Tucks Everlasting

by Erin on June 27, 2008

McCalls_8469

I don't think I've talked about how much I love tucks. There's no reason for it; I just do. And tucks combined with a Peter Pan collar … whoa, Nellie. (Why is this one too small for me? Why?)

I even love the faux dickey. Weirdly, I don't like real dickeys, but give me a faker version of an essentially fake thing, and I'm all over it.

This one is from Jen at MOMSPatterns.com, and I would just like to taunt you all with the fact that when I was in Florida last week I MET JEN. And, as will surprise NO ONE, she is awesome. That is all.

Actually, that is not all; I've been traveling a lot and have realized that I have a strange habit of smiling at people on the street (even in NYC where you're not supposed to). I'm trying to make a list of things/people I will smile at, and here's a start:

• babies (no brainer)
  • people who are wearing more than two very bright colors at the same time
  • older men (>65) who are wearing non-baseball hats
  • older women (>65) with "done" hair ("ladies", really)
  • anyone wrassling a tantrumy toddler (they need all they sympathy they can get)
  • anyone I catch rolling their eyes at some obliviously rude person, like someone gesticulating with a lit cigarette on a crowded sidewalk
  • robots (okay, I haven't really met any robots on the street, but if I did, I would smile at them. Even if they had their lasers trained on me.

What's your list? Is there anything you used to smile at but don't anymore? I used to smile at young people dressed in full traditional punk-rock garb, but then I realized that smiling at them in the "aw, you're so adorable with your safety pins and your black eyeliner!" way only pissed them off. So now I pretend to ignore them, and they're happy again.

San Antonio Sue June 27, 2008 at 9:34 am

Albert Nipon was the KING of tucks! and why are his patterns so hard to find?I drive a van with mushrooms painted on the side and I always smile and wave at anybody I see staring at it (mostly kids; they are WAY more observant than grownups).

Ladygrande (Texas Marie) June 27, 2008 at 9:34 am

Lovely!

gaylen June 27, 2008 at 9:34 am

I smile at the little old couples holding hands.And most of the rest of your list – oh and anyone with a big dog! g

the_lazymilliner June 27, 2008 at 10:00 am

I smile at myself. Grin.

Lisa @ the Vintage Fashion Library June 27, 2008 at 10:03 am

I smile at people who piss me off. It confuses them. :-)

lisa June 27, 2008 at 10:06 am

I, hilariously, was one of those punk rockers and I always smiled at folks when I passed. I think it made them more freaked out than if I had just scowled and growled. I still smile at people, especially the ones who look like they hate that you are smiling at them. It never stops being funny.

sugardale June 27, 2008 at 10:11 am

I can’t help but smile at any puppy or dog I pass by.

Jen ~ MOMSPatterns June 27, 2008 at 10:27 am

IF ONLY:- Starbucks made a drink larger than a Venti- My husband hadn’t been waiting to watch another UEFA soccer quarterfinal game with me- Erin hadn’t: 1. Gotten LOST 2. And Had to leave to packI could have spent another 100 hours talking to her! She’s just as fan-tab-u-lous as you have always imagined her to be!Things I always smile at:- Finding a good deal on vintage anything at a thrift sale- Funny things my kids say (like yesterday when I made French Toast for breakfast and Liam said ‘Dinner Breakfast??’ as I sometimes do a ‘Breakfast Dinner’ for them and that’s when French Toast is normally featured..)- When I hear a child (say 10 & under) using a word I didn’t even realize they had the capability of knowing. Like ‘rambuncious’ or ‘puzzlement’ or ‘impossibility’- When I hear mispronunciations of words like ‘madigian’ instead of ‘magician’.Thank you for the kudos, Ms. Erin! Any blog reader who’d like to use the coupon code ‘onlyforu’ at http://www.momspatterns.com can save 20% off their order thru June 30. Big weekend sale. Just for fun, and is a little bit extra over the last code!

ottermatic June 27, 2008 at 11:07 am

I smile at dogs! Directly at the dogs, I mean, and I ignore the humans. Sometimes I also say, “Hey, dog!” I live in a very gay friendly neighborhood so I usually smile at gay couples holding hands because 1) it makes me smile anyway and 2) I want people to know that their small act of defiant love increases the happiness in the world, and that they are safe and welcome in our ‘hood. I smile at one particularly woman whom I pass every morning on the way to the bus, too. I don’t know how we started it, but we have a literal passing friendship now. It’s a morning brightener.

Anonymous June 27, 2008 at 11:41 am

Depending on how observant I am about the mushrooms painted on people’s vans – I smile alot. My favorite street smile came in Pittsburgh at 7 am, when I was scouting a cup of coffee, and a very large very everything biker-type was approaching me. Straight on. I have no idea whatsoever what was on my face. I was frightened (and a teenager) at the time. The man grabbed my shoulders (!), and then his white beard spread into a wide grin, and he boomed, “It’s so good to see someone smiling this morning!”Kathy

Jeanette June 27, 2008 at 11:45 am

I smile at all of your list,and I still smile at the punks/teens dressed to impress.I was one of them once,and I would have loved a smile!Today I smiled at a young man who was dressed very fashionably,with very dyed red hair (I think we used the same brand of hair dye!). He was passing a truck full of Alpha males who were taunting him,so I gave him an encouraging smile.

Anonymous June 27, 2008 at 11:51 am

I smile and talk to dogs, sometimes verbally and sometimes non-verbally. I think the dogs talk to me first.I know it sounds silly, but hey, it’s all good.

Ana June 27, 2008 at 12:07 pm

I smile at dogs, babies and lesbians.

cindy June 27, 2008 at 12:13 pm

Always smile when…- adults laugh at their mistakes…life is too short to be embarrassed!- kids at imaginary play- bright color grosgrain ribbon- A-line skirts on women..is there anything more flattering?just to name a few.

3KillerBs June 27, 2008 at 12:38 pm

What is the lady in the blue flowers holding in her hand? It looks tremendously like the opera hood I knitted for Civil War reenactment. Some sort of scarf to keep her hair neat in an open car? A rain hood? ???I smile a lot because I’m a happy person and there are many things that set me off. but I always try to suppress the smile for the punk types because I don’t want them to think I’m laughing at them when I’m just remembering spiking my mullet haircut with blue mousse on weekends. But I always smile at anyone else in Nascar gear — especially when I lived in the north and when I go back to visit. (Anyone know if such a thing as M&Ms novelty print fabric exists? I’d rather proclaim my favorite driver with a nice dress than a baggy, man’s t-shirt).

belphebe June 27, 2008 at 12:55 pm

I sometimes wonder why people smile at me, but then I realize it’s probably because I make eye contact with them. I don’t think I’m smiling, but maybe I am.As someone else mentioned, I smile at dogs but usually ignore the owners. Well, I do smile at them too, but at the dogs first.I smile at some of the other things Erin mentioned, including the robots. Okay, maybe I haven’t met too many robots, but I did meet some Klingons and Borg a few years ago, and I smiled at them.

tea June 27, 2008 at 12:55 pm

I smile at this post.Also like ana, I smile at dogs, babies, and lesbians. Gay men, too. (And like some of the other commenters, it is in fact the dog who is the direct recipient of the smile rather than the person). Plus I smile at cats, though they’re usually in windows rather than outside. In my neighborhood, in fact, it would be nice if all the cats could have little buttons to press when they see crimethere’s so many kitties in our windows that they would constitute a great crime watch patrol. Actually, I smile at pretty much any animal except the kind without legs/fins/wings/other appendages. (Snakes and worms, I’m talking about you.)Like many others here, I also smile at the punk rockers, but only when they’re in singles or pairs or out of context. Not if they’re in a big pack or the huge congregation of them always at the coffee shop and the coop down my blockmy face would break off with too much smiling.Sometimes I smile at thuggy, tough little gangstas.

kim p. June 27, 2008 at 12:56 pm

Today I smiled at a woman driving a minivan that had race-car flames painted on the sides! As a reluctant minivan driver, that has always been my fantasy–and she beat me to it!I also like to smile at little kids, anyone over 65, anyone letting off sparks of unconventionality.

Anonymous June 27, 2008 at 1:17 pm

What a gorgeous design! But where on earth do you order a waist like that? Is there a gym on earth who can give you that beautiful waist!!! Did women really look like that “way back when”?

xstpenguin June 27, 2008 at 1:28 pm

While I’m with the smiling, I’m a bit worried about the blond with the “down and give me 20!” in the background of the picture. What did poor blue dress do, spill something on her fauxicky? Borrow the hat without asking?And with the Faux theme…the Chinese take-away menu we had through the door today – “Mock Vegetarian Chicken” anyone?

Kathleen June 27, 2008 at 1:47 pm

Babies – & they all laugh at my face – never had one that didn’t!Grins for anyone that holds a door or that I hold a door for.Smiles & chats with most animals.Clotheslines full of laundry.ADAD….

Anonymous June 27, 2008 at 1:55 pm

I smile and look directly at any young person with an unusual get up. I figure, since they’re begging for attention with such a showy dispay, I don’t mind obliging. If one of them has on a wonderful (if slightly hostile looking) garment, I lean in and say confidentially, “What a fantastic belt!” I don’t care if it freaks them out. Heh!Shaun

Velvet Plaza June 27, 2008 at 2:02 pm

I smile at dogs of all sizes (first and then sometimes the owner) Squirrels, birds, cats, misspelled signs. Anyone making a fool of themselves. Babies and small children. Goth kids. Emo kids. People with tattoos. People with multiple peircings. Homeless people. Disabled people. People in line in front of me or behind me. DMV workers. UPS and FedEx People. Mail people. Cashiers. Military members.Immigrants.People who are talking way too loud.Angry people. Anyone in a “costume.”Old People.People who stare.(throws them off)

Theresa June 27, 2008 at 2:04 pm

BTW woman in Version A looks very pleased with herself. (and whoever said the “drop and give me 20! OMG! You are so RIGHT!) Is a faux dickey a Fickey?

Jen ~ MOMSPatterns June 27, 2008 at 3:22 pm

Now I want chinese for dinner.. AGAIN this week..

erin June 27, 2008 at 3:24 pm

I smile at people who don’t expect it: the neglected casual white male, the frumpy dumpy-looking woman, the punks, the business folk (if they make eye contact), the toughs. Of course, I am aware of my environment. But the last time I was walking in downtown Seattle I passed all sorts of folks and it was a sunny beautiful day. Many seemed suprised to receive a smile. Isn’t that a little sad? But I smiled at them. Most smiled back — even if just a tiny bit. I even asked a random man on a smoke break for directions. Everyone is happier and more accomodating if you smile and them and make strong eye contact. Getting smiles back was my highlight that day.

Laura June 27, 2008 at 3:38 pm

I smile at children who obviously dressed themselves! We should support their desire to make themselves happy through what they wear. (And more of us should do it, too.)

Anonymous June 27, 2008 at 4:11 pm

Re: the fake dickey. Does a make believe version of a fake thing become a real thing? Is it like a double negative? Is it a real dickey; a rickey, if you will?-Sandra

Anonymous June 27, 2008 at 4:12 pm

Oh, and I smile at all of the above.-Sandra

Cherie June 27, 2008 at 5:30 pm

Yup,I smile at those who pass me as well. Pretty much everyone. And, likewise, they smile back! That double positive of happiness will be passed on, and it brightens our days! To me it sort of says, hey, we’re all in this together!

Eirlys June 27, 2008 at 5:38 pm

Yeah, I’m a profligate smiler, both in professional and recreational contexts.Children in nativity plays – not necessarily my own – make me smile particularly hard – until my face hurts or I begin to blub, whichever is the sooner.I also smile (slightly more intentionally) at my father when I visit him in his home for the terminally befuddled. He smiles right back – so much more readily than he used to. Age really can mellow a guy.Smiles disarm and feed the soul. And they are 100% FREE! Thanks for such a feel-good post, Erin. I’m nicely set up now for the weekend, and fully intend to spend it broadening my smiling-at horizons to, say, politicians (though that might be a step too far) and possibly medics bearing syringes. Or weeds.

Alex June 27, 2008 at 6:50 pm

I am a smiler and a complement bomber (which makes my kids crazy). I smile at anyone who looks left out, or lonely, or sad. I smile at old people, especially those that seem self conscious about the amount of time that they take to do things. I smile at invisible women like me for whom youth is a memory but age is not yet here. The age when the waist line expands and men stop looking at you in that way. I smile at gawky teens who look so uncomfortable in their own skin. I complement them on something, a broach, nail polish color, even adventuresome food choices at the grocery store and then smile broadly and continue on my way. When people dont have time to say oh this old thing or negate the compliment it sticks with them, that is a complement bomb!

Penny June 27, 2008 at 9:23 pm

An incident happened many years back I have never forgotten, I have always loved life and people, I was a struggling single parent of 3 children, and belonged to a single parent group. Dave was our chauffeur, not married, and watched over us girls, making sure we got to baseball games etc… Well this one lady Grace who tended to be miserable and make caddy remarks to me and others said to David… I cannot figure it out I call her names, I am nasty to her and she smiles at me.. That bothered her more than anything. So to this day I smile at everyone I can. and especially animals. I think I could be a secret undercover animal whisperer… I smiled at a horse practicing in a horse race and the horse turned its head and showed its teeth and smiled back at me, so I bet on it.. It had never won a race, I bet my $2.00 for a win and smiley came in first and I won $300, that was 30 years ago..So keep smiling world!!!! Penny

marie June 27, 2008 at 9:50 pm

I smile at– the “ladies” — women of a certain age who are taking care to be “done up” and attractive;– women on buses taking care of babies/toddlers, whether they are the mothers or the nannies;– men in fedoras;– anyone named “eirlys”!

NoraNora June 27, 2008 at 10:53 pm

I am disabled and I try really hard to do everything I possibably can for myself, because so much has been taken from me. But one day it popped into my head that when complete strangers offer to do things for me, when I’m out and about, it gives them a lift when I accept it.So now I smile at (among other things)anyone who offers and say “Thank you that makes it so much easier.” And, you know what? It does make life easier!

Chelsea June 27, 2008 at 10:58 pm

I smile at people in wheelchairs.Not just the one pushing it, ignoring the person in the chair as if I’m embarassed I saw them.

Kristen June 28, 2008 at 12:15 am

i smile at everyone in disneyland. the guests. the cast members. they all need it. :)I smile at people in other cars while I am driving. It’s really fun.

Anonymous June 28, 2008 at 9:45 am

I smile at:Old married couples, because I hope to be one some day (or half of one).Young teen boy/men who are so obviously trying to look “tough”. I know that they are really just little boy on the inside!Little red-headed boys, because I have a big red-headed boy who was SOOO cute as a little one!

Carla June 28, 2008 at 9:52 am

Here in the South, people just smile. Much more than other parts of the country and it’s quite nice. Odd, I am definitely a smiler but I won’t necessarily laugh when everyone else does. Often I find myself quietly thinking, “That’s only mildly funny, certainly not worthy of a guffaw.” But smiles? Hey, I’m on it!

EnglishDaffodil June 28, 2008 at 10:13 am

I smile at Muslim ladies in headscarves. It’s like the poster above who smiles at gay couples to let them know they’re welcome here.Dads out by themselves with kids, because it makes my heart melt and especially if you can tell that Dad doesn’t OFTEN take the kids out and is struggling a bit!Babies who look like they’re about to burst into tears. I’m always amazed at how just smiling at them will sometimes change their mind about that impending wail.Older ladies dressed stylishly. I know that when I retire, I’m gonna be living in sweatpants and tennis shoes, just ’cause I can. Gotta love the gals who hold on to their dignity, their jewelry, and their high heels!

Cookie June 28, 2008 at 12:22 pm

I make an effort to smile at many people (one of the pleasures of not living in New York any more!) but when I REALLY smile, or LAUGH, is when I see someone singing softly or talking to themselves on the street or in a store or something! Then they suddenly catch my eye and realize they’re doing it, and we laugh togeher. I LOVE THAT, because I mutter to myself all the time (in a non-crazy way, I hope)

Latter-Day Flapper June 28, 2008 at 10:55 pm

“People wearing more than two really bright colors at a time.”As I read this, I am wearing a dress made of bright orange (with a little bit of green and coral-red) calico, with dark red trim. It’s only two strong colors, but I think the orange almost amounts to a color and a half by itself. It’s right up there with hunting vests. I wore it to the mall last week to pick up my new glasses. I suppose i should have been embarrassed, but I wasn’t.

Apytiksliai June 29, 2008 at 10:10 am
gobogirl June 29, 2008 at 11:14 am

I smile at Dads…they seem to need the support sometimes. I like smiling at grouchy people best, either cheer them up or piss them off Yes there is M&M fabric out there, I think I even have some….

Jessica June 29, 2008 at 12:24 pm

I smile when my son wears the pants he and I made together. He chose the fabric. His Daddy hates them (privately) but I let him wear them to church if he wants.http://www.flickr.com/photos/25941017@N08/2548516963/

lucitebox June 29, 2008 at 2:32 pm

Does this count? I wave gleefully at people who have no business honking their car horn at me when I’m on my bike in THE BIKE LANE. I smile at all dogs for sure! I smile whenever I read The Manolo. I smile when things are growing well in my garden.I smile when I look in the mirror and my hair’s all messed up and greasy and I realize I just don’t have time to care. I smile when my mom talks to a stranger at any store or any public establishment as if she’s known the person for years. And I can’t help but smile when people ask her for help when we’re in a store. I smile when I watch 30Rock and when I listen to Wait, Wait. Don’t Tell Me.I always smile at the kids in my neighborhood — especially the boy who runs a lemonade stand. He’s trying to save up enough money for an iPhone. He’s about 9 years old.I smile at anyone who’s wearing good vintage fashions.

Anonymous June 29, 2008 at 3:00 pm

I smile at moms who are nursing in public, and sometimes give them a thumbs up and a “way to go mom!”, on the same theory as the above-mentioned veiled women and gay couples, who also get a smile. I always tell strangers if I like their outfit or an item of their clothing or jewelry, especially if they’re not skinny.

marty June 29, 2008 at 5:28 pm

Being raised & living in the South, a smile comes naturally to my face even if I’m sad or upset. It’s just a thing that happens. To me, it’s a feel good even if I’m not feeling good.

Anonymous June 29, 2008 at 7:05 pm

I smiled when I saw the featured pattern. My grandmother had a dress exactly like view A. My mother may have made it for her.

Eirlys June 30, 2008 at 4:50 pm

Ah, Marie, I’m touched! People called “Eirlys” really do need to be smiled at, trust me (I’m a fifth child, and my father had run out of the slightly more approachable Welsh names – can’t you tell?).Oh, forgot to mention smiling at b-feeding mothers too (of course! I’ve even toyed with the idea of having business-sized cards printed up with encouraging “keep up the good work!” type messages on them – such an important job). And I should also mention this blog – http://wordlust.blogspot.com/ – as I’m on the record there as smiling at that too.

Jen ~ MOMSPatterns June 30, 2008 at 7:28 pm

So, may I ask.. how is your name pronounced? ‘Air-leese’ is how I imagine it.. It really is lovely !AH the many times I was out in public trying to be discreet with a BABY BLANKET thown over my shoulder and having LITTLE TINY FEET hanging out the other side.. only to have said blanket LIFTED so someone could see what was going on under there. Could I not BE any more obvious? lol Still yes.. a smiling moment.

Anonymous June 30, 2008 at 9:29 pm

OMG !!! I thought the lifting the blanket thing was only in PA Hello try asking first!!

Jen ~ MOMSPatterns July 1, 2008 at 7:54 am

hahaha nope, alive & kickin’ habit in Florida as well!

La BellaDonna July 1, 2008 at 11:32 am

San Antonio Sue, it’s possible that the Nipons reduced their pattern line (or, um, lost the contract) when Albert went to jail.I always smile at: kitties. My day is better when I get to say “Hi!” to random kitties.

LuvLee July 2, 2008 at 4:13 pm

I smile and make eye contact with:-Every sales clerk I come across-Men who open the door for others-I’m afraid of children so I don’t smile at them and terrified of babies so they don’t get smiles-Dogs (along with a “hello baby and some good scratching)-Cranky Old Women and Men yelling in thrift stores because I love the entertainment and they are encouraged to continue-My Hubby as much as possible. It helps him forget how awful I am to live with.I also try t include gracious “Thank yous” as much as it is applicable.This was fun! Do it again!