Duro Junior, Again

by Erin on August 19, 2008

tropical Duro Jr

Whoa. That pic's a little out of focus, isn't it? Try this one:

tropical Duro Jr

Ah, well. This is another Duro Jr, made from Simplicity 3875.

This is fabric I bought ages ago, probably at Vogue Fabrics in Evanston. I actually made a skirt out of it first, and then didn't like the skirt (and perhaps sent it to my sister? Kate, you there?), but surprisingly, there was enough left to make this dress with even a smidgen to spare. (I think I might have to go through my "leftover fabric" laundry basket and see what else might be ready for the Duro Jr treament …)

The fabric has a slight pucker to it, and is ridiculously comfortable. I think the print may be a bit too much of a good thing (if I'd had a red or a pink that matched, I think I would have made the bodice bands and midriff bands in a contrasting fabric) … but again, ridiculously comfortable, and that's what I was going for. I made this (and another one, which I'll show you tomorrow) for my trip to Japan, because I had been told that the humidity in Tokyo was slightly greater than that found at the bottom of the Mariana Trench (and they were right).

Here's the back:

tropical Duro Jr

And the back waistband:

tropical Duro Jr

I have cut out one more of these (and may finish it tonight, if a particular eight-year-old cooperates in the matter of BEDTIME), but I think that may be it for the Duro Jr this summer. I had big plans to make seven or eight of these … and then the September fashion magazines arrived, with all their wools and turtlenecks, and the thought of more summer sewing seemed a bit risible. It'll be October REALLY SOON, won't it? And this is not really something you can wear a sweater over. (Nor does it seem as if it would work in corduroy.)

But as summer dresses go, man, this one is nice. (Especially once I added good deep side-seam pockets.)

Tune in tomorrow for another Duro Jr … this time in Amy Butler fabric!

Anonymous August 19, 2008 at 10:04 am

Kwiksew has similar pattern in its fall line that looks more wintry somehow. It has set in sleeves and a waist seam also, which I know you lamented the lack of for this pattern. I might make it in lightweight winter fabric.http://www.kwiksew.com/Catalog/cat_detail.cfm?pid=3634QL=MissDresscherylc

Anonymous August 19, 2008 at 10:41 am

A sweater wouldn’t go over it, but turtlenecks would look really good under it.

Lydia August 19, 2008 at 10:49 am

I’m crushing on that fabric. Glorious! Alas, I’ve had no time for wardrobe sewing this summer. It’s been All Costumes All The Time. Bah.Too bad you don’t think it would work in corduroy. Sadness! I’d love to try this pattern for fall. Wool blend, maybe? Or would that still be too bulky…

Little Hunting Creek August 19, 2008 at 10:55 am

Butterick 5031 is a Duro that could transition to fall. Plus I love the fabrics suggested: “Lightweight Cotton, Cotton Blends, Challis, Soft Faille, Matted Jersey and Voile”.I wonder what “matted jersey” is? Perhaps regular matte jersey having a bad fiber day? This pattern would look very pretty in wool gauze or wool challis for fall. I’d stay away from that crazy matted jersey though.

lorrwill August 19, 2008 at 11:04 am

I am so glad I am not the only one clinging tenaciously to summer dress sewing. Check my blog for my latest – ‘oh crap it is probably too late in the season to actually wear this but I am going to sew it anyway’.So what magazines are inspiring your fall sewing anyway?

Sarah August 19, 2008 at 11:34 am

I think this dress would be great for fall in wool jersey. I’d make it a little longer for wearing with boots, and I’d probably extend the sleeves to the elbow and narrow them at the ends – batwings, no? The fun part would be finding the right interfacing or interlining for the neckline . .. .

bonnie-ann black August 19, 2008 at 11:43 am

i love this dress and i think the design on the material and the pattern were perfect for a japan trip — it has a sort of touch of kimono about it, without looking like a slavish imitation.

Cindy August 19, 2008 at 12:32 pm

I love it…okay, you have sold me! I am cutting out tonight! pushing all else aside! cindy

Cookie August 19, 2008 at 12:37 pm

This is beautiful! It looks terribly chic and comfortable to me at the same time. Really a Dress-It-Up-Dress-It-Down dress. Having solid pink or red breaking up the pattern would have taken this aspect away and made it funkier. You could wear pearls with this and not be stodgy. Nice nice extra nice!

3KillerBs August 19, 2008 at 12:38 pm

I love it! Bold, but not loud. Of course, here in NC, I have another 6-8 weeks of 80+ daytime temperatures so I’ve only vaguely thought of fall clothes.It wants a white wrap of some kind — to fend off the over-enthusiastic air conditioning. But I can’t see it with an ordinary jacket or cardigan. A knitted shrug? ???

3KillerBs August 19, 2008 at 12:38 pm

bani August 19, 2008 at 1:07 pm

Pattern is perfect and not at all OTT, don’t be silly. Love this.

Nadine August 19, 2008 at 2:15 pm

I LOVE the print! Definitely NOT too much of a good thing – I’m pleased it has no contrast bands. Just gorgeous.

Kate August 19, 2008 at 3:03 pm

Yep! I’ve got the skirt version of this. And it is ridiculously comfortable. Also, my sister sews some pretty deep pockets. I bet I could fit several small kittens in those things. Erin, next skirt you send, pls include kittehs! kthxbai!

Carolyn August 19, 2008 at 3:42 pm

Wait – did you add a waistband on the back, or is that the “belt” looping around? I know the last time you made this dress, you wished the midriff band went all the way around the back. Did you modify the pattern?

Erin August 19, 2008 at 4:13 pm

Carolyn — I didn’t modify it (yet …) it’s just the waist ties looping around.

gwendolina August 19, 2008 at 5:23 pm

I made one of these in blue pinstriped flannel two winters back. I wanted something comfy for kicking around the house, but ended up wearing it out more than in, with a boots and a long-sleeved gray shirt underneath. There’s a bad picture of it at the end of this post: http://prairielark.blogspot.com/2007/01/what-i-did-with-my-winter-vacation.html

ash August 19, 2008 at 5:51 pm

Oh it is so pretty and looks extremely comfy too! A win/win situation for a dress! Can’t wait to see the Amy Butler one!

Miss Kitty August 19, 2008 at 6:31 pm

LOVE this one, and can’t wait to see the next if it’s made of Amy Butler fabric! Hooray!

Anonymous August 19, 2008 at 8:46 pm

Darling!

Anonymous August 19, 2008 at 8:48 pm

Darling!

Sara August 19, 2008 at 8:50 pm

Ah, a new favorite “Erin dress,” to go along with the crossword-print dress and the bandana shirtdress! It’s so hard to find good florals that aren’t super-busy or in a hideous colorway.And I think the Duro junior would look great in some kind of wool crepe, with a white longsleeve underneath for winter. :-)

Jamey August 19, 2008 at 10:23 pm

such a great dress…how can you bear to walk away from it…i live in the south so this almost is a winter dress to us…i’d throw a blazer over it or a tiny denim jacket and keep pushing it…and if we got a cold snap–add boots and a scarf…but that’s new orleans, not somewhere with actual seasons…now if i could actually sew…

Marie August 19, 2008 at 10:31 pm

Pretty!! I like the waistband ties looping around. Artless but chic. And I agree, a denim jacket would make this go into the first part of fall.I met someone today who described where he’d lived over the summer (Michigan) as so humid “it was like living in someone’s mouth.”

EmilyJ August 20, 2008 at 7:25 am

I’m a big fan of transitioning my summer dresses into autumn/winter – a cami top or tee underneath, a cardi on top, team it with tights and boots and you’re away!Love the fabric on this one – glad that it finally did arrive.

EmilyJ August 20, 2008 at 7:26 am

Ok, the final part of my comment refers to the dress above – sorry!

Jean August 20, 2008 at 5:09 pm

You know, I’m thinking with 3/4 length sleeves the duro would look good in a cordaroy! Also, just want to tell you the pic’s of these are great! Hmmmm guess I need to look for the pattern!