Ten Things I’m Going to Make Just As Soon As I Get Around To It

by Erin on December 11, 2008

TO DO picture by Amit Gupta

[great pic by Amit Gupta]

Does everyone have a list of 'to-sew' ideas? Here are the ones that are topmost in my mind right now:

1. A black cotton circle skirt (with pockets, and a contour waistband), with a wide band at the hem. I want to cover the band with either little studs, in a kind of paisley pattern (with a transfer? I don't know) or with a pattern of grommets. I think the studs or grommets would weight the skirt nicely …

2. An orange cotton shirtdress. And by "orange," I mean ORANGE. I have the fabric, I just need the time.

3. A khaki camouflage shirtdress. Again, have fabric but no time. And it's hard to be motivated to sew lightweight things in Chicago in December.

4. A dark teal dress with a pleated skirt. I have a pattern for this and the fabric, but I need to find the right fabric to face the neck with, because the facing shows. (I'm thinking Liberty, but, then again, when am I not thinking Liberty?)

5. A Duro Jr. made in five different colors of jewel-tone silk shantung.

6. A camouflage twill circle skirt with a deep camo ruffle at the hem. I know, I know, I wear more camo than the First Armored Division, but what can I say? I like it. It makes me happy.

7. Something with the crazy big print fabric I bought from Waechter's.

8. A gray corduroy dress. Wide-wale. Have fabric, but no pattern. "NOT a jumper, patch pockets" is as far as I've gotten in finding the pattern.

9. A skirt with a faux-argyle pattern done in applique, embroidery stitch, and applied ribbon. (Do I know how to do this? No.)

10. Something with that brown roses fabric I bought a million years ago. It just sits in my sewing room and TAUNTS me.

Well. That's roughly three years of sewing. What's on your list?

kylydia December 11, 2008 at 11:13 am

On my list are:- 4 bridesmaid dresses for my wedding (must be done by Oct.17)- numerous table runners for my wedding reception – a green circle skirt with daisies embroidered along the hem- a halter dress that makes me feel like Marilyn Monroe – in a good way- lots of other ideas floating around my brain

Marjie December 11, 2008 at 11:27 am

Long sleeved and short sleeved white tops from a great fabric I’ve had for years, and from which I just made a splendid dress.Swingy skirt for a lightweight black rayon with a big floral pattern.10 yards of kelly green fabric just crying for me to make all manner of things, minimum 2 dresses and 3 tops.Pink linen suit.Pale yellow linen suit.dark mauve a line skirt.I don’t know what else, because things move in and out of my imagination!

sewducky December 11, 2008 at 11:28 am

Mine is:-An Audrey Hepburn styled faux sheath on a grey rayon with a pink sheen.-A forest green nylon striped 50′s shirtwaist.-A 1960 Evening coat, dress and skirt from an unidentified (because I haven’t messed with it yet) material with a lacy effect.-A slip. Seriously.-A coat. No pattern OR fabric in mind, but my brocade swing coat is not warm enough. I’ll probably not make this.-A shrug/bedjacket Shay posted on littlegreybungalow. It’s simple, but I have to sit and actually run the 4 seams in.This is my “fancy” list. Stuff I need/want but don’t have to really have. The necessities are:-A couple good princess seamed shirts.-Couple slacks/pants/skirts for casual.-Some lounge pants to drive to and from Texas in.-The stocking, oven mitt and potholder and Hawaiian Shirt for Christmas gifts. Not a thing to go “wow” over though.

Who loves to sew, but never seems to get round to it! December 11, 2008 at 11:41 am

Ah the list. It gets longer and longer. Here’s a selection:1: little japanese sock things (the name escapes me, brain of a hen) with the fabric I have embroidered. I just cant seem to get them done – sew a seam, rip it, repeat.2: A walk away dress in navy satin (shiny side in). I have to rework it a bit, I’m never one to let things be as they are. I’m going to raise the back neck a bit and make the front a ‘v’, and its not having the bias trim.3: A burnt orange obi-esque style belt to go with the above dress.4: A black 8 gore skirt with a wide band at the hem made from a quilting cotton that’s black base but covered with butterflies.5: Cushions for my sister… these are proving harder than anticipated due to odd colours and should also be number 1 on the list, but somehow just keeps getting pushed further down!6: A coat made from gorgeous black upholstery fabric I found at Dunelm mill. I think it may, at a pinch, be ready for next winter. Or perhaps the one after that?7: Sheets – how hard is it to find decent depth fitted sheets that don’t ping off in the night?! Or perhaps our mattress is abnormally deep?And so on!

Jenny December 11, 2008 at 11:44 am

Since being pregnant has sucked away all my sewing mojo, all my sewing ideas are on my “hypothetical” rather than “to-do” list these days. Specifically:1) A fantastic evening gown to wear to the St. Louis Inauguaral Ball (just in case I win tickets that another blogger is giving away). Never mind that my baby bump will be a full-fledged 6-month belly by then.2) A Charley Harper-inspired quilt with coordinating Marimekko fabric accessories for a guest room that does not exist in my current house.3) The long dreamed about 1940′s green wool coat, lined in silk, with a matching dress of the same silk. This will have to wait until my waistline re-emerges after Henry arrives, so maybe in a year or two (or never).

Samurai Mom December 11, 2008 at 11:50 am

-Matching Cowboy Print Tiered skirts for my daughter and I (fabric in stash) – Trendy drop waist skirt out of big flower print (in stash)- Tartan taffeta Christmas skirt (in stash)-50′s full gathered skirt out of green drapes – (already cut)-Pink 50′s day dress(cut and gathered bodice needs to be figured out)- Flannel dress with peter pan collar for my daughter-Pajama bottoms.5 scottie puppies (already cut) That is the surface of my pile.

Christina December 11, 2008 at 12:08 pm

Okay, just the to finish list:1- complete the eye/pockets for the imitation monster skirt I started when I saw the original here (the mouth is a wide red rick-rack)2 Hem and face the grey 40s dress (with contrasting print on the shoulders of black and white women wearing dresses from the 50s) Add teal rick rack3 Fix sewing machine4 Remove bust cups from vintage bathing suit and patch hole.I have bins full of fabric and at least 10 projects patterns and fabric ready to go when I find the time.

Stacy December 11, 2008 at 12:26 pm

Oh dear, whenever one thing is taken off my list, five more appear!How about this list before the end of the year:2 ipod cozies (presents)1 camera case (present)1 makeup bag (present)2 purses (presents)1 purse (all MINE)At least 1, if not 2 fitted vests (MINE)At least 1, if not 2 new skirts (MINE)Maybe another holiday dress for the little princess.That’s at least ten. :)

Anonymous December 11, 2008 at 12:39 pm

Who Loves to Sew: I think those Japanese sock thingies are called tabi, or something to that effect. The fabric for your Walkaway dress sounds great. Have you seen (here, previously) my comments about my mods for the Walkaway? They make it 100% more wearable, I promise you. -Sandra

San Antonio Sue December 11, 2008 at 12:45 pm

I followed the link to the brown roses and found the South African fabric (sweshwe or Three Cats or Three Leopards) above it, which gave me that “this is where I came in feeling” because it was while searching for that fabric that I found this wonderful blog! You go, Erin! I just want to finish my lightweight wool suit with the fabulous bound buttonholes!

kagitsune December 11, 2008 at 12:45 pm

1. I just ordered this fabric at long last. Im going to make a simple Lolita/early 60s style dress, focusing on technique rather than details. I recently bought my first designer dress, and wow, am I learning a lot about sewing from studying it…2. A green twill double-breasted pea coat with a *huge* collar, black flocked paisley patterns, and hunter green fleece lining. Half the fabric is cut already, I just need to sew it.3. More warm hats. T_T4. Not sewing, but I need to crochet some more scarves. I love the one I made last year… 35. I need to sew up the awesome stretch brown/turquoise 70s abtract floral dress I cut a year and a half ago. -_-;;6. I also need to sew the ribbed green leggings I cut around the same time as that dress. _7. Id like to make more Lolita-style blouses. Id really like a black one, and another one in an unusual color like burgundy or patterned pink.8. I also need some bloomers to wear with my petticoats… ^^;9. I have yards and yards of awesome black pleather and brocade. I know I want to make a gothic-style coat with the pleather, but I know I *dont* want to make a kimono (which are rarely made of brocade, as far as I know) out of the brocade.10. And finally, I need to make that maxi dress with the gorgeous green/gold sari fabric I bought for it. Thatll probably have to wait until at least spring, though.11. Oh, yeah… I also need to create my personal fitting pattern so my projects will fit me perfectly. I kinda wish I would have done this before I started to cut out the coat fabric… ;_;Thankfully, all the Christmas presents Im making for friends are small and mostly non-sewing, so I should have time to make the warm stuff soon! ^^

Anonymous December 11, 2008 at 1:08 pm

Of course you NEED a list. How else could you keep it all in your big plan?1.Finish these trash garments: Bridal gown of 6-pack rings. Household cleaner bottles minidress. Metrolink train pass trapeze dress, pill box and boots.2.Next group of trash garments: Shawl collared tuxedo of aluminum poptops. Grace Kelly dress and bag of green fencing material. 1920′s shift of plastic waterbottle tops. Japanoise dress of red and purple vegetable netting.-Shaun MHaute Trash

Zoltar Panaflex December 11, 2008 at 2:36 pm

I have two that I’m going to start in on soon:1. Black sateen and black velvet to make a DKNY Vogue pattern for a 3/4 length coat, identical to one I saw for $3000 at Nordstrom.2. Black ripstop for a Issey Miyake circle coat – the instructions are just downright scary and horribly intimidating, but I seriously want the finished project -There are others, but I haven’t matched up fabric to pattern with anything else, because two massive projects is enough right now!

CEMETARIAN We Dig Memories December 11, 2008 at 3:06 pm

I know it’s not your size but maybe you can do a search for it……….THIS if perfect for the Roses Fabric.

Anonymous December 11, 2008 at 3:38 pm
Karen December 11, 2008 at 4:18 pm

um, this week?8 aprons out of too-cute fabric with fantastic contrast details. a set of matching kitchen appliance covers for my MIL. (I’d like a set too, but that’s like 3 years down the prioity list).a sewing machine cover for my sistera car toy organizer for my niecefleece dresses for other nieceum, last month’s list that I didn’t get to -duro jr. in brown and tourquoise printduro jr. in cream/blue/brown floral print with brown trimpurple wool jacket with silver liningpurple knit dress or shirt, copying something from my closet and getting over my fear of knitsother items that are in the pile, on the whiteboard, but I already know will be put back to storage:victorian dress ensembleregency dressnext year’s plans:quilt for barbara (no fabric yet)baby quilts for becca and rebecca’s new ones (no fabric yet)black/blue/gold star quilt for my dadquilt for my husband who’s jealous he hasn’t gotten one yet (probably will be a scrap quilt)a new comforter/bedspreadgray long-sleeved v-neck workdressgreen wool gowncouture vintage pattern (don’t have the fabric for this)charcoal swing coat with pink or red lining (don’t have lining yet)yellow/black summer dressblue/white summer dresswhite twill jacketpink wool coat for niece (looking for a pattern for this one)having a whiteboard helps to prioritize the top 5, and has helped me clean out UFOs. I still have 5 years worth of projects in plastic bins, many from so long ago I have to re-think them from scratch. fabric follows me home!

Amy B. December 11, 2008 at 4:31 pm

I have a huge before Christmas list packed with presents for other people. I’m almost done with a fabric house (based on UK Lass’s) I need to make a barn, I have three more pair of PJ pants to sew, doll clothes up the wahzoo. And then there’s the woodworking project. The list I’m looking forward to making for myself:1. yellow top that’s cut out and waiting2. courdroy skirt knocking of Ralph Lauren’s Emma skirt. 3. black eyelet top for daughter4. book bag for same daughter5. long sleeve tops for another daughter6. red gigham purse half cut out and calling to me. 7. I’m also getting the urge to make myself a house purse styled after the UK Lass doll house. With organizing pockets inside. Wouldn’t that be a scene stealer? I have enough projects to last me for years.

Gabriella December 11, 2008 at 4:40 pm

What great timing! I cleaned out my sewing room over the weekend and planned out my projects for the year. Of course, I’m planning to make, like, 10 light-weight cotton sundresses because thats what I love the most. …and I will rarely wear because fogtown is cold ALL the time. Le sigh.

Beth B December 11, 2008 at 5:30 pm

My to-do list is to figure out what to make from my stash. So much beautiful or cute fabric, so few ideas. What can I do with heavy silk gazar that looks like a stained glass window? What can I do with yards and yards of black crinkled taffeta? Sigh. I know there is “Sewing with a Plan;” I need “Shopping with a Plan.” I keep falling in love with fabrics, and the internet makes it too esay to find more of them. By the way, Erin, I was the one who put the Waechter’s listing up. I’ve gotten some fabulous silks there … which are still lingering in my stash ’cause I don’t know what to do with them.

becky f. December 11, 2008 at 6:24 pm

I only have one thing on my sewing to-do list for now — making a pattern from my very favorite skirt and then making new versions of it until I feel like I have enough. (I don’t know how long that will take.) It’s the first part that I’m not sure how to do.

-E December 11, 2008 at 7:53 pm

OK, I’ll limit myself to the stuff that is actually already traced/cut:-silk painted chiffon vogue 1030-silk painted charmeuse original design- vogue long gloves in leather- leather (green) BWOF 11-117 skirt- neck ties (2)- fur vests with hoods (2)- Butterick walk-away dress- BWOF 05-121 wrap-ish dress in charcoal silk jersey- long fur lined trench coat in slate blue twill- the vogue jacket 2956 in wool- sleeveless Patrones back-button top- A snazzy vest and skirt, also Butterick and in said wool- a(nother) pencil skirt- And I’m dreaming of something red. and satin. and vintage. Check my blog for updates :)I’m sure there’s more, but I don’t want to seem fickle ;) Happy sewing!

Tampopo December 11, 2008 at 8:31 pm

funny that you should link to the shweshwe, since my desired project (besides all the other great ideas that have now been presented…thanks, guys) is a prim fifties dress with bolero jacket done in South African fabrics. I was inspired by the contradictions in Yinka Shonibare’s awesome take on colonialism and textiles:http://www.yinka-shonibare.co.uk/yinkashonibare-work/gallantry-criminal-conversation.htmso far, though, my mother has only brought me back small swatches or a large piece of nelson mandela fabric and in my one visit to Durban, the textile district was closed for a national holiday. sigh.

melissa December 11, 2008 at 10:44 pm

A quilt. a few shirt waist dresses.

jen December 11, 2008 at 11:32 pm

i love that rose fabric you refer to in #10!i made a small list on my blog a while ago, haven’t started any yet. (of course.) it’s fun to dream though, hopefully i can get started on one after the holidays!check out my list if you want :) http://thefabledneedle.blogspot.com/2008/09/fallwinter-wardrobe-ideal-projects.html

wundermary December 12, 2008 at 1:38 am

I need some hats. I think first up will be a 40′s “Rosie the Riveter” hat from a pattern from my mom’s collection.

Anonymous December 12, 2008 at 2:39 am

On things that I’m dreaming about sewing/knitting the list is enormous, so we’ll go with stuff that may happen within the next month or two.1 – a Christmas-fabric waistcoat. I’m going to pick up two metres or so of a pretty Christmassy print this weekend and sew myself up a [very] basic waistcoat for work during the Christmas period. I may as well put a smile on my colleagues’ faces if we’re all going to have to man the ‘phones for the next two weeks.2 – start sewing up the piles of granny squares my Mum’s started crocheting. (she tends to get carried away, so there’re dozens hanging around and they’d make a lovely blanket if I can just pull my finger out and get sewing. Hand-sewing with wools’ so calming, isn’t it?)3 – finish knitting up that scarf for my best mate’s girlfriend.4 – start work on sewing an edwardian style black skirt – ankle length, broad waistband, full and elegant. I have no winter-weight skirts I can wear to work. There will be pockets if I can see a way of working them in.5 – like the skirt this is probably more of a new years thing – start knitting up a smallish messenger style handbag to throw my bits and bobs into when I’m off work.Oh and kagitsune – brocade kimono are pretty unusual, but I made one up with a gorgeous brocade – black with red roses – I wore it to a ball and got so many compliments. People were trying to commision work from me on the basis of that single garment purely on the basis of how gorgeous the fabric was. I got lucky with that, I got the last ten metres of it in the shop (apparently that was the last bolt manufactured, which given that I’ve searched for more without luck I can believe).

Liz December 12, 2008 at 3:20 am

I don’t have a “to sew” list (other than the ‘quilt’ that’s current a small pile of fat quarters but I do have an extensive “to knit” list. The trouble is that, as knitting takes a bit more time than sewing, by the time I get round to something on the list I’ve usually fallen in love with something new and don’t really want to knit it anymore!

BeckyW December 12, 2008 at 7:13 am

I love your list. I would love to see any and all of them you make. You have such wonderful ideas.I am a frustrated sewer. I have made several items for my son lately. I’ve made some pajama pants and dress pants. He is super thin and tall and I have a hard time purchasing pants for him. My sewing list still has things for him and my daughter at the top of it. She has a couple of pajama pants on the list as well as a pair of jeans. She just does not like the feel of ready to wear jeans. I use a softer jeans fabric and make them to fit her body a bit better. After that, I need to knock out some drapes for my mom. I have had that fabric much too long.I buy patterns for myself, but I just can’t seem to get to making any of them. One problem that I have is that there are no really good stores for fabrics around my town. If you want to make a quilt or an heirloom baby dress, you are in business. If you want nice fabrics for adult garments, you are pretty much out of luck. I have a pretty large stash of fabrics that I really don’t have any desire to sew.

cathylwood December 12, 2008 at 7:14 am

I’m a lapsed sewing mom — since my daughters grew up I don’t do much more than hem and take in — but all these lists are inspiring me. Actually, my younger, 22-year-old daughter asked for a sewing machine for Christmas, so I’m looking forward to rekindling any latent sewing passion I have left. Love this blog — so inspirational.

-- December 12, 2008 at 7:23 am

4 quilts with all the scraps I have… and I think I want to start making me some dresses and skirts.. you are so inspiring… I’m just a chicken…

sewducky December 12, 2008 at 7:28 am

BeckyW, if you email me I’ll be more then happy to give you a list of shops online that aren’t too bad in cost/shipping that I’ve used and some in Alabama I do go to, that aren’t always on the radar. (I live on the Tn/AL border) and hopefully something will get you sewing again!Elleelletheduck@gmail.com

Who loves to sew December 12, 2008 at 7:34 am

Hi SandraNo I haven’t seen your walkaway modifications, where would I look?The tabi socks are being made up as I go along. Made the pattern from tinfoil, then a calico which I thought was perfect. However, extreme perfectionism kicked in and now they will be lined in white cotton with the outer shell from the cotton fabric I embroidered. Do I make things hard or what?!I’ve been thinking about lists of things to make ever since reading this post! It just gets longer and longer – like someone said, one off and 5 more get added!!

Veiled Glory December 12, 2008 at 7:35 am

1.) Finish stack of cloth pads for charity.2.) Smart peter pan collared dress for my 3.5 yo niece.3.) Easter dress for me (!) Have pattern fabric.4.) More wrap skirts.5.) Shopping bags.6.) Flannel rag quilt for me (!)7.) Something for husband. ;-)Erin – Do the ORANGE dress first!!!

Sal December 12, 2008 at 7:43 am

I have only mending on my sewing list, but yours is positively mouth-watering.

Theresa December 12, 2008 at 7:49 am

I made a drey corduroy dress with a deep u-neck, back zipper, and balloon sleeves — I did not put the patch pockets on it ( A travesty, I know.) My to sew list is too long. Right now I have to make 3cigareette girl costuems and an 30s evening gown –all by Jan. 23.

Marge, Born Too Late Vintage December 12, 2008 at 7:58 am

My to do list involves scanning and listing 36 patterns in my store and of course making a couple pairs of split skirts for my daughters for Christmas. Do check your email Erin for I have the perfect pattern for that brown roses fabric. :)

Anonymous December 12, 2008 at 8:27 am

OK, this is aspirational rather than realistic though Things to finish:- Wooly hat in a black and white cow pattern for a present.- Curtains (they just need hemming)- Pink socks.Things to start:- Sweater for DH in very very soft lambswool (Im looking forward to doing this)- Socks- Cardigan in pink cotton.- Dolls clothes (knitted)- Denim skirt.- Sewing class- Girls summer dressesThings I plan to do:- Diane VF style wrap dress- A line skirt- Shirt dress- Cardigan for myself, channel style black border- Cardigan for myself with celtic embroidery.- Trousers that fit well- Tops??I want to relearn how to sew, because I can see in my minds eye what I want, but it isnt in the shops, or if it is: it doesnt fit, or its in polyester…

Ann V. December 12, 2008 at 8:33 am

To Do by Christmas:4 pairs of flannel pants (and two more for me – but those can wait)1 Christmas dress and 1 corduroy dress for youngest niece1 doll futon, pillow and quilt set1 Christmas vest for Dadassorted doll clothes1 vest for older nieceFor me later:above mentioned flannel pantsgray wool jumper2 wool skirtswrap skirtat least one sheath dresssleeveless wrap dress with fabric I bought at Mood while in NYCknit wrap dress (have fabric, know that cutting it out will make me insane)pincushions for Valentine’s Day gifts

Anonymous December 12, 2008 at 8:38 am

Take the “brown roses” fabric and put it in a hazmat bag. Then phone the appropriate authorities and have it properly disposed of.”Brown Roses” are meant only for Goth wedding dresses and abandoned trailer decor.Run now. Save yourself!

MadeByAmanda December 12, 2008 at 8:44 am

I was just thinking about my out-of-control “to sew” list today. It’s out of control even if I only consider things made with fabric from my stash. *sigh*I too want a black circle skirt. Minus the grommets. Something to wear with my crazy striped tights.I won’t bother to list the rest.

Pattern Junkie December 12, 2008 at 9:09 am

Ergh, my list keeps growing and changing (and not because I’m knocking things off of it!) Here goes:–vintage striped dress — I have the perfect pattern, the perfect fabric–basic black vest–new kitchen curtains–Hot Patterns gauchos in a fabulous orange bottomweight–70s big collared dress (I love me some big collars!)–a plaid A-line skirt. I don’t have the fabric, but suddenly I’m obsessed with a plaid A-line skirt.– several knit dresses– that Marfy pattern I bought 2+ years agoI can’t go on — it’s too overwhelming. Gotta actually SEW one of these days!

Kristen December 12, 2008 at 9:50 am

1. cover the couch2. bedskirt3. about 3 dresses that I don’t dare cut out until I see if I have any hope of getting small again after this baby.4. several ideas for super cute girl clothes that I wonder if I should make for friends now that I know i’m having ANOTHER BOY! eesh! there’s something nice about having a big to do list though, huh? Hope and anticipation are such happy things!

Anonymous December 12, 2008 at 10:11 am

Who Loves To Sew:Hi! It’s in the July 6, 2008 comments. http://www.dressaday.com/2008/07/pattern-grading.htmlI've made two Walkaways with my modifications, and they are AWESOME, and MUCH more wearable.Erin, thanks for letting us discuss this! If anyone has any questions, I’m at sandracox67@yahoo.com.-Sandra

Lavon December 12, 2008 at 10:25 am

I have a to do list. Made it last year around this time. Then I made another one in June of this year. I am good at making to do list just not very good at doing them.

Anonymous December 12, 2008 at 10:58 am

Erin,My list is too long, but I think breaking it down to 5-10 things a year would work.Also, if you really need more camo fabric, check Camo Critters by Michael Miller. I got some at a good price at The Cotton Loft online at http://www.quiltingcotton.com

Renee December 12, 2008 at 11:33 am

The best thing about a sewing list is that you can change it at will! For me the best part of the process is the planning dreaming of the perfect thing to sew. This for me is studying a piece of fabric, then measuring to see exactly how much is there, then choosing a pattern that would work with the yardage I have. The selected items move in and out of boxes or off of the shelf ( with patterns tucked in so I remember what I wanted ).Currently there is- in no particular order:1) Red cashmere wool jacket out of the Vintage Vogue reissue 2) about six summer dresses – no doubt I will change my mind of three of them3) A HUGE stack of grocery bags = Christmas gifts – which I am hurrying to finish4) A winter dress with obscenely large pockets

Lydia December 12, 2008 at 11:53 am

I’ve needed some new winter clothes since…well, since winter started. It’s December. I’m so sick of my wardrobe I could scream.Top of the list:Full wool skirt, grayWarm petticoats, 1 black, 1 creamWool jumper and matching jacket, red with brown liningWe’ll see if those happen before the end of the year.

Dilly December 12, 2008 at 12:46 pm

Wow, its so cool reading everyones lists – it satisfies my urge for nosiness and is also really inspiring.My (short-)list is:- Jumper dress for Christmas party next Thursday in black cotton fabric with poinsettias and Elvis Christmas cards on, with red lining. From a vintage pattern, but the resizing and adjusting is giving me a headache.- Vintage Vogue special design dress in yellow linen-rayon mix with giant bw hibiscus print. The packet still has the original woven label in – I was so chuffed.- Leopard print fake fur coat with red lining- Brown plaid flannel dress from a BWOF pattern.- Dark grey wool dress – pattern TBC.- I need to make some basic skirts too, probably in various shades of stretch cotton twill.- Sweaters – brr! I have some mustard sweater knit that I want to use to make a big sweater with a shawl/cowl collar, and a blue lace knit too.Oh my, and so many more too… Including lots of UFOs and far too many summer-weight projects.Oh, and hopefully my wedding dress for next June :)Dilly x

Ruth Singer December 12, 2008 at 1:24 pm

oh, the list is too long! but the things taunting me just now are:full-skirted winter coat in black woolPea-green velvet jacketBright red wide whale corduroy coat or jacketWool / tweed handbag for winterPink wool and silk summer jacket half madeSmock dress if only I can decide what fabricFabulous party dress for next weekend (yeah, right)I have started a notebook for my sewing list. Sort of DIY Ravelry for dressmaking. Someone do a Ravelry for sewing! I haven’t got the time and I WANT IT!

A Soldier's Girl December 12, 2008 at 2:09 pm

Finish up my fighting outfit. New Cotehardie for me.New Byzantine tunic for John.Finish my Ugly Fabric Quilt.Um.Victorian Gown.

tina December 12, 2008 at 3:12 pm

Hi Erin! Love your blog! Here’s my to do list: 1. Finish t-shirt quilt for friend’s mom’s Christmas present (due by Sunday)2. Matching lap blanket3. Grill cover (have had the fabric for two season and I hate the plastic one from Home Depot)4. Shower curtain5. Bedroom curtains (have fabric for this, too)6. Fall coat from upholstry fabric end7. Full-length faux mink coat (bought fabric in China for cheap-cheap…they thought I was crazy for not wanting them to make the coat there and just buy the fabric!)

Wendy December 12, 2008 at 4:51 pm

The list is so long, I don’t have time to rewrite it here. Good fodder for New Year resolutions don’t you think?

Lisette December 12, 2008 at 7:32 pm

Too many of mine are based on an actual pattern I have, so I slideshowed them wiht a list of the fabrics here: http://petitecostumiere.blogspot.com/2008/12/ten-things-to-make-when-i-have-time.html

AuntieShel December 13, 2008 at 6:00 am

I am in awe!! These to-sew lists are mind boggling and I admire all of you. Mine is dull and boring–I’m trying to make a fitting shell, after about 40 years of sewing. I guess I’ve reached the age where fit is becoming crucial. Can someone please tell me what a “walkaway” dress is?

(un)Deniably Domestic December 13, 2008 at 7:35 am

I limited my list to 10 – new and vintage creations. I also clicked my readers in your direction. Come by to read my list…unDeniably Domestic~Kelly

Sara December 13, 2008 at 2:11 pm

Oh my GAWD, where to start?! Here’s just a few ideas that are slowly sliding into the pipeline:* Mod-print A-line shift dress with french darts* Gray flannel A-line yoked skirt (starting today actually!)* Pillows refashioned from a brocade bathrobe* Kitchen treatments (placemats, napkins, etc.)* Perfect little black dress, of course :)* Bunches of home-dec and crafty stuff from Amy Butler’s free online patterns (fabric leaves!!)* Another strapless spring dress (the first one turned out SO well, I definitely want another one! I’m thinking retro print this time instead of florals)And on and on and on and ON! :D

Anonymous December 13, 2008 at 2:54 pm

Wow, I commented here yesterday and thanks Erin, your post gave me the motivation to actually get stuff done. I’ve finished the scarf and this morning I dashed into town before the Christmas shopping crowds got too thick and I picked up a simple Butterwick waistcoat pattern and a metre and a half of festive fabric. I’ve already got it all cut out and ready to sew up tomorrow – the pattern’s dead simple to fit my actual skill level instead of the sort of thing I wish I could sew. I’ll actually have two things off that list by monday!

Anonymous December 13, 2008 at 2:56 pm

P.S – Any suggestions on what to do with a yard of spare fabric? I got more fabric than the pattern called for in case of cutting klutziness.

Sarah December 14, 2008 at 10:05 am

Hmm, as I recently purchased this pattern (http://vintagepatterns.wikia.com/wiki/Simplicity_3068) in completely the wrong size, I must first learn to grade patterns. Then I must learn to pick locks, steal that lovely brown rose fabric, and make the dress out of it. ;)

goldilocks December 14, 2008 at 4:42 pm

I just made up Sandra Betzina’s 2911 Vogue… long pull-on bias skirt with peplum blouse. Used a nylon windbreaker sort of fabric… the skirt is outstanding, but the blouse is a lot more “jacket-y” than envisioned. But still, surprisingly lovely.Next is a long shirtdress with a standup collar and puffy short sleeves, in blue peachskin.And a long silk/hemp hand-dyed bias skirt, from the same Betzina pattern.And a beautiful Khaliah Ali blouse pattern, fabric undecided. Maybe more home-dyed hemp/silk.AND I am busy hand-quilting a “Grandmother’s Fan” top that I’d stashed away two years ago. Finishing a major UFO is deeply satisfying, innit?

Jonquil December 15, 2008 at 1:56 pm

I am going to do a stash-a-rama.This pattern. Silk velvet bodice, black with roses on. Green silk jacquard sleeves, red skirt (unless I do it the other way). Saved up haute coutrue trim, green with tiny bead raspberries hanging from it. Ad luuuuuuv.

Shay December 15, 2008 at 7:34 pm

Everything but the camouflage dress (I wore camouflage every day for the first half of my adult working life so possibly I’m prejudiced).

Christine December 17, 2008 at 6:02 am

A wedding dress! I’m making a simple, full-length halter dress for my wedding out of bamboo jersey. Now if only I could stop making Christmas presents and move on to the dress.

Anonymous December 23, 2008 at 11:29 am

I’m 11 years old, and am allready planned out most of my wedding last night. I am trying to figure out the materials on my dress. I worked out the design, and am going to fit myself late. Then estimate my measurements for 10 years later.