What? Is it Linktastic Friday Already?

by Erin on August 15, 2008

It surely is, and probably way overdue. First off, Holly at LuciteBox would really, really, really like your help in finding her this:

Serbin dog-print dress

It was originally listed on eBay (by Red Buckaroo, but not in Holly's size. (You see the problem.) If you want to see a part of why Holly wants it so much, click through to her blog to see her adorable dog Oslo …

Theresa sent a link to this slide show of First Ladies fashions, which is interesting not only for the pictures, but also for the evidence of the complete absence of copyediting ("shoulder-bearing" and "arm-bearing" where they should have "baring", sheesh).

Wink sent this rickrackalicious skirt … with pockets! Nadia found us shoes to not-match, and Judy suggests these. And if that's not enough rickrack for you (and how could it be?) there's this rickrack fabric, sent by T.C.

Becca thinks the brown dress in this link may be a fauxlero. Opinions? [WARNING: link plays (bad) music]

Speaking of fauxleros, Wendy pointed out that the AMC Dress at BurdaStyle has a very nice one.

Robin sent a link (inspired by the discussion of one-yard patterns) to furoshiki, the cool Japanese practice of wrapping presents in fabric. I heartily endorse this idea.

Kathleen (at Little Hunting Creek) sent a link to this really interesting semi-Duro, up at Pattern Review. Check it out!

Leslie sent in this awesome typography poster. In a similar vein, Lorrwill sends us the link to the thesaurus t-shirt.

I can't believe it's the end of August already, but Jen at MOMsPatterns.com can and she's running a back-to-school sale on 1100-1300 new old stock children's patterns. You get a 15% discount with coupon code 'backtoschool' …

Sorry it's such a short linktastic Friday … but please keep those links coming!

Theresa August 15, 2008 at 2:12 pm

Good Lord! I didn’t even notice shoulder-bearing,etc! Shame on me!And double shame on MSN!

Lee August 15, 2008 at 2:13 pm

I have the pieces cut out for that very semi-Duro (view a) in a lovely swiss dot. Someday I might even have time to sew it.

Anonymous August 15, 2008 at 2:32 pm

Those shoulders had to do some heavy bearing up I guess! The job of First Lady must not be ALL glamour as her husband counts on her strong “shoulder-bearing” capabilities to help manage the varied tasks required of the two of them.That has to be a fauxlero. It’s so short…it would get lost if the wearer took it off at any time.Teresa

Wink August 15, 2008 at 4:09 pm

I just snorted out loud at the Thesaurus shirt. Quick, get in my shopping cart (buggy, wagon)!

Anonymous August 15, 2008 at 4:25 pm

Why in heaven’s name would anyone put a big red award right on the boobage area?And is only one size worthy of award?Liz in NoWhere PA

Anonymous August 15, 2008 at 4:48 pm

OMG that Garden Party Skirt is cute! The link is messed up though – I’ll try it here:*tries* *messes up twice* *gives up*http://www.modcloth.com/store/Womens/Bottoms/Skirts/Garden+Party+Skirt

lorrwill August 15, 2008 at 5:44 pm

Yay! My link made the list and made wink snort.I am so bad about actually emailing my links. I see stuff, I think of Erin, I assume she gets enough of those emails…my bad.

kagitsune August 15, 2008 at 8:00 pm

I WILL have that Thesaurus tee-shirt. It’s the oldest joke in the grammar-queen book, yet one of the most under-rated. And to top it off, our beloved word-helper wears *braces*… x3 And less than $20? What a deal! 8D

Anonymous August 16, 2008 at 3:45 am

There’s a particular name for wrapping presents in fabric? I always thought it was just a great thing to do when you gave stuff to people who liked fabric.

Anonymous August 16, 2008 at 6:08 am

Doesn’t your American constitution give you the “right to bear arms”? Or is it the “right to bare arms”? Perhaps “the right to arm bears”? That might explain it.

jdoogan August 16, 2008 at 1:09 pm

My favorite was Nancy Reagan’s “inaugural gown worth over $10,000 and two hairdressers.” Now really, can you put a price on a good hairdresser?

jasun August 16, 2008 at 4:26 pm

I wasn’t sold on that pictured dress at all, until I noticed the pom-pom trim. I ADORE pom-pom trim. But I only know one place to get it, and the brand they stock tends to shed rather quickly. Sigh!

Rita August 16, 2008 at 6:04 pm

Noticed this in reference to Nancy Reagan; “…the wraithlike former actress…”

Eirlys August 18, 2008 at 9:50 am

Maybe celebrity dresses have an odd, weakening effect on the average writer? – like kryptonite on Superman. I went to the Travilla exhibition of Marilyn Monroe dresses yesterday (Fashion Museum, Bath, UK) and couldn’t help but drop my jaw at some of the very curious punctuation (of the random, panic type), and the shocking use of “seem” for “seam”. Will…have…to…offer-my-services-for- nothing (there, I managed to spit it out – that wasn’t so bad) as it was a shame to see these iconic numbers so let down. Apart from that, I’m tickled pink at having seen the famous bubblegum-coloured satin sheath from ‘Diamonds Are A Girl’s Best Friend’, the white ‘Seven Year Itch’ subway updraft dress, and the glorious single circle of gold lame, hand-pleated. Wowzer! Will have to sneak in again later this week, just before it closes (local residents get in FREE, girls! Move to Britain now!).

Eirlys August 18, 2008 at 10:01 am

PS The ‘Diamonds Are A Girl’s Best Friend’ sequence comes, of course, from the film ‘Gentlemen Prefer Blondes’. And the gold lame pleated number is from the same film.

shannie August 18, 2008 at 2:53 pm

Hey, I made that semi-duro. I checked the link a couple times to make sure it really was linked to my dress… and it was! I just wore it to a bridal shower yesterday. It was really comfy, but it needed pockets. Erin knows best- always add pockets.