Ridiculous(ly Expensive) Shoes

by Erin on July 21, 2008

Prada rickrack sandals

I saw these shoes in a shop window a month or so ago, and they looked so cute. Then I saw them on the street, on a real person, and they were even cuter. So I went into the shop (Prada, a place where I don't remember ever going into before — what would be the point?), took this surreptitious picture, and am now posting it. I would link to them but I can't find an online seller.

They caught my eye, of course, because they are RICK-RACK SANDALS, and as such, absolutely gorgeous. They're also $495, which puts them WAY out of my budget (that is, if my budget were at the Equator, this pair of shoes would be at Alpha Centauri) which is sad.

My hope is that I can outlast everyone else — in six months, these shoes will be "so last-season," whereas my love for rick-rack knows no season. There will be pairs going begging, and I will snap them up, preferably on eBay. At least, that's my fantasy.

There's also a high-heel version, but I didn't bother taking a picture of those. (I was terrified of the salesladies, frankly.)

(If you look at the reflection in the chrome edging of the table, you can see my stripey seersucker dress. I'll try and post about that dress towards the end of the week.)

Ladygrande (Texas Marie) July 21, 2008 at 4:55 pm

Love the “rick-rack” shoes. Just wait a month or so, **Pay**Less** will have a version on their shelves. And you can have them next summer!

Gladys July 21, 2008 at 5:13 pm

I’d love to see the high heel version, because these are too cute! Good luck finding them at the right price!

sarah July 21, 2008 at 5:18 pm

I found the high heels online, but check these out: the two tone high heels! A little….eek! for me I think. Oh my gosh, the wavy pumps are so cute, though!!Google “prada wavy” and you can find every version out there, it looks like.

Cel Petro July 21, 2008 at 5:18 pm

ric rac seems to put itself in your path, have ya noticed?

Nancy (nanflan) July 21, 2008 at 5:40 pm

Wow, those are fabulous. I’d have to go with one of the heeled versions though (in my dreams! I couldn’t think of buying shoes that expensive).

christy July 21, 2008 at 6:04 pm

wait a little, somebody will make a similar one and you can snap them up!

Lisa @ the Vintage Fashion Library July 21, 2008 at 6:37 pm

I love love love those wavy pumps! I’ll bet those salesladies would freak me out too.

Cookie July 21, 2008 at 6:42 pm

Okay, since we’re talking about shoes, perhaps this is a good day to come OUT OF THE CLOSET here and identify myself as a drag queen. Here’s my real pic! (Well, somewhat retouched, and about 15 lbs. ago, but me nonetheless.) I wasn’t sure how everyone here would react to a guy on a sewing site…but you all seem very cool, so this is me. But, as to shoes: I buy all my shoes in thrift shops, because I only wear vintage styles for drag. (I actually buy my boy loafers in thrift stores, too…someone always seems to have bought or been gifted with the wrong size and has donates them.) My favorite style is something that I think went out of production…Hi-Lifes? They might have been made by Payless (!) They were a 1940′s style open-toed fabric shoe with a 3 inch heel that was good with practically everything! I have them in beige and black, though both pairs are now sadly falling apart, I wore them so much. A lot of the heels I buy I just have to wear to a photo shoot or an audition (2 hours max) so they don’t really have to be my size. So most of my shoes are too small! Another pair of PERFECT heels I have were made by Ralph Lauren probably 10 years ago (at least) I wear a lot of simple black pumps with a stiletto heel (3 3/4″ seems to be the perfect height) and there’s always some pair of those lying around in a thrift store, somewhere. The most comfortable pair I ever bought were my first drag shoes, 15 years ago. They were cheaply made, but I got them resoled 3 times before they officially died. I love this site; hope you can all live with the real Cookie :)

Anonymous July 21, 2008 at 7:36 pm

Cookie, as far as I’m concerned, you’re not only welcome, but bring a wonderful, unique perspective that I’m sure we all value. (Plus, that’s a lovely photo!)-Sandra

lorrwill July 21, 2008 at 8:29 pm

I still love you Cookie. You are hecka funny and I love reading your posts. Besides I live about a wink from San Francisco. The whole cross dressing thing is a non-issue here.And lol: I am working on those sneaky 15 pounds that somehow ended up on me, too.As to the rick rack shoes and the Prada price tag…I sure wish I could make shoes and stuff like this is exactly why.

Dr. Julie~ Grandma's Sewing Cabinet July 21, 2008 at 8:35 pm

Cookie! Not want you around?! No way! I love drag queens. They are the ones who taught me how to be a lady (since my mother never did). I mean, who else has studied femininity as much as a drag queen??Please don’t go away!Julie

Renee July 21, 2008 at 9:03 pm

Those shoes are so adorable.loriwill:I sure wish I could make shoes – likewise! I remember growing up reading in McCalls Needlework and Crafts magazines those ads in the back for You Can Make Your Own Shoes – back in the 60s 70s. Wonder if anyone ever had success with that?

Angel - Having a Nemesis July 21, 2008 at 9:51 pm

Cookie, how could I not love someone with a love for fabric, shoes, fashion…..etcetc….that runs as deep as mine?The only intolerance here is reserved for those who have no love for patent leather. Who do they think they are anyway?

Julie The Vintage Goddess July 21, 2008 at 11:38 pm

Crazy price, super cute shoes.

Zoltar Panaflex July 22, 2008 at 12:13 am

All hail the trickle-down fashion theory.$495 is patently (sorry) ridiculous for sandals. I have paid close to that for a pair of unbelievably amazing loafers (leopard pony fur with a jeweled buckle), but that was an irresistible once-a-year compulsion.Look for the same shoe, but it’s late in the season for a more affordable brand to come out with them.

oonaballoona July 22, 2008 at 12:13 am

CRAIGSLIST, BABY. as you know from your tar-get purse, everything ends up on craigslist.or, discount shoes + michael’s rickrack= pradaness. those prada peeps are horrifying. i once tried to exchange a gift, bought by a CBS executive (with signed freaking card and original packaging, godsakes), and they treated me like i just busted out of sing-sing, prada bag in hand.

What-I-Found July 22, 2008 at 12:22 am

Just wanted to say You Go Cookie!

Anonymous July 22, 2008 at 1:36 am

Ok these are expensive and the dollar low not to forget. But in general I am always astonished how lowpriced Prada shoes are in comparison to their competitors. Not cheap yes, but I have seen some for under 200 (full price), I was really tempted, since they where really cute.

Fiona July 22, 2008 at 2:41 am

I just wanted to tell Erin that my children now say to me “Mummy, why are you obsessed with sewing” when we are out anywhere (I am known for my loathing of clothes shopping and see dressing as a necessary evil). I’m just back from Rome where I looked in every shop window and had to be dragged out of fabric shops. The advantage for people in places which have warm summers (ie not Scotland, a high of 73, once every three weeks if we’re lucky!) is that you get to dress in just one layer, so it’s possible to look chic without having a ruck-sack full of cardigans and waterproofs on your back. Lucky things! And I love the Prada shoes. Which is something, coz I never looked at shoes before either!

Little Hunting Creek July 22, 2008 at 6:27 am

If I would ever pay that much for sandals I would so buy those. Rick Rack shoes! Who knew that they even made them? Perhaps rick rack is about to be a new Italian designer IT item? Erin, they are COPYING you!

Leamonteach July 22, 2008 at 7:24 am

I think it’s funny that someone else is intimidated by the saleswarriors in those ultra chic places! Nothing like walking into a place by mistake and then realizing, “I could afford maybe a KLEENEX in this store!” and trying to sneak out without attracting attention. . . There is much to regret about “Pretty Woman” but the revenge on the snotty salespeople part is priceless!

La BellaDonna July 22, 2008 at 7:29 am

Cookie, it’s just one more reason to be glad you sew!Erin, I think all you have to do is give it a couple of months. Steve Madden, and a few others, will probably be creating much more affordable versions. In the meantime, you can console yourself with a pair of more ordinary sandals, rickrack, and a hot glue gun!Fabricgirl, was that the Mary Loomis book, by any chance? I think it got left behind in a move, but it offered pretty easy instructions, as I recall.Oonaballoona, did you get to make your exchange, regardless? I’m always astonished by stories of haughty sales-help; in theory, at least, they’re being paid to help.

Theresa July 22, 2008 at 7:55 am

Cookie – I was SO CONVINCED you were a woman. I love your reall picture. I think you are funny, and creative and I wish I new you in the real world. Digging the rick rack shoes — no so much the price.Looking forward to the seersucker dress post. Theresaaka Velvet Plaza (Sewing Conspiracy, Frock Republican Army, Drag Queen Name.) If I were a man I would be a drag queen.

Erin July 22, 2008 at 8:22 am

Cookie, you’re awesome! I’m so happy you’re here with us (and I’m so proud of everyone else for being so welcoming)!

Jen ~ MOMSPatterns July 22, 2008 at 8:34 am

Cookie! One more reason to love you.. Ive REALLY been enjoying your posts and glad *I* have been talking round here more often is BECAUSE I am lovin your banter. You are cooler than cool and drop dead gawgeous. Thank you for feeling comfortable enough with us all to share more of your world with us!OK NOTHING I put on my feet and walk the streets with is EVER going to cost me more than $10. I also love thrifting for shoes, much to my husbands chagrin (because my closet is getting very Imelda Marcos-ish). Id rather be seen in unusual and unique shoes that NOBODY else has than wear something everyone else in the world is wearing. Same for handbags. I just dont get the whole designer, huge suitcase looking bags (but I dont carry a lot around, either) nor the mega expensive shoes that youre going to just scuff dirty the bottoms of, and fret about because they were so expensive. Erin, you found your Yellow Bag Holy Grail on ebay.. I send you good vibes to find these shoes there soon, too! Fashion Season ins outs and dos and donts.. who needs em! hahaha

Jen ~ MOMSPatterns July 22, 2008 at 8:36 am

This made no sense at all. “I’ve REALLY been enjoying your posts and glad *I* have been talking ’round here more often is BECAUSE I am lovin’ your banter”Should have been:I’ve REALLY been enjoying your posts and one main reason *I* have been talking ’round here more often is BECAUSE I am lovin’ your banter.Pardon my poor grammar!

Anonymous July 22, 2008 at 8:50 am

I remember the make your own shoes book. Being from a family of engineers, I have a compulsion for knowing “how they do that.” There were instructions in that book for every stage of the process. The thing that I remember most is that heel forms and the metal arch brace were canibalized from old shoes. Don’t ask why I remember that.Amy

San Antonio Sue July 22, 2008 at 8:51 am

I love ALL of you, and rick-rack shoes!

Lydia July 22, 2008 at 8:53 am

Is it showing too much of my soft underbelly to say that I find $500 for a pair of shoes absolutely obscene when I have friends who have to scrape for the money to buy their kids enough food?Bah.The fashion industry can bite me.

lucitebox July 22, 2008 at 9:07 am

Cookie! Hi! I really enjoy your comments. I don’t always comment, but I had to say that it’s great that you’re posting here. The community of Dress a Day fans is a very special one, don’tcha think?As for the shoes–SWOON! As for the price tag–YEOUCH! That’s insane. I mean, I love the things. My only expensive shoes I ever bought were Miu Miu and yes, they were knocked-off not long after I shelled out three C notes for them. (Stupid, stupid, stupid.) The sad truth for me is that sometimes shoes with a horizontal ankle strap give me “cankles” (aka–ankles that look like calves–so not attractive.) Holly

Theresa July 22, 2008 at 9:39 am

We need to have a dress a day convention so we a can all meet.

Kathleen July 22, 2008 at 10:01 am

Cookie,Ive personally never understood why anyone would care whether someone else was red, blue, green, gay, a cross-dresser, drag queen or whatever. As long as everyone is courteous respectful, what difference could it possibly make? I/we enjoy your creative input. Period.ADAD conference would be mightily interesting, indeed.Cheers All!

Kim July 22, 2008 at 10:06 am

Oh no, rick rack shoes? Ugh. Why did you have to show me these? The are SOOO cute that I’m crying at the price! Is there anything cuter than rick rack? I’ll be dreaming of these shoes with you…

Kristen July 22, 2008 at 10:20 am

great shoes! i love that you went all ‘secret agent man’ to get the pic for us! i would say ‘go prada’ if it weren’t for the highway robbery factor.

tea July 22, 2008 at 10:43 am

Problem solved: mohop shoes. You buy the base and add your own ribbon (or giant rickrack) to create the sandal part.Also, this woman gives a tutorial on making your own shoes.And Cookie: You go, girl! Thank you for bringing a higher level of fabulousness to us.

elke July 22, 2008 at 10:44 am

“I think it’s funny that someone else is intimidated by the saleswarriors in those ultra chic places! ” Thanks to leamonteach for the technical term. May I recommend taking a man (preferably geeky) along? Back in the early ’70s, DH and I were shopping in a snooty part of Toronto. He saw a casual jacket – windbreaker/golf type- in the window of Chez Catherine, and went in to ask the price. (I wouldn’t have gone in at all.) The expensive blonde said “It’s $135.00. Is that all right?” He sputtered, “No, it isn’t all right!”, and we left, never to darken their door again.

Renee July 22, 2008 at 11:12 am

Tea: thanks a bunch for the link to the Mary Loomis book site! I may well end up taking on yet another hobby.

Wendy July 22, 2008 at 11:51 am

I sincerely hope affordable knock-offs come along soon for you, Erin! The shoes are too cute, and a pair of shoes I love can make me smile for a long time.In 1967, I found a mod dress I loved at Paraphernalia, and a pair of mod, square toe, flat shoes, with a strap and toe cleavage. I smiled all summer long. Other favorite clothes and shoes and bags have come and gone since then, but I’ll never forget how happy that outfit made me. Until someone stole the dress off the clothesline, sigh. But a friend helped me get it back from the thief, and I was happy again.

propriatress July 22, 2008 at 12:20 pm

Shoes !! wearing dresses and underwear are only an excuse to buy more shoes!! it’s always about the shoes.and cookie..I’m just impressed that you actually work in a law office…and like to sew…I only fulfilled one aspiration.

Theresa July 22, 2008 at 12:35 pm
BJ July 22, 2008 at 1:20 pm

Those shoes don’t got any arch support, honey.

belphebe July 22, 2008 at 1:34 pm

tea, thanks for the link to Mohop shoes, but I’m not sure I’m willing to pay $195 Canadian for them! Still, you can customize them in so many ways, that it would be like buying several pairs of shoes. I’ll have to think about it.I bought the Mary Loomis book, but I have yet to try her methods. I think I would need someone to help me when it comes time to make the mold of my foot.The biggest disappointment/problem with the book is the fact that you have to canibalize existing shoes for the soles. I was hoping for information on making a shoe from scratch, and how to find “shoe findings” so I could make a well-fitting dress shoe or pump with some arch support.

Cookie July 22, 2008 at 2:35 pm

I am very touched that you all are so supportive and welcoming! Even though I’ve lived in big cities since college onward, there’s always that sneaky little feeling inside that new people will be nasty and judgmental. Dressaday has brought a lot of fun to my life in the last few months, and inspired me to get out of my office cubicle and buy a sewing machine, fabric, vintage patterns, some old sewing books and even look into converting the little dressing room off my bedroom into a full-on sewing room :) I have such a great love for vintage clothing and styles, and all their fellow enthusiasts. Basically, I’m coming to thing that CREATIVITY is the opposite of INERTIA. While I’ll miss my pics of my breezy Jackie O. Beach Lady and the little blonde Ponytail Girl I’ve put with my posts, I guess the real pic of me is here to stay! (Though the drag queen in me wishes I could make it BIGGER!) Thanks again for being so neat!!! Talk to you soon! (PS: That pic was taken by George Hurrell’s old darkroom assistant, using the same lense, etc., he used to use on Joan Crawford and Norma Shearer. When that job happened, I was like, “Okay, I can retire now. I have the type of picture that was in all those glamour coffee table books that brought me to Hollywood in the first place!”)

Lisa Simeone July 22, 2008 at 3:35 pm

Wow, I was just going to comment about the shoes (cute, but waaaaay overpriced, and, frankly, made of cardboard overlaid with leather, so no support and no padding — death to your feet), but then I saw Cookie’s comments/pic and gasped: George Hurrell’s assistant??! I’m speechless. I bow to your utter fabulousness and obvious affinity for artistry. There is no glam like Old Hollywood Glam.

Anonymous July 22, 2008 at 3:44 pm

Cookie, I could eat you up!!Okay, since Cookie has come out of the closet, I might as well too: I’m an atheist. (Try saying THAT at a cocktail party and see just how fast the martini glasses stop clinking.)Anyway, yay for the fabulous Cookie! I think anyone who loves dresses is welcome in Erin’s fabulous salon, non? Frankly, I’d love to see more guys post here (regardless of whether they wear dresses or just admire them). I think the more perspectives we have, the merrier. And more men should get into sewing!Having said that, though, Cookie, should I EVER run into you in the shoe section of a vintage shop or Nordstrom rack, I will wrestle you to the ground for a pair of cool size 10 or 11 pumps. A warning: I will show no mercy! It’s hard enough for us Lady Bigfoots as it is without having to compete with drag queens for footwear.elke-I laughed so hard, I wet myself with your story. Unrelated to sewing, but your story triggered a memory of my geeky ex husband. For fun he and I used to go to open houses for million dollar estates. (The charade was his idea.) We’d get the whole tour and he would mention how we needed lots of room to entertain and make it seem to the realtor like we lived a lavish lifestyle. We’d oooo and ahhh over the patio, the pool, the big dining room. “We love entertaining!” We would also point out all the flaws in any remodeling. Then toward the end of the tour he’d turn to me and say very seriously, “You know honey, I don’t think this place is big enough for us.” And off we’d go. (Sometimes he’d end the ruse with “This place is a dump! You deserve better honey!”) Probably one of the highlights of our otherwise lousy marriage. ;)

Cookie July 22, 2008 at 3:51 pm

Thanks! Yes, his name is Mark A. Vieira and he’s written some absolutely GREAT books about portrait photography in the Golden Age. He assisted Hurrell, and is now in charge of the photographer’s official archives. When collectors order a print, he will be the one who prints it off the old 8X10 negatives, etc. He works out of the historic Granada Building, which is where Hurrell had his studio in the 1930′s. The fascinating thing is Mr. Vieira uses the old methods, such as retouching the huge oversized negatives (NOT the print) directly, rubbing lead on them, I believe, and adding highlights with different, archaic methods. The surprising thing about the photo session, to me, was that the older cameras, the indirect lighting and that size negative all require you to hold the pose for a few seconds’ exposure time…which actually feels like a strained eternity to the way we take pictures now. I think that’s part of what can give some of the images a slight gauzy quality…that the subject really can’t hold completely still for that time unless they’re highly trained (and who is, or was?) It was a REALLY interesting experience!

Lisa Simeone July 22, 2008 at 3:57 pm

Okay, I’ve just added Vieira’s SIN IN SOFT FOCUS: PRE-CODE HOLLYWOOD to my Amazon WishList. I already have collections of Hurrell’s photographs in other books, but didn’t know anything about Vieira until you just told me. These photographs are ravishing.

Lisa Simeone July 22, 2008 at 4:06 pm

My all-time favorite of Hurrell’s photographs of Joan Crawford is that one where she’s wearing almost no make-up, you can see her freckles, and she looks so beautiful and so un-Crawford-vulnerable, it’s just breathtaking.

Anonymous July 22, 2008 at 4:14 pm

A DAD convention would be great but dont think Ill be traveling anytime soon to the mid-west as it would have to be held in Erins home base! Besides, then Id have to actually get out of my jeans t-shirts and, gasp, WEAR A DRESS/SKIRT – OMG!!! So, in the theme of coming out of the closet – I am a dyed in the wool jeans wearing only own one dress kinda person. That one dress? Yep, its my wedding dress – a size 12 made by me and my mom 30+ years ago! Given that, I read Dress a Day regularly and enjoy Erins stories and posts as well as everyones comments.Thanks all for a great community and a break from the work-day world! Thanks Erin for a great website and hosting such a community.Teresa

Cookie July 22, 2008 at 4:41 pm

I commend the Atheist and the I-Only-Wear-Jeans babes for stepping out of the dark forest of secrecy and into the moonlit clearing of dressaday. You are brave, and ACCEPTED, souls!About Joan Crawford: There are three Hurrell images of her I like particularly, out of the thousands they created together.This pic is beautiful, and was shot in her home. It shows how lovely she really could be with a minimum of makeup (and a good photographer!) Ironically, this was taken around the time her long time employer, MGM, was thinking she was over the hill in her late thirties, (!) and dropped her. I think she was looking her BEST in that period, and she went on to even greater success as she moved on to Warner Brothers Studio. http://www.joancrawfordbest.com/41hurrellgoddess.htmThen this one was used in the window of Hurrell’s first private studio away from MGM. She did it for publicity for him, as a favor. You can really study her superb bone structure here, which is something you ultimately cannot get away with faking for very long. (There’s actually a slightly different shot from this same session that I like even better, where she’s looking directly into the camera…but I can’t locate it on the web! You can find it in Bob Thomas’ biography on her, which still seems to be the fairest and best researched book on her life, at this point.) http://www.joancrawfordbest.com/41joanhurrell.htmFinally, this is an earlier pic, I believe from the 1930′s. I think the composition and contrast are really exciting, and Crawford looks damn SEXY!! http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3345913856/nm0001076

CatMacGregor July 22, 2008 at 5:26 pm

I don’t know if I learned about it from Erin (goddess of all knowledge quirky and not saving you on an island) but there’s a website where you can rent high end stuff. Never used it myself but it’s there.http://www.bagborroworsteal.com

Cookie July 22, 2008 at 5:36 pm

As to rented High End Stuff: If you’re in L.A. and get invited to the Oscars or some such nightmare, you can rent some of Bob Mackie’s stuff (like his beaded dresses that Sharon Stone wore in Casino) from his commercial costume house. I don’t have a link, but you could search for his business on the web.

Anonymous July 22, 2008 at 6:07 pm

In the spirit of opening closet doors -you know what stops martini glasses form clinking faster than being an atheist? Tell them are a witch. (Wiccan) Oh, and live in the deep south. I can’t tell you how many people have tried to save my soul or damn me to hell!

Cookie July 22, 2008 at 6:30 pm

Wow….Wiccan Intolerance! As I get older, I sort of appreciate the old policy of Not Discussing Religion or Politics. I guess it was just put in place as a major time saver! Because hardly anyone agrees on ANYTHING! I do think that’s gradually changing, though. We’re lucky to live when we do, when anyone who doesn’t agree with the majority rule isn’t just automatically tossed on the fire :)

Anonymous July 22, 2008 at 7:25 pm

I’d pay $500 for a pair of shoes if they were custom made just for my odd shaped duck feet, if they were a really timeless style, and if I were sure I’d wear them for years. It would probably save me money in the long run, as I tend to buy shoes that seem to fit okay in the store, only to get a major blister or a lot of toe pinching. How many shoes have I given away over the years after wearing them only two or three times? More than $500 dollars worth, I’m sure.

Theresa July 22, 2008 at 8:07 pm

i usually keep being a Wiccan to myself but here in the good ole, still have the confederate flag on the state house grounds, SC, people just keep pushing the issue. They are always wanting you to to their church and finally I just have to say I don’t and subscribe to their brand of religon. they’ll keep pushing and I say, “please, drop it. i’m wiccan.” they totally freak out. A lot say they are “going to pray for me.” they don’t like it when I tell them I’ll pray for them too. Others can’t understand why my catholic husband married me and are sure he is going to hell as well. Ridiculous!

lorrwill July 22, 2008 at 9:31 pm

About shoemaking:belphebe I totally agree! It took me HOURS to get one pair of cheapo Payless plastic shoes apart to make my lasts. I also spent at least 48 hours (not contiguously) looking for shoe findings both on the Internet and asking in local shoe repair places. Rumor has it Saderma Leather Shoe in Los Angeles is the place to try but I have not yet; my pennies and shoe making inspiration havent aligned just yet.fabricgirl, I remember the 60s/70s shoes books were almost always, exclusively some fugly excuse for a moccasin. No arch support, etc, some reenactment looking things. Nothing you would wear to work for sure.Oh yeah while were outing ourselves: yes a Pagan here too. I never tell anyone that anymore. It tends to make life worse, not better. But you lot, I trust.Cookie I so love Hollywood golden era, glamor days stuff! Thanks for sharing all that. Sigh, another book on my Amazon wish list…

Lisa Simeone July 22, 2008 at 9:35 pm

Cookie,Oh, yes, that last one of Crawford you posted — I have that in one of my books — SO GORGEOUS! She looks amazing in it. A lot of people, especially the young’uns who only know her from camp classics, don’t realize what a stunning woman she was. And of course she had one of the greatest lines in film history in her turn as Crystal Allen in THE WOMEN:”Thanks for the tip. But when anything I wear doesn’t please Stephen, I take it off.”

Ivy Frozen July 22, 2008 at 10:52 pm

Speaking of rick rack, I have some black rick that I just don’t know what to do with. I was wondering if anyone had any rick rack inspiration for me, perhaps dresses you’ve sewn. I know you love rick rack, and unfortunately my mind’s too wrapped around ruffles at the moment to comprehend the wonders of rick rack.Thanks!Ivy Frozen

Anonymous July 22, 2008 at 11:41 pm

Count another atheist here. And I totally support the idea of a meeting! I live in Vegas; everyone should come here!-Sandra

Anonymous July 23, 2008 at 12:26 am

Pagans and atheist who love dresses? Back when I was young these types stuck to strictly polyester pantsuits. (With pull-on pants, natch.) How times have changed.Cookie, I just read your bio. Girl, are you auditioning for any game shows? I’d love to see you on Deal or No Deal. Also, are you a muse to David E. Kelley? ‘Cause The Practice has been running a story line that seems to mimic your life. Can you tell us what you wear to your day job? The character on The Practice switches it out (suit or dress) depending on his mood. His co-workers seem to take it all in stride.I’d like to point out that nobody seems to have a problem with calling these shoes “ridiculously expensive” or “obscenely priced.” Yet they too are 3 or 4 times over the cost of regular/normal retail shoes. Same as the lovely pattern on the post below.Nobody is chastising anybody about the effort that goes into these shoes. Could it be that people are comfortable bitching about something that’s sold by “a company” rather than a “little independent pattern seller”? There certainly seems to be a double standard. I mean, I’m sure Miuccia has to get up very early in the morning too.

Cookie July 23, 2008 at 12:50 am

Anonymous: my life isn’t terribly dressy or glamorous very often. And it’s hot under all that makeup and a wig and nylons, tight clothing and about 50 pounds of jewelry, etc. I dress in boy clothes most times (cutoffs and polo shirts at home, khakis and oxfords at work) but then dress up for auditions or jobs, or some fun social events. I also dress in very conservative drag for local political rallies and events, sort of a Jackie O/Camelot look, protesting the demolition of our local historic architecture in Hollywood. That’s good for getting press and crowd participation. I just did a job last week where I was a 1940′s Big Band singer, and I rewatched New York, New York to see how Liza Minelli stood behind a vintage microphone, etc. (I’m not a celebrity impersonator, I just knew there’s a lot of bandstand songs in that movie, performed live. PS: She’s great at it! And the 1940′s clothes are great.)

jasun July 23, 2008 at 5:25 am

The shoes simply don’t seem to have a price-correlating amount of effort put into them. I would imagine that they also are far less of a rare find.And $500 is much more than $75!

Theresa July 23, 2008 at 6:52 am

Polyester pull on pants?! Goddess forbid!I’ll stick to dresses. Cotton, wool, jersey knit or silk please.

Lisa Simeone July 23, 2008 at 7:48 am

Yeah, no comparison between $500 Prada shoes and $75 vintage pattern. And let’s be honest about this — the Prada shoes were most likely made in a sweatshop in China or southeast Asia. Yes, I know that most of everything we buy now, clothing included, is made in sweatshops, and I understand the history of sweatshops in general — my immigrant grandmother worked in one — so I’m not trying to get into a discussion of that. I’m just pointing out that the reason many of us are objecting to the price is, I believe, because we recognize that we’re not talking about quality here, we’re talking about brand. And the cachet that supposedly goes along with that brand. I’m all for spending whatever you can afford to spend — that’s people’s own personal business — just opining that these shoes are made no better than a lot of the stuff you can pick up at Target and Payless, though I realize that notion doesn’t sit well with the wealthy fashionista crowd (heck, my in-laws go nuts over Louis Vuitton bags, which I think is hilarious, not only because to my eye they’re ugly, but because they’re not even leather — they’re mostly canvas. $495 for a cotton canvas bag?? That’s not about the quality; it’s about the name.)

Theresa July 23, 2008 at 7:54 am

As a person with very wide feet. (6-1/2 extra wide) I have to say you do in some cases “get what you pay for” I can buy $10 shoes at Payless that say they are wide. And have my feet hurt. Or I can pay $65 and up for Naturalizer, or someother well-made brand name and have my fett not hurt. But $500 shoes? IF they fit like a glove and feel like I’m walking on baby ducks – you betcha!

Lisa Simeone July 23, 2008 at 8:12 am

Theresa, I have permanent foot injuries, so I can wear only orthopedic shoes, and then only ones that have been specially fitted for me by a pedorthist. It sure makes buying shoes easier! I can look and drool over “normal” shoes but can’t wear them. Luckily, there are a few companies that make decent, not-hideous orthopedic shoes. So I understand all about quality and expense. I can’t buy anything under $150, and that’s the low end of the scale.

Kathleen July 23, 2008 at 8:43 am

Frozen Ivy-I picture black rickrack peaking out of a seam on a grey wool or wool jersey serious dress, giving it life humour.Blessed be.

Theresa July 23, 2008 at 8:53 am

Frozen Ivy – what if if you edges the ruffles in the ric rac?

Anonymous July 23, 2008 at 10:02 am

I scored a pair of once-worn (to a wedding) Prada pumps off e-bay for a mere $100. They were perfect and new and beautiful and amazingly comfy and soooo pretty! They belonged to the first wave of the Prada color-fade trend (it started about three years ago?) and they were bronze at the toe and purple at the heel, surprisingly subtle, wearable, unusual, and fun. I loved them and wore them until they fell apart, then repaired them and wore them until they fell apart again. Don’t give up the dream! You CAN score last-season Prada shoes for a bargain, and you will. -Negative Nancy

Anonymous July 23, 2008 at 11:18 am

Ah the justification! You can still buy a beautiful well made leather shoe for $150, a third of this Prada shoe. The infamous $75 pattern is a third of a the cost of a vogue designer pattern. Yet it’s okay to complain about the price of the shoe and not the pattern. I’d say the shoe is a better value and less likely to be a rip-off. For starters, you can wear the shoe several times a week.

Anonymous July 23, 2008 at 11:28 am

Also, better proof of which one is “overpriced” is how quickly they sell.

Chantelle July 23, 2008 at 9:40 pm

I thought that there might have been some other rick-rack shoes on Zappos. Good luck hunting for them.Welcome, cookie! I can’t imagine anyone not wanting you here – your love of clothes, shoes, and fabrics are a welcome addition to the comments here :) I would love love love love love a DAD get-together. I’m up in Waterloo, Ontario but would be willing to travel.

SweetPeaknits July 24, 2008 at 6:07 am

Think I would love the high heeled version! p.s. love your blog!

Couture de Papier July 24, 2008 at 7:13 am

I love to alter shoes but would not touch those! I always wanted to be a fashion designer and now I am altering vintage high heels..love your blog wish I was that organized!Denise Nantasket Beach, Mass.

Lisa Simeone July 24, 2008 at 8:19 am

Ms. Couture de papier, I just checked out your stuff on Etsy. Wow. Really beautiful and creative.

Eirlys July 24, 2008 at 8:58 am

Wow, Cookie, that was a real surprise! But you’re a fully paid-up member of the International Sewing Conspiracy now, whatever your gender (virtual or otherwise), so there’s no possibility of you wriggling out of DaD now. But seriously, lovely to have you here – you’re like a sister.Think I’m suffering slightly from closet-emerging envy. My confession is probably going to be the straw that breaks the DaD back. OK, here goes. I attempt to practise religion, but am still not very good. For the average media-savvy, aspirational Brit this is a bit like saying you still believe in the tooth fairy and have blancmange where your pre-frontal cortex should be. I come from a long line of non-conformists (English Quakers and German Lutherans) who fled to PA several hundred years ago to get away from intolerance and the nastiness of bigger, established religions. So I really do have a bit of a problem with religious orthodoxy. But… for reasons that are too protracted to go into here, I figured I’d give it a try, and have been a regular Anglican congregant for about 5 years. I even sing in the choir! – and not very well, so that’s twice as bad. OK, that’s enough of the revelations from me. Who wants to chase me outta town in my choir robes? Love those shoes, Erin, but wouldn’t be able to afford them either. You’d better get that eBay search set up pronto!PS Cookie, there’s a shop near me specializing in women’s shoes size 8 and up (too big for me) – new ones, that is. Will now keep an eye open for any sales – you never know. What’s your size?PPS Have you seen ‘Kinky Boots’? 2005 film (by the makers of ‘Calendar Girls’) based on a true story about a Northamptonshire men’s footwear factory (my husband’s grandmother worked in just such a one) which turned around its losses by producing transvestite boots. Thus were the family business and local jobs saved. Clip here:http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0434124/trailers-screenplay-vi1318125849(the old lady at the end sums up our views on the spectacular Cookie, huh folks?) And here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_shp6h0gmRw

Eirlys July 24, 2008 at 9:56 am

I’ll be in NY late October. If someone can organise a DAD convention to coincide, that would be great!

Theresa July 24, 2008 at 10:43 am

We really need to have a ADAD convention

Anna July 24, 2008 at 11:09 am

The latest issue of CRAFT magazine is all about shoes! Making them, modifying, etc. There’s also an article about the person that started Mohop.http://craftzine.com/magazine/

Serg Riva July 24, 2008 at 6:43 pm

love your blog

Cookie July 29, 2008 at 3:28 pm

“Kinky Boots” is a great movie! Love it! I think it’s great you go to church…some of them are really about community connection, which is something we ALL need! Plus, you get to put on your Sunday Best, even an Easter Bonnet if you’re so inclined. As long as they stick with basic golden rules, I like churches/temples/etc.

Fashion Chalet August 2, 2008 at 2:44 pm

Your blog is such a fun read. ^_^ And I love the name.

flower girl dress December 12, 2008 at 3:17 am

Thanks for bringing this to my attention – Ive reviewed it myself now. A very enjoyable read.