I mean, REALLY. GO THERE NOW. Look at what the pigeons are doing! And then marvel that somebody's three-martini lunch actually made it into production.

Barb has a new blog about sewing with neckties. And Libby has put her *stunning* necktie dress up at BurdaStyle. It was for her 50th birthday, and she looks magnificent. Happy birthday Libby, and thanks for being an inspiration — I have now penciled in "make necktie dress" for August of 2021!

Lynne says there's a good Little Black Dress exhibit going on in Brighton. Which only makes me sadder that I *won't* be in London this next weekend, as I had hoped. Too much going on here, unfortunately. With any luck I'll be back in the UK soon (and the dollar will recoup some of its oomph against the pound. Perhaps after November?)

Cat sent me a bunch of links to Sartorialist-style street fashion photos from around the world. I really liked the Japan one. Sure everyone is young, and cute, and has an asymmetrical haircut and interesting socks, but that's not a BAD thing.

Did you know some site called Kaboodle (which I never heard of before, and have no idea what they do) is having a contest with Marie Claire magazine, in which they ask you to take a picture of yourself in your favorite spring dress? The winner gets $1000 and a trip to NYC. I've only seen one vintage entry so far, and I haven't really seen much handmade stuff. Mostly sundresses. I think maybe we should all enter. Especially those of us who like to wear vintage, or who are not model-sized … first round of the contest ends June 12. If you enter, let me know and I'll go vote for you!

Or, you know, you could just enter the Pattern Review vintage sewing contest.

To counteract the recent NYT story on the demise of the dress, is a story from the Guardian on how dresses are being reinvented. Thanks to Susan for the link!

In case you were worried I had found a new obsession and not told anyone, here's a shirtdress, sent in by Deb. Check out the collar, it's yummy. And this one, which has CHEVRON POCKETS. Or this one, which has four pockets AND a cute collar.

Deb also sent this. What's that, you ask, hesitant to click on an anonymous link? It's scanned images of the Gazette du Bon Ton! I bet NOW you're clicking, huh? (note: text at site hosting the scans is in Japanese.)

Mary Beth sent a link to Shay's blog, where SHE links to a great set of scans of a 1920s comic, Ella Cinders.

Eirlys sent a link to a thesaurus bracelet that she found on Etsy. Ooh, pretty! Laurie sent this robot clutch purse, which is cute but obviously made for humans. Robot pincers don't clutch, they DESTROY. Plus you keep your robot lipstick and robot keys in your chest plate — everyone knows that.

There's an interesting 2-part interview with the daughter of a 1960s knitwear designer up at Marge's blog. (Warning: site plays music.)

Mindi put her favorite pattern, ever, up on the wiki. Go and marvel. And Lorraine sent a link to a dress that looks like the walkaway dress as reimagined by Loretta Lynn.

Oh, and more Liberty sneakers. Hi-tops this time! You can wear them in your Liberty chair. (Thanks Dory, Eirlys!)

And one more picture before we go, from the wonderful LOLbots:

LOLbot sewing machine

All right — linktime's over — I should really go and get some Actual Work done now, but many, many thanks to all of you who commented on yesterday's post — I was overwhelmed by your kindness and generosity. Thank you!

Theresa May 16, 2008 at 9:19 am

YAY! Linktastic Friday! So many fun links so little time. Thanks!

Charles May 16, 2008 at 9:26 am

Whoops! The “Dorothea’s Closet” link has a stray space in it I think, and blogger is trying to prefix it with “www.blogger.com”.

Erin May 16, 2008 at 9:29 am

arrgh, blogger’s not letting me fix it, either. try this link:http://www.dorotheasclosetvintage.com/1950sPAGE3.html

Jenlyn May 16, 2008 at 9:35 am

Ooo, I love the pattern Mindi sent. It has the same design as a basic wrap-dress but for some reason I like it so much better.

Sarah @ ColorKitten May 16, 2008 at 9:41 am

kaboodle=awesome!! it’s a wishlist (or just a bookmarking site) that works across all sites. mine has housewares from all over the world — yours could have patterns from all your favorite vintage sites!! No, I am not a shill, I just love kaboodle. I switched my daughter’s list to it before Xmas and now we’re all on it.

Anonymous May 16, 2008 at 9:42 am

Oh, my god, I WANT that pattern! Can anyone tell me where I can find Butterick 7787(bust 32)?

Becky May 16, 2008 at 10:36 am

i entered the kaboodle contest with a homemade dress!! as always, you, my dear, are fantastic! now everyone go vote! or post your own!http://www.kaboodle.com/contest/spring-dress-contest/homemade-red-convertible-dress

Eirlys May 16, 2008 at 10:51 am

Wow! Back with a bang! Crying into my earl grey tea that you won’t be over in London next week, Erin, but all these links and fabulous offers are some consolation. Long live the sewing blog cabal!

Anonymous May 16, 2008 at 11:03 am

That pattern Mindi sent – would you ever need another pattern ever? It can be made so many ways!And now I need to go sort through my husband’s neckties. Never thought of using them as a bodice before. I’m sure he won’t mind…carol

Cathy May 16, 2008 at 11:24 am

Saving most of this till later, but love “THIS THREAD IS RELEVANT TO MY INTERESTS”.

Shrimpton Couture May 16, 2008 at 11:47 am

Thank for letting your readers know about my sale Erin and I just want to point out that I did not ask you to do it! LOL (come on its fun to prod some people a bit – oh you know who you are that is bugging our darling Erin)xoxoxCherie

wundermary May 16, 2008 at 11:59 am

Oh, I don’t think the “fake bolero” dress is obvious, I think it is really nice! It’s the sort of design that could look sophisticated or fun, depending upon your fabric / trim / button choices. I am imagining it in a small print with a matching single color trim and some fun buttons.

Toby Wollin May 16, 2008 at 12:12 pm

As a veteran of 8 prom/formal gowns for my daughters, the black prom dress story was just a hoot. I do have to say that I loved the photo of the young lady with her ‘swain’ in his kilt..very very classy.

La BellaDonna May 16, 2008 at 12:48 pm

Oh, yes, I’m with Toby! I loved the Prom Dress story, with the lovely girl and her dashing swain – and mom’s tarantulas. I did my level best to comment over there and say so, but I have no idea how well that worked out. But it doesn’t hurt to say “thank you” here, either, so – thank you for linking!

Sandra May 16, 2008 at 1:16 pm

The Marie Claire/Kaboodle contest sounds like a lot of fun. I’m planning on taking a pic this weekend in my favorite muted, floral dress.

Oddiferous May 16, 2008 at 1:32 pm

I waste at least half an hour of company time clicking links on Linktastic Fridays!And now I am famous! I love the half dress on my advance pattern in the wiki. I want to have a reason to wear it Beatnik style with tight capris & a turtlneck. Or the red and black evening gown, if only my life were that glamorous! I have had it for years, and I still have never made it in any form. I really should.-mindi

Latter-Day Flapper May 16, 2008 at 1:52 pm

I love that “fake bolero” dress. Am I the only one out there who could go for more implied-eroticism and less literal-eroticism in clothes these days?

anthrokeight May 16, 2008 at 2:17 pm

I know we are so over the 7/10 split uproar.BUT! BUT! BUT! I can’t help but be delighted at my Vast Sewing Conspiracy (r) Drag Name!It’s…Whitstable BushmillReally. So on the one hand, a little dirty (Bushmill?) on the other hand, anyone called Whiststable is probably short sighted, always has pins stuck in his/her sleeve and collar because she lost her pincushion, and is otherwise absentminded. In fact, Whitstable Bushmill probably is a seamstress/ modiste in a Dickens novel.Yes!It was almost kind of worth the strange unpleasantness to find this out.I remain, your obedient servant &c.Whitstable Bushmmill, of Bushmill, Jamison, and Jura, Seamstresses.

crescentaluna May 16, 2008 at 2:45 pm

Re. yesterday, I think a lot of us just liked to have a chance to shout out for a blog we love (even when common sense told us to just shut up already). Anyway, LOADS of linktasticnesses today; so glad the the tarantula-eatin’ mom had the common sense to *have the dress sewn* (and it is fabulous). I was in JoAnn’s {of all places} last week, and the panicky, confused, sometimes belligerent mom & daughter duos I saw had me completely flummoxed … “Well, this is just ridiculous, it says you’re a 14, but you wear a six, right? Let’s buy the 6,” demands that fabric cutters explain how to read a pattern, requests for “Ma Tay jersey” … I couldn’t fathom what was going on – and then it hit: Prom Season. I tried to steer a few towards PatternReview, but to no avail. The heartbreak I foresaw! Seriously, I wanted to stage an intervention. Or five. So, again, props to Patti.

Cookie May 16, 2008 at 5:57 pm

Sign me, Francesca Bentley. (I think Ms. Bentley sounds like a starlet who married a studio head, now wears all black, and has had about 6 facelifts.)

CatMacGregor May 16, 2008 at 6:00 pm

Okay, I really love both of those patterns so if anyone knows where to find the 7787 and mindi one, please let me know!! So no spammers can get my email, I’m putting in my URL – you can find me there.Cheers!

Madi May 16, 2008 at 6:33 pm

I liked seeing another girl wearing a custom-sewn dress! I loved making mine- it was so much more fun to wear one i made for myself exactly the way i wanted! and im only 15! i love the links!

Ruth May 16, 2008 at 6:38 pm

So, re yesterday, I missed something. How do I find out my Sewing Conspiracy Drag Name? I want one, really I do!!

Anonymous May 16, 2008 at 9:18 pm

Forget the pigeons- I can’t live without the deer sweater at Dorothea’s closet!

What-I-Found May 16, 2008 at 10:48 pm

A gloomy day was much improved by the Prom Dress story…made me get all misty and thinking of my (far away) kids. But smiling. So thank you so very much. (And I thought that swimsuit had a POCKET!)

Anonymous May 17, 2008 at 8:27 am

Erin, I’ve been a faithful reader for a long time, although this is the first time to leave a comment!Thank you for the LBD exhibit link. I moved to Brighton just a few months ago, and this turned out to be the perfect way to spend a rainy saturday morning!!!

anthrokeight May 17, 2008 at 8:27 am

vast sewing conspiracy drag name = your pet’s name, your street name.

Joni May 17, 2008 at 8:48 am

I’m nursing a baby right now, so that fake-bolero dress would actually come in really handy…Pondering the vintage-pattern sites has raised a bizarre philosophical question with me. (Also an insatiable lust for Butterick 7750 – I’m crushed. CHRUSHED! that someone else beat me to it.) Do you think it’s better to sew a used vintage pattern, or one that’s been uncut? On the one hand, I like the idea that a pattern has been used to create a dress that someone wore and loved… on the other hand I think an uncut pattern must be awfully relieved to be finally living out its destiny after 50 years…

the unreliable narrator May 17, 2008 at 9:04 am

My dear woman who reads so uncannily into the minds of dresses:1) I love your blog.2) I am obsessed with Liberty prints.3) Also I am curious what you think about Donald Brooks?4) But your search engine doesn’t work and I’m still groggy and need coffee and don’t yet want to read the whole blog in one gulp!5) What Is To Be Done?Yours faithfully, the unreliable narrator

the unreliable narrator May 17, 2008 at 9:05 am

Oh and PS, my sewing conspiracy drag name is, apparently, Sugar Dent. Not bad for a brunette!

Ang May 17, 2008 at 10:42 am

I’m confused and this seems to be the best place to ask this….a Liberty print has to be made by Liberty, no? I have a Laeta Ramage 60s blouse with a yellow floral print that also has a Liberty label in it. In researching Liberty prints I’m finding all kinds of dresses and pieces done in a wee floral print but very few are saying it has a Liberty label. How do people know its Liberty? Are people using it as a style term for all small floral print cottons? I’m confused…..(on the other hand, I wasnt confused at all on that bird print swimsuit once I took a good look at the birds up close! thanks for the link, Erin!)Ang/Dorothea’s Closet

Jenlyn May 17, 2008 at 10:47 am

oo, oo, I’m Spring Montrose… yeah :p

lorrwill May 17, 2008 at 10:49 am

Ok I picked Dixie Hoyt as my conspiracy name becauseWhen I was born the dog’s name was Butch. While Butch Randolph is really a cool name, I am a (girly) girl so I vetoed that one. The next dog was Spot and we lived on 24th Street. I think Spot 24th or Spot Twenty Four is a very cool name – for a band – or perhaps a robot.Speaking of robots: my favorite little robot dog with a nose laser is on LOL Robots!!!!And the prom story made me mist up with joy!And my link got posted! I can die happy now.But instead, I shall go sew something vintage. Gotta do my part to keep this global conspiracy alive, you know.~Lorraine a proud member of the Fashion Rebel Alliance and the Global Sewing Conspiracy.

jen May 18, 2008 at 11:49 am

i entered that contest on kaboodle with a dress i made:http://www.kaboodle.com/contest/spring-dress-contest/lemonade-stand :)

jen May 18, 2008 at 12:47 pm

oh! i just entered another dress I made (you can enter multiple times) to kaboodle’s contest, this time one from a vintage pattern.http://www.kaboodle.com/contest/spring-dress-contest/tea-rose-vintage-style-dressare you going to enter??

Cookie May 18, 2008 at 1:36 pm

I think the Sewing Conspiracy Drag Name is derived from your FIRST pet’s name followed by the name of your CHILHOOD street. Though just as we alter patterns, you could go with later day pet or street names if that suits you. But begin at the beginning. (Most Sincerely, Francesca Bentley)

Cookie May 18, 2008 at 1:39 pm

Dammit…how do you correct posts? I meant “CHILDHOOD”, not “CHILHOOD”, which sounds rather urban.

lorrwill May 18, 2008 at 2:58 pm

lol cookie!Yes, I am familiar with the first childhood pet, childhood street rule. Your sewing conspiracy name alteration suggestion is brilliant (of course I would say that since I have already done it):1st pet: Butch1st street: Randolphpass/fail: fail2nd pet: Spot2nd street: 24thpass/fail: fail3rd pet: Dixie3rd street: South Hoytpass/fail: ding! ding! ding! we have a winner!Dixie S. HoytConspirator

Super Kawaii Mama May 18, 2008 at 5:29 pm

Some wonderful links there, now I have all my relaxing time for today planned out. Also, I wanted to thank you and your wonderful community of commenters, for giving me some great advice on vintage pattern sizing. I have quite a collection of vintage patterns but never knew how to figure out my size accurately. Thanks to all the help I received I am now tackling a 1940′s blouse and a 1952 dress today. (details and fabric choices on my blog). I’ll have to post my triumphs once completed. THANKS ALL!

kagitsune May 18, 2008 at 7:10 pm

The Gazette Du Bon Ton link made me a very, very happy girl. Early 20′s illustrations/fashion FTW!! 8D

Kelly May 19, 2008 at 4:26 am

Loved all the links Erin.. I went to all and looked around. :):) Wonderful stuff. I too really love the fake bolero look I have Retro butterick ’50 6523 in size 18-20-22 but need it in bust 32 – 34 if anyone would like to trade. That is really too many sizes to grade down for my inexperienced drafting ability. Jen… wonderful dresses you posted on Kaboodle. I love your yellow dress, and the sweater you have with it is fabulous. What pattern did you use? k

Diane May 19, 2008 at 10:30 am

OMG! I have that very pattern and the Singer sewing machine too. Maybe the universe is trying to tell me something.

Eirlys May 19, 2008 at 11:44 am

Oh dear, Cookie, by your first model my drag name would have to be “Angharad Spencer” – sounds like an old lady who does flower arranging at church (a wonderful, laudable activity, but probably not drag-compatible). By fudging the order of the pets/streets, I can manage “Blackie Ormerod”, which is getting closer, in a film noir-ish way.My preferred handle, however, would have to be “Liberty Lawn”, or possibly “Tana Lawn”; I did read somewhere on a blog (not this one, obviously) that Tana Lawn was the name of Liberty’s most successful and celebrated C20th fabric designer! Almost…No, we must scotch that rumour right away. This is really Erin’s bag, but in her absence here goes. Tana lawn is a fabric produced by Liberty from the 1920s, “lawn” being a generic term for a finely woven cotton fabric (Laon being the city in northern France famous for producing fine linen, or “Laon linen” which became “lawn linen” – correct me if this is all twaddle, Erin) and “Tana” being the name of the lake in Ethiopia which irrigated the Sudanese cotton fields for Liberty’s version. Lake Tana empties into the evocatively named Blue Nile; here’s a link for fellow lake-nerds: http://earth.esa.int/riverandlake/samples/samples_africa_laketana.htmI am trying to scratch up a Liberty pattern authority for you, realvintage.com, and will get back to you here if I succeed. Meanwhile, Liberty Lawn has left the building…

Cookie May 19, 2008 at 12:41 pm

I love both Anghard Spencer (I see braids across her head, like that lady in the old Folgers coffee commercials) and Blackie Ormerod (who I suspect of spying)! Thanks for the Liberty history :) Either Amelia or Desdemona mentions “yards of lawn” in OTHELLO. Until I found this site and tidbits like yours, I thought she was talking about her garden.

kittenfemme May 19, 2008 at 4:54 pm

In the Great Sewing Conspiracy I’m apparently Ariel Middleway. It’s got a certain je ne sais qois about it. I think I’ll keep it.Also, Erin, I adore the blog. It got me started sewing vintage!

the unreliable narrator May 20, 2008 at 6:59 am

Ooooh ooooh ooooh I want to know Jen’s pattern too! It is a cute yellow dress, we love it, sigh.Now off to try if the search box works this time…..

Madi May 20, 2008 at 3:37 pm

i would be Sam Rutherford on my first go… but if i move on theres Pippin Decou.. much better!

Ruth May 21, 2008 at 6:43 pm

Well–now that I know how I think I’ll go with a later pet and be Kitty Whittier. It’s so not me, but a fun image anyway!

Jana September 23, 2010 at 1:23 pm

Breastfeeding dress. That is all.