Quick! Check this out …

by Erin on May 28, 2008

Lucite Box Vintage splatter-print dress

You have GOT to go take a look at this splatter-print 50s dress that is up at Holly's new Lucite Box Vintage site. For one thing, it's a hard-to-find size: B40-W32-H44. For another, it's cotton. In addition: it has pockets! (Plus it's only $75!) And the print … I love that print.

This would be a great dress to wear to a wedding (as a guest) — throw a little cardigan over it, and you're set to go to anything from a noon wedding outdoors (add big white sunglasses) to something cocktail-y (add rhinestone jewelry or serious shoes).

I love these sheath-y dresses with the interesting necklines; they're sexy without being OVERTLY so. This dress shows no cleavage, eschews transparency, and isn't split up to THERE, but it's still sexy … without needing thong underwear. When did we start thinking that a mere cumulative total of exposed skin was enough? It isn't.

But don't stay here listening to my grousing — anyway, I've got to go yell at some kid to get offa my lawn — go take a look and decide for yourself …

Eirlys May 28, 2008 at 8:18 am

Two great necklines in a row, Erin. Is there a name for these unusual shapes, anyone know? Agree with you that less is more in the exposed flesh stakes, most especially once one is over a certain age (moi).

Lydia May 28, 2008 at 8:31 am

Mmmm. Delectable!

fourkid May 28, 2008 at 8:37 am

Yes, it is lovely – and I thought those cool little pleats at the back were the best part of the dress.pb

Lisa @ the Vintage Fashion Library May 28, 2008 at 8:45 am

Love it! That color is gorgeous.

lorrwill May 28, 2008 at 9:56 am

oh noes! You revealed one of the big secrets of the Vintage Sewing Conspiracy! That we are drawn to certain vintage styles because they are sexy and alluring without being at all tawdry or trashy.:-)Dixie S. HoytConspirator, FRA

DaisyLynn May 28, 2008 at 9:58 am

Hi, I am a religious reader of your blog… check at least once a day, hoping you’ll add something new when I wasn’t looking. :-)I wanted to ask a questiona nd thought you wonderful ladies out there might be able to help. Has anyone sewn the walkaway dress before?I’m trying to draft my own copy of it and can’t figure out whether the front part is fastened in any way… is it hooked in the back, or to the sides of the back, or just allowed to flap around underneath…???Intriguing problem, as I’ve only seen the cover design and back sketches of the pieces. I’d be grateful for ANY help!Thanks!DaisyLynn

Anonymous May 28, 2008 at 10:09 am

DaisyLynn: if you goal is to draft the pattern for the “walkaway” dress as a project, then why not make it any way that you wish? If you goal is to sew the dress, why not just buy a copy of the reprinted pattern? I believe it can be had very cheaply on sale at JoAnne Fabrics.

Anonymous May 28, 2008 at 10:09 am

Erin May 28, 2008 at 10:15 am

DaisyLynn: have you looked on Pattern Review for reviews of the pattern?

paisleyapron May 28, 2008 at 10:32 am

I would wear that blue kick-pleated dream of a dress everyday, if it was in my size. Thanks, Erin, for the inspiration. Off I go to find a pattern that somewhat resembles said dress. Has anyone here seen a pattern that looks like this beauty?Bootsie AreteFellow Conspirator

Anonymous May 28, 2008 at 10:49 am

Thanks Erin! I love the dress, and it just so happens that I am going to a wedding in Napa, Ca. in July at a winery. I know, poor me. It will be blazing hot, and this dress is so perfect that I reserved it and when my check clears, it’s mine, all mine. Yea! From Karen S.

Teresa May 28, 2008 at 11:22 am

AHHHH!! Someone beat me to it! Ah well…it wasn’t my size and I’m not actually a fan of wearing dresses although I might be convinced for the Septebmer Wear a Dress Day, just maybe.I have a wedding to go to in North Carolina in August! Heat & humidity here we come. I’m looking for a cool, comfortable pants/top pattern (yeah, I said pants!) that will carry me through. This blog has convinced me that I can make what I want as I certainly can’t buy anything that fits well, will wear well, and is within my budget (much lower after paying for the airline flight!)Thanks for the inspiration.Teresa

beth May 28, 2008 at 1:18 pm

I’m with daisylynn. There are a million reasons to want to draft your own version of something.From the diagram on the butterick website it looks like the back buttons the same way as the front. Remember you can always unfold the instructions in the store to see how something is made. In fact, it’s an excellent way to further your education (so is deconstructing well-made thrift shop clothes). Good luck with your draft!

Kathleen May 28, 2008 at 1:28 pm

DaisyLynn: See Rachael’s blog about the Walkaway dress pattern (http://feeds.feedburner.com/MammaMade)With the Great info she gives there, you may be able to draft your pattern without some of the issues. I have a problem with the back part of the dress pulling the front part waaay up – and am working on some solutions, but haven’t a lot of time to spend at the moment. Good luck! Thanks ladies for all your inspiration!Kathleen S aka Flagon Donaldson

Anonymous May 28, 2008 at 2:02 pm

I love those sheath-y dresses too. I have a >waistand and this shape dress makes all that seem okay, and even intentional and sexy. Without being obnoxious.-Shaun

Anonymous May 28, 2008 at 2:48 pm

The front of the walkaway dress buttons in back, with a button loop made of an extension of the bias that trims everything. Yeah, it’s way back heavy, a full circle skirt just in back. I’ve altered my pattern to make the back a half circle (I just DON”T need so much fabric dragging me down), but I haven’t made it up yet. -Sandra

veiledglory May 28, 2008 at 3:48 pm

De-lurking to say:Great point on being sexy does not equate revealing skin! Continue to grouse…:)~Anna

Noile May 28, 2008 at 6:32 pm

I made the walkaway dress and used flat hooks to close the back, and buttons to close the front. To keep the under-sheath from riding up, I sewed the buttons to the front of the under-layer, and button the skirt onto it.Here it is on my blog: Butterick 4790, if you want more details.

Maggie May 28, 2008 at 7:59 pm

I read somewhere that any dress is sexy because it’s the only article of clothing we don’t share with the boys! True, I guess. It’s a feminine icon and Erin, you do it proud!Marguerite

Anonymous May 28, 2008 at 8:14 pm

I’ve often thought that the WalkAway dress would benefit from a waist stay in the full-skirted wrap-from-back-to-front part of the dress. That would allow the full skirt to be supported from the waist and not pull the bodice out of shape — in theory, at any rate. I haven’t made this dress yet. How to make a waist stay: http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/cr_clothing/article/0,,DIY_13751_2316162,00.htmlI suspect our 1950s sisters sewed this dress with very little ease at the waist so that the fit at the waist was quite snug. These were women who wore girdles or waist cinchers nearly everyday.CMC

Kelly May 28, 2008 at 9:51 pm

Everything is perfect with this dress. I wish that I had one in my size for every day of the week. Thanks for sharing. :) Oh Sandra, I would love to know how you made your walkaway dress pattern with a half circle skirt. I believe that when I tried I was actually trying to make it more complicated then it actually had to be.. :) k

Jean C. May 28, 2008 at 10:24 pm

So cute! Yep, the pleats in the back make it one of those… I don’t have to be that careful if I cross my legs… they aren’t going to break off cause it’s soo tight! This gives some breathing room… for the legs! The neck reminds me of the green dress you just made! Cute!

DaisyLynn May 29, 2008 at 2:30 am

Thanks to everybody who helped with comments!I can’t just buy the pattern because I live in Austria… We don’t get such cool repro vintage stuff here.But I now have quite a few ideas how to go on, and your comments have given me the heads-up on a few potential problems! I liked the buttons on the front idea, I might use that. Thanks again!DaisyLynn

Fiona May 29, 2008 at 7:31 am

Your insidious indoctrination is working – you have me looking out for vintage dresses in local charity shops now! Not that I would really see me wearing them. I found a beauty in Crimplene, of all things, yesterday, and one more in Irish linen. No elegant find like that one though!

Dr. Julie-Ann May 29, 2008 at 10:44 am

I LOVE this dress! It is a perfect example of why I prefer vintage to modern–it is so feminine, it is sexy without needing a thong (that part cracked me up), it is practical, it is timeless. *sigh* Thank you for featuring this dress.(And congrats, Karen S. for being the one to snag it)Julie

Velvet Plaza May 30, 2008 at 7:19 am

Daisylynn, you can order it off the Butterick Pattern Site.