My First Heidi

by Erin on January 22, 2010

Remember way back when, last year, when I posted about this fabulous new BurdaStyle pattern I'd found, Heidi? I made three of them in quick succession and promised you pictures.

I finally got a battery charger for my camera (and then immediately found mine, in the last box unpacked after the move, isn't that always the way?) and so here is my first Heidi attempt:

Scribble Heidi

Notice how deep the neckline is? Yeah, me too. So I wear a long-sleeved black tee under this one. After this one I altered the pattern to not be as wide and deep, and I still have more of this fabric (glad I bought a ton of it, I love it and it's now sold out!) so I'm probably going to re-make the bodice. It goes together quickly (despite being lined) so that won't be the arduous slog it would usually be.

Oh, and I changed the tucks in the original pattern bodice to darts.

And look! It has pockets!

Scribble Heidi

The original pattern had very shallow pockets, but I deepened them by about three inches, which seems to work just fine. They go together very easily.

Here's the back:

Scribble Heidi

For some reason it was really hard to take sharp pictures of this particular print … I wonder why? And I'm sorry it looks so baggy — I adjusted my dress form WAY down to take some pictures of some smaller dresses with a friend, and she's still not back to her usual fighting form. The dress itself is fairly fitted.

As you can see, I didn't even bother to try to match the print. It's giant scribbles!

Next week I'll show the other two versions!

(Sorry, I don't know where this week went. Okay, I do know — it was trapped in busyland, with two writing deadlines, a couple of big meetings, and torrential California rain which caused minor flooding in our garage [WHICH IS STILL BETTER THAN SNOW!]. Next week, well, it doesn't look better, busy-wise, but it doesn't look like I need to start cadging ProVigil, either.)

Marla January 22, 2010 at 9:23 am

Wow! Youve showcased some fabulous fabrics before, but Ive never seen anything like this before. Love it!

Sheila / Out of the Ashes Collectibles January 22, 2010 at 9:35 am

Just when I think I have you pegged in a fashion box you burst out LOL

Packrat January 22, 2010 at 9:52 am

That fabric! I would have looked at it and run away, BUT it is gorgeous made up. I love the dress pattern, too.

Packrat January 22, 2010 at 9:53 am

PS: hope nothing got ruined in the garage!

tcarole January 22, 2010 at 10:19 am

FANTASTIC fabric! And it looks great as a dress. I would never think to make it into one, but thats pretty.

Nan Jaeger January 22, 2010 at 11:00 am

Great dress, I like how the swirly design and colors pop out against the dark background. Sometimes dark backgrounds make it difficult to have sharp images. But the photos look great though!

Steph in Kansas January 22, 2010 at 11:53 am

amazing fabric. I get a kick out of the more advanced seamstresses who can fix pockets and necklines and change darts, etc while the rest of us slug along. And, Id take snow in Kansas anyday over the daily fear of sliding into the Pacific! I really enjoy this site.:o)

the sewist January 22, 2010 at 12:57 pm

Youre right — matching giant multicolored scribbles would be silly, lets face it.

Kathryn January 22, 2010 at 1:12 pm

I love the fabric and thanks for the tips on this pattern in case we ever make it. I would not be comfortable wearing something this lowcut without something underneath either, but I do like the overall style and love a dress that has pockets.

Nicole January 22, 2010 at 1:22 pm

Was this the Vera Wang fabric from Fabric Mart? Im still kicking myself for not buying some yardage of this when it was still available.

Toni January 22, 2010 at 1:48 pm

Beautiful dress! I love the fabric too!Would love to see you model it!!!! Im in a quandary… mud walls or cut fabric for a new skirt…. hum….Toni in Wyhttp://sewingtoni.blogspot.com

Lisa Simeone January 22, 2010 at 1:53 pm

Oh, wow, this fabric is so cool! I just love it.But is the neckline really so low? Doesnt look like it. Looks, in fact, like a perfect portrait neckline, the most flattering neckline on any woman, IMO.You will gather envious gazes wherever you go in this.

Allie January 22, 2010 at 2:14 pm

Holy crap, what awesome fabric, and a great choice for that pattern. Very cute! Rock it!

Nathalie January 22, 2010 at 2:22 pm

I love the neckline as is, but looking at the positioning of the bust darts, I can believe that its one that calls for a plunge bra! That fabric is fabulous…

Erin January 22, 2010 at 2:37 pm

Yes — this is the Vera Wang fabric from Fabric Mart … they still have some of the chiffon available, I think!

Anonymous January 22, 2010 at 9:06 pm

sorry about the rain – I just returned from vacation in southern CA, so it is obviously all my fault. Love your blog!

Theresa January 23, 2010 at 12:22 am

YAY youre back and I was jsut going to send you an email that says – Voque has new patterns out and an updated site! Check out this beauty:http://voguepatterns.mccall.com/v8633-products-10775.php?page_id=174

Anonymous January 23, 2010 at 9:17 am

This is a very beautiful dress. Like you Erin, I would wear a black shirt or long sleeve turtleneck under it too. Way to go on fixing the pockets. Pockets should always be real deep to put things in or I like to keep my hands in them. You should really post a photo of you modeling it just like your denim skirt or crossword puzzle dress.

Model Citizen aka Bonnie Rue January 23, 2010 at 9:45 am

oh man – I would wear the sh*t out of this! loving every inch of this!

lucitebox January 24, 2010 at 4:56 pm

Love the cut on Heidi–even with the low neckline. The fabric is amazing. Its almost glowing from where Im sitting and it looks like its in motion. Fabulous. Even a tote bag would be awesome in this fabric, but Im glad you made a dress…would love to see it on you sometime. (Post pics!)

those tricks January 24, 2010 at 5:37 pm

love.and i agree – that neckline does not appear abonormally low……flaunt it!

katrinacurtain January 26, 2010 at 11:14 am

amazing fabric! love the dress too! :) good job!