Caped Avengers

by Erin on April 27, 2009

Simplicity 1998

Sheila at Out of the Ashes sent me a notice that she's having a big spring cleaning sale this week — 15% off, use the coupon code SPRINGCLEAN to get the discount.

This dress calls to me, more for the totally adorable pockets than for the kind of "huh?" capelet. And perhaps, just a little, for the green polka-dot hat. Some day when I don't have anything better to do I'm going to wear a green polka-dot hat, just for the hell of it. And whenever anyone says anything about it, I'm going to pretend I have NO IDEA what they're talking about.

Them: "Nice hat!"
Me: [blank stare]

I think I would have to do the same thing if I ever made a dress with a capelet, like this one. Either that, or I'd be humming the old Mighty Mouse theme song all day long. (HERE I come to SAVE the DAY!)

You know what else I can't see myself doing? Wearing a scarf that sticks out from between two buttons of the bodice, like Pink Dress in the background. I think the other two women are talking about how she crashed their Kapelet Klatsch without the necessary accouterments. (While doing their Seekrit Kapelet Klatsch Elbow-Shake, of course.)

Green Hat: The *nerve* of her! And what's with the scarf?
Floral Dress: I know! But pass the Kapelet Kahlua Kocktails round again, will you, darling? I'm losing my buzz!
Green Hat: HERE I come to SAVE the DAY!

Christine D April 27, 2009 at 8:09 pm

Perhaps Pink Dress is losing some of her (ahem) “enhancing” tissues…

wundermary April 27, 2009 at 9:32 pm

Pink dress also looks like she has a wacky hat on that is shaped like a giant, brain sucking daisy. It probably made her pull that scarf trick.

Genevieve April 27, 2009 at 10:27 pm

You are completely demented! Keep it up!

Anonymous April 28, 2009 at 1:32 am

delurking to say… you are very funny! Yay! :)

xstpenguin April 28, 2009 at 2:29 am

No, no, that’s not a pink dress, that is her uniform as the restroom attendant where they hold their Kapelet Klatsch meetings. You pull on the end and tear off to dry your hands.I loved Mighty Mouse. Your inspired nonsense always saves the day ;)!Yes, the wearing of green polka dot hats should commence forthwith, especially ones that you deny wearing.Cheers,AJ

anniebelle April 28, 2009 at 5:29 am

I’ve got to quit reading your posts at 6:00 AM while drinking coffee. I almost woke the whole house up (not to mention what almost hsppened to the monitor!)Thanks for the needed laugh,Nancy

Anonymous April 28, 2009 at 6:39 am

Midori, the female violinist, was in concert this past weekend, wearing a gown with a capelet, almost exactly like this one. The rest of the dress was different, but I have to say that was the first capelet I’ve seen in many a year.

gwensews April 28, 2009 at 7:06 am

Pink dress is actually incognito as she is actually a tissue dispenser!You are such a stitch!

heiligeglut April 28, 2009 at 7:59 am

HaHA! You just made me snort milk all over my keyboard with the “*blank stare*” bit. Thanks! (oh, and the Mighty Mouse theme is now stuck in my head for the remainder of my morning, I think)

Theresa April 28, 2009 at 8:22 am

I’ve seen a lot of vintage pattern with the scarf sticking out of the bodice bit and frankly, I don’t get it.Jsut like we had International Wear a Dress Day, we should have International Wear a Polka Dot Hat and Act Oblivious Day.

Melissa April 28, 2009 at 8:44 am

Ladies and gentlemen, put your hands together for Joan Crawford and the MadCaps!The capelet reminds me of Fred and Ginger’s big kiss scene in “Swing Time.”Fred: I like your dress.Ginger: Thank you.Fred: I like the sleeves.Ginger: Oh, it’s a… it’s a cape.

Rebecca Z. April 28, 2009 at 9:12 am

flower dress’s bones have turned to some Gumby-like rubber, perhaps because she lost her hat?I only wish the green pumps were polka-dotted, too. And I’d embroider the green capelet with polka dots, but rainbow colors, not white, and paint my nose red, becoming the most feminine klown at the klatch.

Anonymous April 28, 2009 at 9:48 am

Ooh… the seams on the back of the skirt that turn into inverted pleats are tasty!

Cookie April 28, 2009 at 1:14 pm

The capelet is…interesting. I guess when you’re trying to entice pattern-buyers, manufacturers put a little of everything out there. But I wonder what the illustrator thought as they were reading the assignment; “Bodice folds downward from V-neck into short cape…WTF????”

Thoughts on Life and Millinery. April 28, 2009 at 1:24 pm

I want that green polka dot hat. And once you get a bit older, capes that hide upper arm wobbles might become more appealing…

Cathy April 28, 2009 at 1:52 pm

Reacting to the dress and not the story (wonderful as the thread is) – my mother made this dress in a deep purple. I think she had another version, too, but that’s the one I remember.I believe there was a hat involved at first, but I don’t remember it.

Theresa April 28, 2009 at 2:17 pm

Flowered dress looks dammned excited about something

Sara April 28, 2009 at 4:26 pm

I’ve been really enjoying your site. Love it! I just bought a green polka dot skirt….

50sgal April 28, 2009 at 6:51 pm

It’s funny your saying that about the hat, as I am often wearing my darling 1950′s hats (being in 1955 and all) and will sometimes get stares, which I usually respond with blank stares or BIG smiles, though I actually get more compliments than I thought I would. I really think ladies WANT to wear hats but are afraid or think they can’t for some reason. It is odd, that we have such freedom in what we are ‘allowed’ to wear and yet most people wear boring jeans and t’s all the time. I adore this pattern. I have not been able to sew for a month or so no, but promise myself in May to make at least a few dresses and skirts.

Anonymous April 28, 2009 at 7:01 pm

I like that green dress. It will go great with my black gloves boots. Oh, the pockets. Hidden but right there to put your hands in or something else in. Dont really care for the floral print; I wear solid dark colors mostly.

Jules April 28, 2009 at 8:07 pm

You are so funny..This post just made my day complete.Thanks for sharing..Have a wonderful day too.;Dhttp://www.soloden.com

Solo April 29, 2009 at 1:30 am

That was so funny.I love this post,an hoping to see more like this.;Dhttp://www.solofoodtrip.com

Linda S April 30, 2009 at 11:21 am

I actually saw some anchor on the news this morning wearing a jacket (bright yellow) with a similar look to the pink dress. My thought was wtf??!!! Funny to see this post now.

Betsy May 5, 2009 at 12:43 am

It is dangerous for me to come to this blog because I get lost in it when I need to be sleeping (I really need to be sleeping). But everything about A Dress A Day is so much fun.

Holly May 7, 2009 at 12:58 pm

you are hilarious! thank you for blogging.

Sharon May 9, 2009 at 10:28 pm

I love your stories. Wish I had a hat to send you :-)

MoreBecoming May 12, 2009 at 2:00 pm

I SUPER love crazy people! That means I SUPER love me, and I SUPER love you!! This blog is the best thing that has happened to my life . . . that includes me being born–I’ll tell my mother.

shellebelle May 12, 2009 at 11:19 pm

The…only problem I have with the green dress is that it’s the same color that they used to wear all the time in hospitals. Though it is a cute dress! ;)

Patsy May 13, 2009 at 5:04 pm

Great stories! I think little “Miss Pink Dress” just came out of the cloak closet where she has her own Kahlua hid. No sharing with the other ladies…chance of infection you know~OMG she has a doily on her head! Just like the one I wore for my First Communion! Must have been 1971!