Utterly Great

by Erin on October 13, 2008

Ingrid (and Erin, and Mary Beth, and Livebird, and Lisa, and Cindy) sent me this link, to Jodie's selvedge dress:

selvedge dress

This is, as you can plainly see with your own eyes, magnificent. I hereby crown Jodie Queen of Doing Cool Stuff for this week (with the power vested in me by … well, by nobody, but that's beside the point). Anyone who can do this is the Queen of Doing Cool Stuff by general acclamation.

And you have GOT to click on the image to see all the other pictures. The fabulosity quotient here is very high. (Pregnant women and those with heart conditions should fortify themselves with chocolate before clicking through.)

I really, really, really hope that Alexander Henry or Michael Miller or SOMEBODY gets the hint here and does a fabric that's all selvage/selvedges as a boon to all of use who are too lazy to save ours …

Anonymous October 13, 2008 at 9:10 am

Either I’m doing something wrong (clicking on the wonderful selvedge dress) or the link is wrong because I went to LottieLulu’s?

Kristen October 13, 2008 at 9:22 am

just wow! i could stare at it for hours! that must feel like such an accomplishment.

Lorem Ipsum October 13, 2008 at 9:30 am
Anonymous October 13, 2008 at 9:33 am

There is a problem with the link, but you can google it and find it easily. The photos are great and the dress is terrific! I can’t tell for sure if this is quilted or just sewn to a backing fabric, but it does appear to have a lot of body like a quilt. Could just be all the stitching. I’ve often noticed the pretty colors on the selvedge and have saved a few but just used them to tie bundles of fabric for my stash. Hmmmm, wonder how long it would take me to trim all the selvedge off of ALL the fabric in my house…Dawn

Erin October 13, 2008 at 9:38 am

Whoops! Fixed! Thanks, guys!

Little Hunting Creek October 13, 2008 at 9:39 am

That is an amazing dress and a piece of art. It should be in the Smithsonian by acclamation. I want one!

Ladygrande (Texas Marie) October 13, 2008 at 9:45 am

Oh…my…goodness….!! What a challenge and great work.

Alicia October 13, 2008 at 9:58 am

Such an amazing accomplishment! And what a perfect pattern for it! I keep seeing these fabulous selvage projects and thinking I should try it myself but I know it’d have to be something tiny. I’d go cross-eyed after sewing too many of those little strips together. Fantastic work, Jodie!

Alicia October 13, 2008 at 9:58 am

Eirlys October 13, 2008 at 10:20 am

Oh, wowzers! That is some piece of selvedge salvage! Quite a quilted effect there too – should stand up happily on its own (which will be useful if it goes to the Smithsonian, which I’d be happy to sign a petition for). Jodie’s a legend.

2monkeys_mom October 13, 2008 at 10:57 am

I was hoping someone would alert you to that fabulosity.Can you imagine the selvedge edge of a selvedge print fabric? How many of those test-circles they might have on it?

Cindy October 13, 2008 at 11:05 am

Erin– still think this is the coolest ever! I asked Jodi about the pattern–vintage Simplicity. I woke up think of making an A line with selvages! cindy

lucitebox October 13, 2008 at 11:19 am

This dress is so inspired! What an awesome accomplishment. I love it. I looked at it four times already and will, no doubt, be viewing it again and again.

Myra October 13, 2008 at 11:37 am

That is cool, but I cannot imagine the man-hours in sewing those together to make the fabric.

wundermary October 13, 2008 at 12:05 pm

I really love the pieced fabric, I think I will try the bag project. I’ve always thought registration marks are interesting, but I’d never thought about doing something like this with them!

xstpenguin October 13, 2008 at 12:07 pm

Wow. I’d seen some of Jodie’s other selvedge projects (and the measuring tape purse, very nice), so if I’d known there was a selvedge dress in the making I’d have thought – great idea. But the execution, it’s SO gorgeous. It’s a real, very pretty, perfectly fitted dress, not just a gimmick. She surely deserves some kind of award!!Thanks for sharing.AJ

Lisa Simeone October 13, 2008 at 12:08 pm

Holy cow. Absolutely gobsmackingly amazing. And beautiful. And it’s a shirtdress! With a full ’50s-style skirt to boot! I bow down in awe.

Anonymous October 13, 2008 at 1:01 pm

Add one more gobsmacked “Holy Cow”! How? HOW IS IT DONE?-Sandra

Niesz Vintage Home October 13, 2008 at 1:25 pm

Wow! Isn’t that amazing!I’ve seen Jodie’s other selvage projects but, this is just beyond gorgeous.So creative.Kimberly :)

Miss Kitty October 13, 2008 at 1:57 pm

Oh, MY. That is freaking brilliant!

Lavon October 13, 2008 at 2:46 pm

simply amazing!

Penny October 13, 2008 at 3:33 pm

Great dress and it fits so beautifully. and as a note to all readers of Dress A Day, my website http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca the server is down in Victoria, B.C. big blackout and has been out since supper time yesterday.. Other big companies are affected too, so try us later!!! Thank you! Penny

Sal October 13, 2008 at 3:39 pm

THAT is a masterpiece.

Jodie October 13, 2008 at 3:45 pm

Hi guys, thanks so much for all the kind words and the visits. I am bit blown away to be honest. for those who want to know I pieced all the selvege to a backing fabric , laying each selvedged edge over the previous raw edge (Hope that makes sense) The dress does have a lot of body but it is still pretty fluid. Pop over if you have any questions – I’ll do my best …and thanks again.Jodie

Basnight October 13, 2008 at 5:55 pm

Amazing!! I just had to come out of lurky-ville to comment. I am pregnant and had just eaten two little hershey bars, thanks for the warning, I don’t think I would have survived without them;-)I am almost speechless at the creativity of this project and most definitely awe stricken!

Couture Allure Vintage Fashion October 13, 2008 at 6:00 pm

Can you imagine how many hours this must have taken? I am incredibly impressed!Jody

Anonymous October 13, 2008 at 8:31 pm

Amazing. I’ve also been intrigued by those little dots of color on the side, but would never have thought of saving them up.Here’s the perfect bag to go with them (nayy)http://www.recycledseatbelts.ca/index.php?cPath=23Rhoda in Calgary

jen October 14, 2008 at 3:08 am

that is brilliant! and beautiful too.

-E October 14, 2008 at 7:44 am

anyone have any ideas on what this pattern is? or a similar one? :)

paphos-sk October 14, 2008 at 11:30 am

Hey Erin,I’ll mail you all my accumulated selvedges! I was going to make a quilt (I’ll e-mail you a jpeg). But never got around to it.I saw it at our local quilt show last year.

paphos-sk October 14, 2008 at 11:57 am

It was easier to just post my LJ entry for another use of selvedges (selveges?).:)http://paphos-sk.livejournal.com/

Justine October 14, 2008 at 3:04 pm

Holy Moly! That dress is a beauty! The pink “floofy” crinoline takes it over the top!

caitlin October 16, 2008 at 11:43 pm

if you wanted to print something like that, you could try spoonflower. I don’t know anything about their process, but I believe it would work. You’d lose all that lovely texture, though, which would be a shame.

deanne October 19, 2008 at 6:28 pm

woah! i just got entirely too excited about this dress! it’s fantastic! :D

The Celebrated Author October 19, 2008 at 10:06 pm

By the power vested in me as Grand Empress of the World, I vest power in you.