I'm reposting this from Mary Beth Klatt, the organizer: Chicago-area folks, come out for a fabric swap next week!
Here are the details:
Time: 6-8:30 p.m.
Date: Tuesday, May 19
Location: Rogers Park Public Library
6907 N Clark St
Chicago, IL 60626
2nd floor, south room
What: Fabric Swap
What's a Fabric Swap?: We'll be exchanging fabric, notions, patterns using play money, probably Monopoly dollars. During the set-up, we'll have a little show and tell. Wear your favorite sew garment for prizes to be supplied by Erin (??)
Few important details: Since this is a swap, no money/check can be exchanged on the premises. This is important. Anybody caught paying real U.S. dollars for items in the swap will be lashed with a tape measure or forced to count pattern pieces.
What can I bring?: Any type of fabric that's at least 1 yard long, 45 inches wide (I don't want to deal with remnants), notions, patterns are acceptable.
How can I help?: Thanks for asking. Here are some specific jobs we need:
1. Several cashiers' to help establish a 'value' to the fabric and pass out Monopoly money to 'sellers'
2. Several organizers to put fabric on various tables tagged according to fabric type (silk, cotton, polyester, knits, etc.).
3. A barker to call out lottery numbers so 'shoppers' can orderly browse items in the swap.
4. Someone to organize show and tell part of the swap.
5. Foodie to round up snacks for hungry shoppers. "Shoppers" are encouraged to bring chips, beverages, paper plates, and napkins.
5. A driver with enough room in the car to cart leftover unwanted fabric to local Salvation Army.
Ok, what next?: Email marybeth.klatt @@@gmail DOT com with Fabric Swap in the subject line, let me know you're coming and how you'd like to help OR leave a comment in Mary Beth's "Fabric Swap" blog post at thelazymilliner.blogspot.com.
I have a few more questions!: Email marybeth.klatt @@@ gmail dot com OR leave a comment on her blog.
[I'm going to try my best to be there, but I have a work trip on Monday that may run long. Cross your fingers!]