It’s Pointy Shoulders Week!

by Erin on February 17, 2009

Atomic Print Dress

Well, two in a row make a set, yes? Check out this atomic-print dress that's up on eBay right now (from seller MemphisVintage).

Here are some more pictures, click on them to check out the auction:

Atomic Print Dress

Atomic Print Dress

Teri gave me the heads-up on this one, and I'm grateful, even though I don't think I'll be bidding. Lately I can't seem to get excited about buying vintage dresses off eBay. Vintage coats, vintage sweaters, vintage shoes, vintage jackets — for sure — but I seem to want to MAKE all my dresses. Go figure. (Although the longer I look at this one, from the same seller, the more I want to make an exception! Pockets!)

Sal February 17, 2009 at 8:13 am

It’s GLORIOUS. I wonder if I can shoehorn myself into a dress with such a teensy waist.

Libby Fife February 17, 2009 at 8:25 am

Those dresses are so fantastic. I would for sure have to stop eating to wear one, however. Can’t imagine where our societal neurosis about food came from…:)

Dee Dee Warren February 17, 2009 at 9:45 am

I could fit in the waist, but the bust is a bit too large.Does anyone know of a pattern like this? I would love to make a similar dress.

hip chick February 17, 2009 at 10:20 am

It reminds me of something the Jetson’s would wear. What was her name…June?

Birgit February 17, 2009 at 12:07 pm

Wow, that does look like it closely matches the very pattern you posted yesterday, even though it has a manufacturer’s label…And that other dress is just too lovely. It looks like it would be just the thing on a hot summer day. Dressy and casual all at the same time…

Anonymous February 17, 2009 at 12:10 pm

Hip Chick, I can’t believe you, too, don’t have the Jetson’s theme song burned into your memory. Maybe it’s just me. Anyway, “Meet George Jetson. His boy, Elroy. Daughter Judy. Jane, his wife.”

Nadia February 17, 2009 at 12:14 pm

Wow! That is some dress!

Anonymous February 17, 2009 at 12:21 pm

Now the Jetson’s theme song is in my head! Well, at least it pushed out Rancid’s Time Bomb – Black Shoes, black hat, Cadillac! The boy’s a time bo-omb!

Cookie February 17, 2009 at 1:18 pm

If you lined the shoulder points with steel, you could easily clear pathways in crowds if need be. Maybe this is a special, emergency feature of the dirigible hostess uniforms?

Kelly February 17, 2009 at 1:47 pm

I would love either one of those dresses… but darn they will neither fit in the waist or the bust… I could probably starve myself for awhile and maybe squeeze into that tiny waist with lots of extra help if you know what I mean.. But that bust would never fit. I would swim in that bodice. :( Oh well..

50sgal February 17, 2009 at 3:09 pm

Darn, I would love that dress, but I too could not manage the waist, but perhaps my diet of black coffee and dry toast and Jack Lalanne will eventually pay off!

gwensews February 17, 2009 at 4:11 pm

This is a Star Trek ball gown!Fabulous!

PZR February 17, 2009 at 5:27 pm

That is the fabric of my dreams. Swoon.

Thrift Store Junkie February 17, 2009 at 8:17 pm

I love that dress! Looks like something I would sell on eBay too. I’d love to have her link on my share your auctions blog I’ve just started. I really lovevintage shoes and vintage purses too!

Katie February 18, 2009 at 12:26 am

I heart this dress even though it makes me giggle when I think of how dangerous it would be for two slowdancing teenagers. (And I have no idea why that’s in my head!)

lucitebox February 18, 2009 at 7:57 am

This dress is wonderful! I love Ashely’s dress even more after seeing virtually the same dress so beautifully presented. Woot! Way to go Memphisvintage–great stuff all around. Gosh, I just love the Trigere on your site. If airship hostesses are allowed to deviate (or hostess during a later era), that’s what I’d want to wear. It has a capelet, after all.Once again, Cookie’s comment gets me giggling! Cookie, if you’re ever in Chicago, look me up, please. You’re too funny!Thanks for these back-to-back airship-hostess posts, Erin.

Nancy February 18, 2009 at 11:27 am

me to, the Trigere is gorgeous.

wundermary February 18, 2009 at 12:28 pm

Dang! Who cares about the waist? Most anyone could make this thing in their size. By the time you’d get a crinoline under it and with those giant, wacky shoulders; your waist would be dwarfed by comparison.This is the most fabulous thing I’ve seen in ages. You’d need some serious, pointy stilettos to go with it and not much else.

Ginger February 18, 2009 at 1:29 pm

Oh man, I went to the auction, expecting to see it already way above my price range, and there aren’t even any bids yet! And it would fit me…I’m keeping an eye on this one….

Brittany February 18, 2009 at 2:40 pm

I love how styles come back in. I cant believe we’re taking things from the 50′s! That dress is absolutely adorable, and I’m sure it’s extremely flattering too!

miss vintage love February 18, 2009 at 3:57 pm

WOW!! That first dress is gorgeous!

Chrisy February 19, 2009 at 2:34 am

The dresses are works of art! Thanks for sharing…

Cisa February 25, 2009 at 7:09 am

If anyone is interested in making a dress like this, I JUST bought the pattern. It is Anne Adams 4677. I got mine online and I’m sure there are more out there!