Etsy’s loss is your gain

by Erin on May 21, 2008

Jace (at Gremly Girl) recently let me know of a change to Etsy's search that I wasn't aware of … the new default Etsy search is for handmade items only:

etsy search bar

So if you search, say, "fauxlero" on Etsy, without changing the default to "Vintage" … well, you wouldn't get much. Then you would believe there are no fake boleros on Etsy, and, considering how many fake-bolero links I've been sent in the past 24 hours, that's un-possible.

In order to make it worth your while to change the little drop-down in the search box from "handmade" to "vintage" (see below)

etsy search bar

a bunch of Etsy sellers have banded together to offer a special "Buried Treasure" promotion. They're offering 10% off through the end of May to Dressaday readers who put "dressaday" in the message to sellers. The site won't input the discount automatically, so buyers will get a revised Paypal invoice from the seller. (Some pattern sellers offer additional shipping and quantity discounts, which they'll combine with the dressaday discount.)

Here's the list of participating Etsy sellers, in alphabetical order:

Bamabelle — vintage clothing
Enigma Vintage — vintage clothing
Gremly Girl — vintage patterns
Joules — vintage clothing and patterns
Just Picked Vintage — vintage patterns & notions
Pattern Mania — vintage patterns
Pattern Shop — vintage patterns
Pattern Stash — vintage patterns
Sandritocat — vintage patterns

I suggest you take advantage of the discount by perhaps snapping up something like this:

Simplicity 3560

Or this:

Simplicity 3560

It'd be a shame to let those dresses languish, undiscovered and almost undiscoverable, just because Etsy changed their search …

Lydia May 21, 2008 at 8:55 am

Augh! *covers eyes* I’m looking at buying a possible third vertical file for pattern storage. For dog’s sake, no pattern sales. Please, please!–Lydia

banzailibrarian May 21, 2008 at 9:05 am

I’ve got a nice dress pattern up on Etsy right now, but it’s only a 32″ bust: http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=9731652

abigailrose May 21, 2008 at 9:18 am

Hello from a faithful Dress A Day reader! I have a small etsy store with a few vintage patterns up, and I’d like to extend your offer to my store for all of your readers. :) The link isshinyprettythings.etsy.comThanks! :) -Abby

MadeByAmanda May 21, 2008 at 10:35 am

So how would an Etsy seller get in on offering this discount? I have patterns in two Etsy shops, and would be perfectly willing to offer the same deal for Dressaday readers.www.bbsvintage.etsy.comwww.butterflyblue.etsy.com

The Boss May 21, 2008 at 11:00 am

I am an avid etsy shopper and am not a fan of this new search feature. THANK YOU so much for posting this offer!

Teresa May 21, 2008 at 11:14 am

Okay, thanks to the great sewing conspiracy, I just spent a good 30 minutes perusing patterns from the 60′s & 70′s! I even found the pattern that my mom used to make me a great ORANGE vest and pair of bell bottoms when we switched from Catholic to public school and no longer had to wear a uniform. If only I still had the pattern or the bell bottoms! If only I was still a size 12! Thanks Erin & Etsy for the walk down memory lane. I may just have to give in to the conspiracy and spend $5.00 to get that pattern!Regards,Teresa

Cookie May 21, 2008 at 12:17 pm

The girls on the first pattern look to be drawn by Diane Arbus! NO ONE is going to adopt them looking like that. The one on the right looks VERY odd…though maybe the paper is just crumpled? Or, my search for my own perfect posting pic has turned me hyper critical. (When the search is over, I’ll offer both unfortunates a makeover in photoshop if they’re still around.)

Wafa Obaidat May 21, 2008 at 12:39 pm

hey awseome blog! interested in link swapping?? check out my new blog http://fashionambitions.blogspot.com i love love love vintage! keep up this amazing blog! fashion ambition

propriatress May 21, 2008 at 12:42 pm

thanks for the nice post on this issue..erin…..etsy is so secretive on the new changes on the search function….no notice to someone about to search….they just assume everyone can read their mind on the dropdown box thingie…….Of course, anyone who says DressADay to me is my new bff…at least long enough to score a discount! wink.

Jean S May 21, 2008 at 1:47 pm

the vast sewing conspiracy just smiled on me–I found a Vogue Vintage pattern that I’ve loved (and that Vogue has discontinued) on one of the sites you mentioned!

sandritocat May 21, 2008 at 2:16 pm

Thanks Erin (& Jace) for this article. It’s already helped, I just sold a pattern to a reader ~one of the few I’ve sold since this change, so thanks and Bless you!I adore you blog!Sandra ~ Sandritocat

Velvet Plaza May 21, 2008 at 4:26 pm

the one in plaid in Simplicity 3560 looks like she’s grimacing while smiling. The other jyoung lady looks like she’s trying to impersonate her mother at PTA meeting or Parent-Teacher conference.And is anyone a little bothered by the armhole-sleevey things on the second pattern? Has Erin uncovered, the horror, faux sleeves!?

Chantelle May 21, 2008 at 4:57 pm

I wondered why all of a sudden some of my favourites were sold!Of course I just went and bought a bunch of patterns – I don’t want to lose more of my favourites :)Thanks for offering this deal and thanks for publicizing it!

Just Picked Vintage May 21, 2008 at 5:19 pm

Thank you so much for mentioning my shop! The tutotial was also great, it’s just a little change, but it makes a big difference!Christine fromJust Picked Vintage

anthrokeight May 21, 2008 at 5:33 pm

The lady in the Vogue pattern 7689 in the lavender dress with the glasses- is she going to a 3D movie? Or is she putting on her Secret Ray Gun Specs?If 1) Green Stripe had better get hers out or she’ll be staring at a weird red-and-blue screen for an hour and a half. If 2) she’d better get hers out or she’ll be a sorry pile of smoking cinders in a minute or two.Either way, it would be a losing situation… get your glasses Green Stripe!

anthrokeight May 21, 2008 at 5:35 pm

Also, Turquoise Dress in Simplicity looks like she has been practicing her Marylin Monroe head-tilt.Tilt, Turquoise, tilt!Next she’ll be practicing “Happy Birthday Mr. President” on pattern covers!

Pattern Stash May 21, 2008 at 7:32 pm

Thanks for bringing the Etsy search change to your readers! We’ve been so invisible, and I’m delighted to offer the discount.Wendy

lorrwill May 21, 2008 at 8:07 pm

Ah the irony. Here I got Etsy’d – slapped with the inspiration stick – by this Tetris Skirt that I found there last night: http://tinyurl.com/3xbqp6Which in turn lead to the matching necklace: http://tinyurl.com/6amhejAnd now you point me back to Etsy to get a fix of my favourite new drug: Vintage Patterns!!!!!!!!!!!!!Too bad I am facing impending unemployment (stupid gov’t contracts!) and have to keep my pennies close :-(

Anonymous May 21, 2008 at 9:38 pm

Here is a “fauxlero” dress I made for my DD, http://www.flickr.com/photos/9423018@N04/1460395688/in/photostream/, and here is my review of it on Patternreview.com. http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-bin/readreview.pl?readreview=1&reviewnum=23460Tina W

Kelly May 21, 2008 at 10:07 pm

Great patterns today Erin.. and Tina that dress that you made for your daughter is fabulous. You did a wonderful job. kthe one with no sewing conspiracy drag name

Velvet Plaza May 22, 2008 at 8:27 am

Kelly we need to make one up for you. Maybe we can do your mom’s pet and street – since your didn’t work for you…or How do you feel about Kyana Seldon? (My son’s first pet and his first adress?)

shannon May 22, 2008 at 9:27 am

I certainly think etsy could have made it more clear that the search has changed, maybe with an announcement on the front page?

lorrwill May 22, 2008 at 12:06 pm

Tina the dress is gorgeous. That is the way a fauxlero should be done!

Cookie May 22, 2008 at 1:22 pm

Oh yes…that little girl’s dress is delightful! Tina: I read your pattern review and was so impressed that you maneuvered some common sense changes and expanded the lining, etc! I’m sure your daughter will remember that dress her whole life. BTW: Everyone, we have proposed classifying the sub-division of Baby Feauxleros (child sized) as being called Beauxleros. The discussion is still going on in the previous posting blog.

lorrwill May 22, 2008 at 6:14 pm

Hey Kelly what about Xanada Rose?Xanadu Isabella Avataris was my little pooch when I lived on Rose Way in the 80′s. I got her in the 70′s in case you couldn’t tell by her full name.

Cookie May 22, 2008 at 8:11 pm

Kelly: You could also choose from some pet name combinations from my mom’s family. She is not part of the conspiracy, so she doesn’t need them.Dutchess Mountfort (circa 1950), Tweeter Post (1960′s), Pandora “Panda” Eardly (1970′s), Desiree Mark (1980′s) and/or Dolly Pacific (present)Clearly, she moves around a bit.

natalie May 23, 2008 at 2:00 am

hey, i wanna join in on this buried treasure sale business! homegrownms.etsy.comenjoy!

Velvet Plaza May 23, 2008 at 8:10 am

Hey I like Desiree Mark and Dolly Pacific!

Cookie May 23, 2008 at 9:16 am

I must say, Xanadu Avataris is catchy, too. I see her in a spangly tinsel wig, like Olivia Newton John wore at the end of that movie. Dolly Pacific sounds like a jolly, Good Time Girl. She and Xanadu would be pals. I think she must own a saloon or something.

Anonymous May 23, 2008 at 1:30 pm

Lorrwill, no joke. I”m on etsy all the time and had no idea. Who knows how long it would’ve taken for me to notice if Erin hadn’t posted this.

Pattern Peddler May 23, 2008 at 7:09 pm

I just made an Etsy pattern sale, and dressaday was imbedded in the message – NOW I KNOW WHY! Thank you, Dress A Day! Count me in on the May discount plan. And to my buyer, Amy, look for a PayPal credit of 10% forthcoming.Connie”Pattern Peddler”patternpeddler.etsy.com

Laura May 9, 2009 at 2:07 pm

What happened to the 1st two listed?