Such a (Paper) Doll (and sale)

by Erin on December 14, 2009

Simplicity 3815

When I ran across this dress I looked at it for a good five minutes trying to figure out what it reminded me of. Of course, that didn't work, and it was only after doing two or three unrelated things that I realized — the sleeve-and-neckline combo here reminds me of paper dolls! Not that that's a bad thing. I think you should get this pattern and make it for you and all your friends, then wander around holding hands, very stiffly.

This pattern is from Sheila at Out of the Ashes, and she's decided to have a last minute Christmas sale – so if anyone wants to make any presents or that special Christmas or New Year's dress you *may* have time. (I'm now planning to make a festive dress for a December 26th wedding, myself …) Sheila also needs to make room for some more patterns – she can only fit so many in that spare bedroom!

How much of a sale, you ask? TWENTY PERCENT OFF! Use coupon code MERRY for discount, sale ends Wednesday.

Joni December 14, 2009 at 6:29 am

…And its now mine. Thanks, Erin!

Jen December 14, 2009 at 8:14 am

Lucky you for snapping up this pattern!The plaid bias cut version has a sort of Claire McCardell thing going on. (and wouldnt it would be really cute with a wide leather belt?)

Theresa December 14, 2009 at 9:41 am

Very lovely, unfortunately already gotten and not my size. I would pout – but this being hte season and all ..and the song..you better not pout…

xstpenguin December 14, 2009 at 10:57 am

You could sew a white tab into the seams at various points, with letters on them. Nicely interfaced to stick up.Enhancing the effect would be to make the fronts out of a coloured fabric and the back from black or other neutral.Ok, I obviously need more stunt dressing in my life.Cheers,AJ

Anonymous December 14, 2009 at 11:24 am

Dear Dress a Day:Ive noticed that it is quite commonon 50s patterns to have a boat-neck dress, and a dress/sleeve combo;in other words, the sleeves are part of the bodice and not cut/sewn separately. Is this a style thingor were they not able to sew in sleeves? Thanks. A loyal reader.

Cookie December 14, 2009 at 12:52 pm

Wow…the girl on the right looks to be caught in a really high-wind gale! Shes practically Dorothy before she was blown away to Oz. Something makes me think shes on acid, too. Isnt there definitely SOMETHING going on with her?

Sara December 14, 2009 at 1:37 pm

Im still enjoying every post on your blog, but will you please, please post some more pix of dresses you have made??;)

Theresa December 14, 2009 at 4:40 pm

Anon at 12:24 –Erin has fondness for those types of sleeves — thats why you will see them alot here.As to the paper doll Stunt dress…I know what Im doing next year for halloween!

Rainy Daisy December 17, 2009 at 10:34 pm

holding hands, very stiffly. hee hee! Man, I loved paperdolls. You are right on, chica.

Joni July 29, 2012 at 10:58 pm

Extremely belatedly, here’s what I did with this pattern:
I did tweak the bodice a bit, but I couldn’t be happier with the finished product.

Silver July 30, 2012 at 9:20 am

Joni that looks totally adorable! I love the “separates” impression you created, can’t wait to try that out.