APB on 4743

by Erin on August 25, 2008

Vogue 4743

I don't usually put out pattern calls (because otherwise that's all I'd do, and because putting out pattern calls often alerts folks that a particularly desirable pattern EXISTS, which usually leads to even more people looking for it, benefiting the original pattern-coveter not a whit) but I am making an exception in this case because 1) it's for a wedding, specifically Shannon's wedding, and 2) it is completely freaking gorgeous.

So, if you have a line on this pattern, will you let me know? Or if you know of a modern equivalent, or something that could be altered into a reasonable facsimile of this pattern …

Oh, and on a completely unrelated note, I don't know how many of y'all Twitter, but I have decided that it would be a Very Funny Idea if I were to twitter as Fake Diana Vreeland, sending out "Why Don't You …" tweets (both some of her original ones and new ones in her "style") at irregular intervals. If you are on Twitter and want to follow Fake Diana Vreeland, she is here. (I also tweet random words at this Twitter account.)

Also: to come later this week: the return of the Meet Our Advertisers feature!

Shannie August 25, 2008 at 2:58 pm

Thanks a bunch Erin!

Anonymous August 25, 2008 at 3:04 pm

I hope you don’t mind too much, Erin and others, but everyone here is so wonderful, I thought I’d ask.Years ago, I came across some truely wonderful buttons. They were Betty Page photos, and they were so cute! Now I can’t find them for love nor money. If I google “Betty Page button”, or something like that, I get Betty Page pins. Can anyone help me?-Sandra

Erin August 25, 2008 at 3:12 pm

Sandra — I saw those at Tender Buttons in Chicago a while back; it’s worth calling them to see if they still have any, I bet!

Charles August 25, 2008 at 3:22 pm

Wow, that one is *not* easy to find on the web, even in passing reference. A measure of last, desperate, resort might be to find someone with a copy of Wild Ginger’s PatternMaster Celebrations to create the pattern from scratch? The front view is a little too small (and the lace details to busy) to make out the style lines though.For some reason, the back bow made me think “Princess Diana” right off; which seems funny to me since this pattern is sleeveless and Lady Di’s was … well … all poof up to *here*.

Anonymous August 25, 2008 at 3:43 pm

That’s a beautiful looking dress I hope you find it. McCalls 6670 is is a midriff pattern but it might give you a start. I’ll see if I can scan the envelope tomorrow.Susan

Anonymous August 25, 2008 at 3:46 pm

Oops lost a phrase there. There should have been an ,if you can find it,after the McC’s 6670 Susan

Theresa August 25, 2008 at 3:53 pm

Shannie – ok this is weird – you and I have the same cat, many of the patterns, and mad love ofr halloween…were we separated at birth. I think Vogue has a retro repro that is similar and could be tweaked into that design. I’ll check … I have the pattern at home.

Cookie August 25, 2008 at 3:56 pm

I haven’t seen that sort of back-lacing turned into a sash before. Pretty! And I like that it’s not strapless. Maybe Shannon can email this scan to different pattern site managers, and as them to notify her if it comes in? How long does Shannon have to locate it?

vespabelle August 25, 2008 at 4:08 pm

McCalls 5232 might work for the top. It’s a basic v-necked dress with a V in the back as well. For the skirt, you just need lots of volume like in Butterick 4918

Shannie August 25, 2008 at 4:20 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! Our wedding is June 20th, so it feels like I still have lots of time. But I probably won’t feel that way for long.Vespabelle: I have Butterick 4918- that’s a good start, I’ll check into McCalls 5232.The search continues…

Little Hunting Creek August 25, 2008 at 4:57 pm

What a beautiful dress; I can see why Shannon needs the pattern. I especially like the bow in back. That is a bow that is unashamed of being big and bow-y – it makes a statement!

Nancy (nanflan) August 25, 2008 at 5:14 pm

I think I have a similar dress from about 10-15 years ago in my stash somewhere. The skirt is different but the back detail is very similar. I’ll check when I get home and get back to you.

Penny August 25, 2008 at 5:19 pm

I just listed this so lovely 1954 bridal/evening dress http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/cgi-bin/doll/store.cgi?overlord=Detailsstore_id=19474 mccalls 9678, perhaps you could check it out and see if this would be suitable for your wedding.. most of these 1950s bridal gowns are magnificent.. and many I have listed sold within a week!.. this one is the very old sizing of 18… bust 36 inches. I am so sure you will yet find the perfect one you are looking for! and congratulations!!!! Penny

Beth August 25, 2008 at 5:25 pm

Beautiful style! What is the internal construction on a garment like that? Boning and …?

harthad August 25, 2008 at 5:30 pm

Hm, so we’ve got a fitted bodice, bateau neckline in front, plunging vee in the back, with the tie. Hard to tell about the skirt style–is that a bouffant, or a circle? Either way, the skirt shouldn’t be too hard to come by. There’s a very similar bodice on this pattern at Ebay, Vogue 5823http://cgi.ebay.com/Stunning-Uncut-Vintage-1950s-V-Back-Evening-Gown-14-36_W0QQitemZ170253407330QQihZ007QQYou'd have to add the tie, but shouldn’t be too hard…

Penny August 25, 2008 at 5:33 pm

also the more modern Vogue Pleat Flare Contrast Back Bow Bride Dress V2849 Pattern that has a big bow and strappy dress.. just passing along suggestions as I see them… and that is a great idea to look at the selection of the Vogue Retro Vintage series patterns…

Myra August 25, 2008 at 6:04 pm

Erin, what a beauty. But I did come across some:Lanetz V2239, strapless, though, but has full skirt with long tiesSo-Retro M8733, but a size 12Scissor Happy V4205, B36, a 40′s wedding pattern with a blue view that is a formalSo Vintage (2 patterns) S1743, but a B32 and M9533, but is sold

Luck(x8) August 25, 2008 at 7:33 pm

These are a little more 30s and a little less 50s, but they are in the same design “family” and full of romance…http://www.evadress.com/371.htmlhttp://www.evadress.com/6573.html

lorrwill August 25, 2008 at 9:17 pm

I would highly recommend reaching out to the pattern sellers on the side bar. They perform miracles from time to time and my experience is that they were all detectives in a past life and would love to be in on the hunt. Janet (Lanetz Living ) and Jen (Mom’s Pattens) both have been wonderful resources for me.

Sandy August 25, 2008 at 9:35 pm

This pattern is absolutely gorgeous. I wish I could tell you I have one, but I don’t. I can just see this dress in a wedding. What type of fabric are thinking of using?I have a friend here in town that has old vintge patterns. I’ll check to see if she has that one.

scarabee August 25, 2008 at 11:49 pm

Shannon. if you can’t find this particular pattern, which aspects of it are you most attached to? I have a discontinued Vogue from a few years ago (maybe the same one nanflan referred to) that has a very similar back (faux lacing with the sash, but that’s not a huge deal), a v-neck in front that could be modified to a bateau, and a straight skirt that could easily be replaced with a full skirt. I’m sure there are other current patterns with elements that could be modified…I’ll see if I can find and scan the pattern I have tomorrow.

What-I-Found August 26, 2008 at 1:37 am

I don’t have this either, but I wish I did. It’s beautiful and I hope we get to see what Shannon does make. I wondered how the holes would be re-enforced for that ribbon/sash. Maybe like huge button holes? And how I’m wondering if this would have a side zipper? Because you sure don’t want to have to tie the sash to get in and out of it…but then it’s a wedding dress. How many times are you going to be getting in or out of a wedding dress? So never mind! Tina

wundermary August 26, 2008 at 2:57 am

Wow, this is really wonderful!Who is going to be sewing this dress? It is a relatively simple design and if you intend to have it made, any person who has the skills to make a wedding dress should be able to put this look together.As a person who has made her own wedding dress, let me tell you this: start now! I thought I had plenty of time and I used a base I’d done three times before. It did not go easy. Messing around with expensive fabric and high expectations makes everything different.

Anonymous August 26, 2008 at 3:46 am

I have decided I hate McCall’s they are too fond of reusing pattern numbers. This is the front and back of the 6670 I have but a search on that number has returned a range of different patterns so I guess finding a copy on your side of the pond might be difficult. http://i34.tinypic.com/r299hu.jpghttp://i38.tinypic.com/jr760w.jpgSusan

Nancy (nanflan) August 26, 2008 at 7:24 am

Erin, I found an illustration of my pattern on my blog: http://sewwest.blogspot.com/2007/12/on-more-positive-note.htmlIt's the second selection, the Bellville Sassoon Vogue 1672. Let me know.

Charles August 26, 2008 at 9:19 am

I wondered how the holes would be re-enforced for that ribbon/sash. Maybe like huge button holes?Tina,I have made a dress and a costume for my daughters with a similar tie arrangement, and what I ended up doing is:- create large button holes (or eyelets in one case) about 1/2″ inset from the edge of the opening- insert a length of 1/4″ boning right into the edge seamThe boning distributes the force of the tie along the entire fabric edge, preventing puckering.I may not have described it very well. :-( Let me know if this doesn’t make sense and I’ll figure out how to get some illustrations together.

lorrwill August 26, 2008 at 9:53 am

There might be a fabric underlay beneath the openings for the sash. The lacing part may be purely decorative and the stress all on the fabric.Just a thought.

Shannie August 26, 2008 at 10:00 am

Nancy, I absolutely love Vogue 1672! I think a combination of that bodice and the skirt from retro Butterick 4918 (which I already have) will get me the dress I’m looking for.Thanks everyone!

Anonymous August 26, 2008 at 11:06 am

Perhaps another suggestion could be to go to http://www.patternrescue.com and put a plea on that site in case someone has even parts of that gorgeous Vogue pattern.

San Antonio Sue August 26, 2008 at 12:23 pm

Wow! What a great community this is!

Emily August 26, 2008 at 12:24 pm

Erin, drat you, your fake Mrs. Vreeland persona convinced me to join Twitter at last. She is, at least, very amusing!

Cookie August 26, 2008 at 12:34 pm

RE: Vogue 1672 I wonder if that later design was inspired by the first one, since they’re both by the same company? It’s scrummy! (That’s my abbreviation for “scrump-dilly-icious”.) I’m looking forward to the day when scanners and printers are bigger, and a place like the wiki vintage library will have a feature where you can actually download patterns and print them right out, like ordering a movie on TV. Then there will be no more two-year searches for the Ding Dong School dress (like I just went through) or Shannie’s Vogue 4743, or anything else. We shall all live in harmony and equality, pattern-wise. I HAVE A DREAM!

Shannie August 26, 2008 at 12:55 pm

Anonymous:I love pattern rescue and participate in pattern donation and recycling A LOT! :)I posted with them first, but I wanted to explore all my options.Thanks

wundermary August 26, 2008 at 1:20 pm

Holy crud! My mom made this dress for me when I was a kid! I’d totally forgotten about it!http://weirdbabe.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/ding_dong_duo_1.jpg

Liz August 26, 2008 at 1:42 pm

re: the Betty Page buttons, I thought i’d seen some at reprodepot.com but a peek today says no dice. You could e-mail her though, maybe she knows. Or try Etsy?

Cookie August 26, 2008 at 1:51 pm

Wundermary: Did you like your Ding Dong dress? I think it’s a very cool pattern, for some reason (sans appliques.) It’s a precursor to the wrap dress, or something! In my relentless search, I ALSO discovered they made an adult version in 1955! Look how similar the drawings are, in the models’ poses and the choice of fabrics, etc. http://vintagepatterns.wikia.com/wiki/McCall%27s_1948

Cookie August 26, 2008 at 1:54 pm

Ooops…I don’t think that worked. Go to Vintage Sewing Patterns Wiki and enter McCall’s 1948 in the search option on the left.

valfromoz August 27, 2008 at 1:25 am

Shannon, you seem to have found your dress but check out kwik Sew 3401. Except for the bow which would be easy to add, it has all the elements you are looking for.

Nora August 27, 2008 at 8:31 am

Stunning dress. And the Vreeland twitters (I just RSSed them) are hilarious and surprisingly inspirational; little moments of fashion zen. I’ll have to sign up for the words, too!

Sharon August 27, 2008 at 12:11 pm

Check out Portia de Rossi’s wedding gown! I would post a link, but really you should google it, there are different views at different sites. It also is frigging gorgeous, and its very much like this pattern except that its a completely backless halter. I think its a Zack Posen.I wish Ellen had worn a gown too — I think she’d look much cuter than she does in pants.

Cookie August 27, 2008 at 12:42 pm

Shannie: I saw that Vogue 1672 online and bought it, so you’re covered. I live in L.A. and I think you’re in San Diego…so if you decide to go with that design and you need it, I can send it to you. I got interested in it because it looks like it could be made into a neat 1800′s style evening dress (with some tweaking) or even a slinky Goth Gown, and also because someone was selling the pattern in a COMBINATION of sizes as one lot; the owner used an 10 skirt and 16 bodice…so this package has all the pieces for sizes 8-10-12-14-16-18 (!) That was just too good to pass up! So if and when I make it I’ll trace the pieces carefully for myself and not screw up the pattern pieces…just let me know if you ever need them :) They will be safe and sound in Hollywood.

Theresa August 27, 2008 at 6:56 pm

Gosh Cookie. I think you must be one of the nicest people on the entire planet.

shannie August 27, 2008 at 10:44 pm

Thanks Cookie, I really appreciate it!!!

Jean August 27, 2008 at 11:42 pm

I agree with Penny…. comment way up there!!! I checked out Vogue today to see if there was anything close… sure enough there is one that is somewhat similar to what your looking for.Good luck! If need be, you could see if you can find a similar top to put on the Vogue skirt. I’ve done that before. Beautiful pattern! Congrats on your engagement! Best to the Bride to be and Groom to Be!

jae August 28, 2008 at 4:35 am

oh twitter…i`m following both you the diana vreeland fake. i hope you find the pattern you need! congrats to the bride groom – to – be!

San Antonio Sue August 28, 2008 at 8:56 am

Erin: your word of the day “throwie”… I think I have one. Mine is a small translucent green ball with internal diodes that light from the energy generated from a bounce or catch. Is it a throwie?; if not, maybe it’s a blight (bounce/light). I got it at a “Safety fair” here at work and wondered what to call it. Must be that serendipity thing… can’t remember the name of the other island.

Cookie August 28, 2008 at 2:39 pm

Why thank you, theresa. I think some of the venomous posters at the Joan Crawford board (where there’s always some juicy Mommie Dearest vs. St. Joan warfare going on) at imdb would argue with that, but I do try to behave like a nice person, in general. And I couldn’t very well hog that pattern when I found out about it through Shannie’s plea for a wedding dress. But the more I looked at it, the more I saw I could incorporate elements from the back of the dress into my Halloween costume, which will be (slighgtly sexy) Mrs. Lovett from Tim Burton’s version of Sweeney Todd. I found this very well made, hand stitched 1800 style dress at the thrift store that must have been constructed as a costume…but it’s too small in the chest and waist, and since I’ll have extra fabric left over from narrowing the poufy skirt, I suspect I can make extra panels for the back and do that sash lacing thing from the Vogue 1672 with a complimentary fabric. The only mystery is WHY they made a heavy, constricting costume out of iridescent polyester taffeta…the actress who wore it must have felt she was dying under the lights.

laurel September 5, 2008 at 11:43 am

Cookie, I don’t suppose you have actually made McCall 1948? I really love it, but at ~$40, its a little pricey for me. If it looks that good in real life, I would buy it in a heartbeat though. Do you know of a picture of one that someone has made?

Jen ~ MOMSPatterns September 27, 2008 at 6:52 pm

OK guys and dolls.. I’ve lucked into FIVE of the Vogue 1672 Bellville Sassoon patterns. Uncut, Unused, Factory folded New Old Stock.. I have 2 size 8-12, 3 size 14-18. They’ll be at http://www.momspatterns.com by tomorrow (Sunday) afternoon!Seeing as I can’t find ANY on the web ANYwhere, I’m gonna be pricing them at $25 each (original price on the pattern). But you know you have at LEAST your dressaday coupon to use if you’re interested in one!xoxox,Jen/MOMSPatterns