Am I Blue?

by Erin on January 27, 2010

One more Heidi … for now (evil laugh):

Heidi again

I'm not sure if the color really comes across on your screen, but this dress is BLUE. Blue blue blue blue blue. The closest I can come to describing it is that this is the blue that I assumed they painted the Avonlea hall:

a deep, brilliant blue, the shade they use for painting carts and wheelbarrows.

Despite it being probably not so good a color for a community hall on Prince Edward Island, I quite like it as a dress!

Here's the bodice — note the lining which I deliberately pressed to show, for a kind of piping effect without the work:

Heidi again

And the same lining as the bodice for the pocket:

Heidi again

I have at least one more Heidi left to come — I managed to cut out FOUR of them in one evening, assembly-line style, and have finished one. Seriously, at this point I hardly want to wear anything else — they're just so comfortable!

Anonymous January 27, 2010 at 8:44 am

The blue is beautiful, but I wonder if its hard to press, or just not pressed for the picture? Do they offer any advanced level sewing classes in SF? It seems like with a few tweeks, this dress could look couture! Invest some time in learning to make your dresses turn out fabulous.

Steph January 27, 2010 at 9:04 am

Hey Anonymous, instead of snarking about Erins level of skill and pressing habits, perhaps you should just keep your helpful criticisms to yourself. I hope youre nobodys mother in law, but youve certainly got the thinly-veiled put-downs nailed. At least our lovely blogger has the guts to put her work out there for all to see, imperfections or not.Now that the spanking is over: This blue is quite striking, and I love your lining treatment and the fact that you chose to press it so its visible! My own Heidi pattern is waiting on a table full of fabric and patterns, but when I finally get to work on it, I hope mine turn out half as good as yours. I especially like the beautiful fabric from Mondays post–its gorgeous and really brings out Heidis ladylike qualities.

Steph January 27, 2010 at 9:04 am

Steph January 27, 2010 at 9:04 am

Steph January 27, 2010 at 9:05 am

sorry for the triple post, folks–I thought my browser was malfunctioning.

Dora January 27, 2010 at 9:21 am

I love this! I love all your Heidis. One day I want to make one using that Tetris fabric (itll be just the right thing to wear to a Dress a Day fan convention…).

Little Hunting Creek January 27, 2010 at 10:24 am

What a pretty dress – The lining as piping is smart too.

Packrat January 27, 2010 at 10:50 am

Truly, I think this is my favorite so far!

brocadegoddess January 27, 2010 at 11:33 am

I really need to make another one of these, youre right about it being so comfortable. And I get all kinds of compliments on mine. Thanks for the inpiration!I love this blue, and yes, this is also the colour I imagined on the Avonlea Hall (hooray Anne of Green Gables!).Although that print fabric of the second one is gor-gee-ous!Would love to see a pic of you IN one of these to get the really proper effect!

becky January 27, 2010 at 12:07 pm

YES! please post a pic of you IN the dress! ive been thinking of making Heidi also, and would love to get a better idea of fit.beautiful work!

Pattern Junkie January 27, 2010 at 12:09 pm

Love love love the blue. Must add this dress to my over-long list of patterns to try!

Anonymous January 27, 2010 at 12:23 pm

Your site wont load for me today! I am so sad. I can only see a little strip of the blue dress in the photo. Weird. Im not having this problem with any other site. Yikes. Ill check back tomorrow.Kim

CHRIS May 20, 2012 at 9:56 am

YOU DESERVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Janine Basil January 27, 2010 at 1:26 pm

That is a stunning shade of blue!I wish that dress would work for me, but I am such a pear it just wont at all… Ill stick to my full skirts :D

Julie January 27, 2010 at 1:34 pm

I love the piping and lining. Great idea! I printed out the pattern and plan to do a muslin for fit as my measurements are all over the place on the guide. Should be interesting!

Joni January 27, 2010 at 3:03 pm

I love to assembly line cut and sew 2 or 3 dresses at a time. I feel like you get a greater payout for the same amount of work.I love the lining-as-piping trick too – I wish I had known about it when I had less experience at sewing. (My linings *hardly ever* show, now that I finally learned about understitching. But on the other hand, I have never tried piping yet. So Im somewhere in the middle.)

alice January 27, 2010 at 5:07 pm

Love the dreesses. You are so clever with the lining, and the gorgeous fabrics. But really, we would love to see a pic of you wearing one, but then Id HAVE to make one too. Im sure I could make it work. Great job, beautiful dresses.

Anonymous January 27, 2010 at 5:20 pm
Teresa aka MarieSews January 27, 2010 at 5:33 pm

Love the blue. Love the dress. What type of fabric is it? It looks very elegant while also looking durable.

Sheena January 27, 2010 at 7:46 pm

I love how you add pockets to all of your dresses. Have you posted in the past what you do to alter the patterns? If not Id love to read how you do it!

Vegan January 28, 2010 at 1:45 am

Great dresses, although at my size, I think I would need more than 2 yards. ;-)

Jamie January 30, 2010 at 1:25 am

Just discovered your blog. Love the blue dress. Cant wait to read more.

KIRAFASHION January 30, 2010 at 8:31 am

Love this blue!

Anonymous January 30, 2010 at 11:01 am

I love this blue too! Next to the butterfly red one. I love too how you add pockets. I love pockets.

Anonymous February 2, 2010 at 5:20 pm

I love your choice of fabrics and patterns — what a treat these are. Was worried when I didnt see a post for a few days! Couldnt help but see the spanking Steph gave to the person who posted about the need to press. Because I am a faithful reader, I do remember that was one of your new years resolutions, so I am sure you didnt mind. And I DID have a mom that got after me about that and learned (after too many years!) it doesnt take long and makes all the difference. Thank you so much for sharing! NEVER STOP!!

Anonymous February 3, 2010 at 6:24 am

Can you tell me where I can get this pattern. Thanks

Anonymous February 3, 2010 at 6:24 am

Can you tell me where I can get this pattern. Thanks

Pam~Off The Cuff ~ February 3, 2010 at 6:52 am

Oh heck Erin, so what that you didnt press this one as well as you have some others.I am obsessive presser..the least little seam, zipper pucker or dart dimple makes me crazy, LOL!Must come from my years of tailoring background…sigh…So good for you that on this one good enough was good enough :)I just about went crazy pressing the latest shirt I designed with deep bias sleeve pleats…talk about a pressing nightmare…OMG !But I managed to do a pretty good job, along with a writing a tutorial about how to invisibly control pleats from the inside with Span Stitching.

Anonymous February 3, 2010 at 8:24 am
Anonymous February 4, 2010 at 7:27 pm

However, Pam off the cuff, I bet it looked swell with all that pressing!

Anonymous February 4, 2010 at 7:30 pm

I just posted that last comment and need to set up a Google account so I dont come off as someone hiding behind my anonymous post!! What shall I call myself? Mz. Trim? Love Off the Cuff, Pam!

Angela February 7, 2010 at 8:31 pm

Is this dress metafilter blue?! :)