Rant: I See London, I See France

by Erin on October 28, 2008

plain white panties

So a couple weeks ago I went roller-skating, on the spur of the moment, in [location redacted]. I went straight from work, so (as is my wont) I was wearing a full skirt and a cardigan sweater.

I get my skates (rentals, and they carved up my ankles something tragic, I'm still sporting band-aids), lace 'em up, and am about to hit the floor, when this Creepy Guy intercepts me.

"I am so sorry for coming up to you like this," said Creepy Guy, and for a minute I thought he meant "on Rollerblades," because, as you all know, I am an old-school quad-skate SNOB, but no — he continued — "I just had to say how BRAVE you are. I've never seen anyone skate in a skirt!"

I was, of course, gobsmacked (as I always am when people are bogglesomely rude and/or clueless), but all I could think of to say was "What do you think people did before 1955?" and fix him with my best Withering Look before I skated away.

But the whole thing really cheesed me off. (Obviously, or I would have titled this post "Musings:" or "Prolegomena:")

First of all, skating in a skirt is not "brave". Rescuing children from burning buildings is brave; wearing a skirt is … wearing a skirt.

So Creepy Guy (who was also wearing one of those arm holders for his iPod, which ALSO pissed me off, because if you are skating at a rink you should do the DJ the courtesy of listening to what he's spinning, even if he IS making Slurpees at the snack bar at the same time) was calling me brave because — as far as I could tell — there was a chance I might FALL and THUS: someone might, possibly, theoretically SEE MY UNDERWEAR.

OH NOES!

C'mon, people, are we all six years old?

Let us first admit that all of us know that most people wear underwear. We know this because when people do NOT wear underwear, it is a cause for comment. There are slang terms ("Going commando," etc.) for not wearing underwear; I have not heard any for wearing underwear. Thus not wearing underwear is the marked case.

Let us next admit that most people wear underwear that is, at minimum, the same coverage as a relatively modest bathing suit. How do we know this? A quick investigation of any mass-market store (e.g. Target) shows that the ratio of "bikini," "hipster," or "brief" styles of women's underwear stocked is roughly double the amount of thong underwear stocked (by number, not volume, obviously). Retailers stock items in proportion to their sales.

Given this knowledge, and the knowledge that thong underwear's most typical use case is to avoid a visible panty line, added to the evidence of a FULL SKIRT (= no panty line) we can posit that most people wearing full skirts are most likely not wearing thong underwear. (They may not be wearing granny panties, but they are probably wearing something that could be categorized as "great-aunt panties.")

We also know that these things exist: boy shorts, bike shorts, "shapers" etc., etc. So there are many more types of underwear that do not allow for indecent exposure than there are those that DO.

NOT TO MENTION (as I mention it) that a SIGNIFICANT portion of the women skating in jeans were displaying a "whale tail," which is (as I'm sure you know) the phenomenon where a large portion of the back and sides of a pair of thong underwear is visible above the back waistband of a pair of pants (usually low-riding jeans). And more than a few of the male patrons had visible boxer-shorts waistbands displayed above the waistbands of their pants.

So the ratio of underwear (not counting visible bra straps) displayed by pants-wearing patrons to the underwear displayed by skirt-wearing patrons was something on the order of, oh, I dunno, INFINITE. (I would make a Riemann sphere joke here if I knew anything about the Riemann sphere.)

Given all this, then, could we please lay off the "OMG!!!! Someone might SEE YOUR UNDERWEAR!!!" hand-wringing directed at us skirt- and dress-wearers? I know it's too much to ask the Creepy Guys of the world to cut it out (because if they were self-aware enough to know not to say stuff like this they would not, in fact, be creepy), but, seriously, people. We can wear skirts and dresses and participate in all sorts of normal activities, such as climbing up stepladders, crawling under desks to swap cables, riding bicycles, carrying boxes (up to 70 lbs), and, yes, even go roller-skating.

(I think this was a different rant than the one commenters on yesterday's post were expecting … sorry about that. I promise to rant about actual makes and models of underwear in some future post.)

Jenna October 28, 2008 at 8:41 am

See… this is why I own underwear that has written across the seat “What? At least I’m wearing them!” and “Quit Staring, Your Face Will Freeze!”

Anonymous October 28, 2008 at 8:46 am

No need to rant. He was hitting on you. Take the compliment, smile, and move on. You’ve still got it. :)

Lisa @ the Vintage Fashion Library October 28, 2008 at 8:49 am

Hitting on you yes. Creepy, yes. Immature, definitely yes.I once had a lady tell me I was brave. In the grocery store. Because I had taken four kids with me. She said that she had four kids, and never grocery shopped with more than two. Well, lady, when your cupboards are bare, you do what it takes.Weird, what some people consider brave, and I just consider life showing up.

Anonymous October 28, 2008 at 8:53 am

I think it’s just people misusing language again. So many words have lost their true meaning. “Brave” is a good example. (How about “awesome,” “disinterested,” “anxious,” “incredible” …)

Cel Petro October 28, 2008 at 8:54 am

Not to mention how brave you are for blogging about underwear!One of the things I lusted for when I was ten was a skating skirt so I could glide into the snack bar at the roller rink and the cool satin lining of the skirt would flip up. I should have lusted for skating lessons for a graceful stop just short of the bar, rather than the graceless hands forward break-the- momentum (somewhat–it still caught me in the ribs)stop of a once in a while rink goer. Lordy we did miss you, but with the artist’s rendering and links to the conference and underwear rant all is forgiven.

Ladygrande (Texas Marie) October 28, 2008 at 9:10 am

I remember when we skated in skirts, roller-skated in skirts, rode bicycles in skirts — pants were not a thing girls wore, unless they were fishing of course.

Ladygrande (Texas Marie) October 28, 2008 at 9:12 am

Follow up to previous comment: Of course we wore “panties” – and they were of the “granny” variety (as my children tell me now). I should have said “slacks” instead of pants.

frockstar October 28, 2008 at 9:14 am

How did we come to believe skirts are a hindrance to all normal human activity? I actually prefer to hike in an ankle-length Edwardian walking skirt. It offers protection from brambles, extra warmth, convenient shelter in case I’m caught short miles from a bathroom and a romance and elegance no quick-dry pants can confer. More athletic activities in skirts please!

Theresa October 28, 2008 at 9:18 am

During the dark ages wehn the first allowed womenin the Army (although segregated fromt he men) they did everything in skirts. The did their physical training in skirts. If you can fight and win WWII in a skirt, you cna do anything in a skirt.

Emily October 28, 2008 at 9:26 am

Different rant from what I was expecting… but also more interesting.

Alicia October 28, 2008 at 9:31 am

Senior year of HS I got sick of trying to find flattering pants and went for an all-skirt wardrobe. I was also head drama tech at my school and the only one certified to do most of the stuff including catwalk crawling. I painted 12′ high flats, hung lights, and climbed up ladders in a skirt. My only rule was that our own personal Creepy Guy was NOT allowed to climb the ladder behind me. No matter how modest I was he’d make a comment and his face was far too close to my foot for it to be safe for him.

Adrienne October 28, 2008 at 9:33 am

Perhaps sticking to modest dresses and fabric is best – creepy guys don;t need any more publicity than their photos on the post office wall.

marceline October 28, 2008 at 9:34 am

Hehe, this reminds me of my student days when friends would ask HOW ON EARTH I managed to wear short a-line skirts without the possibility of showing off my underwear. The phrase OH NOES was indeed invented for these situations. Is there some connection between skirt wearing and sarcasm btw? I think we are forced into it.Also, I want to go roller skating.

Woodard Family October 28, 2008 at 9:35 am

Very interesting rant. I’ve read your blog for a while but this is the first time to comment. I’ve wore a skirt or dress all my life (I’m 36)except maybe when I wore a pair of coveralls in the winter. Needless to say everything I’ve done has been in a skirt. I haven’t tried skiing yet but a friend did and a lot of people made comments about it being a dumb thing. Although she could ski better then most of the people on the hill.

Kelly October 28, 2008 at 9:36 am

Hilarious! I love your writing as much as I love your dresses.

Cathy October 28, 2008 at 9:37 am

I love it when you get analytical ;)

Veiled Glory October 28, 2008 at 9:38 am

Back when we were courting [husband and I are of a conservative religious group], he hadn’t seen much of my legs because I wore long skirts or rarely jeans, never shorts. One evening I had been cuddled up under a blanket on the couch and decided to stand up. As I flicked back the covers and swung my legs around, my skirt flipped up to reveal…my knees! I had on knee high socks and bloomers which precisely showed just my knee caps. Hubby had turned around exactly at that moment, exclaimed, “KNEES!” We still giggle about it. I learned he had a thing for knees. ;-)

becky f. October 28, 2008 at 9:42 am

Thanks for the rant! This reminds me of my indignation on finding, recently, that my cousin’s Tiger Cruise (on board her Navy brother’s ship for a week-long trip from Hawaii to port in Seattle) didn’t allow its visitors to wear skirts, for safety reasons. That baffled me, as a generally safe skirt-wearer, but also because the Navy dress uniforms for women are… skirts.

kim p. October 28, 2008 at 9:53 am

Context is everything, of course, but maybe he was just thinking that it might be extra cold if you fell and bare skin touched cold ice.Even so, he could have kept that thought to himself, now couldn’t he?

-- October 28, 2008 at 9:53 am

thanks for the great chuckle today… you “Brave skirt wearing rollerskater, you!” HAHA!!!

The Leithead Family October 28, 2008 at 10:24 am

So funny that your post followed Angry Chicken’s post: http://angrychicken.typepad.com/angry_chicken/2008/10/i-see-london-i.html

Peanut October 28, 2008 at 10:26 am

Bravo!

the_lazymilliner October 28, 2008 at 10:32 am

To think in the “old” days they’d be more concerned about whether or not you were wearing a slip…..

flea October 28, 2008 at 10:45 am

On the little girl front, I’ll note that the majority of skirts available for purchase have (usually knit) shorts built in, underneath the skirt. My 4 year old daughter’s public school required that shorts be worn under all skirts and dresses, which may explain the retailers’ choices in this regard.

Lydia October 28, 2008 at 11:05 am

This is one of your best posts ever, Erin. I have total ::love:: for it.Also, Theresa’s comment: “If you can fight and win WWII in a skirt, you can do anything in a skirt” for the win.

msubulldog October 28, 2008 at 11:08 am

Hilarious! *and I have to find out where to get undies like Jenna’s. . .

wundermary October 28, 2008 at 11:10 am

Ha! I am aware of this phenomenon, being a skirt-wearing skater, myself. The guy was attempting to hit on you. he probably wasn’t even fully aware of why.There is something inherently naughty about seeing the underwear of a (presumably) well-dressed woman. I think it is a thrilling little fantasy.Let’s face it: there isn’t anything intriguing about the whale tail. It doesn’t leave much to the imagination. But, the nice girl in the skirt? that’s a different deal. What color underwear is she wearing? What if she is wearing stockings and a garter belt? There is the potential for a voyeuristic thrill that jeans just don’t offer.

ambika October 28, 2008 at 11:22 am

‘Great aunt panties’ should be the catch phrase of 2009.

Rachel October 28, 2008 at 11:29 am

That’s hilarious! I’ve went skating in a skirt last year. It was floor length and very full. A friend of mine also wore a floor length denim. (I am 16 and she was 18) It’s actually more fun to skate in a skirt, because the skirt kind of flies out behind you very gracefully. I did fall down (because of some ridiculous 18 year old boys skating in the wrong direction!), but it didn’t matter since I had a long full skirt on. Yep, people should try skating in a skirt more often! With modest underwear, of course! :-)

Anonymous October 28, 2008 at 11:34 am

Last week, a member of our church who is an artist spent many hours on scaffolding painting decorative flourishes on an arch that’s high up above the altar. She wore an ankle-length skirt for this job.

sil October 28, 2008 at 11:39 am

Dangerously funny post while drinking coffee. Kudos, Skirt Wearer.

Anonymous October 28, 2008 at 12:03 pm

Bravo! Encore! Several years ago I switched from pants to dresses because I take care of my handicapped daughter which makes for a lot of bending over and I did not like the idea of what I looked like from behind. With my daughter, I do a lot of lifting and carrying and sometimes crawling around on the floor. I also garden. All in a skirt. I wear a long almost ankle length skirt and intend to for the rest of my life. No matter what the style is. I’ve stocked up on patterns so I never have to change.

Kate October 28, 2008 at 12:18 pm

Especially interesting as there was a time when skating in trousers (for a woman) would have been seen as daring. Queen Maud of Norway, grand-daughter of Queen Victoria herself, was carrying out her winter sports in a frock in the 1920s despite being well into her fifties. How brave! I also love this winter sports coat of hers.And since WHEN did France rhyme with pants?!

Faryn October 28, 2008 at 12:55 pm

I also rollerskate in a skirt as it’s the most fun and liberating way to do though I’m also usually wearing silk stockings or tights and I rarely fall (and when I do my legs manage to stay below my head).Here’s song for thought…and probably my most favorite:I rode my bicycle past your window last nightI roller skated to your door at daylightIt almost seems like you’re avoiding meI’m okay alone, but you got something I needWell, I got a brand new pair of roller skatesYou got a brand new keyI think that we should get together and try them out you seeI been looking around awhileYou got something for meOh! I got a brand new pair of roller skatesYou got a brand new keyI ride my bike, I roller skate, don’t drive no carDon’t go too fast, but I go pretty farFor somebody who don’t driveI been all around the worldSome people say, I done all right for a girlWell, I got a brand new pair of roller skatesYou got a brand new keyI think that we should get together and try them out you seeI been looking around awhileYou got something for meOh! I got a brand new pair of roller skatesYou got a brand new keyI asked your mother if you were at homeShe said, yes .. but you weren’t aloneOh, sometimes I think that you’re avoiding meI’m okay alone, but you’ve got something I needWell, I got a brand new pair of roller skatesYou got a brand new keyI think that we should get together and try them out to seeLa la la la la la la la, la la la la la laOh! I got a brand new pair of roller skatesYou got a brand new key

Dazzlynn October 28, 2008 at 1:20 pm

Sounds like someone needs to see women’s rollerderby! they all skate in skirts!But, as a former roller girl, I have to say you are brave to skate in a skirt (assuming you weren’t wearing tights). You can get wicked rink rash on yer bum if you fall wrong! Rink rash is a burn from when your skin skitters on the floor. ouchbut aside from that… pppffft.

Deirdre October 28, 2008 at 1:24 pm

not by volume – hee hee!

Leizel October 28, 2008 at 1:27 pm

Living in a windy city, I’ve adopted wearing boxer shorts under my skirts and dresses. They’e warm, comfy, and totally unexpected if a stiff breeze happens to come along–and why should guys get to be the only ones who get to wear them? :)

Anonymous October 28, 2008 at 1:45 pm

Lisa, maybe the lady remarking on your “bravery” (for grocery shopping with 4 kids) merely meant it as a pleasantry. She’d probably be dismayed to find her comment maligned here. It CAN be a challenge to run errands with kids. There are so many truly unpleasant – and downright rude – people out there, seems a little silly to take offense at something so harmless.

Sal October 28, 2008 at 2:35 pm

YOU are fantabulous. Excuse me while I go make up a slang term for people who wear underwear …

Lavon October 28, 2008 at 2:39 pm

I used to wear a skirt or dress all the time. I roller skated in skirts. I played baseball in skirts. I rode bikes in skirts. I did everything in a skirt. It more comfortable than pants were to me. I lay around the house in dresses. As far as being brave? Not really it just the way I dressed as I lived my life. I really do not know why I changed to wearing pants more and skirts and dresses once in a while. The creep guy was trying to get your phone number and said something stupid which he realized after he saw your expression!

kelly October 28, 2008 at 2:44 pm

How “brave” were all those claymore swinging, kilt wearing Scots?!?!? NOBODY saw their underwear (ahem)

*Sandra* October 28, 2008 at 2:44 pm

OMG faryn, I remember when that song was a hit. In those days I had the key… but now I guess I have the roller skates.

Lisette October 28, 2008 at 3:10 pm

“Panties are a secret we keep to ourselves” this is repeated to my almost 9 year old skirt and dress loving DD on a constant loop. I have fears of her growing up to be a pole dancer. but I have got to agree if I am walking around the house in a long T and panties I am more covered up than most people at the pool.

3KillerBs October 28, 2008 at 4:23 pm

Veiled Glory and Wundermary have already touched on it.The thing is the forbiddenness of looking up a nice girl’s skirt. The low-rise jeans and whale tail leave nothing to the imagination — revealing the form completely and advertising what ought to be hidden. If you’re old-fashioned enough to wear a skirt, especially for physical activities, then there’s a good chance that you don’t show off your underwear (or what’s beneath), on a routine basis. So there’s the added element of exclusivity in seeing what few have seen before.As I tell my DD, underwear should never be put on display, but there should never be any suspicion that all the correct layers are not present.And the above is perfectly compatible with complete modesty and near-complete freedom of action in a correctly-chosen skirt. There are few things I can’t do in a reasonably full, mid-calf to ballerina-length skirt.I’ll even be shooting a “Dick Tracy” action-shooting match (snubnose revolvers only), this weekend in a 1940′s skirt as Tess Truheart (since I haven’t the figure for Moon Maid’s silver bodysuit).

Daedala October 28, 2008 at 4:41 pm

Perhaps I am dull, but I can think of a non-underwear-related reason for the comment (which doesn’t make it ok or non-creepy). He may have had the idea that pants provide more protection from scrapes and skids in a fall.

Modiste1000 October 28, 2008 at 4:45 pm

Oh, frockstar, you are wonderful!Erin, you are wonderful too! Yay skirtie ladies! Oh, and skirty men too. I’m married to one, who infrequently gets threatened by thugs for wearing a skirt on the street, and who more frequently gets glared at by old ladies in the grocery store, but mostly gets approving comments for his “kilt.” Hm.

Modiste1000 October 28, 2008 at 4:45 pm

Anonymous October 28, 2008 at 5:49 pm

I’m always amazed about the whole ‘don’t let your underwear show’ freak out……………most underwear shows A LOT LESS than some people’s bathing suits OR mall-wear! I wear short skirts and you can’t believe what I get done in them!! Thanks Erin!b

Anonymous October 28, 2008 at 5:56 pm

Anonymous October 28, 2008 at 5:57 pm

Underwearer – slang for one who wears underwear. Sal, how’s that?

Barbara October 28, 2008 at 6:52 pm

Apparently the shallow young man has never fantasized about storming the troops with the legions of Scots clad in kilts. I wonder, did they worry about their underwear?I love your rants, your posts, your style. Keep it up.

EvaDress October 28, 2008 at 8:13 pm

It’s been my unfortunate experience that ‘Creepy Guy’ makes such asinine comments in effort to bring attention to himself and such remarks tend to have NOTHING to do with us or what we are actually doing. Damn Creeepy Guy(s)…

Anonymous October 28, 2008 at 8:34 pm

Or a joke my brother has often told to the nieces and nephews, “What have you got on under there?” with the reply, “Under where?”Followed by giggles….Only an uncle gets away with this one.Love your blog!

brocadegoddess October 28, 2008 at 8:43 pm

Blame the social revolution of the 60s when everyone started wearing only jeans and t-shirts/sweaters. Most people don’t know or understand proper clothing anymore. (of course, I’m writing this while wearnig jeans and a t-shirt – but only after spending 10hrs handsewing in a corset and 2 petticoats so I think I’m allowed).

b. October 28, 2008 at 8:48 pm

My favorite part of this post is, “Let us first admit that all of us know that most people wear underwear.” I have often used this same reasoning in defense of my continued refusal to wear thong undies (OUCH). “But, but…visible pantylines!” the pro-thongers protest. I reply: it’s ok with me if everyone knows I’m wearing underwear. It’s not a secret, nor am I ashamed of the fact. I wear undies and I’m proud, dagnabit!

Bitterbetty October 28, 2008 at 8:59 pm

weeellll, it’s just possible that he was worried that if you fell you’d skin the holy heck out of your knees…But maybe he had shorts on and i am way off base. But Maybe.

Robin October 28, 2008 at 9:15 pm

Oh, thank you for this, I laughed out loud and I really needed to today.

Laura V October 28, 2008 at 9:30 pm

I am not a huge skirt-wearer, although I have definitely been converted to skirts for wintertime! They’re much warmer than pants.The idea of skiing in a nice warm skirt is rather appealing….

Anonymous October 29, 2008 at 3:34 am

I totally do not “get” how some women in the US have their g string/thong showing above their pants. If/when that happens over here in Australia it is not a good thing, it is not a fashion statement it’s just gross. When everyone was wearing low waisted jeans most of us wore them with very low waisted bikini or boy leg undies/panties and the women who didnt walked around funny with one hand permanently glued to their back waistband hoisting it back up again. Interesting.Kate

frog October 29, 2008 at 3:49 am

Now that was a good rant! BTW, if you’re in Australia, France rhymes with pants. Possibly a British thing? Between you and angry chicken, I may start sewing my own french knickers.

Jen October 29, 2008 at 6:45 am

Awesome rant! Love the knickers … Keep it up :)

museum girl October 29, 2008 at 7:43 am

I love this blog! After spending almost ten years exclusively in jeans, I gave up all “pants” for skirts/dresses four years ago. Two years ago I hiked Lookout Mountain Georgia in a walkaway dress and canvas sneakers. My husband has since ceased being amazed at what I can do in a skirt! Now I want to go skating, too!

Katy October 29, 2008 at 8:32 am

Good rant..I always correlate knicker size to skirt length inversely. Mini skirts get boy-leg monstrosities and ankle length skirts get the lacy numbers.My husband’s response to the kilt questions is, ‘Nothing’s worn, it’s all in perfect working order.’

Michelle October 29, 2008 at 8:37 am

This post made me laugh! I do lots of stuff people don’t do normally in a skirt : )I can’t say for sure since I was not there to witness the said creepiness of the guy, but I probably would have taken his comment as a complement : )Def. concur with your sentiments of seeing “white tail” and boxers all the time – I’m sick of it as well. Our culture as a whole has lost so much dignity and self-respect.

Latter-Day Flapper October 29, 2008 at 8:44 am

I’ve been rollerskating in skirts. I’ve also been rollerskating in tiger costumes (with tails, which might get skated-on).I’ll do anything in a skirt. I’ve even changed the oil in my car in a skirt. Sheesh.

Michelle October 29, 2008 at 8:54 am

“Do any of your sisters, friends, daughters or (gasp) mothers look like the “female” shown in the underwear pic? My rant would be on reality v. ads.”I agree with that as well! After 3 kids under 3 and a stomach that looks like a relief map of the Grand Canyon, I’m not showin’ off ANYTHING in that region. It doesn’t matter I’m only 24…the body looks and feels much older!

Jen ~ MOMSPatterns October 29, 2008 at 9:22 am

Thank GOODNESS you werent *gasp* bike riding in a skirt! One could only imagine the wedgies one might incur and the de-wedgifying upon dismount.. the lack of grace involved in swinging your leg over off with the possibility of Creepy Guy Panty Showing; not to mention the skirt hem taunting the teeth of the bicyle chain..

Sondra October 29, 2008 at 10:30 am

I was scarred for life in my 1950s childhood by the boys’ “I see London…” persecution. In the past few years I have returned to dresses almost entirely. I have been handicapped only once when I wanted to demonstrate my head-stand to my grandchildren in their front yard, in the city, and was wearing a dress. That would have given the neighbors something to think about!

Miss Kitty October 29, 2008 at 11:30 am

This was the Most Awesome ADAD Post EVER. :-)

Hepcat October 29, 2008 at 11:31 am

Let’s not forget the Girls All-American Professional Baseball League, in which women slid into second base while wearing skirts (and full makeup, thankyew very much).

Cheetah Velour October 29, 2008 at 11:40 am

b.-’I wear undies and I’m proud, dagnabit!’I love it! We really need to put this on a bumper sticker.

Anonymous October 29, 2008 at 1:55 pm

The only thing I DON’T do in a skirt is fix the roofing on my house. I figure my hemline is 2 stories higher than the neighbors’ sightline, so better wear leg coverings. Eveything else, painting, trenching, gardening, hiking, cleaning the gutters, is more easily done in a skirt.Somebody invented “Utilikilts” so men would have the same opportunity that women do to be comfortable while working.-Shaun

oracle October 29, 2008 at 2:20 pm

I second what cheetah velour said about what b. said.And, um, I’ve got this thought, Erin maybe Creepy Guy was just kind of an Awkward Guy who thinks and says unusual things that are often misunderstood and he meant that you were brave not because you might accidentally show your underwear but because you were willing to take the risk that they might show in a world that still contains people who would freak out and even judge you if they saw them.Of course, though, you were there and I wasn’t.

Daphne October 29, 2008 at 2:37 pm

Well-ranted, though I was expecting to hear a rant about “Awareness Pink” and “Awareness Pink Print” panties, actually.

WDI October 29, 2008 at 3:26 pm

I’d say you were brave for patronising the same establishment as short-legged/long torsoed, freakishly-shaped trouser wearing poltroons do.I have passed a law, or at least I will do when given the opportunity in The New Society, that states, “person or persons wearing skirts or trousers that hang one inch or more below the navel shall be shot. With Bazookas.”I was very generous with the measurement too.

La BellaDonna October 29, 2008 at 5:05 pm

Kate, I’m in Pennsylvania, and “France” rhymes with “pants” for me. For quite a few people, too, or that old rhyme wouldn’t be an old rhyme. It depends on how flat the “a” is in a given state, I suppose – OTOH, since each word has the same “a”, I’m not certain why it wouldn’t rhyme. What would each word rhyme with in your area, if you don’t mind my asking?Shaun, I HAVE done roofwork in a skirt. Roofing, painting, you name it. However, I generally do have tights on underneath!sophisticate’s diary, I’m not certain what you mean – do you mean the waistbands of skirts and trousers cannot sit an inch below the navel? Well, I’ll be rounding up the rebels, I fear – as an hourglass, if I DO wear trousers, I wear them two fingers’ breadth below my navel. And if I bellydance, I wear skirts that are lower still. And I believe that I would ordinarily be considered a conservative (if odd) dresser.

oracle October 29, 2008 at 6:39 pm

“France” rhymes with “pants” in Ontario, Canada too. Except for when francophones pronounce it with a French pronunciation. And that, except for when they’re pronouncing it with an anglo-Canadian accent for us anglophones when they may be talking to us. In which case, they may pronounce it like “pants” since that’s what we anglos understand.*****Hi, la belladonna! Nice to run into you!

Anonymous October 29, 2008 at 9:37 pm

okayfirst kudos to all the panti-wearers out there!! double that fro those who keep it to themselves (so tired of looking at others underwear)second pole dancing could pay for college?!? that is what I tell my dh as he fusses over my 3 yr old running around in just her “georgies” (curious george underwear)lastly about visable panty lines the easiest fix for most people is buying pants that fit properly…nuf said

lucitebox October 29, 2008 at 10:09 pm

The most crass comments I ever get from men occur when I’m on my bike wearing a skirt with boyshorts under it. My skirt is usually blowing up a bit and I never make a big deal about it or freak trying to pull it into place. Based on your rollerskating experience, I suspect that you can imagine how many times I’m hooted at by leering creepy guys. They’re shorts. They’re under my skirt. They’re short shorts. Deal with it. (And you just know they’ve got a big ol’ plumber crack to show off when they get to the work site.)

dlynthomas October 30, 2008 at 9:55 am

I wear skirts all the time, and I am constantly amazed by the reaction I get when they see me riding my bike, running, skating, hiking, mowing my yard or any other outdoor activtiy in a skirt. Great come back with the “what do you think women did before 1955?” But it was probably over Creepy Guys head? He is probably still wondering what happen in 1955!

WDI October 30, 2008 at 12:32 pm

La BellaDonna, I was referring to the current ‘fashion’ of low-slung trousers and skirts. We went from hipsters (which almost looked good on perhaps 0.3 per cent of the female population between 17 and 19) to monstrosities that hang well below the hips and occasionally below the pubic area.They offend mine eyes, are of no practical value and are worn by people that would blindly follow any trend going. Shame they hadn’t heard of Heavan’s Gate.Belly dancing skirts are, by definition, exempt from my new law.

WDI October 30, 2008 at 12:33 pm

That should, of course, be Heaven and not Heavan.

Tailypo October 30, 2008 at 2:05 pm

Similarly, men seem to think that I am performing some feat of daring-do by riding a bicycle in a skirt and high heels.

Kate October 30, 2008 at 2:14 pm

labelladonna, I’m English – so pants rhymes with ants, France rhymes with… chance. But I guess that only works if you’re in the UK! Phonetically I guess it would be Fr-AR-nce. We say pants pretty much the same way you do!

La BellaDonna October 30, 2008 at 3:49 pm

Kate, so it’s … Fr-AR-nce and … ch-AR-nce?Here in this section of the U.S., it’s Fr-AHnce, P-AHnts, ch-AHnce and AHnts! (They all four sound alike when pronounced by other folks who, in fact, pronounce them very differently from the above; I can’t figure out how to type them phonetically, though! It is a much flatter “A”, however, and very nasal.)However, we have sections of the U.S. where “Mary”, “marry”, and “merry” all sound the same. We also have sections where a town in New Jersey which is named “Point Pleasant” sounds an awful lot like “PERNT Pleasant” when pronounced by the natives thereof. And folks in Baltimore, Maryland “warsh” their hands in “wudder” to get them clean.But now you know why we have a rhyme with, “I see London, I see France, I see someone’s underpants!”

Lori's Light Extemporanea October 30, 2008 at 4:25 pm

As other people have expressed, that’s just crazy. But as an exclusive skirt-wearer, I feel your pain.(And I enjoy your blog, although this is my first comment).I am on my roof, cleaning out gutters 5 or 6 times a year…good stinking grief.

rdb October 30, 2008 at 4:46 pm

I once tripped and fell down at a work-related dinner dance, while wearing a cocktail dress. Yes, I did. I’m not proud of it, but it happened. My dear colleage E. has told and retold the story of my fall so many times that the story has evolved from my exposing my underwear, to thong, to commmando in her retelling.I know for a fact I was wearing Spanx (I mean, hello, cocktail dress!) and for that I am truly thankful!And I agree, Creepy Guy was hitting on you.

atomicliving October 30, 2008 at 9:27 pm

I know how u feel. I often wear full skirts with petticote and when I am in Boston, it doesn’t seem to phase anyone, but when I am on Cape (cape cod where I live now) sometimes I get odd remarks. My friend and I were yard saleing this summer. She also likes to live it up midcentury. I was in a full cotton skirt and petticote flats simple cotton top and headband she in a pencil skirt wide belt and headscarf a la’ 50′s movie star. This woman came up to us interrupted our conversation and said, “what are u suppose to be?” and I said, “excuse me?” why are u ‘all dressed up?” says she. I said, this is how we dress. I have to say she seemed a bit ashamed after that,but when did it become odd to wear dresses on a daily basis? It is odd. tho most times people say things like ‘u look nice’ so that is always good. I like your blob by the bye. I just discovered you as i just started blogging.

A Soldier's Girl October 31, 2008 at 9:18 am

Sophisticate’s Diary- I do not have a navel. Good luck with trying to measure me.

lopi October 31, 2008 at 2:14 pm

You go tell them!

becky f. October 31, 2008 at 3:03 pm

la belladonna,I didn’t know that people ‘warsh’ in Baltimore! They do in St. Louis, too (or at least, if they — or their parents — are from certain parts of the county). The first president’s name gets quite a treatment, too… (But I moved here to late to catch this particular variation.)

Micha November 4, 2008 at 5:43 am

:-) maybe creepy guy just thought you irrisistably cute in that skirt and didnt come up with anyting more clever to say! (Guys dont always quality check what falls out of their mouths…and they sure dont calculate the odds of women wearing thongs or briefs.) Accept it as a compliment instead of “chopping him to pieces”! You were noticed!

Jonquil November 7, 2008 at 10:30 pm

I love you forever. I just wish to state that.

Jenny November 9, 2008 at 1:30 am

I was in the musical Bells Are Ringing long ago, and had to finish one number with multiple twirls in a circle skirt, followed by a spicy Ole! a collapse on a couch. The orchestra director took me aside and asked me if Id please wear more underclothing, since I was distracting the brass section. Let it be known that I was wearing not only granny panties, but also dance pants. For Petes sake, what did he want me to wear: full bloomers opaque medical support hose? And I cant help it if the horn section has ADD!

Amanda November 10, 2008 at 1:49 am

What I don’t get about the skirt-wearing thing is the number of people who assume I’m a member of some very conservative group. About once a month somebody asks me whether I’m Amish. The sad thing is that we live in Amish country and the distinction should be readily apparent to anybody…Of course, if the Amish ladies can run a FARM in a skirt, I fail to see why it’s so weird for me to pick up lumber at Lowes in a skirt.

Melissa February 17, 2009 at 10:21 am

Sorry for the late commenting, but I just found this wonderful blog and am poking through the archives. probably nobody will ever see this one, but hey.It’s possible he thought the full skirt might get caught around your legs. As a skirt-wearer *I* know it won’t, but he probably didn’t.I also wear boxers under skirts in the summer. I call them my “Barbara Boxers.”

Melissa February 17, 2009 at 10:59 am

Meant to add – I like “great-aunt panties,” but prefer “auntie panties.”

Noel Figart April 25, 2010 at 1:19 pm

I just spent the week in Disney World. I wore skirts the entire time and I go on ALL the rides! Did fine and didnt worry at all about modesty.