Matchmaking: Fabric and Pattern

by Erin on March 26, 2009

Somebody needs to take this fabric (from Pins-n-Needles' Sewing Emporium):

top hat fabric

Here it is at a different scale:

top hat fabric

And make this dress (from MOMSPatterns.com) with it.

Vogue 4503

Volunteers?

Wouldn't it look adorable with a red patent belt and flats? I love narrow dresses in linen-look fabrics. They're so elegant and summery. And I (as you know) am SO TIRED of winter. And inelegance, come to think of it.

To make it easier for you to fulfill my request, Jen at MOMSPatterns is having a sale — you save 20% off your order from RIGHT NOW until midnight EST Sunday, March 29, 2009. There are new patterns in the SALE section and she's listed tons and tons during the month of March …

Marjie March 26, 2009 at 11:16 am

What, no story about Red wondering how the one legged chair holds up white dress? She must be a ghost.

Renee March 26, 2009 at 11:40 am

I would have been happy to make just that dress from just that fabric if it hadn’t been snapped up already! gahhhh!I love just thinking about summer clothes – since it will be awhile before I can actually wear them.

Lisa March 26, 2009 at 12:02 pm

That fabric reminds me of the Mr Mort logo of the butler and his tray. LOVE it! But I’m a sucker for red…….

Birgit March 26, 2009 at 12:31 pm

Oh great – after seeing the fabric, I am stuck with “Putting on the Ritz” playing over and over in my head.It is very cute though…

Jenny March 26, 2009 at 12:53 pm

Love the pattern! Now if I could just get this baby out of my belly so I have a waistline again…

meherio68 March 26, 2009 at 2:26 pm

I’m sorely tempted – but I already have such an intimidating stash of to-be-done patterns and fabrics… I will definitely get a dressaday.com tee-shirt though – and definitely turn it into a dress! But before that, I wanted to let you know that I really enjoy reading your blog and to let you know I have picked it for an “honest scrap award”. You can find the details on my own blog: http://lebarduvent.blogspot.com/2009/03/honest-scrap-awards.htmlPS: this is neither spam nor phishing…

gwensews March 26, 2009 at 2:39 pm

Wonderful fabric! It wants to go dancing!

ZombieLace March 26, 2009 at 3:41 pm

Yay, what an adorable combo! I love unexpected combos like a sophisticated dress with somewhat wacky patterned fabric. Hope someone takes you up on this, unfortunately my sewing skills would never do it justice.

Myra March 26, 2009 at 5:26 pm

Too cute of a fabric!

Anonymous March 26, 2009 at 9:39 pm

Wonderful fabric and wonderful dress, but a narrow dress in linen fabric, to me, spells wrinkles in the lap area.

Pretty Little Pictures March 27, 2009 at 1:41 am

We are just getting into winter now, but i do think winter can have some elegance about it. But not as much as spring and summer.

Beth March 27, 2009 at 8:37 am

I can do the graphics sometime this week, set up to Spoonflower specs, and email them to you. How tall would you like the individual figures to be?

Theresa March 27, 2009 at 8:58 am

I would but the dress pattern it too small.

Erin March 27, 2009 at 9:05 am

Wow, Beth, what a fantastic offer! If you want to do that, I’ll host the files for download for everyone … I dunno about size, though. Three-quarters of an inch?

The reluctant sewist March 27, 2009 at 12:46 pm

That fabric makes me think of Lord Peter Whimsey, which is a definite plus. :)

Sarah March 27, 2009 at 3:42 pm

I find it funny that for you, Winter is an “inelegance” – I’ve lived in Chicago for a year and I know EXACTLY what you mean, what with not being able to leave the house without looking like a puff-ball and still be freezing (only to remove the layers of puff and be covered in feathers from your jacket!).Here in Australia we look forward to winter, when people start to actually wear clothes, and everyone looks so smart and polished.

Anonymous March 27, 2009 at 9:19 pm

Sarah: Similar in Vegas. In winter, I look forward to not being a disgusting sweatball.-Sandra

Greta March 28, 2009 at 8:38 pm

*sigh!* I want! But college textbooks come first… I am tired of being practical!

Solo March 30, 2009 at 3:28 am

Great fabric and a pretty dress.;DNice post.

mysterycreature March 30, 2009 at 12:23 pm

What a lovely fabric – it would work great on that wiggle dress.

alba-ny August 23, 2009 at 8:00 pm

Am I really the only person to think Its Raining Men when looking at that fabric???Id love to make a dress from that!