Mirror Photos Day Two

by Erin on September 24, 2008

Erin in alphabet dress

Sorry for the "Let's all go to jail!" expression on my face here; I was rushing to get *something* shot before heading to the airport. (Also, usually I have feet.)

This dress is fantastically comfortable; it's this one again, Butterick 7513. The only flaw in it (for me) is that I set the zipper in too low on the left side, and so the fabric is stressing there — not when I put it on, but when I take it off. So someday soon I have to take the zipper out, reinforce that stress point, and put the zipper back in, only higher. (And if you think that sounds like fun, email me and YOU can do it. And then you can whitewash my fence, if you give me your apple.)

Sweater is, again, from Lands' End. I keep buying their sweaters, especially once they go to $20 on clearance, but I really wish they would put a "true red" in their color lineup.

The bag (you can see it on the table) is a Fossil I bought on eBay; the leather is really nice — soft but sturdy — there are a lot of pockets, and my laptop + power cord + notebook + something to read fits in it just fine, but the crossbody strap is a bit too thin to be comfortable, and so I end up holding it over my bent arm a LOT, Mary-Kate Olsen style. (Which I hate.) Also, it snaps shut instead of zipping shut; ten demerits. I switched back to my Chrome laptop backpack for the plane, and shoved the handbag into my luggage.

Oh — I almost forgot. When I was getting on the plane, the crew member at the door said "Hey, you look like that educational play toy stuff I buy for my kids!" So I told him that yes, I WAS very popular with infants. That's me — forming young minds. Scared yet?

mangokat September 24, 2008 at 9:09 am

You are so cute and you make me smile AND think every day. Thanks so much!If only you could mold the minds of all the children today….

Lisa Simeone September 24, 2008 at 9:19 am

Erin, the world — and especially this country — would be a better place if you were molding young minds.

the_lazymilliner September 24, 2008 at 9:31 am

That crew member certainly won’t forget you..and you travel enough that your paths might cross again!

Erin September 24, 2008 at 9:39 am

The fabric was at reprodepot; they don’t have it any more but they do have this red-letter fabric on sale: http://reprodepot.stores.yahoo.net/wplabcrd.html

frualeydis September 24, 2008 at 9:41 am

You look lovely. Aside from the dress I really like your hair.

aurelia September 24, 2008 at 9:51 am

What happened to camouflage for the security theater at the airport?

Erin September 24, 2008 at 9:55 am

Had meetings all day before flying, meetings for which camo was not a good choice. I did buy some lovely lightweight camo, almost like lawn, so I’m planning a camo shirtdress Real Soon Now. :-)

Bex September 24, 2008 at 10:01 am

I like that the waist hits you exactly in the right place. I think that is very important for this style of dress, but I haven’t tested my theory, yet. Thanks for the photo, it is nice to see your dresses modeled.

Little Hunting Creek September 24, 2008 at 10:15 am

What a cute dress! And the sweater is a nice complement. Lands’ End needs to make a red one AND fix that apostophe thing they have going on. They could make a whole ad campaign out of it. But do they care? They do NOT

melinda September 24, 2008 at 10:23 am

actually, delurking to say, I think several of your dresses have a wonderful Miss Frizzell/Magic School Bus vibe! That is actually a compliment, she has an amazing dress wardrobe…check out the books in the kid section if youre not already familiar with Miss( or is it Ms.?)Frizzell her fabulous dresses!

Sugardale September 24, 2008 at 10:25 am

It is always nice to see someone on a plane dressed in something other than sweats and ugg boots. You’re bringing class back to air travel, Erin. I like it!

Miss Amelina September 24, 2008 at 10:31 am

RAD! I am heading out on a plane today too, and I am all about the poofy skirt…happy travels!!

Toby Wollin September 24, 2008 at 10:37 am

I’m sure seeing someone ‘dressed for travel’ is something pretty unusual for that crew member. I’ve seen everything from pj bottoms to sloppy sweats on planes and though I do understand people’s needs to be comfy and take their shoes off to prevent blood clots, a nice dress and getting up from the seat and walking around is probably a far better idea. I love that dress…

Deirdre September 24, 2008 at 10:47 am

You and I have very similar styles, Erin! I love that dress and I love that sweater!

tcarole September 24, 2008 at 10:59 am

This picture made me rethink shirtdresses. I considered them a bit frumpy on the dress form, but it looks anything but frumpy on you. I love it with the yellow sweater.

enc September 24, 2008 at 11:23 am

What a dopey comment from that guy. I admire your ability not to frown at him. I love how you responded.You look great.Now, let’s all go to jail.

Kim September 24, 2008 at 11:36 am

Oh witty sister in law of mine….you made me chuckle out loud again!! I know an infant that you would be VERY popular with and a 3 year old that thinks you are FUNNY! Have a safe week!Love,Me

Kim September 24, 2008 at 11:37 am

vespabelle September 24, 2008 at 11:51 am

is that a cotton sweater? My Lands End cashmere cardigans are all Way too long (verging on dumpy “office sweater” territory.) Maybe I should go for the cotton knits?

Eirlys September 24, 2008 at 12:50 pm

Very cute! But Jeez, you’re ever so slightly freaking me out there because my dear mama had the exact same glasses and almost the same hair-do back in the Fifties [Cue Twilight Zone music]. Have a great and groovy rest-of-week!

ambika September 24, 2008 at 1:00 pm

I *love* your glasses and you look fantastic in your dress!

bani September 24, 2008 at 2:10 pm

“(And if you think that sounds like fun, email me and YOU can do it. And then you can whitewash my fence, if you give me your apple.)”Oh Erin, I lolled so hard. Made my day that did! :D

AngelaBeth September 24, 2008 at 2:14 pm

Have you seen THIS FLICKR GROUP YET?: http://www.flickr.com/groups/863449@N22/:),Angela

Nadine September 24, 2008 at 2:50 pm

That’s a great photo! Woohoo! I’d go to jail with you, babe.

Anonymous September 24, 2008 at 6:20 pm

Love, love, love the dress, hair, glasses. But….. girded with the courage of anonymity… I’m admitting that I don’t like the cardigan. The color is FAB, but it’s simply too boxy. I’d like to see you in something a bit more fitted. I found a Liz Claiborne cardie, in the same length, but with a princess seam that nips the waist just enough. That’s what I’d like to see with that dress. You’ve got great curves; I say, show ‘em off!PS Perfect riposte to the snarky crew member!

lopi September 24, 2008 at 6:26 pm

You look great! The color of the cardigan complements your black and white dress perfectly, but – as anonymous above notes – it doesn’t shoe off your waist. I would suggest a skinny belt. Very 50′s, don’t you think?

Dawn September 24, 2008 at 11:49 pm

I am so relieved to hear that you have feet ;-)I was just wondering how you would survive jail without them…

Vegan September 25, 2008 at 3:46 am

Very cute dress! It begs to be worn with a crinoline. Not on a plane of course, unless you really want to annoy your seat mate.

Anonymous September 25, 2008 at 5:45 am

Lovely dress – I too have a thing for the Land’s End cotton cardigans as they are so comfortable. I wish they’d add more colours and sell them at US prices. They cost almost 60 dollars at the current exchange rate but go down to 20 dollars for the clearance.Lokking forward to the remainder of your “Dress A Day” Week.Juliet UK

Eileen September 25, 2008 at 7:44 am

Love the dress and love the Tom Sawyer reference.

saidee September 25, 2008 at 1:57 pm

Love this dress and the cardigan (you could nip in the side seams a bit if you agree w/ the comments on its shape: I for one think it looks just great as is). I know just what you mean about redoing the zipper-ugh! I think it’s the thought of it that’s demoralizing: I actually do enjoy doing that sort of thing once I get started, and no, I won’t do yours because I have too much on my plate, including similar tasks. If we were sewing buddies I would definitely consider it, though! Jail, too…You make the day more fun!When are you going to make up the exclamation point fabric–or were you not able to get it?

Dilly September 25, 2008 at 2:39 pm

Yay for dresses and cardigans!Yay for pictures of Erin in the clothes she’s sewn!Yay that you are still alive and kicking after your disappearance last week! (although boo that I won’t be able to wear mourning dress… http://www.artofmourning.com/textiles.html)

Anonymous September 25, 2008 at 2:45 pm

You looked great!! It is nice to see some women are dressing better and with more individual style again. i used to love shirtwaist dresses when I was young and skinny, I could turn one out in a few days of sewing. And all the fabric stores had lovely fabric back in those days. Gave up wearing pants years ago when the longer dresses came into fashion and I intend to wear them til I die, no matter what happens.

Anonymous September 28, 2008 at 4:43 am

ErinWhat do you do with scrap fabrics from the dresses you make? Do you use them for quilts?

Erin September 28, 2008 at 8:44 am

I often use the scraps as pockets or facings on other projects … but I am collecting a bunch now to have someone ELSE make me a quilt. I don’t have the patience …

Anonymous September 28, 2008 at 10:35 am

Thanks for the ideas. Not knowing what to do with the scrap fabrics has been one of the reasons that have kept me from sewing!

Melissa April 21, 2009 at 2:06 pm

“Usually I have feet” is my new favorite catchphrase.