Ten Reasons Skirts are Better Than Pants

by Erin on September 11, 2008

Butterick 5282

[*for UK readers, please substitute "trousers" for "pants" throughout. Or just giggle, I don't care.]

1. Drawing your pants legs back from someone in disgust as you pass them is insufficiently scornful.

2. Studies have shown that wearing skirts is 90% effective in preventing VPL (visible panty line).

3. Ditto for "plumber's butt," "whale tail," and "camel toe."

4. Ruffles on a skirt can be over-the-top glamorous. Ruffles on pants are only acceptable if your name is Mary, and a little lamb follows you everywhere you go.

5. It is impossible to smuggle someone in — or out — of prison, a masked ball, a hotel room, etc. by hiding them under your pants. (Plus, there is no such thing as "hooppants."

6. When you strap a gun to your thigh in pants, you lose the element of surprise.

7. You don't have to have skirts hemmed differently for flats or heels.

8. Twirling in a pair of pants results in 87% less happiness.

9. The word "skirt" has both a singular and a plural form, usable by all ("I am wearing a skirt today." "Instantly Mrs. Bagnet put some pins into her mouth, and began pinning up her skirts all round, a little higher than the level of her grey cloak.") The word "pants" has a singular than can only be used by fashion-industry people ("Designers are showing a high-waisted, wide-legged pant for fall").

10. Skirt blowing up, revealing underthings? Sexy. Pants falling down, revealing underthings? Humiliating.

[Pattern from MOMSPatterns.]

Jenny September 11, 2008 at 8:40 am

Excellent list! I would have to add something about the skirt’s superior ability to moderate temperatures – cool and swishy in summer, warm and layered in winter.

M September 11, 2008 at 8:41 am

Please see the Sartorialist here: (http://thesartorialist.blogspot.com/2008/09/on-streetsixth-avenue-nyc.html) for a visual interpretation of #10. Great list, Erin!

Kat September 11, 2008 at 8:50 am

There are only a few big disadvantages to skirts:1: you cannot do handstands and cartwheels in them without exposing your underthings2: you cannot play the cello in one shorter than mid-calf or so3: they are difficult to ride bikes in — too short and they are immodest, too long and they get caught in everything. (Ask me how I know.)Though for all 3 wearing bike shorts underneath will do…One advantage you left out: no one will see your fun patterned stockings under pants unless they are staring at your feet.

Marjie September 11, 2008 at 9:04 am

Hear, Hear! Great list!

the_lazymilliner September 11, 2008 at 9:05 am

I think a parenthesis took in a skirt in no. 5…but great list nevertheless…I’m all for wearing anything that increases happiness.

Nicole September 11, 2008 at 9:06 am

I almost never wear pants now, except during particularly cold weather and/or snowstorms.

Little Hunting Creek September 11, 2008 at 9:07 am

No one daydreams about their future Wedding PantsNo one writes novels called “The Girls in their Summer Pants”Richard Shindell would have to rewrite his song that says “a summer breeze, a cotton dress, that’s the way I remember you best” to say pants and it won’t rhyme or even mean anything as sweetWe get “dressed up” for occasions, but no one gets “pants up”

Amanda #1 September 11, 2008 at 9:13 am

Would it be too off-color for me to remind everyone that quickies are much quicker in skirts? (Why, yes, my mind IS firmly entrenched in the gutter; thank you for asking!)

velvetspryte September 11, 2008 at 9:15 am

Priceless!I loved this list… especially the first item.And I love wearing skirts.

Tara September 11, 2008 at 9:17 am

I love this list! On a more practical note, skirts tend to be much more forgiving than pants if you gain or loose a few pounds.

Julia September 11, 2008 at 9:20 am

Oh, oh, oh, I am laughing and so full of mirth! And I really don’t like pants either.

Adventure girl wanna be September 11, 2008 at 9:31 am

New here. LOVE it! I started sewing when I was 11 and really sewed in years. I’m adding you to my blog roll. Maybe I will start sewing again:)

Amy G. September 11, 2008 at 9:38 am

Great list, and all true, of course! I will add that it is very difficult to sweep out of a room indignantly in pants.

Anonymous September 11, 2008 at 9:40 am

That’s a great list! I would add that no one really looks at your fantastic shoes when you are wearing pants!

lorrwill September 11, 2008 at 9:48 am

BRILLIANT!

tiddleywink September 11, 2008 at 9:55 am

I love it! Yet am also now determined to sew up a pair of ruffled capris.

Anonymous September 11, 2008 at 9:58 am

oh i really needed that laugh, thank you erin, and subsequent ladies who commented :)

The Crafty Academic September 11, 2008 at 10:23 am

Great list. Skirts have been my go-to wardrobe choice for a while now. Top them with a nice cotton t-shirt and there you go! Not too dressy and not dumpy or frumpy. I’ll just have to come up with some warmer ones for fall and winter.

Deborah September 11, 2008 at 10:25 am

What I’ve always felt, summarized so succinctly! Thanks for this–must forward on…

Nora September 11, 2008 at 10:34 am

Re:#6 – I dunno, I think it’s pretty surprising when you have to drop trou to access the gun (I know, you were probably thinking of strapping it on OVER the pants) – though you certainly forecast your intentions more than if you just have to hike your skirt up real quick.I’m much more likely to twirl with joy or swish my skirt in contempt than attempt a cartwheel. And my current dream vehicle is one of those Dutch “oma” bikes with skirt- and chain-guards.I like pants, too – especially those wide-legged pants, which can have a similar “mood” to skirts; it’s good to have options. I’m just sad how hard it is to bicycle in a pencil skirt!

Jeanette September 11, 2008 at 10:36 am

A very timely list for me,I find my trousers are increasingly left hanging in the wardrobe in favour of skirts.

siewkwan September 11, 2008 at 10:43 am

I loveeeee this list!!Oh man, you are brilliant!!! :D

Nancy September 11, 2008 at 10:50 am

heeeeeeee!!!! brilliant.

Kristen September 11, 2008 at 10:59 am

hehe! i love it!

Amy B. September 11, 2008 at 11:24 am

an all important reason: patterned pants should not be worn by anyone over 4 and a half, but patterned skirts are truly lovely. My very favorite skirt (white background, bright red tropical flowers) would look silly as a pair of pants. As a skirt, I get compliments every time I wear it. ;)

Nada Gordon: 2 ludic 4 U September 11, 2008 at 11:34 am

I love this list! Here’s another one: You can wear a skirt over pants, but you can’t wear pants over a skirt!Skirts 4-evah!

Anonymous September 11, 2008 at 11:38 am

Outstanding! It’s funny ’cause it’s all true!-Sandra

Jo September 11, 2008 at 11:48 am

Dare I admit that I’m nearing 40 and still haven’t quite figured out the keeping my legs hairless enough to wear skirts and dresses thing? I tend to default to pants because it’s a perpetual struggle to keep my limbs in viewable condition.That’s not to say that I don’t enjoy skirts when the cold weather permits opaque tights. But I still see skirts and dresses as “difficult” for me.

Sandy April 17, 2013 at 12:47 am

There are ways around this than don’t involve major sacrifice of comfort. (OK, I’m lucky; I’m 50 and married to a former back-to-the-land hippie who thinks it’s beyond ridiculous for women to be constantly fussed over hairless legs. As a result, I shave mine about every year.) When I do bother, I find foam-style aerosol “beard-tamer” shaving cream to be a big help. (No, not borrowed from my husband – he has a neatly-trimmed beard and moustache.) Now, granted, most of my skirts are below-knee to mid-calf. Nobody’s going to see much above ankle-area unless they deliberately look, and when I worked in an office, I wore knee-high or thigh-high nylon stockings (cannot stand pantyhose) when I thought the occasion warranted, which was probably 3 out of 5 days, October through June. Nobody fussed. Claim your freedom.

Miss Kitty September 11, 2008 at 12:05 pm

BRILLIANT! Thanks, Erin!

What-I-Found September 11, 2008 at 12:09 pm

Ahhh, Jo, at last somebody has said it. That’s my issue too. But I have to tell you the solution for this shy/lazy hairy gal has been long skirts. I am a Yankee now living in the hot south and I have taken to long skirts and muu muu type things…the only sensible choice in the heat and humidity. I don’t think I will EVER feel right wearing shorts, but my skirts are getting shorter. Maybe I’m evolving.Tina – 52 and finally getting it

Mimi September 11, 2008 at 12:39 pm

Bwaahhahahahahahaha.I love your disclaimer.

Jen ~ MOMSPatterns September 11, 2008 at 12:46 pm

Oh yay! I LOVE this skirt pattern but moreso, your text when I scroll over the photo.. you are FUN!And this gives me an excuse to run a DAD sale.. 15% from RIGHT NOW thru Midnight EST Monday, September 15, 2008 on your order using coupon code..skirts4ever:DI have skirts galore, vintage aplenty, new old stock Vogues, Halloween costume patterns and a big buncha Barbie Doll patterns I’ve been working on. Come on over, save some money and hopefully find something you can use!xoxJen @ MOMSPatterns.. Who can’t stop wearing mini skirts and being an 80s chick even though she’s over 40 and not supposed to show her knees or the pistol strapped to her thigh..

love, Liette September 11, 2008 at 1:02 pm

#10 made me LOL

Sara September 11, 2008 at 1:44 pm

This list made my morning! #10 also made me LMAO, loudly. :)Might I add #11 (Amanda, you will appreciate this): Using the bathroom in a skirt is as easy as bunching it up. Using the bathroom in pants? Have fun with that zipper.

uponawhim September 11, 2008 at 1:51 pm

I read through the list a couple of times… all very, very funny. The mental picture of number ten though, was hysterical! Thanks for the laughs!

Theresa September 11, 2008 at 2:06 pm

Amen! Skirts rock. Hairy? Don’t you just shave every morning? And when you don’t feel like it maxi skirt — or boots in winter.

Miss Amelina September 11, 2008 at 3:16 pm

You know….I was gonna make a pair of pants for my upcoming vacation….but you’ve convinced me to make another skirt instead! :)

Anonymous September 11, 2008 at 3:29 pm

Forget strapping a gun to your leg…a skirt hides your whiskey flask too. I guess you could also put a gun on one leg and the flask on the other. heh Besides…how else are you supposed to hitchhike?Angie @ *capricornvintage*

belphebe September 11, 2008 at 3:56 pm

jo, I waxed my legs for a number of years and it really did make a difference. I still have some hair on my legs but it’s not very noticeable. If I’m feeling really self-conscious, I just wear long skirts.I think #1 and #10 are my favorites, as well as the hovertext. I love View A in the pattern, the “tulip” hem on the skirt.

Eirlys September 11, 2008 at 5:13 pm

Oh, how delightful! Let’s all skirt pants!

Anonymous September 11, 2008 at 5:23 pm

I would wear skirts more often if it weren’t for pantyhose. (And no, I’m not going to go without. Nobody needs to see my pale blotchy legs.)In winter, when I can wear opaque tights that last more than two days, is when I wear more skirts and dresses.

Anonymous September 11, 2008 at 5:27 pm

Love the pattern! Just last week I was thinking about making a gored skirt with scallops at the bottom…

Denise September 11, 2008 at 5:34 pm

Great list, timely reminder for me. I just purchased my first two vintage patterns today, for skirts!Reading through the comments reminds me that I ALWAYS wore shorts under my skirts as a child, so that I could climb on the monkey bars!

mamafrog September 11, 2008 at 5:44 pm

OMG–you’re #10 msde me fall over laughing! When I was a newly wed, the hubby and MIL and I were shopping at a mall. She was a lady in her 60′s, slightly heavy, and had some problems getting around, so she usually wore pants because they the most comfortable for her. When we’d been there for awhile, she came up to me clutching her waist and said we had to leave right then. It really worried me and I asked her what was wrong, was she sick? She started laughing and said no, the elastic on her underwear had broken and she couldn’t keep them up! She also said if she’d had a dress on, she would’ve just let let them fall down and keep right on walking, and she would have, too!! That’s been one of my favorite memories of her after 30 years–just the look on her face alone was priceless!

Lisa September 11, 2008 at 7:13 pm

Lady A’s shoes would give me blisters. But yay for skirts!

Doushkasmum September 11, 2008 at 8:07 pm

You can so turn a cartwheel is a skirt, I do so often. (I admit that handstands present a problem, wear underwear you don’t mind showing off!) Centrifugal force will keep your skirt where it belongs during a cartwheel no problem.

Beth September 11, 2008 at 8:16 pm

Reading this blog: pricelessBy the way, I have wanted to make a scalloped hem gored skirt, but how do you hem it? Or do you have to put a facing on?

Sandy April 17, 2013 at 12:49 am

Narrow “shirt-tail” hem or bias binding, altho a facing would be nice . . . maybe in a contrast color?

Altissima September 11, 2008 at 8:52 pm

Skirts are much much easier to make and fit well.

Kathryn September 11, 2008 at 11:21 pm

The internet says hoop pants *do* exist! :)

Akkadis September 12, 2008 at 12:48 am

I was going to say ‘add “muffin-tops” to number 3, but I suppose that you can have muffin-tops with a skirt. Not that I’ve ever seen that happen – maybe skirt-wearers are to sensible to try to cram themselves into way-too-small clothing.

3KillerBs September 12, 2008 at 9:28 am

Pants add nothing to the swing and swish of a woman’s walk. They neither increase the interest for the viewer nor give the wearer that lovely, sensuous feeling from the swirl of fabric around the legs.Pants reveal the lumps, bumps, and bulges that skirts skim over gracefully.In a skirt of any reasonable fullness you can hitch the hem up above your knee in a genteel way in order to step up on a bench, wall, rock, stump, etc. to get a better view or to escape something noxious. Tight jeans keep you grounded lest the back split.A skirt drapes gracefully over your lap when you sit. Pants hems ride up so that the tops of your knee-high stockings show.You can’t shake out your jeans as a sign of commitment and determination before striding into action.Shy or unhappy toddlers find no comfort in the empty, fabric-free space between your knees when you wear pants.Pants don’t allow you to discreetly and flirtaciously lift your hem a little too high to give your husband a private viewing as you climb into the passenger seat of his SUV.:D

Lisa Simeone September 12, 2008 at 10:24 am

BRAVA, ERIN!!!Yes, skirts are far superior (although of course, ladies, I do like pants, too). And as I keep trying to explain, they are far cooler in hot humid summers than are shorts. Skirts shade your legs from the sun, while still allowing air to circulate. They are infinitely feminine, infinitely elegant, especially longer ones (though I do love me a pencil skirt!).Little hunting creek, I second you on Richard Shindell! Love him, and especially love that song. He’s a great artist. Do you know his version of Springsteen’s “Sandy” (aka “4th of July Asbury Park”)? Makes me cry every time.

lucitebox September 12, 2008 at 10:38 am

Perhaps we should also have a Wear A Skirt Day which seems like for many of us, would be just an average day. This is very funny! Very funny.

Robin Chase September 12, 2008 at 10:41 am

Erin, I was telling someone about dressaday.com yesterday and had to go check it out. I love today’s posting, as did my fashion model 21 year old daughter. I love your sense of humor.

Jen September 12, 2008 at 10:53 am

Awesome! I agree with all of the comments including giving your husband a peak (except I have a 4×4 Suburban that has high running boards.Skirts also let you wear cute thigh-high stockings in fish net from Victoria’s Secret :)

saidee September 12, 2008 at 12:41 pm

Beth–a faced hem is probably easiest, plus it gives you the option to use a fabulous contrast which will show some of the time.I hate to admit it, but I wear knee-high stockings with my skirts when it’s not too hot for them. I cringe a bit because of the little-old-lady association, but if my skirt is long enough–most are–I manage to conceal that they go only to my knees. If anyone sees what they are, they’re being rude. I LOVE twirling in a full skirt!

saidee September 12, 2008 at 12:50 pm

P.S. just did the scroll thing and have to say that I have the fabric to make trousers in two reverse black and white prints with one leg with the white background and the other with the black background. I think this will be fun, and a jest, or sorts. Wouldn’t do it, though, if I thought I’d look like a JESTER. The print is an inch + stylized floral. I’ll send you a picture when I get around to making them.

Pop Culture Dork September 12, 2008 at 3:58 pm

*dies laughing at “whale tail”*Hey, I learned a new word today! Genius, but #10 is still my favorite. Point well made. I actually really do love skirts and dresses lately, but I have a penchant for sitting very unladylike, which makes pants the smarter option when not wanting to give a peek at the honey pot. ;D In summer especially, though, I’m all over a skirt… and I’ve been warming up to skirts in winter with thick tights.

Alana September 13, 2008 at 9:44 pm

This is an amazing list, thanks for sharing it!Alana

oracle September 14, 2008 at 6:22 am

Too funny!But I think ruffles on pants are gorgeous. Especially when they start above the knee and have multiple tiers that blossom out larger the farther down they are, like a tiered and gathered skirt but for each leg. Oh, what I wouldn’t give to have a pair of pants like that!I have envisioned these, but saw them manifested only once on a woman on College Street in Toronto a few weeks ago. I couldn’t figure out how to jump off my moving streetcar so I could run shrieking over to ask her where she’d got them, so the opportunity was lost.

oracle September 14, 2008 at 6:51 am

And I’d like to add, on skirts’ behalf, that if you’re really in dire straights, when you finally make it to a washroom you could wet yourself while fumbling desperately to undo your pants, whereas skirts prevent such accidents from taking place.On a similar universally practical note, I’d also like to add that sufficiently large and long skirts will poof out beautifully around one while one squats, letting go the water while pretending to study a wildflower or sand dollar, and they will keep anyone else on the beach or in the meadow from knowing what one is really doing. Pants won’t do that.

lifewithellabella September 14, 2008 at 11:57 pm

This list is fantastic. In fact. I think I’ll make myself a skirt tomorrow!

La BellaDonna September 15, 2008 at 5:18 pm

I wear opaque tights summer and winter with my skirts, which nicely takes care of that “whitewhitewhite skin/dark hair” issue on my legs. Since I don’t wear control-top tights, they’re not uncomfortable, and they keep my thighs from chafing in the summer [and winter, come to think of it]. You can wear the first skirt you make, and very often no one will ever know it’s your first – but it’s not usually true with your first pair of trousers! Plus it’s much easier to update a skirt than a pair of trousers – raise the hem, lower the hem, add a flounce, enlarge the waist, take it in – most trousers reveal your adjustment attempts to the world!

HollyP September 16, 2008 at 3:12 pm

My daughter chooses her skirts and dresses based upon the twirl factor. She won’t wear them if they don’t billow like a Disney Princess gown when she spins in a circle.

Kelly September 19, 2008 at 1:05 pm

No one ever checks out your legs when you’re in pants!This list is depressing me. I had a dress all ready to wear this morning, but at the last minute checked the weather and realized that it would be too warm. I grabbed pants for the first time in weeks because all my skirts need to be pressed. I feel so un-me today.

Anonymous September 22, 2008 at 8:13 am

Great list! I always wear skirts, and I’m a man. Pants are not conducive to having dangly bits. Skirts are the clothing of warriors, and still worn by men in 3/4 of the world. It was only 300 years ago that the men of western culture began to deviate from them as the norm.

Cindy September 22, 2008 at 11:15 am

I Stumbled on this today – LOVE it! And it made me smile today. So many good reasons for skirts.

Kathy September 22, 2008 at 2:11 pm

BTW, at the local Irish fest there were not just a few men in “skirts’ or kilts and I have to say, they were very sexy. Much better than the hanging bottom blue jeans on the more robust men and they look very hot with black combat boots. Men are lucky they don’t have to worry about hair on their legs, it only adds to the look. Somw of the fellows I saw, wore t-shirts with them. They did not have pockets but some just hooked their wallet to their belt with a chain.

Naila September 23, 2008 at 4:05 am

i loved this :-)! had me giggling the whole way through. If any of you guys are interested in handmade customised or precut vintage inspired dresses check out my ebay store – http://stores.ebay.co.uk/nellys_vintage_attic or! http://www.nellysvintageattic.comhave fun :-)

kittie September 23, 2008 at 7:43 am

Found from Stumbleupon – very cute!Long live the skirt!

Anonymous September 23, 2008 at 1:53 pm

Um, speaking as a member of the mostly non-skirt-wearing sex, this is all very well, but Amanda made the obvious point… things are more accessible and faster. Just thinking about the possibilities, even unconsciously, keeps the male eye engaged.”Getting into her pants” doesn’t get you very far at all… you’ve still got to get them off her. But getting under her skirt? Now we’re making progress and most of the way home.She may not be any more available but the possibility that she might be is about all the average guy needs to pay more attention in every way.(via stumbleupon)

Pu Niao September 24, 2008 at 2:13 pm

That’s a great list for skirts, what skirts can do for you, the pants are unable to fulfill. Thank you.

Anonymous September 26, 2008 at 1:47 am

I love skirts over pants as they are my comfortable.I try never to wear pants to work.I too wear longer skirts and knee highs,and have been told by co-workers that they can see the tops of my knee highs when I’m sitting or cross legged.I have also worn them with slit skirts at times,and were showing,but didn’t know.I don’t want to feel like an old lady,but dislike like pantyhose.

Anonymous September 26, 2008 at 1:57 am

I too hate pantyhose,butlike wearing skirts.When I wear shorter skirt In the cooler weather,I wear colored trouser knee high.They look much nicer than sheer granny style hose.

Anonymous September 26, 2008 at 5:03 am

Plus, when it’s raining, trousers tend to soak up the water, making you colder and wetter. Skirts don’t do that:)

Anonymous September 26, 2008 at 1:36 pm

Love to wear skirts,but don’t like bare legs.I will wear tights,but not cold enough yet.I may try the knee highs,in darker shades.I don’t care if they show!Pants are a pain!

Jazzy October 4, 2008 at 12:17 am

#6 is my all time favorite. Straight Lara Croft style.

April Bauerf October 6, 2008 at 12:01 pm

I enjoyed this list a lot. My girls definitely have an easier time going to the bathroom without dealing with the zippers. I think that skirts/dresses also empower us as women. It adds to our femininity. I hope I spelled that right. Thanks for sharing.

The Conscious Snob October 9, 2008 at 2:38 pm

HAHA! Excellent list. I think my fav is retaining the element of surprise when you need to strap a gun to your thigh. Really shows how versatile skirts are :)

kojii December 8, 2008 at 6:21 pm

heheh I just love this! I even have that pattern in an old chest back home in Ireland! love love love it hahah

I'm A Dube January 15, 2009 at 11:14 am

Is it ok for men to comment?I love skirts and wear them in place of pants or shorts. In no way am I a girly guy, I just love the way skirts wear.

Meredith February 26, 2009 at 2:22 pm

This list and listing of comments was a hoot! Very fun to hear others musing on thoughts i have had about clothing, who knew? Anyway, my contribution is that i love both pants and skirts…I’d wear skirts even more but find it hard to stay safe and modest as i am a chronic house remodeler and reorganizer and you can’t safely climb a ladder in a skirt (at least the lengths i wear) as you step on the hem, and many positions, including being on the ladder are immodest in skirts, though i am aware i can wear shorts or leggings underneath…but then it can get too hot or too bulky….just another perspective…Cheers!MeredithPS I’d be VERY interested in seeing these American men who posted saying they were straight yet wore skirts…i can’t picture it and have never seen it! :)

High Street Fashion April 23, 2009 at 8:46 am

i like wearing skirts occasionally, but mostly i prefer pants because it’s very comfortable.

dean August 11, 2009 at 8:26 am

ya back in the history men did wear skirts actually. in the roman times and the scottish guy and theyre kilts…but today I like maken skirts that most when I design.I have a project that calls for the bodice to woren as a skirt, and it is very challanging.what should i do?

aroundthecorner November 26, 2009 at 9:17 pm

As a senior in high school I decided pants were uncomfortable and boring. Its been three years and I havent worn a single pant since.

Rachael February 23, 2010 at 7:32 pm

Ten reasons why I am glad women are allowed to wear pants everyday… OR, ten reasons why pants are better than skirts (for the more adversarial).1. No need to concern yourself while brushing by people on the train or bus, or getting out of a car… Im pretty sure your pants arent stuck/caught on anything.2. Studies have shown that leaving a restroom with your underwear showing is 99% less likely when wearing pants.3. Which would you prefer, getting reminded to zip your fly, or being told your skirt is stuck in your undies?4. Pants make your legs look longer… and unlike a mini skirt and stilettos, you can still look distinguished.5. It is impossible to modestly go up open stair cases, get into the middle of a picnic bench, or do a cartwheel in a skirt.6. No need for a spray on tan, frequent shaving, or heels (to lengthen your legs).7. You dont have to get pants tailored to hit you in the right place proportionally (e.g. at the knee)–just choose flats or heels to fit, or petite, regular, or tall length. 8. Twirling in a pair of pants results is 87% less likely to cause you to lose your dignity via underwear exposure. 9. Women can wear pants; they cover you, look amazing without being too girly, and Women CAN WEAR PANTS now (unlike in my mothers youth), appreciate it. Think of what you can do with the brain power that is not focused on reassuring yourself your undies are covered.10. Skirt blowing up, revealing underthings? Frequent. Pants falling down, revealing underthings? Extremely rare.

BrooklynChick March 18, 2010 at 11:46 pm

Some comments on the above: (FYI, Im a gal who does wear pants occasionally, but not nearly as often as I wear skirts or dresses. I pretty much save pants for absolutely freezing weather.)1. We have a wicker basket at the foot of our bed that I tend to get my clothes caught on accidentally when passing by (we really need to move it.) Every single time Ive caught a clothing item on it, its been pants, not a skirt. A skirt is much easier to sweep away from it as I pass. 2 3. I have also never gotten my skirt caught in my underwear. Ever. Is this really a problem for people?4. No need for a miniskirt and stilettos — they look great with a knee-length skirt, and you can actually show off your legs. Whether or not your pants make your legs look longer, nobody is going to be checking them out if theyre hidden. 5. How often do you cartwheel?6. I shave no matter what. And as far as flats versus heels, I actually feel more comfortable in flats with a skirt than I do in flats with pants. The former makes me feel sort of gamine-like; the latter makes me feel frumpy. 7. Maybe some dont care about where their pants hit, but I sure always have. Pants should be 1/4 inch off the floor no matter what shoes you are wearing. And getting separate ones for flats and heels is imperative. Im much more likely to need pants altered for length than a skirt. 8. Twirling in a pair of pants makes you look silly. In a skirt, everyone understands that you are twirling to get the pretty swirly factor :-)9 10. Again with the undies. Really? ALL my skirts and dresses are at least knee length. Even on a breezy day, keeping covered really isnt all that much of a challenge. JMO!

Cari Homemaker April 19, 2013 at 9:17 pm

Awesome list, especially the twirling comment. Thank you.

Annon September 17, 2013 at 9:37 am

Isn’t it wonderful that we have a choice in what we wear,not like our grandmothers or other cultures where it was/is forbidden to wear “men’s” clothes.

carol Joyce September 20, 2013 at 3:55 pm

The hold saying about children hanging around your skirts is very true. as a dress/skirtwearing nanny I have often found small children using my skirt to pull themselves up. trouser wearing mums are depriving there children.

Skirts are comfortable and much sexier and this thead has had me laughing all the way through!