A Song in Her Heart (And Everywhere Else)

by Erin on August 17, 2009

Butterick 7308

I thought I'd posted about this pattern before but a quick search of my archives (and, more tellingly, my image files) sez no. I have an eBay search set up for this, but I keep not buying it since I think I already have it. Somewhere. In a box. (Underneath another box, which is underneath a plastic bin, which is sitting on top of the one box cutter in the house that still works. Can't you tell I love moving? Also, have you seen my screwdriver? The tool, not the drink.)

However, if YOU don't have this pattern it's up right now (in B34, but the image was crappy so I used this one from the wiki) on eBay. Click on the image to visit the auction.

And — is it just me, or does this pattern illustration look like a scene from a movie musical? The lead is in the dark dress, belting her heart out about some man, while the other women pretend not to notice that someone is SINGING in PUBLIC, while chiming in on the choruses.

Sandy August 17, 2009 at 11:35 am

I love this part… while the other women pretend not to notice that someone is SINGING in PUBLIC, while chiming in on the chorusesHope you get your boxes sorted, soon!Sandy in the UK

Bella Bliss August 17, 2009 at 12:04 pm

maybe you have that modern vintage one. I know Ive seen that on here

Jen August 17, 2009 at 12:22 pm

Absolutely, this view is taken from the musical, and I can assure you that the costume designer for this midwestern dinner theater production produced in 1956 did not have the budget to buy the original pattern, but copied it instead by combining the ever popular bodice style (seen in sooooo many patterns) with the many gored skirt (also in her pattern collection).Long life and Good Luck with the packing and move too!

Zoltar Panaflex August 17, 2009 at 1:00 pm

What is coming out of the derriere of Stripey Girl?Thats a great neckline, perfect for showing off a lovely vintage necklace!!! It would look wonderful in a full skirt for an evening event! Lovely swishy sounds and a taffeta skirt (Taffeta Darling!) with a rhinestone belt buckle!

Anonymous August 17, 2009 at 1:22 pm

Of course, if it were a sonic screwdriver it would be in your pocket. Always.

Sara August 17, 2009 at 1:30 pm

Lovely dress! I hope you find the pattern.

evalyn August 17, 2009 at 1:40 pm

That black version looks like chiffon over taffeta – Id sing too, if it were mine. But my collar would be faux fur or rhinestones.If you cant find the tool, perhaps the drink is what you need – screwdriver-wise.

Chantelle August 17, 2009 at 1:47 pm

I love this pattern! I wish that these sorts of patterns loved me like I love them. The top is ok but the skirt would be too much for my height and weight.I like the idea of the chiffon over taffeta with a luxurious collar – velvet? fur – and a sparkly belt.Good luck with the unpacking, Erin.

Lizzy August 17, 2009 at 1:54 pm

I like the dress! I love the collar!

Packrat August 17, 2009 at 2:14 pm

Funny! I thought the same thing – I saw the pattern before I read your title. This is such a flattering dress. See the seam down the middle of the front and back? So slimming.Chantelle, just take some of the fullness out of the skirt and it would be great. (Im really short and fat and Id make and wear it in a flash!)

What-I-Found August 17, 2009 at 2:26 pm

All lost things can be found in your bathrobe pocket. Never fails.

Little Hunting Creek August 17, 2009 at 2:52 pm

This is actually a rare outtake from a never released sewing musical from the fifties.

Cookie August 17, 2009 at 3:29 pm

Youre right…this image is SO Im in Love with a Wonderful Guy! from South Pacific.

brocadegoddess August 17, 2009 at 3:39 pm

Either that or shes in the midst of having a vision.

Marjie August 17, 2009 at 5:46 pm

I believe you left your screwdriver drink on the coffee table immediately after you packed the tool. The drink was confiscated while the coffee table was being packed. And you will soon be singing with the ladies on this envelope. Isnt moving hundreds or thousands of miles grand?

Nadine August 17, 2009 at 6:12 pm

What, is singing in public not allowed any more? Damn.

Cookie August 17, 2009 at 7:33 pm

What, is singing in public not allowed any more? Damn. Recent laws DO allow for singing (of all types) in public, but most states stipulate that you have to be wearing this dress.

Rachel August 17, 2009 at 9:21 pm

I was thinking the Trolley Song from Meet Me In St. Louis…

Theresa August 17, 2009 at 11:34 pm

YAY! Cookies cookie picture is back!!!

Latter-Day Flapper August 18, 2009 at 2:33 pm

Oh. My. God.Party dress with flattering square neckline and kimono sleeves!!Id be singing, too!

Kathie August 19, 2009 at 6:34 am

I cant stop laughing out loud! Youre ALL too funny… what a great way to start my day. I hope you all have a wonderful day too and that screwdrivers of all kinds start appearing as if by magic where ever and when ever theyre needed… Now, thats a reason to burst into song!