For a June (2010) Bride

by Erin on May 26, 2009

Vogue 884

I was just at a wedding where the bride's dress was *slightly* prettier and more elegant than this, but it's a close call. :-)

This is definitely a wedding dress for grown-ups; I wouldn't put this on someone in her early twenties. Or on someone who was getting married at noon; this is an evening dress. I might even consider making the front ruching and back swag in organza, and putting a few — VERY SUBTLE — tiny sparkly bits in it. Possibly. They'd have to be very subtle, though, or you'd go from Grown-Up Bride to Glinda The Good Witch in an eyeblink.

(The best part, though, is that I think you could just possibly hide a pocket in that back swag. I'd have to see the pattern, but I don't think it's entirely out of the question.)

This is listed by Michelle here, and it's sized at bust 34, hips 37 — very reasonable. (It's listed for $150, but when you think of what wedding dresses go for, that's not out of line, either).

If you are a June 2010 bride and think this is your wedding dress, congratulations! And mazel tov! And hurry up, you've only got a year to get this thing made!

lucitebox May 26, 2009 at 10:20 am

Lovely pattern and the idea of a hidden pocket is great. (With that much of a swag, you might even be able to store something in it that would go completely unnoticed.) Hope the wedding was really fun! I love evening weddings.

diopsideanddiamonds May 26, 2009 at 10:25 am

Wedding dresses should definitely have a hidden pocket – tissues, lipstick, and a compact close at hand, without a bag to worry about.

Glamour Girl May 26, 2009 at 10:33 am

This is so dang beautiful, and it would obviously be perfect as an evening gown in a color, not just a wedding gown. Elegant, elegant, elegant! (and love the pocket-in-the-back idea — kind of like a reverse marsupial . . . .)

Lisa @ the Vintage Fashion Library May 26, 2009 at 10:40 am

Would’ve been perfect for the inaugaral balls, too. Gorgeous!

Trudy Callan May 26, 2009 at 11:05 am

I love the swag in the back.www.sewingwithtrudy.blogspot.com

Renee May 26, 2009 at 11:22 am

Love, love, love this gown. The back gores and swag could easily be incorporated into a number of current patterns. And the echo of that drape in the front ruching is brilliant!

vespabelle May 26, 2009 at 11:50 am

the best part: it’s not strapless like the majority of today’s wedding dresses so the bride can wear a regular bra!

Melissa May 26, 2009 at 12:12 pm

Wow, that reeks of elegance. Love the quasi-bustle look of the swag.Re: Bridal Pockets – I knew one girl who wore a sort of leg-holster thing under her skirt for essentials.

verobirdie May 26, 2009 at 12:23 pm

This is really a beautiful dress, with many possibilities.

Chantelle May 26, 2009 at 1:03 pm

I love love love this dress…. but I can’t afford to buy the pattern, and I’m not getting married anytime soon. And it might not work on someone as short as me.But oh my goodness, I’d love to own that pattern, not to mention that dress. It’s so beautiful.Chantelle

Pinup Dresses May 26, 2009 at 1:23 pm

It is stunning! I like the sparkle idea as well. Did you see the light-up wedding gown? Now that was a bit much.I have mine already- for Spring ’10! Vintage, of course.

kylydia May 26, 2009 at 2:07 pm

I’m making mine for my October ’09 wedding, but it’s not nearly as fancy as this beautiful number. A backyard barbecue wedding wouldn’t deserve a piece this pretty. Mine will be a Vogue Vintage pattern, 2902

evalyn May 26, 2009 at 2:15 pm

Lovely. I think you could get away with pearls easier than sparkles; I love the idea of organza, or even tule.

Jen ~ MOMSPatterns May 26, 2009 at 2:49 pm

DROOL. Makes me wanna get married again! Erin, please stop showing these TO DIE FOR Couturier patterns.. you’re making me have severe pattern envy!! hahaha

When Ladies Dressed May 26, 2009 at 6:24 pm

I don’t care who you are, that is one seriously beautiful gown.

Rachel May 26, 2009 at 8:28 pm

Oh. My. God.Can the illustration be bought without the pattern? Because if so I have a new poster for my wall…

the reluctant sewist May 26, 2009 at 10:59 pm

This is gorgeous — and the best part is that you could discreetly conceal some truly massive pockets in or under the back swag. Lovely.

Dilly May 27, 2009 at 5:32 am

Ah that is *so* beautiful! Just looking at it makes you feel so elegant. I had intended to make my wedding dress, from a vintage pattern of course, (getting married in 17 days – ah!), but ran out of time and confidence.Instead, I have a Vivienne Westwood dress – *that has pockets*!Dilly

Cookie May 27, 2009 at 1:13 pm

There’s something sort of futuristic about this dress. It reminds me of something Uma Thurman might wear in Gattaca. Hmmmmmmm!PS: My Massachusetts friend did NOT get back to me, so I wasn’t able to advise Theresa about what thrift shops to hit while she was a Boston bridesmaid! Is she okay????? Did she get back safely???????

Ann V. May 27, 2009 at 1:15 pm

A friend of mine was in a wedding and they were all given fabric and a Vogue pattern. She asked me to make it, but I was in Ohio, she was in Chicago and the pattern was Vogue plus difficile (no way)! I have a dress pattern in reserve that I bought 15 years ago (just in case), but I’ve changed sizes multiple times, and I’m not sure it’s going to work now.

Natasha May 27, 2009 at 3:40 pm

*sigh* How perfect. I would love to have that exact dress, except with corset top and tiny ruffles edging the top of the bodice. *sigh*

Theresa May 27, 2009 at 6:02 pm

yes, i made it to and back safely, cookie. thank you! turns out there was no time to shop anyway. The wedding was beautiful and the bride was radiant. All the bridesmaids looked wonderful — everyone got to pick the dress they liked in “victorian lilac” from David’s Bridal, so no one had to wear anything inappropriate for their shape or personal style. Nothing as pretty as this stunner!

whitewashasian May 28, 2009 at 1:17 am

hmm, i was wondering, could you use a ballet tutu skirt in place of crinoline? say like this for example: http://www.discountdance.com/frame_set.php3?mf=/dancewear/page_LEO_p1.html

flurogoddess May 28, 2009 at 5:40 am

beautiful!

Hana May 28, 2009 at 8:24 am

It’s wonderful. Not for me, as I don’t have the money, am not going to get married anytime soon and would not look as smashing in this type of dress anyway. But still, wow! And yes, I too love that it’s not strapless, vespabelle! I’m fed up with strapless formal gowns everywhere!

Anonymous May 28, 2009 at 10:36 am

This is a great dress – and because it is a simple princess cut, easy to duplicate the neckline and drapes. Amy

anthrokeight May 28, 2009 at 11:10 am

@ whitewashasian: I have worn long tulle tutus under the skirts of dresses to give them volume.They add a satisfying amount of floof to the skirt experience.I suppose the one thing to consider is if a uniformly voluminous tutu will mess up the line of the dress, or if you need a crinoline with more structured volume that is graduated or something.I have also come across those fantastic vintage petticoats with oodles of netalicious volume that are, in effect, a tutu, in vintage stores around where I live.

Theresa May 28, 2009 at 12:09 pm

Hey Viv! Sells crinoline at a good price. http://www.heyviv.com/

Oldpatterns May 28, 2009 at 12:39 pm

I am happy to report that a wonderful young lady is now the proud owner of this pattern. Thank you all for your great comments on this design!Michelle LeeownerPatterns from the Past

Jules May 28, 2009 at 8:13 pm

Love the style of this gown!=) So simple but look so elegant.Hope to see more of this.Have a great day.=)A Writers DenThe Brown Mestizo

Cookie May 29, 2009 at 12:23 pm

I am thinking of uses for the back bustle pocket. At some weddings (as seen in Goodfellas and the underrated Mortal Thoughts) guests put envelopes of cash in a bag for the happy couple. In this dress, people could slip their envelopes directly into the bridal gown. Or if it were lined with plastic and given a spritz of water, the back pocket could act as a big vase, holding the bride’s bouquet while she stands in the receiving line. So many possibilities! Why, it could practically be a Honeymoon suitcase!

Anan May 30, 2009 at 7:08 am

lol! I can’t imagine putting the boquet in the back, but it’s quite an amusing mental image. What happens when you sit down if you have a pocket like that in the back? I would be more inclined to put on in the side seam which would be axcessed from behing and under the swag. :-)

marissa June 6, 2009 at 12:59 am

oh I am so entirely in love. I cant imagine a prettier dress

Gillian June 8, 2009 at 5:05 pm

That is such a stunning gown! I wish I could a) afford and b) fit that pattern! My mum and I discussed this and decided that your no early 20s caveat needs to apply to a state of mind rather than actual age, since we know some young women (me for example) who could totally pull it off, and some others in their 30s who still couldnt.

connie B June 12, 2009 at 5:20 pm

Oh I sooooo need that pattern! See I have 2 more wedding dresses to make. 2.5 girls married and dresses made, 2 to go!

imoldfashioned June 22, 2009 at 2:37 pm

How Grace Kelly can you get? Ive seen that pattern a couple of times over the past few years and its always gone for over $200. It seems like something that wouldnt be too hard to replicate with a modern pattern and a bit of playing–but I may be too optomistic!

down with wedding industry! June 24, 2009 at 3:38 pm

nah, its listed high. what they want for mass produced wedding dresses is terrible. and now thats being used to justify all kinds of gouging. i dont think $150 is gouging. i just think its high – and its only high because it contains the W word.

Oldpatterns July 18, 2009 at 8:55 pm

In case you wondered what happened with the dress. The owner of the pattern sewed if for a 4H contest and blogged about it on sew retro. http://sewretro.blogspot.com/2009/06/vogue-884.html