International Wear A Dress Day 2009 — Today!

by Erin on October 29, 2009

Today is International Wear A Dress Day (Observed) 2009! If you're wearing a dress today, feel free to upload a picture either to Flickr or as a Twitpic on Twitter with the hashtag #iwadd.

If you're not wearing a dress today, that's your choice (and I fully support you in it), but I thought I'd post about some reasons I've heard people give for not wearing a dress on ANY day, and talk a bit about them.

"I can't wear a dress to work, my co-workers will think I'm [too dressed up|snobby|looking for another job]." International Wear A Dress Day gives you the perfect excuse to wear a dress to work; you are celebrating the holiday! They wouldn't give you grief about a Christmas sweater, would they? (Okay, maybe they would …) The bigger answer to this is: what do you care more about? Their opinion? Or your happiness?

"I can't wear a dress, [it's too cold/I ride a bike to work/I have to move boxes]." I have done all these things in a dress. (Today I will ride my bike five miles in a dress.) If there's a will, there's a way. These last two excuses are really a coded "Oh noes! What if people see my UNDERWEAR?" excuse, which I believe I answered with this rant right here.

"I work in a male-dominated industry, and I don't want to look too feminine." Newsflash: I'm pretty sure they already know you're a girl. If you treat femininity as something to apologize for, so will they. Do they worry that they are "too masculine"? I'm betting not. Acting like a guy means doing whatever the hell you want whenever the hell you want until stopped by force (as far as I can tell). So if you want to seem less feminine to fit in, try that first.

"I feel uncomfortable in dresses." That's not the question. (Actually, that's not a question at all.) The question is: do you *want* to feel comfortable in dresses? Then you have to start wearing them, or start trying things on until you find dresses you DO feel comfortable in. If you don't really care, then there's no problem; IWADD is a completely optional event.

"I'm plus-size." Yes, finding attractive clothes that fit well when you're a plus size is not the easiest thing in the world. But if you are determined, it can be done, absolutely. I see plus-sized women in fantastic dresses every day, both in real life and on the internets. And there's always sewing for yourself, your sewing machine doesn't care what size you are, and it never gives you a snooty look when you walk into the sewing room.

"I hate pantyhose." I hear ya, sister. I don't wear them either. I would say that unless you are a corporate lawyer or work in banking, bare legs or tights are acceptable in 90% of workplaces.

"Dresses are too expensive!" Sales. Ebay. And most of all: sewing. I've made dresses for $10, including the cost of the zipper & pattern. (And have you seen the price of jeans lately? Sheesh!)

"I work on an oil rig." Okay, yeah, maybe you should wait until your day off.

Do you have other questions? Leave 'em in the comments, and I'll do my best to answer them!

Happy IWADD!

Stacy October 29, 2009 at 9:36 am

Although I love the dresses you post, Im mostly a skirt girl. They just fit my body better – Im more of an apple shape. Plus its cold here. Tights, boots, a skirt and a sweater are my choices for fall/winter on just about every day for work.I work in a male dominated industry, too. Eventually I just gave up on the boring black slacks. Im pretty sure they know Im a girl and prove I know my stuff through my work. I dont need to dress like a man – Id much rather have fun with my clothes. :)Happy IWADD!

Jennylou's Projects October 29, 2009 at 9:43 am

As a plus sized gal myself, its not so much finding an attractive dress but rather, not ending up chafed. I used to buy cotton (t-shirt material) shorts to wear under skirts and dresses, but I have not been able to find these in stores in quite awhile, so I just wear pants again.

Sarah @ ColorKitten October 29, 2009 at 9:46 am

How about I work at home, while watching my kid, and today it was a victory to just switch from pajama pants into yoga pants. Still wearing the pajama top though. Sigh.There you have it, my true confession. Although, if I leave the house today, I will have to get into real clothes and will try and remember to go for a dress!

WgS October 29, 2009 at 9:48 am

Ive finished reworking the old dress and Im happy to say my first attempt at using a sewing machine cut the time significantly.I just wish I could find a real person to give me lessons. Ive tried. Instead, I prop the laptop on the table with tutorial pages open and try to reproduce as best I can.Sites such as yours, Erin, are very inspiring.Long live the dress!

laurel October 29, 2009 at 9:57 am

What about this one? There is two feet of snow on the ground, it is still coming down hard, and the winter storm warning is advising all travelers to being winter survival kits in the car.Could next years IWADD be earlier when it is warmer?

moiko_jacobi October 29, 2009 at 10:08 am

Like Stacey, I prefer skirts. I have a short body and dresses tend to make me look squat (Im 510). And as today is Halloween in my office, I decided to wear a bustle skirt I made with a black corset my good friend gifted me last year. Ive got a hot school marm thing going on…

Kimberly October 29, 2009 at 10:22 am

Love skirts and dresses and they make up 90% of my work wardrobe even though I work in a male-dominated industry and often have to be out and about meeting with contractors, on job sites, etc. I wore pants yesterday and felt a little off all day!Jennylous projects, check Amazon for pettipants – they have a great selection of different vendors and the prices are great!

Mikaiya October 29, 2009 at 10:34 am

Terribly delighted that although I had forgotten International Wear a Dress Day- I actually did wear a dress today!If only I could master the full-bust-adjustment, I could make my own. But for now, Im delighted that sheath dresses with empire or princess busts are back in style and available in stores- they are so flattering on a slightly heavier hourglass figure :)

Anonymous October 29, 2009 at 10:42 am

OK, I have one I dont think can be overcome. Mind you, I wear skirts and dresses when not in the plant, but most vehicle assembly plants dont allow you to wear skirts. So for the months Im at a build, I cant wear skirts and I have to wear steel-toed shoes. Hows that? –Karen

Cathy October 29, 2009 at 10:42 am

I reviewed your rant and have a question. Have you found your roller-skating home since you moved?

Susanne October 29, 2009 at 10:53 am

I just wanted to tell you that while I still dont wear a dress today (I only own one lonely summer dress, yeah, its a shame.) I have indeed turned to my one fitting skirt for today. And I found that when I think about it pants arent really more comfortable than that. (I had to pull on my jeans the whole day yesterday because they dont stay where they belong plus they pinch at the belly at the same time. I only needed to find comfortable tights.)So now you can find me buying fabric, zippers, new shoes and a coat.

Nathalie October 29, 2009 at 11:00 am

Im wearing a skirt… please tell me that counts! Id clean forgotten it was today and it seems too late (nearly 4pm in the UK) to change now. Although Im going out tonight, so I could do International Wear a Dress Evening (with one Ive made myself and all…).

Steph October 29, 2009 at 11:01 am

Doh! I forgot it was IWADD today. Theres my excuse, which probably isnt a very good one. Oh well.Jennylous Projects, I also have the chafing issue when wearing skirts or dresses, and I hate wearing hose or tights if its even a bit warm outside. Instead, I wear thigh-shapers, but I buy them in a size or two larger than Id need for any kind of actual shaping. This way, I have a cling-free barrier to prevent the chafing, but Im also not squished into uncomfortableness all day.

Andrea October 29, 2009 at 11:20 am

I forgot today was IWADD but I am wearing a skirt. As for the stay-at-home mom excuses, its not excuse! Ive been a stay-at-home mom for over 10 years and I wear skirts or dresses nearly every day. I only own one pair of jeans, one pair of trousers and no (ZERO) sweatpants, yogapants or pajama pants. The honest truth is that I sew everything I wear and Im horrible at fitting trousers. Oh, yeah, and Im plus-sized. Spanx or Assests (Targets knock-off Spanx) are great for preventing chaffing.

Marnie October 29, 2009 at 11:54 am

Well, I love dresses and skirts in theory but Im not a big fan of my legs. I have rather, ahem, sturdy looking ankles and knees. That said, I have class tonight after work (which I do at home) and I will endeavor to wear a dress for the occasion.

Kate October 29, 2009 at 12:01 pm

Im an, ahem, large size, but I almost always wear a dress or skirt. #1 reason? Vanity. I dont want everyone to see my big thighs. #2 reason? Charity. Why should I inflict the sight of my thighs and butt on society. #3 reason? My husband prefers the feminity of a dress. Its my part to promoting marital bliss. #4 reason? I feel like a slob in pants. Feeling more dressed up gives my a sense of power, even while milking a goat. Hey, if Caroline Ingalls could help build a log cabin in a prarie dress and bonnet, I can do anything in a dress too.

samsara October 29, 2009 at 12:15 pm

Yay, IWADD! I didnt even know it and Im wearing a 70s Leslie Faye Polyester shirt dress printed with big red mushrooms. But in all honesty, I find trousers uncomfortable, and since I work in an office, Mary Tyler Moore-era dresses are fun. But if I were a surgeon or an industrial welder, Id have to rethink this, thats true. In terms of warmth: tights, legwarmers and fuzzy boots or mukluks keep my legs warm all winter. And theres nothing warmer than a polyester maxi dress and a faux fur.

xstpenguin October 29, 2009 at 12:25 pm

Yay all you IWADDers. Is that a word?Im confused. I thought UK tights and US pantyhose were the same thing. They arent? Thats not the only thing Im confused about, but Im not expecting help on the rest of my life here ;-)Cheers,AJ

Winding Ways October 29, 2009 at 12:29 pm

Oh goody, a rant! Havent had one of those in a while. Theyre my favorite bit of this blog.I dont worry about the underwear problem when I ride a bike, but rather about the hem of the dress getting caught in the spokes of the bike. How do you avoid this?Today Im wearing a wool skirt that I sewed.

Joni October 29, 2009 at 12:33 pm

Another excuse Ive heard is oh, I need pockets, and dresses dont have pockets. Which just proves that youre not trying hard enough.My question is, what if I wanted a dress that sort of looked like I was wearing a little jacket over it, but not really? What would I do then?[Erin, the link you provided goes to the IWADD 08 Flickr group... are we piggybacking off of that one or is there one for this year?]

Caitlin @ Clutter Cubed October 29, 2009 at 12:45 pm

I didnt even know IWADD existed!I may have considered wearing a skirt!Dresses/skirts and I dont get along. Mainly because have long legs and a short torso, and dresses all seem to hit me in the lets make her look even stubbier! length. :PI can pull off an evening gown if I have heels, but nothing work-appropriate. :PI wear sneakers at work because I stand all day. Where can you get shoes that both look good with dresses and at the same time dont look like the stereotypical frumpy nurse shoes?I do agree that I really should get more comfortable in dresses. Hrm, gives me something to think about. Thank you.@xstpenguin – in North America, pantyhose are sheer stockings, and tights are a thicker, usually opaque material.

Nadine October 29, 2009 at 12:59 pm

Winding Ways, you need to get/buy/make a skirt guard for your bike.I wear dresses all the time – everyday if I can. I love them. But I didnt wear them when I was breastfeeding! You can probably get dresses with strategic access points, but I never had one. And I didnt wear them when I worked in early childhood education, because I was climbing and crawling and god-knows-what.

rowena___. October 29, 2009 at 1:07 pm

ok, inspired by this post i pulled out a dress from the past, a little a-line thing i made out of red union suit thermal fabric. :D im a dress-a-day girl myself, i love them and wear them as much as i can, but they arent allowed when im on the deck (union rules).

zippyone October 29, 2009 at 1:31 pm

I forget about IWDD09, but fortunately I am wearing a sort of stunt dress in a large zebra print. I am taking my costumed kids to my husbands company Halloween party. I love coincidences!

the guilty party October 29, 2009 at 1:51 pm

I didnt wear a dress today, because I worked from home and was wearing pyjamas all day. But Im meeting my mother for lunch and some shopping tomorrow and I think Ill wear the last skirt she sewed me (black and white polka-dotted half circle with a pink satin lining), partly in her honour, partly in yours :-)Jennylou, I also have chafing thighs, even though Im not really plus-sized (my sisters thighs chafed when she was a US size 4). I usually wear my dresses with tights, or spanx in summer, but Sloggi also do some longer length shorts that look pretty darn comfy. Ive yet to see them in stores but you can get them on the internet. Personally, I feel much more comfortable in a skirt or a dress than in pants. Its hard to find jeans to suit my hourglass-ish figure, and for the price of a pair of jeans you can get a whole outfit in one! As long as its not a pencil skirt, dresses etc; give you unrestricted freedom of movement, and Ive never seen uncovered knees and ankles as particularly immodest.Ive also worn a skirt while digging in my garden, and was quite miffed when my supermarket shelf-stacking job wouldnt let me wear a skirt. Thick tights and a pair of steel-capped doc Martens make a pretty formidable (and insulating) barrier. Trousers on the other hand are always falling down, and these days youve always got to worry about camel toe/muffin top. Re: with snow; dont other people find there is little worse in life than slush-soaked jeans hems, with the dampness slowly spreading knee-wards? Long boots and knitted tights all the way!

Emily October 29, 2009 at 1:56 pm

Its completely coincidental (or perhaps kismet?), but I *am* wearing a dress today! Happy IWADD!!

Anonymous October 29, 2009 at 1:57 pm

I wear dresses/skirts all the time for religious reasons. You seem to have forgotten that there are manywomen who prefer modest attire:dresses, long sleeves and knee-hisinstead of pantyhose. If you wear a longer skirt, you cant tell thedifference. I have been a sewer for40+ years and now make things for my teenage daughter. By the way, if you go to a religious neighborhood, you will find stores that sell lots of dresses, skirts,and large sizes. SJ from Efrat, Israel

Anonymous October 29, 2009 at 2:03 pm

I wore my brown paisley wool dress with the pattern matched at the seams and a camel hair jacket today. Im toasty.One can wear a dress or skirt for almost any activity. Pants are useful for repairing the roof, because ones tush might be higher then the neighbors line of sight. For gardening, home repairs, painting, skirts are comfortable and easy to move around in. The Utilikilts people are advocating pleated skirts (with lots of pockets) for men who work in the construction industry.-Shaun

the_lazymilliner October 29, 2009 at 2:46 pm

I have a dress on but I wont taking a pic on my iPhone because I dont know how. Lame, I know.

Karli October 29, 2009 at 2:47 pm

Amen! I wear dresses or skirts every day except Friday (my boyfriend likes jeans, so I force myself once a week). They are just more comfy.As an almost plus size lady, Ive used deodorant to avoid chafing. It cuts down on the friction if Im doing a bunch of walking. Just thought Id mention my weird habit.

Packrat October 29, 2009 at 3:24 pm

Good heavens I forgot! Im not wearing a dress, because Im 55 miles from home and dont have one with me.Tights in the US are colored and made of heavier fabric (cotton, wool, acrylic, nylon or blends of these). As a child I always wore tights in the winter, because I always wore a dress. It was the times; every female did. Now as to the underwear problem. Wear shorts under your skirts. Make them if you have to. We played on the swings, jungle gyms, played kickball, ran, jumped rope, rode our bikes, did cartwheels, etc. Grandmas yelled at us for being immodest, but we had on shorts. As to bike riding – I do recommend fenders on the bike. (That is just good sense. Keeps mud and dirty water from splashing up on you.)

Serencymru October 29, 2009 at 3:30 pm

The rant about skating in a skirt sent me back to circa 1965 when my sister and I went to the ice rink every weekend (aunt and uncle worked there)and skated in very cute skating skirts, thank you, which were worn with very heavy tights.

belphebe October 29, 2009 at 3:50 pm

I did where a dress today even though I had forgotten it was IWADD. I wont be uploading a photo to Flickr though because Im not taking any pictures.Im plus-sized so I make my own dresses. I also make shorts to wear under the dresses. I just use a comfortable-fitting elastic-waist pants pattern and make shorts instead of pants. And since I do sew, I make sure I add pockets to all my dresses now!So far I have not gotten creative with my shorts/pettipants, but I am considering adding lace to the legs, or frills on the bum, or other such embellishments, just to surprise people if they ever do end up seeing the shorts. Gotta have some fun in life.

Vireya October 29, 2009 at 4:01 pm

I actually wore a dress on Thursday, without realising it was IWADD. I wish I had taken a photo. Happy IWADD to everyone still in Thursday.

KibitzKnitz October 29, 2009 at 4:10 pm

Sorry I missed today. Ill be celebrating tomorrow when Im in the office (instead of in the muddy field, gleaning) and can get all dolled up… Cant wait!!

KibitzKnitz October 29, 2009 at 4:10 pm

Lorem Ipsum October 29, 2009 at 4:22 pm

I wore my Power Dress today (a chic little shirtdress *with* pockets) because I was bidding on a painting at Sothebys, London… by telephone! My colleagues thought it was pretty hilarious that the Art Curator dressed up for a phone call, but I was so nervous (my first auction, other than personal shopping on eBay for parts for my Singer 403A) that I knew I couldnt carry it off without the emotional support that dress. And it worked!

"Meg" October 29, 2009 at 4:26 pm

Im a guy who crossdresses ~ Ill wear a dress to work tomorrow. Its almost Halloween. I do know Ill take a ribbing for the next five years, but Ill do it. :)

Denise@thebluegardenia.com October 29, 2009 at 4:28 pm

Darn. And here I sit in my yoga pants.

CEMETARIAN We Dig Memories October 29, 2009 at 5:07 pm

I wore a skirt today, which is a big change from jeans or yoga pants…….but there was a reason. I have this one leftover broomstick skirt that I can wear with a little camisole and a blouse……….today was my biannual Dermatology appointment. And being red headed and freckled (or what my Dr calls Celtic) skinned…….I am paying for the years (60+) that I didnt listen to my grandmother wear that damn bonnet and long sleeves, not to mention shorts and bikinis……so I have to wear something that doesnt touch most places when I leave there. And this old broomstick is just perfect. Ironic that it was on Wear a Dress Day. LOL

shlowzikins October 29, 2009 at 5:46 pm

Off topic I guess, but I was wondering why tights would be unacceptable for a conservative workplace? I wear skirts and dresses most of the time and in the winter I always wear thick wooly sweater tights. Im pretty sure Ive never worn pantyhose, and I cant imagine why they would be more appropriate than tights in a neutral color. If anything I would think pantyhose would be less appropriate for work because I think of them as being slinky and sexy (and surely prone to runs?) whereas tights are more of a practical necessity. Anyway, can anyone tell me when and why I should be wearing pantyhose instead of tights?

Penny October 29, 2009 at 5:47 pm

i LOVE broomstick skirts, always were my favorite. Did not wear a skirt today, my springy runners dont go with dresses.. Re the pettipants.. I have a pattern and sure others do to for pettipants dated 1969 by the early Stretch and Sew company… that might be cheaper than buying them… This day is now marked on my calendar and next year will make a profound effort to wear something other than pants! 100 kilometre winds today so a skirt or dress would not be suitable in southern Alberta!

Liz October 29, 2009 at 5:58 pm

Oh bother, I forgot today was IWADD! Still Ive been wearing a skirt all week – does that count?

emilyjayne October 29, 2009 at 6:14 pm

Although Ive been at home sick most of the day in my Jammies, I did have a meeting this evening and wore a dress with pride – Navy, Purple and Mustard floral-print Maxi Dress which I wore with Brown boots, a vintage broach and a smile!I wear dresses (or at least a skirt!)pretty much every day which probably has a lot ot do with the fact that I have a Romantic Style Personality, but believe me, nobody ever raises eyebrows at me wearing a dress as they are completely used to it. Hope everyone else enjoyed their dresses today!Oh, and help out an ignorant Brit – whats the difference between tights and pantyhose? US Vocab failure on my part!

sixties sewer October 29, 2009 at 6:24 pm

I always feel happiest in a dress. Today I am wearing a black and white knit made from the much coveted pattern, Vogue 1610, a Dian Von Furstenberg from the 70s. It is a wrap dress and thus fits me in the fat and thin phases, which can vary day to day!

lucitebox October 29, 2009 at 6:55 pm

I walk dogs for most of my day. They are messy creatures, particularly when you live on a rain planet as I do. (Its been raining how many days straight in Chicago now? Ive lost count.)Therefore, no dress for me and Im a HUGE fan of the dress. I will wear one this weekend when I go out for my martini(s). See you at Wee Gees!

Joni October 29, 2009 at 6:56 pm

I can honestly say that I am baffled by people who say that they dont wear dresses because they dont flatter their figure. Arent there, like, eight million styles of dresses? I may not be able to pull off the slinky fitted sheath (my sister can, curse her) but I can work a duro or a shirtdress.P.S. Today its a duro.

tampopo October 29, 2009 at 8:36 pm

Yay iwadd! I forgot too, despite joyfully reading your reminder the other day. I always wear dresses to work anyway, but I would have worn a specialler one if I had remembered. Today was a vintage black military styled number, with a black and white striped top underneath for patterning ( and thick-ish tights for the oncoming Canadian November).Oh, and I guess my black patent penny loafers would rate on the the Dress-a-day meter as well!

Chantelle October 29, 2009 at 9:20 pm

I would have loved to wear a dress but I got up today and stayed in my PJs. If Id left the house I would have dressed in a dress.

Susan October 29, 2009 at 9:30 pm

Im wearing a skirt, so do I get partial credit? Im nursing, so attractive dresses are hard to come by. To be honest, skirts seem to flatter me more than dresses, but I still love admiring all of your lovely dresses on your blog!

Theresa October 29, 2009 at 10:51 pm

Pemguin – tight = opaque….pantyhose = sheer. Does that help. i converted a always wear pants wearer to a sometimes wears skirts wearer at work. When my children were little I wore leggings under semi sheer broomstick skirts exclusively. The were perfect for toddler chasing and face wiping. Everything I can do in pants I can do better in skirts and dresses.

Anonymous October 29, 2009 at 11:08 pm

Oh, dear, I forgot! I didnt actually leave the house today, anyway. I like dresses, but many of them are out of circulation for the duration. My baby is 5 months old. He likes to eat. A lot. I have several nursing dresses, and I always like wearing them, but they dont come with pockets.

Anonymous October 29, 2009 at 11:55 pm

For anti-chafing protection, my daughter loves this stuff: New Balance BodyGlide Anti-Chafing Stick.http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002OCA2GOWell, I didnt wear a dress today, but do have a hot new number my husband cant take his eyes off. Must wear it again soon. Cant beat a dress!

Viola October 30, 2009 at 12:40 am

I, too, can only second the Body Glide Stick. Its changed my whole world of skirt and dress wearing! I cannot say enough, that I tried almost anything else, like powders, vaseline, deodorant. Nothing works like that stick. Work like a charm.I was not wearing a dress, should have been though. Must find/sew dresses that fit winter weather…. =)

Jamie October 30, 2009 at 3:34 am

Sigh. I wanted so badly to participate this year, I had a dress and everything…and then we got a hunormous blizzard here in CO and I ended up not leaving the house today. Perhaps Ill do it next Thursday and call it International Wear A Dress Day (Observed.)

Hana October 30, 2009 at 4:33 am

I did not wear a dress yesterday, because I was offline for quite some time and did not learn about it until yesterday. :-( But I shall wear a dress today…

Beebo October 30, 2009 at 4:46 am

I wore a dress yesterday, but with jeans underneath. I always find it difficult to get my footwear right with dresses. I love wearing dresses, but like them causal and always end up with the wring boots/shoes etc. I have been inspired by you to start sewing and have a fab shift dress pattern arriving and have some fab material awaiting. Heres to me wearing more dresses, albeit with jeans/leggings underneath (Its just too cold in Scotland).

Liz October 30, 2009 at 5:06 am

I donned a dress on IWADD then realized three of the buttons were broken and changed to a skirt, because broken buttons is the kind of detail that would have made me self conscious all day.So I was with you in spirit.You have a lot of readers who seem ill at ease with dresses! Must be an opposites attract thing. I guess I wouldnt read a blog about wearing pants (my usual uniform!)

Come again October 30, 2009 at 5:10 am

Hi there,Theres a new scandinavian based second hand shop online. Youll find it at; http://www.comeagain.secheck it out! /Lina

Katie October 30, 2009 at 6:22 am

Im another who was in a skirt rather than a dress, and that was only because Ive been wearing them exclusively since February (the aim is to get through a year, then Im thinking Ill mostly wear skirts/dresses) I was going to comment that I dont have any dresses appropriate for work (as a primary teacher) until I get around to making some, but Ive realised that I have one or two that would be okay.On the tights/pantyhose/bare legs front, as I hate wearing both tights and pantyhose (I think it has to do with being tall – I spend far too much of my day hitching them up) and its been too cold this (Australian) Winter to go bare-legged, Ive taken to wearing long (knee high or longer) socks in funky colours – mostly striped, but some Argyle, and one pair with sheet music. Ive become known for them, and Im going to miss them over the Summer.

Chana Rochel October 30, 2009 at 6:55 am

I also only wear dresses and skirts for religious reasons. Pants arent socially acceptable for women in my community..shlowzkins: tights are for a casual look, sheer hosiery is more appropriate for a very formal occasion like a wedding, with a gown, elegant dress, and heels..

Sea Urchin October 30, 2009 at 7:36 am

I wore a cozy (and cheap) sweater dress from target with knee-high boots and warm tights, and went ahead and went raking leaves in it! I got a comment from my mother in law (Youre all dressed up to RAKE LEAVES?) but it ended up being the perfect outfit for it! The long boots meant no dirty/soggy jeans hems, and the dress was sufficiently warm for when I was just starting off, but still let enough air through that I didnt get incredibly sweaty when the work got hard.I dont have a flickr or twitter account at the moment, though, so itll go unposted anywhere other than here. But it was observed!

Fiona October 30, 2009 at 7:40 am

Im wearing a dress today, but then I always do! Todays dress is black silk with ruffles around the neck, worn with vintage jet beads, black opaque tights and black patent heels.

Latter-Day Flapper October 30, 2009 at 8:00 am

I always wear dresses. I own one pair of jeans that I wear on camping trips, and thats it.I routinely have to move boxes and climb metal movable stairs at work, and I do it in a dress or skirt and girly shoes (flats or low heels) all the time. You can do almost anything in a dress/skirt provided its not too windy and youve had a little practice.

Anonymous October 30, 2009 at 8:46 am

Um, I dont know what kind of bike you have, or how far you ride it, but they dont sell step-though bikes in my size at the local bike shop. Id have to find a bike shop that sells Dutch city bikes in a big sizes, as Dutch women tend to be even taller than me. Normally, the only bikes sold with step through frames are for women 5-4 and under.So… Ill continue to do my hilly 6 mile commuting rides in cycling shorts, with a dress rolled up in the panniers if I want to wear one. No way am I hurling my leg up over the saddle while wearing a dress.

Anonymous October 30, 2009 at 8:52 am

I love the idea of dresses, but Im short-legged, and most of the chairs in my office building are just a little too tall for me. So I cant cross my legs comfortably while sitting in them, and the effort it takes just to keep my legs together while sitting in public gets tiring. So pants for me! But bravo to you successful dress wearers.

Jen October 30, 2009 at 9:26 am

just a note on the tights/stockings subject: As a tall gal, I would suggest traditional leggings worn with boots and socks–its got the tights look without the tights pull and sag.my dress for the week:black Isaac Miz. vintage style from Target, black wide belt, eggplant tights and tall black boots(it had a Wonder Woman effect on me)

Lynn October 30, 2009 at 9:51 am

I have to confess, Im guilty of people will think Im too dressed up and pants are more comfortable but I do like dresses and even more than wearing them I like to sew them so I wear them as an excuse for sewing them.

Sheila / Out of the Ashes Collectibles October 30, 2009 at 10:15 am

Can I switch to a sundress later today? Its too cold this morning and Im still in my jammies!

Sarah October 30, 2009 at 10:26 am

Long-ish dresses with boots are my favorite get-up and Ill certainly wear one today! Jennilous projects: I have two solutions for chafing. I make pettipants in silk charmeuse, which is comfortable in most weather, and feels great. Theyre cut in two simple pieces and are a very good reason to learn to sew if you dont already. When its just too hot for pants, theres a lubricant called body glide that comes in sticks like deodorant and can be gotten at big drug stores. I believe its intended for athletes, and it does a great job.

I have an idea... October 30, 2009 at 10:44 am

I wear a dress or skirt every day. I only wear pants when its extra cold or I everything else is in the wash. Ive done this junior high! I went through high school without a pair of jeans–and that was in the 70s. People sometimes look at me askance when Im gardening in the front yard in a dress, but hay. Im now a petite plus size, so I order nearly everything. In the summer I apply regular deoderant in discrete places. My favorites this summer were three pencil skirts made of stretchable denim from Avenue. I wore t-shirts to dress down and blouses or sweaters to dress up.

larkspur October 30, 2009 at 2:16 pm

I forgot it was IWADD yesterday and wore pants! I am mostly a skirt girl, but have been making more dresses now that I no longer nursing a baby.I wear skirts and dresses year round–they are much cooler in the summer and in the winter I wear them with tights and knee high boots and stay very warm. On inbetween days Ill wear them with the boots with kneesocks underneath.

buffpuff October 31, 2009 at 3:54 pm

I love dresses with an all-abiding passion and wear them quite willy-nilly and with impunity. I may even be one of the plus-size dress gals whose style youve admired on the internet.However I must, in defense of some of my fellow chubbettes, tell you that I endured what amounted to a 12 year Dress Drought during my late 30s and the majority of my 40s. I truly stink at sewing, (despite being the descendant of tailors), nor can I afford to pay someone else to make frocks for me. And Im a Brit – and the choice for fat Brits is not as wide or as varied as the choice for our American cousins. (I believe Australians and New Zealanders dont have a fantastic choice either). Our main plus-size manufacturers were either not offering dresses at all during that hellish chunk of my life, or, if and when they did, they were few, poorly made, hideous sleeveless polyester ankle-length shifts with high round necks. (If you were lucky theyd throw in a matching overpriced hip length long sleeved polyester blouse. Niiiiice). Believe me when I tell you Im not exaggerating.My personal lot has only improved because a non-plus-size manufacturer I favoured in my slightly less fat youth had the foresight to extend its size range significantly a couple of years ago. But they dont offer all their designs in larger sizes and quite often those they do make in my size frequently dont fit properly or work on my shape. Our major plus-size manufacturers have started to offer more dresses over the last 3 or 4 years but I still wouldnt bee seen dead in most of them – and my larger friends cant buy dresses from the shop I favour at all.

dawnrenee November 1, 2009 at 7:55 am

Re: not having a step-through bike and wearing skirts/dresses, heres a tip from Mr. Bike:lay the bike down; put one foot in the middle of the frame; pull the bike partway up; take your foot out of the frame; stand the bike all the way up; reverse to get off the bikeAnother bicycling tip: a large binder clip (I think some people call them bull clips) will turn just about any skirt or dress into one appropriate for riding a bike. I typically wear a knee-length A-line skirt for cycling and honestly dont care about flashing a bit of thigh, but sometimes I will clip a lighter weight skirt around one leg to keep it from blowing up into my face – not to mention scaring the horses on the streets. :o)On the topic of the post and many of these comments, I find the reasons why people dont wear skirts and dresses (other than personal preference) so interesting. I long ago realized that I was happier and more comfortable in skirts and dresses than I ever was in pants (including jeans) and shorts and have found them suitable for all occasions and activites. At this point, I only own one pair of pants – thin, white cotton drawstring pants that I occasionally wear to parties in the summer. Dresses are a lot more flattering on my curvy, vertically challenged body and they suit my lazy nature – all I have to do is pull on a dress, slip on my shoes, and go!

3KillerBs November 1, 2009 at 4:33 pm

I fear that, being unaware of IWADD, Thursday was the only day all week that I didnt wear a dress or a skirt. :( I was in jeans with the intent of harvesting my potatoes — until it unexpectedly rained. I loathe jeans — theyre uncomfortable and unflattering. But rough, dirty work is what jeans are FOR.Im a plus size and I believe that skirts and dresses are infinitely more comfortable and more flattering to a heavy figure than slacks (and especially jeans). The right choice of style accents the good points while skimming tactfully over the parts best concealed.For example if you, like me, have wide hips and a large rear, try a circle or half-circle skirt. You will be AMAZED.And if you chafe (personally, I break out from the rubbing when wearing jeans — the airflow from the skirts keeps things dry and healthy), I have two ideas for you:First, Gold Bond Body Powder. Also good for underarm rubs, under your bra band, and that flap that hangs down over your C-section scar if youre unlucky enough to have a hanging abdomen.Second, Civil War drawers http://www.elizabethstewartclark.com/GAMC/FP/PDF/Drawers.pdf which are amazingly comfortable — especially since you make them custom to your measurements. This is also a good solution to draftiness for a woman of any weight.BTW — most issues of draftiness, the pantyhose problem, and most modesty issues when active are easily solved by making the skirt longer. A mid-calf to ballerina-length skirt made at least 1/2-circle full will fall in graceful and concealing folds around your legs while allowing complete freedom of movement. And you can wear the same knee-highs and trouser socks that you wear with slacks.As a bonus, if you should happen to be short and dumpy the longer skirt will make you look taller.Finally, I guarantee that if you put on a pair of jeans and I put on a long wool skirt and we both go stand in the snow Ill be warmer. Especially if I layered on another wool skirt underneath.

Anonymous November 2, 2009 at 12:22 pm

It may have been noted here before, but since it was totally new and exciting for me not so long ago… Ive got to recommend Monistat Soothing Care Chafing Relief Powder-Gel. You can get it in almost any drugstore. I swear I dont work for that company, but Ive been able to go from a mostly pants to a predominantly dresses and skirts wardrobe since I bought my first tube a couple of years ago. Wonderful stuff!

Anonymous November 5, 2009 at 2:26 pm

I love dresses but dont wear them for two reasons:1. I am plus size with most fat around tummy. I didnt find a dress yet that didnt make me look like a cylinder. I dont sew but the 5 dresses I did buy through internet are sadly at the back of the closet due to fit issues.2. I almost never cross my legs (totally un-lady-like me!). Even with tights/panty hose, it appears more scandalous to not cross legs with dress/skirt than with pants. So, I am always on look out for below knee dresses. Yet, the best part of my body are my legs.Any suggestions?

3KillerBs November 7, 2009 at 9:25 am

Its true, no one looks good when they hang a cylinder of fabric from their largest measurement. And fit is ALWAYS an issue for plus-size women because were not all the same shape.Women who carry their weight in their middles rather than their hips tend to look great in drop-waist dresses. Another good look for that shape is a long, loose sweater or shirt over a narrow skirt. The loose top skims tactfully over the weight while the narrow skirt emphasizes good legs. Some of these are maternity dresses, but you can see the principle of how narrowing the silhouette at the hips emphasizes the shapely legs. http://www.isabellaoliver.com/maternity-wear-blog/Drop-Waist-Maternity-Dress.jpghttp://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/images/va/vanessa-bruno-drop-waist-dress.jpghttp://www.ashleystewart.com/ashleystewart/browse/productDetail.jsp?icProduct=8534WSSTicSort=%2Bordinalhttp://www.catherines.com/dresses-skirts/career-dresses/print-bodre-dress/4559c4560p26559/index.pro Its the upside-down version of the way I wear a fitted top to accent my chest and relatively small waist with a circle skirt to skim over my wide rear end.Learning to sew, or paying someone to sew for you, may be necessary, but if you try it youre likely to find that you look better than you imagined that you could look. :-)

Anonymous November 8, 2009 at 3:35 am

@3KillerBsThanks so much for the advice. I was mostly looking at empire waist dresses. The waist on them didnt hit the narrowest part of my waist and resulted in disasters.Also, those and drop-waist things mostly made me look pregnant.I will definitely be on the look out for that cute mock-two-piece dress.

3KillerBs November 9, 2009 at 3:42 pm

Im glad it was helpful.Regardless of which shape you have, the key to a great dress for a heavier woman seems to be to skim fabric lightly over the heaviest part while letting it cling to the best parts.Doing it can require some finagling. Being in my 40s now Im discovering that one of the privileges of middle-age is the freedom to ignore fashion and wear what you like. But trying to buy what you like when its out of fashion can be difficult.Youll probably never see me in a purple dress with a red hat, but I am wearing a fuchsia-pink skirt with a white blouse and a fuchsia shawl/scarf wound around my shoulders.Good luck.

3KillerBs November 9, 2009 at 3:42 pm

Anonymous November 10, 2009 at 6:46 am

Acting like a guy means doing whatever the hell you want whenever the hell you want until stopped by force (as far as I can tell).This absolutely cracked me up. Thanks for the laugh! Great writing!

John February 1, 2014 at 7:28 pm

You just don’t see many dresses in the offices these days…but the skirt suits look cool and I think should be worn more.