More Liberty Stuff

by Erin on February 3, 2010

I recently set up a news alert for Liberty of London and I wish I hadn't. If I hadn't, I wouldn't have heard about the new MAC cosmetics/Liberty collaboration, which looks amazing (and I don't even wear that much makeup).

Liberty/MAC

Man, that lipstick looks cute. Although I never wear lipstick that isn't lip balm with color in it, and rarely even remember to wear that. I swear, with regular lipstick, I'm like a dog wearing a hat, doing my best to rub the damn thing off, already.

Liberty is also supposed to be doing a huge collaboration with Target, due to launch at about the same time. Will I want one of everything? Probably. There's supposedly everything from "bird houses and bicycles to lingerie."

Anyone else know of more Liberty stuff coming down the pipe? I have to plan for this stuff, people!

Julie February 3, 2010 at 1:58 pm

Were going to England in April. Liberty is on my list of places to visit in London. Judging from the on-line prices it will just be looking and drooling.

sarah February 3, 2010 at 3:28 pm

Have you seen the fabric collection Liberty did for the VA? Liberty fabrics, all prints based on the VAs textile collection. Pretty swoonable.

Hazel February 3, 2010 at 3:49 pm

I could, of course, make you (and Julie) jealous my telling you that I can wander round to Libertys almost any time I want! I dont because I know that my pension just wont stretch to purchasing anything (except perhaps a few remanants in the January sales). The store itself is worth a visit even you dont want to buy – and yes, the goods are really drool-worthy in real life.

jessica February 3, 2010 at 4:28 pm

Really must get in on this action, I missed out on Orla Kiely when she collaborated with Target. Oh man!

ravenrigan February 3, 2010 at 4:33 pm

A London resident for thirty years, I have always loved Liberty. But they started out as fashion rebels in victorian times growing out ot the Arts and Crafts Moement (the punks of the day) led by William Morris and all his pre Raphaelite chums, and were the leading retailer to pioneer the Artistic Reform dress movement, where women first abandoned their corsets, and wore flowing medieval gowns inpired by Pre-Raphaelite art.Its wonderful that their prints, many of the most famous ones little changed since that time, are still relevant and rebellious today.

Jo February 3, 2010 at 5:18 pm

Is this the moment when all your Brit readers can come out of the shadows and say Yay, we get to go there!? :-) It is a lovely shop, with faux Elizabethan galleries and balconies etc. But hey – yes – you may swallow hard at some of the prices.

Sara February 3, 2010 at 10:42 pm

Oh, that is exciting news!

Joni February 4, 2010 at 6:51 am

Liberty + Target… I love it.Im with you on the lipstick. I rarely ever wear it (to the extent that, when my toddler daughter ruined my one and only tube by smearing it all over the floor, I was like …meh.) BUT I have decided that what I really need to do is find the perfect, clear, 1940s red, and wear it, AND (this is the big thing) not feel self-conscious about it. Because the red lips of the 40s and 50s look good on pretty much anybody.

Joni February 4, 2010 at 6:51 am

Nathalie February 4, 2010 at 6:54 am

And speaking of all things Liberty, has anyone seen the new range of fabric designed by THE one and only Ray Harryhausen no less (who will be in the store for book-signing on 11th February!!!).

Nicole February 4, 2010 at 6:57 am

Im even more excited by this Harryhausen news than I am about the Target collaboration! I have a feeling I am going to be buying a lot of fabric and becoming very broke.

sarah February 4, 2010 at 7:27 am

Harryhausen fabric? what? Must rush off and find out about this.

Netter February 4, 2010 at 7:37 am

Liberty bicycle? Must have! Im in the market for one this spring, too!

Pattern Junkie February 4, 2010 at 9:38 am

Harryhausen fabric?! What?! I MUST find this!And yes, the VA collection is lovely — Erin, Ive been meaning to email you the link! Here it is: http://www.vandashop.com/section.php?xSec=357navlock=1

Renee February 4, 2010 at 9:47 am

In the current Hancocks of Paducah catalog there is a whole page of fabric designed by Kaffe Fasset for Liberty of London, on a lighter weight cotton @ $8.98 per yard! Some of the prints are great paisleys, and some are only so-so.I plan on ordering just enough for a summer blouse to see how it looks in real life.

lucitebox February 4, 2010 at 9:57 am

I read a lot of decor/design blogs. Libertys new Target line (of housewares) is burning up the internets. I cant wait to see what they do with the clothes for Target. Also and an aside–I also noted that Jean Paul Gaultier is doing a Target line?! What next, Target?

Sz February 4, 2010 at 11:23 am

Lets hope Target does a better job with Liberty and Gaultier than they did with Rodarte. I looked and looked for Rodate. Finally found one small rack. Everything in S or SX. And not all the styles that were supposed to have been released.When I asked the store, they said thats all they got.Meh!

Cookie February 4, 2010 at 1:45 pm

Joni: the vintage-looking red lipstick I like is called Rouge Passion by Max Factor. I has a navy understone. It isnt a harsh stoplight red that jumps out, its just a good, classic red.Strangely, I cant find any references to it online…which is weird, because its been around forever. Otherwise, would point you toward something. It was once part of the MouistureRich collection.MAC makes many beautiful shades of lipstick, but they dont have a ton of staying power and have to be reapplied. BUT the Liberty print containers are pretty irresistable!

Cookie February 4, 2010 at 1:45 pm

Cookie February 4, 2010 at 2:22 pm

This is a post from Cookies other avatar. Theres nothing currently known as a lipstick understone. The other avatar meant undertone, and is also sorry about the double post.Carry on.

"Cornelia Jackson" February 4, 2010 at 8:57 pm

These Liberty compacts and lipstick cases (though not the lipstick shade itself) remind me of Yardley of Londons mid-60s packaging. (After all these years, I still wish I looked like Jean Shrimpton. . . . )

Nora February 7, 2010 at 7:53 am

P.S. Liberty print bird houses? That would be the perfect kind to make in your soul.nice one, Joni! Im making one now…I still have about 1.5m of Liberty lawn that I cant bear to cut into, out of fear of messing it up. It was on sale and still pretty steep.