Mine Mine Mine All Mine

by Erin on October 14, 2008

It took more than a year of watching and waiting, but finally THIS PATTERN is mine:

McCalls 9379

And I bought it from Wonderful Wiki Contributor Birgit/Tarna's eBay store, which only makes it better. (She also has a Main Street Malls store.)

I love this dress so much. I think it's because (even though the model in the illustration is clearly an ingenue) this seems like a very attractive (okay, let's admit it: sexy) dress for a woman, not just a girl. Think a kind of lush, mid-career Elizabeth Taylor; before women past 35 were encouraged to inject their foreheads with toxins lest — heaven forbid — they showed a creased visage (or attempted to raise their eyebrows).

And is it wrong that I want to make this dress in every color (starting with orange)? Possibly best not to answer that.

If this pattern makes you long to buy some patterns yourself, you're in luck: Janet at Lanetz Living is running a sale (while she goes off to welcome her fourth grandchild into the world — congratulations!). It's
25% off … just use the code sale25 (make sure it is all one word) and it will be deducted for you. Sale will end at midnight CST on Nov 2nd. You might want to start your browsing with this one

Vegan October 14, 2008 at 9:21 am

That is gorgeous! Congratulations! I take it there’s a side zipper?

the_lazymilliner October 14, 2008 at 9:26 am

Talk about optimism and waiting patiently for a out-of-print pattern. Major props! I like the little wings on the sleeves. This dress has a sweetness about it that’s sorely needed now…

dudara October 14, 2008 at 9:26 am

Such a pretty dress – it looks like a dress that would flatter any shape – can’t wait to see the end result

the_lazymilliner October 14, 2008 at 9:29 am

I also meant to say this dress could work with or without a crinoline. What do you think?

Erin October 14, 2008 at 9:43 am

My daughter (3) commented that the green one is the step-sister and the blue one is the princess. :)

Toiling Ant October 14, 2008 at 9:45 am

A-dorable. But the little sleevey things would drive me nuts.

Jen ~ MOMSPatterns October 14, 2008 at 9:46 am

Ah MAN I love a shirred bustline on a dress! Congrats on your coveted purchase and can’t wait to see it when you make it :)(PS, Congratulations on the new baby, Janet!)

Little Hunting Creek October 14, 2008 at 9:50 am

I love the little wing thingies! I have loved them since childhood when Rosemary Clooney wore that gorgeous black lounge singer gown in White Christmas with similar embellishment. As the twig is bent…

Lydia October 14, 2008 at 10:09 am

Erin’s a happy miser!

Myra October 14, 2008 at 10:13 am

Wow, that would make a wonderful holiday dress in a lush rich color.

wundermary October 14, 2008 at 10:35 am

Congratulations! It is really lovely. It reminds me of Tea’s travel dress. It would make a great holiday dress in a jewel tone dupioni and a great spring / summer dress in cotton as well.But, I’d be tempted to cut the empire line into the back and square the back neckline so that it doesn’t have that step-sister / princess effect. It would be a princess all the way around.

Stana October 14, 2008 at 10:51 am

Love it in black satin!

Jonquil October 14, 2008 at 11:14 am

Ohhhh. Felicitations. And now you’ll be a guest star on Pushing Daisies, right? (do you love that show’s visuals as much as I do?)I also agree with wundermary.

lianaleslie October 14, 2008 at 12:06 pm

Ooh, that is gorgeous! I confess I’m not big on the fauxleros and pockets, but I love that style of bodice and that lovely full skirt… It’s a shame I’m committing to drawing Halloween paper dolls all this month, because I don’t think it’d be right to make something that inherently elegant into a plain old costume. Maybe I’ll draw it next month…

Robin October 14, 2008 at 12:29 pm

Oh lord, I am so jealous. I wish I never knew that this existed!

Anonymous October 14, 2008 at 12:54 pm

I believe Lanetz Living’s sale is 15% off, and “sale 15″ unless you know something that’s not on the website…

Cookie October 14, 2008 at 1:21 pm

I just bought something from Birgit, too! And what’s really fabulous is SHE emailed ME when she saw I’d added something to the wishlist at the vintage pattern wiki! Pattern arrived immediately with a cute card. (PS: it was Advance 3021, which looks like a simplified version of the dress Jackie Kennedy wore when she gave the televised tour of the White House.) I like your dress, too…not so much the sleeve cap things, but otherwise delectable. I see it in mauve.

Heidi Schempp Fournier October 14, 2008 at 2:59 pm

This dress looks a lot like the one Ava Gardner wore when she married Frank Sinatra. The sleeves are a little different. I believe hers was green.http://www.otrcat.com/z/frank_sinatraava_gardner_wedding_day_(51.11.07).jpg

Nadine October 14, 2008 at 3:02 pm

It’s beautiful! I like it in a solid colour rather than a print.If it was me, I would take the midriff-band seam around the back, put on puff sleeves, make the bodice in white, the midriff in black and the skirt in white-spotted red. An homage to Agent Sarah Walker in her Wienerlicious days! (Yes, I am tragic.)

tea October 14, 2008 at 3:53 pm

Branching off of Cookie’s vision, I see it in violet velvet.Also, WOW to heidi schempp fournier’s example of Ava Gardner’s dress. These glimpses of glamor make me excited about working with winter fabrics!

brocadegoddess October 14, 2008 at 4:16 pm

Ohh, I love the turn up detail at the shoulders! Is the size on the picture the size it actually is? If so – could I borrow it to trace out? lolI think it could be really cool in a top layer of chiffon, and a different coloured lining, or underlayer (depending on how many layers you’d prefer) to create an irridescent effect. Or even a cotton gauze for a less formal look. Yummy yum yum!!

Janel October 14, 2008 at 7:25 pm

I’m not crazy about the sleeves either, but I LOOOOOOVE the bodice and skirt combo!I see it in an orange polka dot! yummy!! Congrats! :)

Anonymous October 14, 2008 at 7:55 pm

So pretty. Lucky Erin. Please make this dress in a rainbow of solid jewel tone cotton sateen, starting with the sleeve wings in navy, sleeve bands in purple, shirred bust in burgundy, midriff deep red, dark orange belt and deep yellow skirt.Or just black chiffon with black satin belt and sleeve wings?Colleen

ceci October 14, 2008 at 8:37 pm

talking about orange… i used to think it was a weird and loud color but, from visting your site and reading your blog religiously, it grew on me. now i friggin L-O-V-E love love love it. just thought you’d like to know. :]

Robin Edgerton October 15, 2008 at 7:53 am

shirred busts can also work with prints…i used to have a 50s novelty print dress (racetrack paraphenalia) that was very close to this (no sleeve ‘cuffs’ tho). the shirred bust made me look TOO busty, but for a-c cups it’s stylin’. i think if i had this pattern and could wear it (!) i’d do it in a mini-stripe of two similar colors, like a burgundy/red mini stripe or a blue/aqua mini stripe.

Anonymous October 15, 2008 at 8:05 am

Does anyone know of a similar pattern among what’s available today?

wundermary October 15, 2008 at 11:39 am

“I think it could be really cool in a top layer of chiffon, and a different coloured lining, or underlayer (depending on how many layers you’d prefer) to create an irridescent effect”This sounds fabulous!

Jen October 15, 2008 at 7:43 pm

Today’s Butterick 5029, has a shirred bustline, but a spaghetti strap, at least it’s a start.I have an adorable 50′s dress in the collection made from pale blue print cotton with a shirred bustline. The key is a fine, narrow piping between the midriff panel and the shirring, and it also runs along the top edge at the neckline–Perfect!!!

Lana October 15, 2008 at 8:31 pm

How lovely! I can’t wait to see your finished product. It reminds me of the dress Liesl wore in the Sound of Music to meet her admirer out by the gazebo.

Amy May October 16, 2008 at 6:24 am

It’s so beautiful! I really love it. I agree that the layer of chiffon with different colour underlay would be really lovely.

Anonymous October 30, 2008 at 6:14 am

WOWi think it is very very right that you would want to make one in every colouri would toothis is exactly the kind of dress i want for my formal

CraftyAngie November 21, 2008 at 5:56 am

You’re inspiring me to make a dress instead of cleaning up on this vacation day. I LOVE this dress, specially the top.