Linktastic Whatever-Today-Is

by Erin on October 30, 2009

Hoo-boy. Have I been busy (and it shows no signs of slowing down or stopping)!

Here's some stuff I would have written about, had I had the time:

City Quilter Subway fabric

That above is City Quilter's new NYC Subway fabric. (I love CQ and try to visit when I have a spare half-hour in NYC. Beautiful, well-laid-out quilt fabric store!)

Mary Beth sent me a link to the Home Sewing Is Easy fabric. Home Sewing IS easy, but maybe not as easy as shown here …

Our own Cookie's hilarious (and useful) post on hairstyles, over on LuciteBox.

Gwen has some really cute and useful fabric-yardage cards here (which you'll need if you don't just follow my advice in this post).

Robin sent me this link from eBay. Art lover? You want (or maybe don't want) to click.

I love this dress, from Jen at MOMSPatterns:

McCalls 3612

(She's also having a Spooktacular Sale for two days and two days only! Use coupon code 'spooky25' when you check out and you'll save a whopping 25% off of your orders. Code expires at the stroke of midnight on Halloween [EDT].)

Cookie October 30, 2009 at 1:25 pm

Ive always thought a sash like that is so regal and pretty…Princess Graces wedding dress had one like it. Thanks for the link to my hairdo article : )AND I love that subway fabric. It would make a neat lining for a jacket…or for childrens clothes, in case they get lost?

Anonymous October 30, 2009 at 1:54 pm

Cookie: Have you read a book called The Bombshell Manual of Style by Lauren Stover? I think you would adore it. Even though the bombshell adventures never do seem to happen to me, I keep hoping. Its a wonderful bathtub book, too. –Karen

Cookie October 30, 2009 at 1:57 pm

YES – I adore that book!!! Someone gave it to me as a gift, inscribed For my favorite bombshell (blush) It has not left my side since.

Gwen October 30, 2009 at 2:37 pm

Thank you so much for the link to my How Much Fabric? Reference Cards – and the reminder link to your advice! Its delightful! :)

Packrat October 30, 2009 at 3:09 pm

Cookie, I got such a laugh out of your hairdo article. No, Im not your mom, but I probably have some of those old magazines. lol Also, as I type this Im sitting at one of those little impractical desks. (At least my chair is more comfortable than the one shown in the picture.)Erin, thanks for sharing all the links and the pattern.

Lisa Simeone October 30, 2009 at 3:12 pm

Cookie, as ever, you are THE BOMB!! (not one of those chignon bombs, though)Erin, the subway fabric is beyond the beyond. And that Edvard Munch fabric is . . .. . . uh . . .. . . a scream?!Happy Halloween!

Anonymous October 30, 2009 at 3:27 pm

Bought some of that fabric today, after seeing it on True Up! Expect to see it as a shirt-dress soon…

lucitebox October 30, 2009 at 6:36 pm

Erin–wow! I am stunned by that subway print. Cookies right–coat lining all the way! Cookie–I couldnt agree with Lisa more. You *are* the bomb. Thanks for meetin me in the blogosphere. I hope youll be interested to write more…youre so good! Maybe you could show off the Swedish gardening girl tablecloth in its reincarnation. Thatd be swell! Happy Friday everyone!

val October 30, 2009 at 7:22 pm

Im currently considering all of the things I could use that subway fabric for. The pattern has a piece of the 7 line, which is the train I take everywhere. Love it!

sixties sewer October 31, 2009 at 10:36 am

I want the subway fabric.My 8th grade graduation dress (mid-last century) looked exactly like this pattern. It was a pink confection.

Cookie October 31, 2009 at 12:35 pm

The pattern has a piece of the 7 line, which is the train I take everywhere. Love it! I can spot the 1/2/3, which I used to take up and down the West Side. Transferring to the N and the R, to get to the catering company I worked for, was a horror. I remember knowing which subway cars to board at which spots on the platforms, to be near stairwells that made all the grubby transfering faster.

Anonymous October 31, 2009 at 11:13 pm

This pattern was my ninth grade formal, made in orchid organza. That was in 1961, by the way, and very Mad Men chic!

Charles November 11, 2009 at 10:10 pm

i love that pattern also! so classic and chic! =D