P-P-P-P-Pockets!

by Erin on April 13, 2009

Lisa (at Miss Helene's) sent me the link to this little number:

Woman's Day 3227

I kinda love it. Doesn't it feel weirdly postmodern, though? I mean, imagine it a foot shorter, made up in black nylon taffeta, by a designer whose name ends with a vowel, and worn with a rat's-nest hairstyle, ripped tights, and platform witch boots. See what I mean?

(And yes, I realize that it's terrible that she has those two pockets on the side where she's MISSING an ARM. So inconvenient!)

Lauren April 13, 2009 at 12:12 pm

Maybe she has a prosthetic and keeps it in the bigger pocket when it’s not in use. She has two pockets so she can keep other stuff in the little one. Very practical garment.

Deirdre April 13, 2009 at 1:32 pm

I absolutely love the three button front of this dress.That’s a pretty big pocket, there. Two pockets! At first I tought it was one pocket with the flap in the upright position.Also, I love the stitching detail down the front all the way to the hem!

Jen ~ MOMSPatterns April 13, 2009 at 2:34 pm

Thats a GREAT pocket pattern! Lisa I were just recently talking about how the older Womens Day patterns were underrated.. or just so hard to come across that they dont get remembered for their unique styles?

WgS April 13, 2009 at 2:37 pm

It does look as if she gave an arm and possibly a leg or so to own this dress.Too funny.

Cookie April 13, 2009 at 3:04 pm

I think this dress, done in a rough grey cotton, was featured in either Prisoner Cell Block H or Women Behind Bars. Having the pockets on the same side makes it quicker and easier for the matrons to check for contraband and concealed nail files…which happens several times daily.

Cookie April 13, 2009 at 3:47 pm

Oh, yes…I’m sorry to be graphic, but the wraparound style facilitates impromptu body searches, as well.Tragic.

mickey April 13, 2009 at 5:03 pm

My first thought was ‘Surely the designer didn’t put the pocket(s)there… it looks like an afterthought!I’d put pockets in the seams and leave the line of the skirt alone!

gwensews April 13, 2009 at 5:20 pm

This is a stenographer’s dress. The large pocket holds her steno pad and pen, while her one hand is busy fetching coffee for the boss! Or whatever! Like Mad Men!

Coffee with Cathy April 13, 2009 at 5:24 pm

Another example of the what-goes-around-comes-around theory of fashion design! Thanks, as always, for sharing and prodding our imaginations.

andrea.at.the.blue.door April 13, 2009 at 6:06 pm

And the pocket should be done in acid green ripstop or fur or something.

Anonymous April 14, 2009 at 3:09 am

Its a kangaroo dress! Large pocket at the back for the baby and smaller one at the front for the spare nappy and bottle?

Melissa April 14, 2009 at 8:28 am

OK, there’s a lack of pointy shoulder, but I still call Airship Hostess on this one.I cite:Sharp, pointy V-neckAsymmetrical closure with snazzy buttonsMartian pockets (I couldn’t think of a better adjective)Helmet hairNot only can she keep a safety manual and a hot towel in her pockets; they double as a brochure rack for the airship company.(Awesome hovertext, by the way.)

Anonymous April 14, 2009 at 7:18 pm

Pockets! Oh we love our pockets! Every dress or skirt I have has pockets (real deep pockets). Plus all my blazer jackets pants. There is always something to put in pockets. I always have my hands in them all the time. Like that song on Sesame Street said What would we do without pockets?