Measuring Up to the Cutting Edge

by Erin on September 18, 2009

Yuwa Scissors Measuring Tape Fabric

Thanks to Helen I now have four yards of this fabric — actually, thanks to Helen I now have the LAST four yards of this fabric, because I'm mean like that. But take heart! There are other colorways (some border prints!) of this adorable Yuwa scissors fabric available at PurlSoho, and it's on sale (which means $9 instead of $15, but hey …)

It's only 43 inches wide, and I did only get four yards of it, so I'm not sure exactly what I'll make yet. (It may work for the same pattern as the infamous Target-curtain numbers dress.)

It might just be my monitor, but I think this colorway is very 1930s, especially with the old-fashioned scissors. I can't wait until it shows up … I hope I can get my new sewing room organized before then, so it can hop right into the washing machine and onto the cutting table!

Packrat September 18, 2009 at 10:10 am

Hmmm, curtains for your sewing room? The Target-curtain dress done sleeveless for summer? An early 80s wrap skirt?

Allison September 18, 2009 at 10:29 am

That magenta, turquoise, and lavender border print one would look amazing as a Stunt Poodle Skirt kind of dress! Imagine applique-ing on a length of actual measuring tape.

Renee September 18, 2009 at 11:41 am

Im guessing that by the end of the day there wont be any of that fabric left! thanks!

pirate September 18, 2009 at 12:28 pm

heh heh … Im not so far away that I couldnt just kinda/sorta drop in and make sure the fabric arrived safely. :-)And have you had your Sees Candies yet? NO??? What?? Do I have to come over and force feed you? [grin]

B a la Moda September 18, 2009 at 3:27 pm

The fabric is soo cute. i would do a retro purse.You will tell us what you will end up doing. xoxoB a la Moda

Cookie September 18, 2009 at 4:36 pm

A skirt would be great… then you could wear it with different colored blouses that match its colors. Im guessing that by the end of the day there wont be any of that fabric left! Yes, Fabricgirl. There was a similar stampede on the featured Vogue 7887 yesterday. It vanished from cemetarian (which I always want to call crematorium or creamatarian by mistake), then another one was snatched from Lanetz Living…it was a veritable BLOODBATH. And there are still marauding packs…

Sheila / Out of the Ashes Collectibles September 18, 2009 at 4:52 pm

I picture a butchers apron for while you are sewing!

Birgit September 18, 2009 at 7:54 pm

As I am looking at the back of a 1940s short-sleeve dress pattern with a flared skirt, it specifies 3 3/4 of 32 material (with nap) for the entire dress, so I think there are a few possibilities…I love that fabric – but must resist, as I just moved about a ton (only a slight exaggeration) of unused fabric stash around…

cindy September 18, 2009 at 8:23 pm

So cute! I hope you post a pic of the final dress. I am on a shirtdress making frenzy. Although I am only using two patterns. I dont have the patience to alter patterns. I just want the dresses–Now!

Theresa September 18, 2009 at 11:07 pm

Those border prints are very lovely.

Chantelle September 19, 2009 at 11:44 am

This fabric is lovely, and I agree that the colourway is very 1930s. $9/yd is a fairly reasonable price for Yuwa fabric… and those border prints are lovely.