More Fabric To Covet

by Erin on January 27, 2009

sew bettie gingham

So yes, the nice folks at Sew Bettie Fabrics have LURED me into looking at their site by offering you, dear readers, 10% off with the coupon code "PINK". The fabric above is one I am seriously considering buying two or three miles of. I have a weakness for that color and abstract plaids. (I just like the CONCEPT of "abstract plaid.")

I also love their mustache print, which is calling out to be a stunt dress if ever any fabric was; I just don't have a suitable mustache-related event to make a dress for. (And actually, the idea of there being a suitable mustache-related event scares me a little, so, please, no suggestions in the comments.) Here, see for yourself:

sew bettie mustache

And this chain-link fabric: want. Perhaps to use with this pattern.

sew bettie chainlink

They have some other great prints, too, including a bike print (for those of you who liked my bike fabric a while back). One caution — the fabric is priced in fat quarters, so be careful when you place an order that you don't get much, much less than you expect!

Sal January 27, 2009 at 7:07 am

That chain-link print is fantastic.

Anonymous January 27, 2009 at 7:37 am

Just saw a mustache related event that took place in HI. A moustache party–some real, some made in wonderful shapes with eyebrow pencil. Looked fun. Would be perfect.

tea January 27, 2009 at 7:52 am

1. Yes! LOVE the chain link fabric.2. Upon your recommendation many many entries ago, I finally watched The Vogues of 1938 last night. It was, as forewarned, dreadful in the way of plot, but the costumes were fantastic. And Ive been watching House of Eliott and am THOROUGHLY hooked. What a fantastic show!3. I know you said not to, but I echo Anonymous 8:37 above. Here in Milwaukee, every so often someone will host a mustache party that includes real fabricated.

patternjunkie January 27, 2009 at 8:00 am

I love the concept of “abstract plaid” too, but did you see the site’s name for that fabric? It’s “avant garde gingham!” Yellow is a horrible color for me, but I sort of want to make something with that fabric so I can tell people I’m wearing avant garde gingham!

Theresa January 27, 2009 at 8:03 am

I think the fabrics are gorgeous but I can’t afford them :( I really want the bull dog print for this years’ dog show. I make a new dress to judge the dogs in every year.

Anonymous January 27, 2009 at 8:28 am

LOVE the chainlink. Nice color combos. But $36 a yard for cotton? I realize they are limited editions, but that’s a little crazy. Especially since by sewing for myself I regularly turn $3/yd fabric into limited edition clothing.

wundermary January 27, 2009 at 10:40 am

Sorry, I can not resist!You could take in a lovely May vacation to Alaska for the World Beard and Mustache Championships! I am sure your dress would be heartily appreciated.'s fabrics are quite nice, too.

val January 27, 2009 at 10:49 am

I have this unhealthy obsession with facial hair in design. Bad idea, Erin. I’m going to buy 100 yards of that now.And may I suggest that you make a dress out of it in celebration of Manuary?

Nadia January 27, 2009 at 12:25 pm

Those mustacios are adorable!

meara January 27, 2009 at 12:32 pm

Aww, someone beat me to suggesting the moustache and beard championships. Sorry. I couldn’t help myself. That print is AWESOME.

Melissa January 27, 2009 at 12:44 pm

Oh we are all so disobedient aren’t we Erin. You say no suggestions about mustache events and we fill the comments with them! Here in Australia we have Movember, which is a whole month dedicated to the (sometime hilarious) attempt of guys to get paid for growing a mustache. All proceeds go to research into a cure of prostate cancer.The material itself is quite quirky isn’t it?! Unfortunately though, yellow just doesn’t like me!On a side note, I love your blog, it is the only one I read all the time and you have inspired me! I have just finished a 1975 maxi dress in bright colours and am doing a 1973 style one with a big collar. And this is from a conservative pants wearing girl!

50sgal January 27, 2009 at 1:20 pm

I love these fabrics. I am on the hunt for fabrics to make curtains for the den. I am detrmined to use my vintage know how in my ‘new’ decorating books.

elizabethe January 27, 2009 at 2:25 pm

Delurking to say the moustache print is obviously meant to be made into a swanky dress to be worn at a Marx Brothers themed event — perhaps one that takes place in Paris, much like the one featured at the end of the Woody Allen musical “Everyone Says I love you”.See, not scary at all.

Sew Bettie January 27, 2009 at 3:34 pm

Thanks so much for featuring Sew Bettie! I would love to see the mustache fabric in a dress. or as a special detail, like a pocket, binding, or a collar.

Caity January 27, 2009 at 5:16 pm

As another Aussie (Melissa) has already noted, we have Movember – which is getting bigger (the event, not necessarily the hair growth!) each year. C’mon, you KNOW you want to!

Shoebox Princess January 27, 2009 at 5:52 pm

Upon seeing the mustache fabric, my brother, who has a thing for facial hair, has commissioned a pillowcase out of it. Yes, he can afford the $36 a yard (less the pink discount, of course! And THANKS!). His wife will be outraged, in a my-husband-is-weird-and-obnoxious-but-I-love-him way. Which is probably why he wants the pillowcase.

canadian sadie January 27, 2009 at 8:11 pm

movember.comThat is all. I want a circle-skirt out of it. With fuzzy brown-pom trim. And deep pockets.

Pinup Dresses January 27, 2009 at 9:49 pm

I don’t know about a dress or skirt made out of the mustaches. Something about mixing clothes and hair I’m not into.Maybe a bag of somesort… orPillows at a barber shop?

scarabee January 27, 2009 at 11:07 pm

In NZ, at the end of Movember there are celebratory fundraising balls, for which a moustache dress would be *perfect*.(also, this year’s NZ Movember raised funds for men’s health instead of prostate cancer specifically, because of a falling out with the Cancer Society about distribution of funds, or some such)

AuntieShel January 28, 2009 at 6:59 am

Love all of those, especially the chain link. I must have no imagination, for I’m not sure I would have seen mustaches in that print.

Evis January 28, 2009 at 9:04 am

I adore abstract plaid too. I think it’s good for my budget that it’s an american company, since shipping and customs makes it very expensive to order from outside the EU, which means that I won’t buy it.

Anonymous January 28, 2009 at 11:13 am

the Vogue pattern is cute! will cotton be appropriate, though? it doesn’t have the same drape as ‘Crepe de Chine, Batiste and Charmeuse’ just curious

Lavon January 28, 2009 at 1:51 pm

Love all the fabrics. Y

NOT Freddy Jones January 28, 2009 at 10:47 pm

I know you said no suggestions in the comments, but I’d like to point out that there is actually a national fake mustache day.It’s sometime in February.Love the fabric.~Fred

Johanna Lu January 29, 2009 at 12:52 am

Oh that mustache print is wicked, me want! Also I want to say that I nominated you for the Kreativ blogger award because I love your approach to everything dress related.

kittysuck January 29, 2009 at 3:18 am

Hi! I love your blog SO MUCH. I Just stumbled upon it about 4 minutes ago and then I foudn teh vintage patterns website and I’m totally tryign hard not to hyperventilate. I’m very excited about exploring every inch of this place.I tried finding more about you and what this blog was made for? I can’t find an introduction or an about you post or anything like that? I want to know!xox Max CaliforniaP.s. That moustache fabric is prolly the best thign ever invented!

goldilocks January 29, 2009 at 8:16 am

Cute, but at forty bucks a yard, it would have to confine itself to collars and cuffs!